Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also instead of honey they make poop. google is literally a poop hive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
corn cob

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

PleasureKevin posted:

google's problem used to be they didn't apply any effort, they just made little apps in their 30% free time and if they failed, they blamed the idea and moved on.

now things like google plus have had some actually effort put in, and there's an overall design push too.

but those have failed, and what they're finding is they just don't have the organizational experience to release and market a product on a mass scale. all that time they've spent ideating and experimenting should have been spent perfecting the marketing and distribution process.

i guess their hope is with a "moon shot" they can get the first-mover advantage in a new category with no competition and where their inexperience doesn't matter.

this is almost identical to microsoft, where they had one hit knock-off product, and assumed that gave them the know-how to make a successful mp3 player, video game console, tablet and phone.

whereas apple has released the mac, iMac, iPod, iphone and iPad, with refreshes of each yearly. they are so far ahead of google and microsoft in experience and proven track record that there's no fitting analogy to do it justice. it's not coke vs. pepsi. it's like the economy of north america vs. north korea, where north korea is google, always boasting about their latest jerry-rigged doomsday weapons to destroy apple while their actual sole source of income is manufacturing the nipples on baby bottles.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

:toot: ban cremnob :toot:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

theadder posted:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

just testing the emptyquote button in yos+, rousing success

thanks valeyard

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

theadder posted:

/

:eyepop:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

this is the ancient taoist symbol of "yin and yang"

it symbolizes balance

if we remove the cremnob, there will be nothing to stop the stymie

all things in balance, my friends

please reban twee as gently caress, though

pram
Jun 10, 2001
well ban failyard

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if cremnob is the yin to stymie's yang, then if you ban them both then there will continue to be order in the universe.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

cremnob is a continuing offence in steves eyes

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

google's problem used to be they didn't apply any effort, they just made little apps in their 30% free time and if they failed, they blamed the idea and moved on.

now things like google plus have had some actually effort put in, and there's an overall design push too.

but those have failed, and what they're finding is they just don't have the organizational experience to release and market a product on a mass scale. all that time they've spent ideating and experimenting should have been spent perfecting the marketing and distribution process.

i guess their hope is with a "moon shot" they can get the first-mover advantage in a new category with no competition and where their inexperience doesn't matter.

this is almost identical to microsoft, where they had one hit knock-off product, and assumed that gave them the know-how to make a successful mp3 player, video game console, tablet and phone.

whereas apple has released the mac, iMac, iPod, iphone and iPad, with refreshes of each yearly. they are so far ahead of google and microsoft in experience and proven track record that there's no fitting analogy to do it justice. it's not coke vs. pepsi. it's like the economy of north america vs. north korea, where north korea is google, always boasting about their latest jerry-rigged doomsday weapons to destroy apple while their actual sole source of income is manufacturing the nipples on baby bottles.

this is a good time for the occasional reminder that Google has never (never!) designed a single money-making thing

everything they have that makes them money, they bought

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

theadder posted:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is a good time for the occasional reminder that Google has never (never!) designed a single money-making thing

ad-words / sponsored links weren't done in-house? lmao if true

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

they bought doubleclick for some reason

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they bought doubleclick for some reason

was it not profitable before doubleclick? i thought they had a good decade-ish between adwords and doubleclick, and the doubleclick acquisition was seen as them doubling down on their profit center.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

theadder posted:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
how is stymie not hellbanned yet

or can they do that anymore

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

nope

thanks team barry

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they started buying advertising companies in 2003

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

too much load on the servers

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

gimmick accounts are supposed to be bannable but hey

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
stymie's gimmick is that there is no gimmick

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

the bruce lee of pedantic shitposting

Emptyquoter
Feb 26, 2014

PleasureKevin posted:

gimmick accounts are supposed to be bannable but hey

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

wtf is this poo poo, that's not a drunk post at all. stay in gimmick :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NICE!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

who cares. they made the best search engine and the best maps, gmail is good, self driving cars are cool. that any of these do not make money doesn't matter at all to me.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

who cares. they made the best search engine and the best maps, gmail is good, self driving cars are cool. that any of these do not make money doesn't matter at all to me.

idk, maps in chrome is kind o lovely now

they spread the controls out to be as far from each other as possible, panels pop up everywhere and there's no obvious way to know when or why, there are no labels or tooltips, etc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

good

Cold on a Cob posted:

the gimmick is he nonchalantly works from a faulty premise to write something infuriating. he does it so consistently and selectively that it's got to be a gimmick.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

wtf is this poo poo, that's not a drunk post at all. stay in gimmick :colbert:

ive been breaking my gimmick all morning. but ill tbh, i dont really have a gimmick hehe

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

search is buggered beyond recognition now, trying to get google to search for what you've actually typed requires going through two hidden menus and selecting "verbatim", as opposed to say, searching for what the gently caress you typed by default. they've completely hosed the maps interface over the last couple years, for no obvious reason, and hidden or removed every useful feature it had. gmail is only good compared to webmail pre-gmail. and even then as long as you never plan to go anywhere else, because they do some awful things to their message headers. apps for business is a joke in every sense.

google makes a lot of bad products now, and the few products that were good, even if only by comparison to their competition are being shitted up on the regular now because bored ballpit spergs can't leave well enough alone

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

idk, maps in chrome is kind o lovely now

they spread the controls out to be as far from each other as possible, panels pop up everywhere and there's no obvious way to know when or why, there are no labels or tooltips, etc

now that i think about it i probably use maps on my phone 90% of the time. yeah tho the new web interface is balls

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Smythe posted:

ive been breaking my gimmick all morning. but ill tbh, i dont really have a gimmick hehe

some gimmicks are natural

like mine

i'm naturally this annoying and forgettable

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

you can almost completely replace google in Yosemite

* you can search sites by typing their name before your search query, sidestepping google. also change the rest to duck duck go

eg stackoverflow php catch a squirtle

* mail is fine

* maps is fine, and might get transit directions?

* you can share iCloud docs with anyone on iCloud.com (replaces google docs)

Cold on a Cob posted:

some gimmicks are natural

like mine

i'm naturally this annoying and forgettable

ayy come here :glomp:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Necc0 posted:

Adwords:

quote:

The original idea was invented by Bill Gross of Idealab who, in turn, borrowed the idea from the model of the Yellow Pages. Google wanted to buy the idea but a deal could not be reached. Not wanting to give up on this form of advertisement, the company launched its own solution, AdWords in 2000. AdWords followed a model that was significantly similar to Bill Gross' creation which led to legal action between the two parties. Eventually the dispute was settled out of court.

• Locked thread