Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you're making Avatar to Star Wars analogies, pro-bending is clearly pod-racing, and pod-racing is awesome, so there. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Somberbrero posted:

If you're making Avatar to Star Wars analogies, pro-bending is clearly pod-racing, and pod-racing is awesome, so there. :colbert:

Look, if I wanted to watch mannequins sit in place and rock back and forth occasionally while making vroom vroom noises, I'd do more drugs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If pro-bending is podracing then Tahno is Sebulba.

:stare:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pro-bending is good, but not that good. No movie has ever been made anything but better by adding a chariot race to it. It's just science.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So you're saying Korra should resolve her differences with the Red Lotus via the hot new sport of Bender Racing? Because I can get behind that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TheModernAmerican posted:

The lion turtle thing was a bit dumb, but it's not like he just suddenly figured it all out with no warning. There was at least minimal set up.

A turtle touched his forehead and Aang suddenly grew the never-before-referenced power to make it so he doesn't have to kill anyone just like he wanted. How's there setup?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 30, 2014

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
That was a bit super convenient..

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah but it also involved a massive teaching moment and one of the apex bits of character interaction/development of the series. A better comparison would probably be the end of Book 1 where Aang just gets Koizilla powers out of the blue and smashes all the poo poo when, by all rights, they really should have lost that battle, but didn't because

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I would have preferred it if Aang had just stopped being such a goddamn pussy bitch and killed the firelord like everyone told him to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It isn't like Korra went from 0 to airbending in nothing flat. Over the course of the series we see her demonstrating both a natural affinity towards Airbending moves when not pushed (during the Pro Bending game) and the ability to be spiritual and meditate, even if she had to be forced into a box to do it. A big part of her problem was mental, including the fact that she had other elements she could fall back on. (Something that is both said and visually demonstrated with her airbending frustrations changing over to other elements.)

It wasn't handled well in the end of Book 1 but it wasn't completely out of nowhere that she was on the verge of airbending and needed a push to do it. The fact that it wasn't Tenzin's method doesn't invalidated it so much as it was kind of poorly presented. Season 3 also seems to be trying to retroactive redeem this further by (spoiled for the guy still watching the earlier season) having a bunch of Airbenders who demonstrably do not cling to the Air Nomad ways and seem to be using their own methods of Airbending.

A lot of Korra's problems are less poor concept than poor execution. I would argue even showing Korra's airbending as an intentional movement instead of a frantic punch would have helped sell it better. It's justified in-setting, especially after The Beginning, but would feel more satisfying if it looked less random.

Season 2's deus-ex-machina ending is a lot less justified because while Jinora having weird powers is set up, it isn't set up to that goddamn degree. They appear to, again, be attempting to retroactively justify it in Season 3 but Jinora really needed to be better set up for her sudden out-of-nowhere thing to really work.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 30, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So on the subject of China-themed animation, has anyone heard anything about Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms? Cuz I have no idea what the hell the plot is, and I don't know whether this looks awesome or just contrived.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShadowCatboy posted:

So on the subject of China-themed animation, has anyone heard anything about Master Jiang and the Six Kingdoms? Cuz I have no idea what the hell the plot is, and I don't know whether this looks awesome or just contrived.

That does look really goddamn nice.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the traditional animation in the trailer was done by just two animators: Li Wei and Pei Fei.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Bongo Bill posted:

Pro-bending is good, but not that good. No movie has ever been made anything but better by adding a chariot race to it. It's just science.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuhrWESMHtc

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShadowCatboy posted:

Wakfu?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

A turtle touched his forehead and Aang suddenly grew the never-before-referenced power to make it so he doesn't have to kill anyone just like he wanted. How's there setup?
An equally effective way of taking away a bender's powers without killing them is to just cripple their limbs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

An equally effective way of taking away a bender's powers without killing them is to just cripple their limbs.

Yeah, uh, pretty sure Iroh and Bumi'd disagree with you there.

Also Combustion Man and at least two members of the bad guy team from the current season.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well they mentioned lion turtles before hand, and it happens at least five minutes before he uses it. I used the word minimal for a reason. Korra on the other hand, demonstrates the ability to move around like an airbender, then suddenly is capable of airbending strongly enough to knock someone on their rear end and out a window. And she doesn't even do the wavey airy action she learned in that rotating panel test, she just punches the air really hard and it works for no reason.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Bongo Bill posted:

There is that. An improvised scheme to lure Korra into pursuing the Red Lotus, without making it look too easy? I can see that.

Varrick's a fun villain because his motives are so eccentric that he really could go either way.

Zaheer called for plan b, but then they didn't do anything but continue their defense and attempt to break out.

This is why I'm giving the "Su is a traitor" any consideration - plan a is kidnap, plan b is make Korra come after them. It would be really bad writing to have Su be evil since the theme this season is change and we've spent 2 episodes on the fact she changed, but bad writing is a thing that happens.

I dunno, we'll see

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

If pro-bending is podracing then Tahno is Sebulba.

:stare:

Considering fan reaction that is incredibly accurate

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well they mentioned lion turtles before hand, and it happens at least five minutes before he uses it. I used the word minimal for a reason. Korra on the other hand, demonstrates the ability to move around like an airbender, then suddenly is capable of airbending strongly enough to knock someone on their rear end and out a window. And she doesn't even do the wavey airy action she learned in that rotating panel test, she just punches the air really hard and it works for no reason.

Well, a few things to note:

Korra didn't just demonstrate the the ability to move like that. She also showed in an earlier episode that she was capable of getting more in-touch with her spiritual side when she contacted Aang in the past life. This was also an important part of her training and she succeeded at it.

The second is that bending, the martial art, and bending the manipulation of elements are not the same thing. Wan's adventures showed us this much. The ability to bend and perform simple elemental manipulation (like, say, tossing a heavy ball of air) is not tied to the specific martial arts. It is the more complex movements that allow for more complex actions but any Bender can perform simple manipulation without much training. We see examples of this throughout both shows. Bending is not "martial arts = you can do things." It's an innate inborn talent that the martial arts hones and forms into techniques. In that scene Korra uses Pro-Bending style punches which are not any less valid as a technique than anything else in the show, especially when all she's doing is raw powerful punches.

It's very sudden but it didn't work 'for no reason.' It worked because Korra spent the entire season getting into a place where it could work and, left without any other options, made it work. The actual moment was poorly presented for certain but it was built up over the season.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 30, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I suppose. There's been a problem for me in both series with how the Avatar learns bending. It goes from no knowledge, to basic techniques, to lifting a one ton boulder and sending it flying. It would make a bit more sense if there were more scenes like Aang learning from Jeong, just making a leaf smolder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suppose. There's been a problem for me in both series with how the Avatar learns bending. It goes from no knowledge, to basic techniques, to lifting a one ton boulder and sending it flying. It would make a bit more sense if there were more scenes like Aang learning from Jeong, just making a leaf smolder.

Well, it's important to remember that the Avatars don't have no knowledge. They may not have active knowledge but they have innate subconscious knowledge from their past lives. That's how they identified Aang as the Avatar for example and it shows up from time to time. So in the case of the Avatar it's less "learning everything new" and more a bizarre reincarnated refresher course.

Edit: And don't get met wrong, it was still presented really badly, but Korra Season 1 desperately needed at least one more episode instead of packing 1-2 episodes of plot beats into the last five minutes of the season.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 30, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

If Korra lost the memories of bending of all the previous avatars, why is she still able to bend all four elements like a master?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

If Korra lost the memories of bending of all the previous avatars, why is she still able to bend all four elements like a master?

She still has Raava.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

She still has Raava.

Right, so she's still able to bend all four elements, of course. But I said like a master e.g. more than your basic "punch fire, lift rock" technique.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DrSunshine posted:

Right, so she's still able to bend all four elements, of course. But I said like a master e.g. more than your basic "punch fire, lift rock" technique.

Because she's developed those skills over the course of her life up to that point. Her memories of bending in this life, which are a lot of memories, persist.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
^Exactly. It's muscle memory. She's been bending at that level for years now, independent of the past Avatars. They might have accelerated her learning, but destroying her connection to that doesn't instantly make her unlearn.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Because she's developed those skills over the course of her life up to that point. Her memories of bending in this life, which are a lot of memories, persist.

Ah yes, that's true. I'd forgotten the scene where she was bending 3 elements by the age of, like, 3.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Ah yes, that's true. I'd forgotten the scene where she was bending 3 elements by the age of, like, 3.

And then she went through years of training after that to master those elements.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Spergatory posted:

^Exactly. It's muscle memory. She's been bending at that level for years now, independent of the past Avatars. They might have accelerated her learning, but destroying her connection to that doesn't instantly make her unlearn.

I was always under the impression that the Avatar only had direct access to those skills and techniques of the past Avatars while in the Avatar state, anyways--which is why they had to go through the process of learning all the bending styles again each time instead of just knowing them.

Also explains why we probably won't be seeing the Avatar state much if at all anymore--with all the past Avatars gone, it's no different than Korra is normally all the time.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Octopode posted:

Also explains why we probably won't be seeing the Avatar state much if at all anymore--with all the past Avatars gone, it's no different than Korra is normally all the time.

She's still tapping into the power of Raava, and it does seem to give her a serious power boost.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Octopode posted:

I was always under the impression that the Avatar only had direct access to those skills and techniques of the past Avatars while in the Avatar state, anyways--which is why they had to go through the process of learning all the bending styles again each time instead of just knowing them.

It also means the Avatar travels around the world to each of the nations and gets to know the people and culture of each, which is pretty important.

And then Korra was locked away at the South Pole for 17 years.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Octopode posted:

I think it still heightens her connection to the spirit world through Raava, so its useful for trying to control rogue spirits.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Combed Thunderclap posted:

She's still tapping into the power of Raava, and it does seem to give her a serious power boost.

If anything, she's the new Wan. Wan 2.0, if you will :downsrim:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Avatar State is still a serious power boost in that it allows her to bend all four elements simultaneously rather than just quickly switching back and forth between them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Avatar State is still a serious power boost in that it allows her to bend all four elements simultaneously rather than just quickly switching back and forth between them.

Not only that, there is the cosmic power thing, which is a direct power boost.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

As many warts as S2 has, if you go into it with a pessimistic attitude, you won't have a fun time at all and you're better off skipping to the parts people consider the highlights and then diving right into S3.
I liked S2 more than S1, but I went into S1 with high expectations and S2 with no expectations, only watching it recently because I heard S3 was a return to form. I think the back half of S2 was fine. The characters were done better, the fights were well-animated, and the plot rear end-pulls were about par for the course given the genre.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't like Korra went from 0 to airbending in nothing flat. Over the course of the series we see her demonstrating both a natural affinity towards Airbending moves when not pushed (during the Pro Bending game) and the ability to be spiritual and meditate, even if she had to be forced into a box to do it. A big part of her problem was mental, including the fact that she had other elements she could fall back on. (Something that is both said and visually demonstrated with her airbending frustrations changing over to other elements.)

It wasn't handled well in the end of Book 1 but it wasn't completely out of nowhere that she was on the verge of airbending and needed a push to do it. The fact that it wasn't Tenzin's method doesn't invalidated it so much as it was kind of poorly presented. Season 3 also seems to be trying to retroactive redeem this further by (spoiled for the guy still watching the earlier season) having a bunch of Airbenders who demonstrably do not cling to the Air Nomad ways and seem to be using their own methods of Airbending.

A lot of Korra's problems are less poor concept than poor execution. I would argue even showing Korra's airbending as an intentional movement instead of a frantic punch would have helped sell it better. It's justified in-setting, especially after The Beginning, but would feel more satisfying if it looked less random.

Season 2's deus-ex-machina ending is a lot less justified because while Jinora having weird powers is set up, it isn't set up to that goddamn degree. They appear to, again, be attempting to retroactively justify it in Season 3 but Jinora really needed to be better set up for her sudden out-of-nowhere thing to really work.

What interested me going through that effort was how Korra's opposing Element wasn't fire but was based on personality so her opposing element was Air; Korra had the stubborn "GRRR" Smash-Your-Way-Through-It Earthbender mentality while also favouring Fire, because she's aggressive.

With Aang it was Earth since he had the natural evasive airbender mentality by default, so it was interesting seeing it be different with Korra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

What interested me going through that effort was how Korra's opposing Element wasn't fire but was based on personality so her opposing element was Air; Korra had the stubborn "GRRR" Smash-Your-Way-Through-It Earthbender mentality while also favouring Fire, because she's aggressive.

With Aang it was Earth since he had the natural evasive airbender mentality by default, so it was interesting seeing it be different with Korra.

It's interesting that this season, where we've all noticed she is much more calm and even headed, she's only used fire twice - against the vines and when they shot her with the dart.

The rest of the time air has been pretty common for her.

• Locked thread