Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Because of this thread I have now signed up for Heavy Gear Online. Thanks guys!

E: sign up with my referral so I can get cool stuff! https://www.heavygear.com/register?ref=3ca731ae

Didn't the DEVs cancel that game a while ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Speaking of bad games and developers, whatever happened to MechWarrior Tactics?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know this is from a couple of pages back, but :pgi: doesn't put in any effort so why should I?

They had to lengthen the AC/2's recycle time because at the old time of 0.5 seconds a single AC/2 would trigger ghost-heat with itself

Except the pilot perk to fast-fire would reduce it down past the threshold again, whoops!

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of bad games and developers, whatever happened to MechWarrior Tactics?

https://www.mwtactics.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8176-is-mwt-still-happening-whens-open-beta/

Vaporware, in the finest vein of corporate malfeasance since GT Interactive and DNF.

No seriously. Last I looked into the IGP 2 years ago, their auditor straight up refused to say the last time they had an audit done they signed off on. They refused to even say how many people are even drawing salary on this project anymore. One very razor line short of straight up beta-fraud. Since our last goon got fired/canned it would seem there are only 4 employees left, spread over the project. Avoid. Open beta was to launch in June 2013, it is now 2014. Their FASA license expires in 2015.

Paul can come sue me, if he can find me, if he watches the thread.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I realize it's a lot of work, but it would be very nice if they put out maps at a much faster rate.

One of the excuses they gave once was that they were making tons of maps and art assets but the mean old executives wouldn't let them release it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Woolie Wool posted:

(note to all video game developers adapting tabletop games: do not do what MechWarrior did)

That's assuming the devs involved have any choice. MS probably only cares about the look of the mechs, since they don't have the rights to the tabletop game, but I recall Rope Kid being annoyed at the hoops they had to jump during IWD2 development because of that. But yeah, bad idea unless you're trying to attract grogs who are probably happier playing tabletop.

That armor layering/carving system reminds me of the one they had in the old Renegade Legions games. I'm still trying to figure out how that worked in a tabletop environment.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

PGI Patch Notes posted:

BUG FIXES

Significantly improved server slow down issues caused by simultaneously firing large numbers of Machine Guns and Energy Weapons.

Willing to bet significant money that this is the real reason Ghost heat was chosen as a balance measure. Forcing people to boat less for 'balance' reasons was actually a hack to deal with server issues caused by too many weapons being fired at once and their access database fritzing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

You just wanna keep your account you dirty closet mechwarrior. How are the clan mechs?

Very underwhelming. Quite a few of them are strictly worse than IS mechs.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phrosphor posted:

Willing to bet significant money that this is the real reason Ghost heat was chosen as a balance measure. Forcing people to boat less for 'balance' reasons was actually a hack to deal with server issues caused by too many weapons being fired at once and their access database fritzing.

Nah, Paul just loves overcomplicated as gently caress design choices.

quote:

Hey folks,

I'm going to pre-empt the concern that nothing has happened with the PPC/Gauss combination in the game and Russ mentioning work being done on it for this patch.

The new firing mechanic that Russ was mentioning is indeed in the game right now but it is set to off. The reason for this is that it's a very complex active system which is going to directly affect your weapon triggering. Yes we have complex systems in the game like Heat Scale but Heat Scale is passive. There's a big difference in a player's experience when the active triggering mechanism is changed, much like the Gauss Charge. The Gauss Charge however is a single stage active change, the Gauss/PPC system that is on hold right now is a 3 stage active change.

The Mechanic:

A Gauss Rifle is a charging weapon.
A PPC is a heavy energy draw weapon.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 1 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot cannot fire both PPCs simultaneously.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 2 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
If the pilot charges 2 Gauss Rifles, no PPCs will be able to fire.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.

We are in constant talks about this and MIGHT bring it on-line on the Public Test Server for you to provide feedback and thoughts on the mechanic.

One of the other solutions I've been looking at is slowing down the PPC projectile. What this gains is the ability of a target 'Mech to spread incoming damage more effectively by twisting its torso out of the line of fire. The number I've been toying with is 750m/s for PPCs and 850m/s ERPPCs(IS and Clan). Now if you're wondering what the current speed is, it is 1500m/s. So yes... that is a 50% decrease in projectile speed for PPCs.

What this translated into is that at 1000m, the PPC projectile hits its target just under 1 second after a simultaneously fired Gauss round. At 500m, it is around 1/4 of a second. Optimal target distance for the PPC/Gauss combo falls into the 600-700m range which allows enemy 'Mechs to close the gap a little easier vs PPC equipped 'Mechs. This also means that the PPC/AC20/AC10 combinations will be affected as well. A 50% decrease in projectile speed seems overly excessive but it really does bring the feel of the PPC/Gauss combo back into alignment with the rest of the game.

I'd like to, at this time, ask that you give your thoughts on these two solutions in the feedback thread for this post. Please keep in mind that the numbers listed in this post are testing values only and not the final, to be put into game numbers.

I understand that that both of these mechanics seem fairly heavy handed but it's time to bring this weapon combo into alignment with the other combinations of weapons.

:allears:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
God damnit this new patch completely hosed up modules.

gently caress PGI, jesus loving christ.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Most balance changes in MWO are the gaming world equivalent to a Rube Goldberg machine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It really just comes across like the design team really don't want to do a comprehensive pass on all the weapons so they're running around slapping band aids on things when the complaining gets too much to ignore. Gwaihir posted earlier about how you balance the sniper type weapons (I.e. Give them a fuckton of damage but make them take ages to cycle) but instead of that we're getting yet another "gently caress you don't use those guns together" solution. This'll keep going on until eventually there's no weapons you can fire at the same time and everything has to be chain fired or you explode.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the module change is kinda sensible. Granted I haven't been playing, but I like that there's specific slots so that you might be motivated to actually use weapon modules/consumables.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Most balance changes in MWO are the gaming world equivalent to a Rube Goldberg machine.

Please that has a purpose and actually does something. Balance changes in MOW is like making GBS threads in a blender with the top off, turning it on purée and whatever flies out you use as changes.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

It really just comes across like the design team really don't want to do a comprehensive pass on all the weapons so they're running around slapping band aids on things when the complaining gets too much to ignore. Gwaihir posted earlier about how you balance the sniper type weapons (I.e. Give them a fuckton of damage but make them take ages to cycle) but instead of that we're getting yet another "gently caress you don't use those guns together" solution. This'll keep going on until eventually there's no weapons you can fire at the same time and everything has to be chain fired or you explode.

That one change, applied to ppcs, gauss rifles, and lrms would solve SO many problems.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

A long time ago, a representative from PGI came to talk to several groups, including goons, about how to balance weapons. Goons pointed to a variety of video games of all degrees of complexity to illustrate options there were, including games like Team Fortress 2, the newer Battlefield games, and MechWarrior: Living Legends.

One of the principal points was to adequately balance long-range high-alpha weapons against other options. Concerns like specific map cover and jump-sniping aside, mathematically, the long-range high-alpha builds were able to consistently put out more damage over the course of a round, and PGI needed to close this gulf. A "brawling" mech that managed to close the distance would likely have suffered a lot of damage already, if focus-fire did not take it out altogether (killing a group's effective DPS). Long-range high-alpha weapons also were able to keep competitive DPS even up close, and their ability to frontload damage with little warning gave them a big advantage for focusing fire.

Brawlers thus need to be able to make up for the difference in time during which they have been unable to reciprocate, and any sort of health increases would favor brawling by reducing the % of total damage done from safety. Making it less easy for snipers to hit, along with longer refire times, is another option. Once in range, brawlers need to come up from a team damage (and probable team DPS) deficit so their weapons also need to do lay on damage quicker.

This also provided an opportunity to differentiate certain weapon classes that were a little uncertain of their place in the game, such as pulse lasers, which were really only feasible as a way to squeeze a tiny bit more damage out of limited energy slots if you somehow had heat/weight/slots to spare and no other hardpoints.

This PGI representative explained that, actually, it's impossible to balance short-range versus long-range weapons in any videogame. Pulse lasers had their heat adjusted slightly.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chronojam posted:

This PGI representative explained that, actually, it's impossible to balance short-range versus long-range weapons in any videogame.

This really explains a hell of a lot.

Also...

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
It keeps sounding more and more like PGI has always viewed "balance" as a thing you achieve and then don't have to worry about, instead of as something you adjust over time to compensate for certain playstyles rendering other playstyles unfun or completely invalid.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chronojam posted:

A long time ago, a representative from PGI came to talk to several groups, including goons, about how to balance weapons. Goons pointed to a variety of video games of all degrees of complexity to illustrate options there were, including games like Team Fortress 2, the newer Battlefield games, and MechWarrior: Living Legends.

One of the principal points was to adequately balance long-range high-alpha weapons against other options. Concerns like specific map cover and jump-sniping aside, mathematically, the long-range high-alpha builds were able to consistently put out more damage over the course of a round, and PGI needed to close this gulf. A "brawling" mech that managed to close the distance would likely have suffered a lot of damage already, if focus-fire did not take it out altogether (killing a group's effective DPS). Long-range high-alpha weapons also were able to keep competitive DPS even up close, and their ability to frontload damage with little warning gave them a big advantage for focusing fire.

Brawlers thus need to be able to make up for the difference in time during which they have been unable to reciprocate, and any sort of health increases would favor brawling by reducing the % of total damage done from safety. Making it less easy for snipers to hit, along with longer refire times, is another option. Once in range, brawlers need to come up from a team damage (and probable team DPS) deficit so their weapons also need to do lay on damage quicker.

This also provided an opportunity to differentiate certain weapon classes that were a little uncertain of their place in the game, such as pulse lasers, which were really only feasible as a way to squeeze a tiny bit more damage out of limited energy slots if you somehow had heat/weight/slots to spare and no other hardpoints.

This PGI representative explained that, actually, it's impossible to balance short-range versus long-range weapons in any videogame. Pulse lasers had their heat adjusted slightly.

The specific example to prove his point was that the railgun in quake 3 was good.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

The specific example to prove his point was that the railgun in quake 3 was good.

Just for absolute clarity here Fil5000 is not making a joke. The official word was that 2PPC1Gauss cannot be balanced because the Quake 3 railgun was good.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I would say something like "jesus loving christ" at these recent posts but unfortunately I am used to PGI so it doesn't really bother me or surprise me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Avynte posted:

Now I kind of hope every possible combination of weapons in the game eventually gets its own unique, invisible mechanic with no GUI indicator of what's going on.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
One thing they nailed was how the Mechs feel, though. I've seen other stompy robot games and they all feel too quick and weird and it ends up feeling like a lovely TDM instead of being stompy robots.....doing TDM.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yep, there's nothing else that feels like it. It's a massive shame that they've nailed that but lack either the will, desire or ability to sort out the balance with anything other than sticking plasters, and that they've basically spent a full year of development alienating people.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sindai posted:

Now I kind of hope every possible combination of weapons in the game eventually gets its own unique, invisible mechanic with no GUI indicator of what's going on.

MGs will now have their refire rate halved if fired at the same time as a Med Laser at 150m but doubled if you have one LRM equppied and you are using an ER Large Laser at 502 meters. Obviously this will effect how many SRMs you are able to fire before Double Jeopardy heat kicks in.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sedisp posted:

MGs will now have their refire rate halved if fired at the same time as a Med Laser at 150m but doubled if you have one LRM equppied and you are using an ER Large Laser at 502 meters. Obviously this will effect how many SRMs you are able to fire before Double Jeopardy heat kicks in.

Actually they reduced it to 145m in the last patch.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
PGI is incredible because it makes Wargaming, the World of Tanks developers, look like the most competent people on the planet.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Sedisp posted:

I approve of this Rube Goldberg balance change.

Ok I promise that's the last time I make a bad Rube Goldberg analogy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Avynte posted:

Hahahaha this person is loving insane.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Hahahaha this person is loving insane.

We've been saying this for a long time. They just don't give a poo poo.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Since there isn't a general Mechwarrior thread, I guess the lovely MWO thread will have to do. Is there any non :filez: way to get a copy of MW2? I found a copy of Ghost Bear Legacy in an ancient CD binder I got from my dad and I want to play through it again for nostalgia reasons, but it doesn't install without the base game.

And is the MW4:Mercs release working now? I tried to play it when it came out and I couldn't loving install it. I need more Duncan Fisher in my life, and for whatever reason they didn't put in a Solaris arena map in MWO when I was playing.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Just for absolute clarity here Fil5000 is not making a joke. The official word was that 2PPC1Gauss cannot be balanced because the Quake 3 railgun was good.

Yeah but.. the rocket launcher was good, and the plasma gun was good, and the shotgun was good too. Hell, even the machine gun and the fist have a reason to exist. That level of cluelessness should be criminal.

Q2DM was better, though.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Don Gato posted:

Since there isn't a general Mechwarrior thread, I guess the lovely MWO thread will have to do. Is there any non :filez: way to get a copy of MW2? I found a copy of Ghost Bear Legacy in an ancient CD binder I got from my dad and I want to play through it again for nostalgia reasons, but it doesn't install without the base game.

Pretty sure you can just copy over the files from the CD and run setup, and it'll think that it's been installed normally. Even though I have my original MW2 and GBL CDs, Dosbox didn't react well to changing CDs, so I had to use a workaround to get GBL running.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I still have all my old MW4+expansion CDs, but at some point something got screwed up in the registry or somewhere because the game screen will not fit on my monitor screen. I've adjusted in-game, Windows, and monitor refresh rate/resolution/deity of choice, scoured the registry of anything related to mechs, and to no avail. It just worked, and I uninstalled, reinstalled six months later, and it gave me a giant middle finger. And then I got another GMF when I didn't find out about MW:LL until it was shut down, and then another GMF when I bought a Founder's Pack.

gently caress, I can still remember the sheer unstoppable force of Holy Reckoning that was a Founder's Atlas with three LRM15s, a Gauss, and some MLas. Closed Beta might not have been exceptionally balanced but goddamn it was at least fun.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
You used to be able to get MW4 (Mercs at least) with the custom mech patches via Mektek, but they lost the ability to distribute it partially pretty much because of MWO and :pgi:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fil5000 posted:

Yep, there's nothing else that feels like it. It's a massive shame that they've nailed that but lack either the will, desire or ability to sort out the balance with anything other than sticking plasters, and that they've basically spent a full year of development alienating people.

Two years. Two years.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
CB was late summer/early fall 2011, so three years.

Just let that sink in a moment.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

The funny thing is, you pretty much described the damage system for Crimson Skies, another one of FASA's games.

Of course, actually implementing such a system would piss off the crazy grognard demographic and, more importantly to PGI, cause them to spend money elsewhere.

Honestly, I think the best modern "Mechwarrior" game would involve starting with a new IP instead of one that has thirty years of baggage. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Battletech and the older Mechwarrior games, but there's only so far you can go with the old, mostly unchanged rules.

I guess I'm kind of attached to the Battletech IP due to the sheer amount of development and material poured into it, even though the MechWarrior series seems stuck in 1995 and its most hardcore fans want it that way, and the stories and worldbuilding became increasingly idiotic and poorly written from around 3057 onward. The sheer quantity of lore and stories and detail in Battletech provides a grounding and sense of history to a story that is informed by it (informed by it, not filled with massive infodumps of worldbuilding poo poo nobody cares about, mind you).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 31, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Woolie Wool posted:

the stories and worldbuilding became increasingly idiotic and poorly written from around 3057 onward.

Is that when the Birdemic began?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I don't know what the Birdemic is, but 3057 is the Refusal War and the beginning of the partition of the Federated Commonwealth, when the Clans became largely a joke and the storylines became increasingly Davion-centric. The Wobblies showed up in 3058 and things just got worse from there.

• Locked thread