Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Starting today, PR just force-changed everybody's desktop background image because of some new branding campaign they're doing. People are freaking the gently caress out.

I don't know if anyone else has heard of SnapComms, but they provide "internal communication" in the form of mandatory popup windows. For everybody, even those assisting customers. Also starting today, those popups are instead a ticker right above the taskbar. I've heard that for some machines, it locks up the machine until you close it.

On Thursday, "a full screen video will launch upon user logon in the morning". To introduce this ad campaign to the employees.

But the best loving part? This is supposed to be a surprise.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

Starting today, PR just force-changed everybody's desktop background image because of some new branding campaign they're doing. People are freaking the gently caress out.

I don't know if anyone else has heard of SnapComms, but they provide "internal communication" in the form of mandatory popup windows. For everybody, even those assisting customers. Also starting today, those popups so that they are instead a ticker right above the taskbar. I've heard that for some machines, it locks up the machine until you close it.

On Thursday, "a full screen video will launch upon user logon in the morning". To introduce this ad campaign to the employees.

Create an automated message for your helpdesk explaining the situation. Also have it explain that you are passed out drunk under your desk as a result of said changes.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

anthonypants posted:

I don't know if anyone else has heard of SnapComms, but they provide "internal communication" in the form of mandatory popup windows. For everybody, even those assisting customers. Also starting today, those popups so that they are instead a ticker right above the taskbar. I've heard that for some machines, it locks up the machine until you close it.

Does PR run your IT infrastructure or did this get implemented? I'd refuse that sorta request so hard and write up PR for sabotaging the company or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nothing says effective company branding like a surprise video that resembles a virus.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Your company must be poo poo if they spend that much effort selling themselves to the employees.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Be a drat shame if that startup video accidentally changed to Staplerfahrer Klaus or something...

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

anthonypants posted:

Good lord...

And I thought it was bad enough having force a lovely cluttered "company slogan and conduct" wallpaper on everyone's desktop, complete with automatic idle logout after 5 loving minutes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How long is the video? Are people going to have to come in early to learn about this totally awesome and assuredly in-touch new branding effort?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Is there a way besides groups to not update existing pcs wallpapers? Im thinking at some point I want legacy devices to have legacy branding as well.

Im guessing no but im no ad wizard.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Be a drat shame if that startup video accidentally changed to Staplerfahrer Klaus or something...

Dance of the Manwhore! Dance of the Manwhore!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

anthonypants posted:

Do you know how they're doing the video? I can think of a couple ways to hack a fullscreen video at next login only, but they're all messy. Then you're going to get the handful of corporate zombies where the video doesn't work at logon for some reason, but they really want to see it, so they'll open tickets about where to see the video, can you make the video come up again, etc.

Our intranet videos are all done in Quicktime, so we have to support Quicktime on every machine. I keep trying to drum up support to force a change over to HTML5, but god forbid we release an internal video without DRM. Someone might steal our video on how to be sensitive to people in wheelchairs!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
let me tell you how much I despise citrix receiver and sage timberline

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

let me tell you how much I despise citrix receiver and sage timberline

Everything Sage makes is the worst software ever.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

We still support peach tree

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

death .cab for qt posted:

We still support peach tree

So do we! Mainly because there's no scope for that sort of thing when it comes to MSPs it seems.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Super Slash posted:

complete with automatic idle logout after 5 loving minutes.

Idle logout? That would miss me off to no end.

Old place we enforced an idle lock after 5 minutes. It was part of the security policy since people dealt with PII all day, and enforced by our much much bigger clients.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Yup, que whole office getting their panties in a bunch because their workstations lock out every time they're dealing with client calls, or going over documentation/correspondence.
Go direct to the boss, do not pass go, do not collect £200 (until said boss is overwhelmed and gives in to let me set it to at least 15 minutes)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

How long is the video? Are people going to have to come in early to learn about this totally awesome and assuredly in-touch new branding effort?
I'll find out on Thursday! Sometimes there's video announcements from the CEO or other C-levels on the intranet home page, and those are only a minute or so.

Knormal posted:

Do you know how they're doing the video? I can think of a couple ways to hack a fullscreen video at next login only, but they're all messy.
I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say it's via the product that I keep mentioning.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

anthonypants posted:

I'll find out on Thursday! Sometimes there's video announcements from the CEO or other C-levels on the intranet home page, and those are only a minute or so.
I don't know, but if I had to guess I'd say it's via the product that I keep mentioning.

I hope they use this as the default. You got a message bro!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pr0digal posted:

I hope they use this as the default. You got a message bro!

Nah that's not branded enough.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

death .cab for qt posted:

I have no idea for restaurants

But I'll take every opportunity to day this, every time somebody mentions the hospitality business

gently caress. Opera.

Ditto. Opera isn't terrible, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to fix problems, even if you've done nearly all the work for them. If you're considering buying opera, find their support line and see how long it takes to get someone on the phone.

A voicemail came in today
"I need emergency help in [location]. *click*"

If you don't answer the phone when I call back, don't be surprised when I show up with security and a medic.

The emergency was that cigarettes were having a $1 tax per pack applied

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

That was us a month ago, although ours is wellness related. Glad they haven't discovered a way to push video to people yet, although most people are on thin clients that would probably melt if they had to show a video.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

deimos posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with Hospitality PoS systems? I figure I'd ask here to see what software/hardware to avoid for my brother's restaurants (I am not doing installs, I am just free consulting).

Not sure about what is available where you are but around here it is a case of they are all poo poo, it just happens that one company is slightly less poo poo.
The worst thing about this particular company is that they offer three different levels of support. Bronze, Silver Gold. Gold is 24/7 call someone up and get a fix within a short time. Silver is something like 8am to midnight best effort. Bronze is Mon-Fri 9-5 best effort. Because the hospitality industry runs on thin margins everyone seems to use bronze. So check that the support hours match the hours the restaurant will be doing business.
One thing is to try to source the POS terminal hardware etc through the software supplier and not somewhere else as then they can't wriggle out of issues by blaming the hardware. Although double check on what they use for a back end and insist on something more robust than just popping the DB on one of the terminals.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
PoS will never stop being funny, especially if you've had to support them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This e-mail from my manager just came in:

quote:

As a follow up to my email last night about the campaign please see the below talking points for our team received by PR as they have been hearing some users have questions/concerns about the wallpaper.

Talking points:

• We are very excited about what is being unveiled throughout this week
• It is temporary and your desktop will be restored to its original state soon
• This is an important initiative and we are trying very hard to get everyone’s attention
• There is lots more to come!
• Be patience, sit back and enjoy the ride!

Please direct any customer comments and concerns to Communications@domain.com

Remember we are the face of IT, make us look good! =)

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
I feel bad for your manager.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > A ticket came in: Be patience, sit back and enjoy the ride!

On a slightly related topic, I'd love to ban all staff in all companies from ever writing "excited" unless they're discussing high-energy particles or something. The word has been abused so much that it's now a fine pink mist resembling that scene from Itchy and Scratchy where they're riffing off the Sorcerer's Apprentice and Itchy has become a collection of tiny nano-Itchies, each taking an axe to Scratchy's blood cells and :suicide:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

anthonypants posted:

Starting today, PR just force-changed everybody's desktop background image because of some new branding campaign they're doing.

Sort of related...we got a new phone system and Cisco phones capable of video, that let us customize the phone background. We have 2 offices about an hour apart connected by a not-so-great VPN connection that works, but needs to be upgraded. Twice now in the last week, one of our genius phone/network techs decided to do the whole ~*silly random funny*~ background change on the phones.

The problem? Both times, people in my office were on phone calls, and because of the lag with VPN, it rebooted the phones and kicked them off the calls they were on. My manager was LIVID to say the least, as were a few clients who called back and gave our guys an earful for getting disconnected.

Moral? Just because something doesn't affect one office, doesn't mean it won't affect the other. Said phone/network guy has been told that any changes will be done outside work hours, even if it's a stupid background change.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainGimpy posted:

I feel bad for your manager.
Please, don't be.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Inspector_666 posted:

Everything Sage makes is the worst software ever.

We have three of their products

:(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
fwiw BusinessWorks is the only Sage product I've encountered that isnt grade-A bullshit

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I run a FAS install and it's been OK. Way better than when I ran it on a Novell platform.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

anthonypants posted:

• It is temporary and your desktop will be restored to its original state soon
Unless the wallpaper change was done through that third-party software and it keeps track somehow, "original state" is likely going to mean default Windows blue, and everyone's going to be calling up for help finding that picture of their daughter's graduation or whatever. Or more likely not want to open a ticket for it because they know it's not work related, but just grab the IT people as they walk by because "it's not that important, but it'd be nice if..." Somehow people always manage to copy all kinds of personal pictures onto their work PC then never be able to find them again.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Whoa, might just be :yotj: for me.

A really interesting internal posting literally dropped in my lap. The official announcement went live yesterday, but I was asked if I was interested last week.

I hope this goes well!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with Hospitality PoS systems? I figure I'd ask here to see what software/hardware to avoid for my brother's restaurants (I am not doing installs, I am just free consulting).

I've seen some places with Vivonet and they're all pretty happy with it:
http://www.vivonet.com/products/point-of-sale/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

Please keep us posted, this sounds like a magnificent story waiting to unfold :magical:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Be patience, sit back and enjoy the ride! 

That's very Zen of him. Not just be patient, but be patience itself.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
First email exchange for the day:

:v: blah....blah....blah

:) If you click ok does the page load or does it take you back to the log in screen?

:v: yes

:commissar:

Come on man! Help me help you.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Kroll On-Track can't seem to open this Exchange database...
What the hell...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Billy the Mountain posted:

Kroll On-Track can't seem to open this Exchange database...
What the hell...

Is that 281 petabytes? :stare:

• Locked thread