Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

treeboy posted:

Doesn't Eldritch Knight also get evocation?
Yeah, but so far behind in levels that it's basically a gimmick unless you build the party to abuse Darkness or something (though it does give notable flexibility in exploiting elemental weaknesses).

Part of it is that I just find it funny that the EK gets two schools, but one of those has barely any Wizard spells to start, and very few that an EK can even cast, and even fewer that they benefit from casting.

LFK fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I wrote up that EK as level 10, but at 11 it gets triple attacks. That pretty much blows away its low-level casting abilities. The best course of action really is to buff your melee and focus on that.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
If I were to homebrew the EK for my players so that it had full wizard spellcasting but with less spell slots overall and limited to two schools of their choice would that be terribly broken?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Necroskowitz posted:

If I were to homebrew the EK for my players so that it had full wizard spellcasting but with less spell slots overall and limited to two schools of their choice would that be terribly broken?

Yes, it would totally undermine 5E's delicate balance.

Not really. I say give all schools, and don't nerf the spell slots.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

treeboy posted:

what kind of archetypes are not present that people would want to see? alternatively classes/archetypes.

Archery + anything meaning spells, duh
Paladins can buff the poo poo out of their melee attacks with spells, but archers seem to always get the shaft, comparatively.

have it your weigh
Nov 10, 2005
SNARF
The Barbarian Preview is out. I like that they used art that doesn't look like the stereotypical Conan type barbarian. It makes me want to play one for the fist time.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
None of these previews actually say anything about the mechanics of these classes. Or is the fluff supposed to make me rush to the store on release day?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Pretty much no one will give a poo poo about mechanics

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wait, are 5e sympathetic websites getting exclusive previews?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

moths posted:

yeah but why should this be a surprise?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

have it your weigh posted:

The Barbarian Preview is out. I like that they used art that doesn't look like the stereotypical Conan type barbarian. It makes me want to play one for the fist time.

Looks very similar to the artwork for the 4e Berserker from Heroes of the Feywild, actually, which is good, that was some nice art. Indeed, it's similar enough that I wonder if it's left over from that book...

And yeah, basically all the previews of classes thus far have been other websites, not direct from Wizards.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like that they used art that doesn't look like the stereotypical Conan type barbarian. It makes me want to play one for the fist time.

This is actually the reason to play a Barbarian.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I suppose I should have expected that, it's a pretty neat PR trick.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I mean Wizards does the same thing with 3rd party sites and new Magic previews. It's a smart strategy, really.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Does it bother anyone else that the wizard gets like eight different specializations while the other classes only get three each?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

QuantumNinja posted:

Does it bother anyone else that the wizard gets like eight different specializations while the other classes only get three each?

Yep.

E: it also bothers me that the fighter gets like, 5 pages and the spellcasters get more than a quarter of the book. But then, this edition really isn't FOR me.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes it's terrible how they had to water down the wizard by splitting their skills eight ways.

Harthacnut
Jul 29, 2014

QuantumNinja posted:

Even worse is that some don't even seem to be getting three any more. According to the article recently that described classes, barbarians only get 2, along with bards, druids, rangers and sorcerors. But at least the cleric gets 7, hey?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I guess it makes sense in a world where the designers really, really don't want you to have a party without two full spellcasters, and might even want everyone to multiclass into those classes eventually anyway. They have to be the "something for everyone, we promise" classes.

Druids, bards and warlocks are pretty much wizard and cleric special snowflake builds too.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
In 5e, like 8 out of 12 classes are spell casters. But at least they finally made Diviners useful.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

ritorix posted:

Yes it's terrible how they had to water down the wizard by splitting their skills eight ways.

The ones I've seen don't look watered down. If the specializations for wizards were all comparatively weaker, it would be cool, but they're all competitively powerful with the other classes' specializations, which seems utterly unreasonable to me. Wizards and clerics feel like complete classes, whereas the other ones are basically screaming "wait for the splatbook thanks".

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
huh, barbarians are d12 hit dice vs fighter d10. interesting

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

treeboy posted:

I've never seen anything like it!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

treeboy posted:

I'm getting the feeling from the previews that the Fighter is all about being middle-ground-y. Tough, but not as tough as the Barbarian, good at crits, but not as much as the Barbarian. Good at self-healing, but not as much as the Paladin. Damaging, but not as much as the Rogue. OK at out of combat stuff but not as much as the Ranger. It feels like a class other classes dip into to improve their features, rather than really being a class in and of itself.

Much like the edition, really.

Nancy_Noxious
Apr 10, 2013

by Smythe

Meh.

In "related topics" — for all the talk about 5e's "progressive art", the ranger (according to the website illustration) is a scantily clad conventionally pretty young woman. One would think the barbarian might be used to balance things and offer players a hot scantily clad dude but no, they had to go with a fugly midde-aged man.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No one gets to choose any path class features until level 2 or 3. Primary casters still get to choose spells right away, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Caphi posted:

No one gets to choose any path class features until level 2 or 3. Primary casters still get to choose spells right away, though.

Well, how boring would the game be if you didn't have any spells?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

thespaceinvader posted:

Yep.

E: it also bothers me that the fighter gets like, 5 pages and the spellcasters get more than a quarter of the book. But then, this edition really isn't FOR me.
Hear, hear.

Now if they actually LIMITED spellcasters rather than just giving them the whole drat spell list...

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

QuantumNinja posted:

The ones I've seen don't look watered down. If the specializations for wizards were all comparatively weaker, it would be cool, but

I was being sarcastic but I'm pretty sure I saw the same post for reals on enworld.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I wonder what the design rationale behind putting Basic's Weapon Mastery and 4th's Warlord into the same subclass was? I'm sure no one will ever tell us.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

I wonder what the design rationale behind putting Basic's Weapon Mastery and 4th's Warlord into the same subclass was? I'm sure no one will ever tell us.

Fuckwittery, and a desperate desire to backtrack on their early 'pledge' that everything that was ever in a PHB(1) would be in the PHB for 5e.

As with so many other things, the Warlord is an example of them desperately trying to please everyone, and actually succeeding in pissing off most of the people, because the people who like the Warlord, don't like the pale and pathetic imitation of it that is 'well, you might be able to spend a maneuver doing warlordy stuff up to 3/enc', and the people who hate it with a disturbing passion hate that it's even included at all.

As with so many things, 5e tries to compromise, and compromise pleases no-one.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

design rationale

Heh.

Honestly most of 5E doesn't bother me too much. It has a very few nifty things, mostly things I don't care for or about, and some really terrible things, but oh well. But taken with Mearls' tweets there's this strong sensation of "trolololol" that just weirds me out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Daetrin posted:

Heh.

Honestly most of 5E doesn't bother me too much. It has a very few nifty things, mostly things I don't care for or about, and some really terrible things, but oh well. But taken with Mearls' tweets there's this strong sensation of "trolololol" that just weirds me out.

It's kind of like this for me too. Most of it doesn't bother me (in much the same way that PF and 3e don't bother me), but speaking as a player who got on board at 4e, and loved it, and generally likes games which are balanced and in which everyone contributes equally... 5e just doesn't seem like it's built with me in mind. I don't want to get to high levels and have the sorts of character I enjoy playing (various variations on 'dude who hits things with other things' usually) to be more or less invalidated by 'I cast Wish/Teleport/Meteor Swarm'. I LIKED the grid, and the relatively simple rules with a lot of emergent complexity that were written (when they were written well) in a comprehensible, systematic shorthand etc etc etc...

Basically, there are some things which look fine, and it's mostly inoffensive and I'd probably play it if it was the only game in town, but... ah, what could have been. There's just nothing that grabs me and says 'hey, you want to play this game!

I definitely won't be running it though, given what they did to spellcasting monsters, gently caress that. And such is the opinion of everyone else who DMs in my current group, so it looks like I won't be playing anyway.

Bring on the retclones of 4e.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

moths posted:

IIRC The webcomic that previewed the bard has an early entry years ago where it's requisite smug main characters violently assault a caricatured critic of 4e, but yes in the mean time it's shifted with the wind and become anti-4e.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I definitely won't be running it though, given what they did to spellcasting monsters, gently caress that. And such is the opinion of everyone else who DMs in my current group, so it looks like I won't be playing anyway.

Let's all play 5e without spellcasters, be they monsters or PCs.

There's really not much of a game left, let's be honest.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

thespaceinvader posted:

I definitely won't be running it though, given what they did to spellcasting monsters
I keep asking "whats that" because these threads go fast and I really dont want to go through hundreds of posts like DnD was D+D so...

Whats that?

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

FRINGE posted:

I keep asking "whats that" because these threads go fast and I really dont want to go through hundreds of posts like DnD was D+D so...

Whats that?

Spellcasting monsters cast spells. Like PCs. Which means each spellcaster makes you dig through the PHB to find what each spell does - in a spell list that is verbose and organized relatively poorly for such lookups. Given that this can be half a dozen spells or maybe more it's a huge pain.

That's ignoring save-or-die effects.

Contrast to 4E which had what the monster abilities did in very precise language on the card the rest of the monster stats were on.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Daetrin posted:

Spellcasting monsters cast spells. Like PCs. Which means each spellcaster makes you dig through the PHB to find what each spell does - in a spell list that is verbose and organized relatively poorly for such lookups.
Ah. I guess I was used to that in the older editions. 3e was a terrible mess to look through though.

Did 4e not have monsters "cast", like could they not be interrupted? (As opposed to innate abilities/ spell-like abilities)

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Ah. I guess I was used to that in the older editions. 3e was a terrible mess to look through though.

Did 4e not have monsters "cast", like could they not be interrupted? (As opposed to innate abilities/ spell-like abilities)

Please play some 4e, :iia:

But yeah, everything is instant-cast, although zones and stuff you can usually "sustain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FRINGE posted:

The other big difference in 4e is that every spell was listed in the monster's statblock, and was statted to be appropriate to a monster using it. You'd never have to know how a player-available spell worked, look anything up or have to worry that really powerful spells in the PHB would randomly end encounters because players didn't have a specific defense against it.