Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

It may have required the heroic sacrifice of some decals off of a 1/72 scale Hawker Hurricane model kit, but I think it adds a nice touch to these (still in progress) Britannia carriers :britain:

This is for Dystopian Wars, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A quick Mortarion WIP:

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Pacheeco posted:

Are you using Vallejo Game Color, Model Color or Model Air? Applied with an airbrush or a paint brush? What color is your primer/base coat? Yellow via brush can be a super pain if you haven't set yourself up properly and even if you do expect to be putting down at least 3 times as many coats as even slightly darker colors.

I -think- it's Game Color (not at home right now, can't check), applied via brush because I haven't learned how to control an airbrush yet.

I primed with black matter spray, then I applied a layer of brown over the parts of the armor I wanted to color. I did this for all the miniatures since I hadn't decided what was going to be what color.

But yeah, yellow is proving to be a pain to handle. In the "finished" picture, I also had that problem with the orange that you can see on the white-armored one.

I wonder if mixing a drop of it in the much thicker white would give me a nice solid color to start with.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

A quick Mortarion WIP:

Any chance you could post how you do the off-white? My Death Guard need a lot of work. :smith:

ps he looks so doofy without silence and his base

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I like where you're going with the skin tone and the hood. I think FW's is too pale and chalky looking.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like where you're going with the skin tone and the hood. I think FW's is too pale and chalky looking.

Every primarch I've done so far has looked like he is doing a dance mid pre-basing, this is amazing

Horus was doing ballet:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Any chance you could post how you do the off-white? My Death Guard need a lot of work. :smith:

Its just white (specifically Model Air white from an airbrush, but skull white from a rattlecan would work) and then washed with Seraphim Sepia thinned with Lahmian Medium.

Highlighted back up again with thinned Scar White.

It's surprisingly easy (and robbed directly from the forgeworld guide)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

Every primarch I've done so far has looked like he is doing a dance mid pre-basing, this is amazing

Horus was doing ballet:

Haha, that pose without the stariway just looks silly. Great paintjob though.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

To break up my muted colored 40k army, I wanna do something bright and flashy. Chris Foss is my favorite concept artist so I'm thinking about doing an homage to him:

I'm thinking either mostly white with red stripes or mostly yellow with black or red stripes and contrasting cockpits. Basically, a palette like this:

I think it would look great, I'm hyped to see how it turns out.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Where's the cheapest place to get Green stuff? Or is there another product that does the same thing?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's also called Kneadatite

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
:siren: OK folks, last call to get in on the group purchase of Tabletop World terrain! I am placing the order tomorrow (Wednesday July 30th) morning and we are well over the 500 Euro minimum to get FREE shipping to the US and 25% off everything in the order. PM me or email blackmoonnh at gmail to get in on it. I am shipping it from New Hampshire, and will only ask for payment once I have the terrain in hand.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Decided to work on Krom Dragongaze today after receiving the Space Wolves half of Stormclaw from LingcodKilla the other day.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the great feedback berzerkmonkey + Weirdo. I threw together a quick mockup:

I think I'll run both- my tanks can be one color and my airplanes the inverse.

Any recommendations on a really saturated red and gold paint? I've never painted a red or yellow this vibrant.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Search around for Heresy Imperial Fists - most of the yellows and reds (and weathering) look just like your mockups.

This guy lists his paints at the bottom of the post, and this guy does a full process although a little more orangey than what you want.

I can't do yellow without an airbrush, but general consensus from people is lots of layering (like white) using your choice of Vallejo Game Colours and ample inks/washing. My style is very unsaturated and beaten-up so don't have any experience with bright crisp colours unfortunately.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

BULBASAUR posted:

Thanks for the great feedback berzerkmonkey + Weirdo. I threw together a quick mockup:

Any recommendations on a really saturated red and gold paint? I've never painted a red or yellow this vibrant.

Those look sharp, man. I look forward to seeing the final results.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I agree, both of those mock-ups look great, I especially like the red one.

In other news, the sticker on my Halfords black primer amused me.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
/\/\/\
:hfive: grey primer supremacy

Started work on an Asterion Moloc I have lying around. Good way to get back into the swing of things after a hiatus. I really prefer this dheneb/sepia scheme to the bullshit metallic catastrophe I tried before

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Which wash would you suggest for use over blue, black or dark blue?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Verisimilidude posted:

Which wash would you suggest for use over blue, black or dark blue?

Black. Though, what I *really* preferred once upon a time was a white basecoat and then a dark blue glaze. Though I was painting a tzeentchi chaos army so YMMV.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

BULBASAUR posted:

You may like to see these. http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/hiigaran-battle-group-boxet.html

Hiigaran is a faction from the Homeworld series.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Mothership.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

Creepy Goat posted:

/\/\/\
:hfive: grey primer supremacy

Started work on an Asterion Moloc I have lying around. Good way to get back into the swing of things after a hiatus. I really prefer this dheneb/sepia scheme to the bullshit metallic catastrophe I tried before

I really like the look of that, nicely done.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Is there another name for "vallejo game air" ?

It's listed as a line of paints from their website, but I am not seeing it at any retailers?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My friend used some seraphim sepia and it's left a gross white residue on his model. He says he shook the poo poo out of it, and that it's worked fine before.

I think a goon had a similar issue a few months back, is there any way to fix it or is it time to strip?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

BULBASAUR posted:

It's listed as a line of paints from their website, but I am not seeing it at any retailers?

I've heard it also called Vallejo Model air.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

ijyt posted:

I agree, both of those mock-ups look great, I especially like the red one.

In other news, the sticker on my Halfords black primer amused me.

That gets me every time. Yo I heard you like primer so I added primer to your primer so you can prime when you prime your prime. No you're alright thanks Halfords, I'll just stick with the one coat of black for now.

LumberingTroll posted:

You may like to see these. http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/hiigaran-battle-group-boxet.html

Hiigaran is a faction from the Homeworld series.

Every time I see homeworld related stuff, I have to slap myself and hide my wallet before something really stupid happens. :argh:

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

So, after my painting disaster and stripping all the paint off, I decided that painting one mini at a time was a better idea.

This was my first proper attempt at painting in about 15 years.

Nothing compared to most on here, but I'm only really interested in it to paint the Deadzone mini's so I can play it.

These warmachine ones are just for practise.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

As a Khador player, that is very very nice. Don't talk yourself down!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

It's not Game Air, it's Model Air or just Air.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Game Air is their newest line, I'm not sure if it is even released yet.

They also have a new line that is the new Citadel technical paints like Blood and Rust.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They also have a new line that is the new Citadel technical paints like Blood and Rust.

Oh poo poo what is it called? Citadel technical paints is the last thing they have on me

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Currently I have 21 models on slotta bases which do not need to be. Now that I'm finally starting to base my guys, it's time to make some decisions re: these slottas. Should I try green stuffing the slot closed? Has anyone tried this? I'm trying to decide if that is a good use of my time / green stuff vs just buying 21 more bases.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

Currently I have 21 models on slotta bases which do not need to be. Now that I'm finally starting to base my guys, it's time to make some decisions re: these slottas. Should I try green stuffing the slot closed? Has anyone tried this? I'm trying to decide if that is a good use of my time / green stuff vs just buying 21 more bases.

I've done greenstuffing the slotta closed. I greatly prefer buying deep bases instead if I'm going to base at all.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ignite Memories posted:

The drawback of not using basing material.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Game Air is their newest line, I'm not sure if it is even released yet.

Fuuuuck looks like I will be buying more Vallejo paints :D glad I made this last rack with extra room, but I can see I will have to add at least another module to it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I've done greenstuffing the slotta closed. I greatly prefer buying deep bases instead if I'm going to base at all.

Why? It doesn't seem terribly difficult. Is it going to be more of a pain in the rear end than I am foreseeing?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Ignite Memories posted:

I just glue some card stock down over the slot. Once you have some grass on there you can't tell anyway.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ignite Memories posted:

Cut thin strips of masking tape or artists tape and cover the slots. Slather base in super glue. Dip in sand. Paint. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I guess it just goes back to the question "why are you greenstuffing this closed?" If the reason is that you want a flat surface to do the standard glue/sand/flock thing to, I mean a piece of tape will do the same job and be flatter at the same time.

• Locked thread