Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey cool, I didn't know this was on Netflix. Tell me Martin Sheen is as funny later on as he is in the first few episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Now that I think about it, does he get less funny after Season 4? At that point everything becomes more serious I feel like.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Overall the show becomes less funny.

That's actually what I think is the biggest problem with season 5. They take a bunch of people who are friends and joke around with each other and make them all grimdark and angry.

They eventually lose the anger for the most part, but I don't think they capture the comedy again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Now that I think about it, does he get less funny after Season 4? At that point everything becomes more serious I feel like.

Really?

Pres. Bartlett, paralyzed from the MS, gets bored of the constant b.s about how he gets off the plane and just tells his bodyman to carry him off.

Followed by him putting up with b.s at the China meetings until he just calls out the Premier on knowing english and comments about how he'd love to spend some time with the former premier. The current Premier just looks at him like "Motherfucker I know this game" and they head off to negotiate the North Korea talks.

To me, that constant attempts to make everything super dramatic were a touch of humor all their own.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Asiina posted:

Overall the show becomes less funny.

That's actually what I think is the biggest problem with season 5. They take a bunch of people who are friends and joke around with each other and make them all grimdark and angry.

They eventually lose the anger for the most part, but I don't think they capture the comedy again.

Boo. The comedy that comes out of the absurd situations they find themselves in is what I like about the show from the first few episodes. The rapid-fire verbal jabs remind me of MASH.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That's not to say it gets bad. No part of the show is ever "bad" it just changes in tone after a while.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Part of the change early on may be that Bartlett was originally intended to be kind of a side character. Then Martin Sheen went over really well with audiences so they decided to write him in more.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

withak posted:

Part of the change early on may be that Bartlett was originally intended to be kind of a side character. Then Martin Sheen went over really well with audiences so they decided to write him in more.
From what I've heard that decision was changed straight from the pilot. His speech at the end went over so well that the whole series was re-tooled after that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hoops posted:

From what I've heard that decision was changed straight from the pilot. His speech at the end went over so well that the whole series was re-tooled after that.

I don't know what the time difference from when the episodes aired to when they were filmed, but the whole "Let's make a show about the White House w/o the President" suffered from not having the essential aspect of a President along with having an all white cast caused a lot of complaints, leading to the role of Charlie being created to deflect said criticism.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Asiina posted:

That's not to say it gets bad. No part of the show is ever "bad" it just changes in tone after a while.

Writer churn and the original creative force leaving changes the tone of the show toward melodrama and grimdarkness? I suppose my MASH comparison isn't too far off.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Melodrama? Yes, absolutely, at least in season 5. But grimdarkness, that really is a stretch.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

Melodrama? Yes, absolutely, at least in season 5. But grimdarkness, that really is a stretch.

Shutdown

Twenty Five

Gaza

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Asiina posted:

Shutdown

If you don't get a twang of guilty pleasure out of this cheesy rear end scene, you might not be alive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyXHA7xiChc

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Asiina posted:

Shutdown

Twenty Five

Gaza

Oh come on, none of these are grimdark. Fincher's Seven is grimdark. These are just very "dramatic", some scenes even slightly cheesy as FrozenVent demonstrated. The West Wing is at its very core much too optimistic to ever turn REALLY dark, even after the writers switch. The Zoey Bartlet situation surely comes closest, but even that turns out fine.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 21, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 5 isn't grimdark it's just really boring.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Season 5 makes Josh useless for no reason, Leo a completely different character for no reason and unleashes the torrent of garbage that is Ryan Pierce.

Ugh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Season five is just plain bad. There are many reasons for it, most of them entirely believable and even reasonable. And there's a salvageable episode or two in there. But it's a bad season of a good show.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
The primary bad episode I can think of is I believe from season six where all the shots are focused in weird places and the dialogue is stunted as hell, but I can't for the life of me remember which one it was.

All in all, the show suffered from a case of Twin Peaks when Sorkin decided there was too much pressure happening or whatever (re: caught with drugs or something idk).

EDIT: Actually, you can equate the steady degradation of Bartlett to Ben Horne's psychotic break pretty easily. Mind you, I still liked the show past S4, but it does slow down pretty significantly in terms of how quickly the dialogue is snapped out, as well as the quality in directors.

Toby's arc, though, is :sigh: in the worst ways.

EDIT mach 2: Yeah you really can't say anything is 'grimdark' in any season, considering the setting. It'd be wildly, if not laughably unrealistic if bad poo poo didn't happen, or happen to be dealt with.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 21, 2014

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I thought it lost it for a while after season 4. But once Will Bailey was no longer the head of the campaign, he brought some of that old charm back. His stint as the Press Secretary where he just constantly bullshitted the press corp was pretty good.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Season five's (and some of season six's) problem is that it underscores West Wing's gradual shift between the balancing of light subject material to momentous subject material.

Early West Wing is funny, smart people dealing with mundane situations (cartographers for social equality, CJ's root canal, Sam wants to date a call girl, Butterball Hotline, Stackhouse Filibuster ruins the gang's vacation plans, Ainsley is afraid to meet the President) in which individual episodes are framed by funny events and spiced with dramatic moments that usually stretch across multiple episodes.

Later West Wing is still funny, smart people but now they have to deal with important, stressful situations all the drat time (Shut Down The Government, the most famous North Korean asks the President to defect, we have to Save Social Security forever, let's fill two Supreme Court seats in one episode, President Bartlet visits tornado victims all day, let's fix Israel and Palestine). These momentous events become the framework for the individual episodes, and the humor/silliness is seen in only brief respites where the audience can catch its breath.

It's not as if the later seasons are not funny, or the early seasons are not dramatic. It just comes down to the right balance. The early episodes have it - "the streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight" is more poignant for coming after we watched Toby, Josh, and Donna putz around in the Midwest for entire episodes.

nagel
Sep 19, 2005

We formed a wall once.
Yeah, I mean one of the funniest, if not the funniest, parts of the entire show if when they all resign when cj becomes chief of staff.

That bothers me though, before Leo's heart attack, Bartlett wants a list of names and Leo agrees. After the heart attack it's like "oh no its totally cj"

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

nagel posted:

Yeah, I mean one of the funniest, if not the funniest, parts of the entire show if when they all resign when cj becomes chief of staff.

That bothers me though, before Leo's heart attack, Bartlett wants a list of names and Leo agrees. After the heart attack it's like "oh no its totally cj"

I always thought that Bartlett wanting a list was his more formal way of saying gently caress YOU Leo, and that making him find his own replacement was a way to show him how serious he was about accepting his resignation. Then as things went on, he knew that CJ would be the best choice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think he was expecting Bartlet to back down but when he said says "I'll need your successor in place before you leave" he just stammers "I'll get you some names."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

This show seems so quaint sometimes. We've got to keep <thing> that happened 12 hours ago out of the hands of the press! Flag burning is the most pressing issue! How will we ever get a Hispanic on the bench? Is the internet really the future?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The Republican Speaker becoming Acting President was already pretty outrageous in the show's timeframe, imagine John Boehner becoming Acting President today. There is a safe full of "Repeal Obamacare" executive orders somewhere out there, waiting for the right moment.

Or imagine a candidate like Vinick running for the Republican nomination. :v:

Hell, or what about that guy Bartlet ran for re-election against ("Are you going to pay it back?"). He wouldn't survive the primary.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 30, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Antti posted:

Hell, or what about that guy Bartlet ran for re-election against ("Are you going to pay it back?"). He wouldn't survive the primary.

That's funny, I seem to recall George W Bush winning two terms (and it's blatantly obvious that Ritchie was a thinly disguised reference to bush). Never underestimate the will of the American People to vote in direct opposition to their best interests.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jul 30, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The VP in the show had resigned so the House Speaker was the next in line. Vinick was closely based on John McCain.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mu Zeta posted:

Vinick was closely based on John McCain.

The biggest irony of all.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's spooky how well the show predicted the 2008 election-lineup. An Obama-inspired minority candidate vs. a moderate McCain substitute, the former with an older VP to lend experience to the ticket, and the latter with a young tea party candidate trying to drag everything to the far right.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Slashrat posted:

It's spooky how well the show predicted the 2008 election-lineup. An Obama-inspired minority candidate vs. a moderate McCain substitute, the former with an older VP to lend experience to the ticket, and the latter with a young tea party candidate trying to drag everything to the far right.

I guess I need to watch season 7 again, because I didn't remember that Vinick's running mate was even a character.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's only in a few episodes. Ultra conservative guy that is known for being tough on criminals. He says in a speech that the Bartlet Presidency has become sclerotic. Get it?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Naw that was some random Republican congressman during the republican convention wasn't it? Vinick's VP candidate was the slimey we're-all-pals-so-long-as-you-do-what-I-say sop to the religious right after the reverend they originally wanted pre-emptively turns it down.

Just hit season five in my yearly re-watch.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The convention guy doing the speech is the VP candidate. I know the one you're talking about but I don't blame you for mistaking him since all the Republicans blend together in the last couple seasons.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just got to S6E08 on my rewatch - "In the room", where Penn and Teller do a magic trick involving the flag of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

Are the staff of the President of the United States really so stupid that they believe that a pair of magicians REALLY burned an American flag?!

Seriously, everybody is going around like it's a foregone conclusion that a flag was really burned! Of course it wasn't; they're loving magicians!

loving rear end holes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Just got to S6E08 on my rewatch - "In the room", where Penn and Teller do a magic trick involving the flag of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

Are the staff of the President of the United States really so stupid that they believe that a pair of magicians REALLY burned an American flag?!

Seriously, everybody is going around like it's a foregone conclusion that a flag was really burned! Of course it wasn't; they're loving magicians!

loving rear end holes.

I think they care more about the optics of the situation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

brylcreem posted:

loving rear end holes.

Have you ever read a newpaper/watched a tv channel that was controlled by vermin like Rupert Murdoch? What actually happened is irrelevant. What appeared to happen is the only thing that mattered here.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you ever read a newpaper/watched a tv channel that was controlled by vermin like Rupert Murdoch? What actually happened is irrelevant. What appeared to happen is the only thing that mattered here.

It really doesn't even take that much which is what Sorkin was attempting to illustrate with the Newsroom, and hosed up.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6cDvtsRSQk

I love the west wing. If it weren't for alan alda the last couple of seasons would suck.

withak posted:

It appears that this guy is a really, really big fan of "Seventeen People".

http://seventeenpeople.com/

That is an amazing website.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 13, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Does Ainsley ever do anything other than serve as a Republican strawwoman for the main characters to argue with about whatever Sorkin's pet issue is this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Does Ainsley ever do anything other than serve as a Republican strawwoman for the main characters to argue with about whatever Sorkin's pet issue is this week?
She reminds us how Emily Procter looked before CSI: Miami vomited makeup on her.

• Locked thread