Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Also in some wars even if you have 100% war score they won't accept peace if they control any of your holdings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Apologies since this has probably been asked, but hey, 637 pages...

Is there a way, or mod perhaps, to go back to the old map? I'm playing for the first time in 6 or 10 months and this current version is significantly slower than it was before. I assume the map and massive amount of extra characters is a large cause of that.

I just want to pillage some brits, I don't need all this indian crap

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any suggestions for a good starting location/character for a succession game played with folks with a variety of skill levels? Looking to start in 867 and then export to EU4 in 1444.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Nosre posted:

Apologies since this has probably been asked, but hey, 637 pages...

Is there a way, or mod perhaps, to go back to the old map? I'm playing for the first time in 6 or 10 months and this current version is significantly slower than it was before. I assume the map and massive amount of extra characters is a large cause of that.

I just want to pillage some brits, I don't need all this indian crap

They have 1.111 and 2.0.4 up as "beta" opt-ins. Just right click -> properties -> betas tab and pick one to roll your game back. I think 2.0.4 is the one right before they expanded the map.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I just married my heir grandson to my daughter to get him back at my court. This game makes you do things :stonk:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

beedeebee posted:

I just married my heir grandson to my daughter to get him back at my court. This game makes you do things :stonk:

Ah, the inverted Hapsburg. Always a classic.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
game should let you pick what you siege imo, so you can go straight for the bishopric as a viking. Jack up the attrition from multiple hostile castles to compensate of course.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

TheBlackRoija posted:

They have 1.111 and 2.0.4 up as "beta" opt-ins. Just right click -> properties -> betas tab and pick one to roll your game back. I think 2.0.4 is the one right before they expanded the map.

Nice, thanks!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nosre posted:

Nice, thanks!

Just be aware that you'll miss out on all the nice usability features they've added to the game since 2.0.4.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
"So Gilbert, when did you realize you were gay?"

"This one time, when I was possessed by Lucifer, Abraxas came to me in a dream and convinced me."

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Now I'm imagining a gay version of the tooth fairy who just leaves a note that says YOU'RE GAY under the pillow.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That's called everyone in online gaming.

I wish I'd taken a screen shot, but I had a battle where a dude with 1 martial was decimating me to the tune of -5000 troops a DAY.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

So, after several attempts at getting the 1066 Karlings in a nice mega-duke position (my father in law the duke of Aquitaine kept getting the Kingdom which I didn't want), can anyone who's done this before tell me how you went about it. My first instinct is to declare independence and then swear fealty to the HRE and use their elective succession to get the throne after culture switching to German...my other idea is to scratch that plan completely and take over France and Aquitaine, request an invasion of the HRE and do things the old fashioned way. The only problem with that idea is that the Emperor has a monopoly on cardinals.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

So, after several attempts at getting the 1066 Karlings in a nice mega-duke position (my father in law the duke of Aquitaine kept getting the Kingdom which I didn't want), can anyone who's done this before tell me how you went about it. My first instinct is to declare independence and then swear fealty to the HRE and use their elective succession to get the throne after culture switching to German...my other idea is to scratch that plan completely and take over France and Aquitaine, request an invasion of the HRE and do things the old fashioned way. The only problem with that idea is that the Emperor has a monopoly on cardinals.

Isn't there a guide to the Karling Challenge in the same tutorial LP thread you're a part of? :raise:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Shadeoses posted:

Ofaloaf, how far south does the Postapoc America go?

I believe it goes to Nicaragua.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bloody Pom posted:

Isn't there a guide to the Karling Challenge in the same tutorial LP thread you're a part of? :raise:

I looked but he never goes higher than king.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Mongols are just the worst. It would be one thing if they had to actually, ya know, mind attrition. But couple their ability to march around 50-60k unit doomstacks with how swole horse archers are, and the difficulty of matching them numerically due to supply limits...

What a loving hassle.

After playing this game so long, I've grown tired of that bullshit. I managed to basically do the same as Kahzaria (except I left the Byzantium Empire alone mostly) and beat the Il Khanate, but I couldn't do it with the Mongols because they spawned at the rear end end of my Empire. I lost Turkestan the first time. After assassinating their leader, replacing him with a two year old and fermenting revolts for fifteen or so years, not one single one popped. Meanwhile, that area has been Jewish for over a century. If I was playing them, I'd get peasant revolts out the rear end. Like I did when I first conquered Tengri holdings. They never seemed to stop.

Next, they were going for Cumania, the entirety of it (gotta love that kingdom CB). I couldn't get all my troops across the desert because attrition, meanwhile they're free to stack 70k+ on an area that has about 10k supply for six months and decimate my units. The defense of that they're a steppe people doesn't work when I'm loving one myself and I've got to deal with attrition.

So gently caress it. I just de-spawn all of their cheating bullshit. I probably could just save and reload a few times, but it isn't worth it. I don't find the Mongols all that interesting and I've always hated the way hordes function to begin with.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 31, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Is there any way to get the game to stop automatically re-assigning wards when I'm playing as a muslim. It keeps switching guardians around for my daughters and pissing everyone off.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dapper Dan posted:

After playing this game so long, I've grown tired of that bullshit. I managed to basically do the same as Kahzaria (except I left the Byzantium Empire alone mostly) and beat the Il Khanate, but I couldn't do it with the Mongols because they spawned at the rear end end of my Empire. I lost Turkestan the first time. After assassinating their leader, replacing him with a two year old and fermenting revolts for fifteen or so years, not one single one popped. Meanwhile, that area has been Jewish for over a century. If I was playing them, I'd get peasant revolts out the rear end. Like I did when I first conquered Tengri holdings. They never seemed to stop.

Next, they were going for Cumania, the entirety of it (gotta love that kingdom CB). I couldn't get all my troops across the desert because attrition, meanwhile they're free to stack 70k+ instantly on an area that has about 10k supply and decimate my units. The defense of that they're a steppe people doesn't work when I'm loving one myself and I've got to deal with attrition.

So gently caress it. I just de-spawn all of their cheating bullshit. I probably could just save and reload a few times, but it isn't worth it. I don't find the Mongols all that interesting and I've always hated the way hordes function to begin with.

They're supposed to be a late game challenge.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They're supposed to be a late game challenge.

I know and I've dealt with them before legitimately. I've done boat bombs and the like and beat them when I was playing as Byzantium and Russia and Egypt. They were never fun for me and always more of a bullshit thing I had to deal with if I was remotely in the area. Or in one case, when I was Scandinavia and they had conquered up to and beyond Germany.

Since I don't find dealing with them fun in any aspect and I've beaten them (and been beaten by them) before, it is usually much more cathartic for me to eliminate them from the game altogether than spend time doing something I don't enjoy.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Dapper Dan posted:

Since I don't find dealing with them fun in any aspect and I've beaten them (and been beaten by them) before, it is usually much more cathartic for me to eliminate them from the game altogether than spend time doing something I don't enjoy.

Use the tribal invasion CB on the pope in Rome and the Mongols won't ever spawn.

Tribal Invasions destroy titles in the land you conquer, which means you can destroy the Pope.
The scripting for the Mongols turning up needs to be attached to a character, and in normal play there's always a Pope, even unlanded, so the Pope is the go-to guy for these kinds of event.
I think he's also used for the Jomsvikings.
But since there's no Pope, the Mongols event can't fire, so they never arrive.
Since the Timurids spawn from a Mongol holding, if there are no Mongols by the time he is supposed to appear, there won't be a secondary invasion either.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Edison was a dick posted:

Use the tribal invasion CB on the pope in Rome and the Mongols won't ever spawn.

Tribal Invasions destroy titles in the land you conquer, which means you can destroy the Pope.
The scripting for the Mongols turning up needs to be attached to a character, and in normal play there's always a Pope, even unlanded, so the Pope is the go-to guy for these kinds of event.
I think he's also used for the Jomsvikings.
But since there's no Pope, the Mongols event can't fire, so they never arrive.
Since the Timurids spawn from a Mongol holding, if there are no Mongols by the time he is supposed to appear, there won't be a secondary invasion either.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm going to try that. I usually just de-spawn them if I don't feel like dealing with them or if they threaten to take the entire map and eliminate interesting AI empires (like the Muslim Empire of Rus).

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I was wondering if there is something I can do about save game loading issues. I dont know if its a newer thing (but I didnt notice it so much before recently). Im playing A Game of Thrones mod quite a bit, and it is starting to take forever to load saves and possibly freeze up.

Ive heard this can be caused from resigning and reloading, which I dont really do. I was wondering if there is any other reason, ie the new patch that could cause this. Id hate to scrap my game because everything I get around 30 years past the start date my saves wont load.

Edit: I think I just busted my save file somehow, but it was all after a certain point (and with any saves after) that they just wont load. I might just go back some years, or give up and start a new game just incase. If anyone has experienced this Id appreciate some info, I dont wanna be playing it if its common to that mod.

Touchdown Boy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 31, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Has anyone else experience continuous freezing? I haven't played for a patch or 2 but now after 100s of hours of play with no problems I can't progress past a certain date without the game completely freezing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Holy hell is Lux Invicta fun. I started out as Murchad ua Bruain (funny old thing :v:) and thanks to being Druidic, I was able to holy war the gently caress out of all the Christian and Norse dukes.

He's now Emperor Murchad 'The Implacable' of the Celtic Empire, spanning Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Devon and Brittany. :hist101:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I looked but he never goes higher than king.

I went to Emperor and have since finished the LP, but the OP might not have been updated. Personally, I mega-duked the gently caress out in France, eventually maneuvered onto the throne through Elective, abdicated, knocking me back to duke level, joined the HRE, pressed my claim on France, then bankrolled some rebellions in the HRE with my massive cash reserve that is the Bishopric of Cluny to knock CA back down to minimum, which weakened the Empire enough for it to pretty much stay there. Then I continued to butter up the Pope and use his claims to expand wherever I could. When I had enough land to form Francia, I then made the Empire elective, pushed myself via rebellion, formed Francia, diplo-vassalized everybody (except one count I had to war) and ended up with I believe the entire Old Gods Karling territory under my thumb and then some.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheMcD posted:

I went to Emperor and have since finished the LP, but the OP might not have been updated. Personally, I mega-duked the gently caress out in France, eventually maneuvered onto the throne through Elective, abdicated, knocking me back to duke level, joined the HRE, pressed my claim on France, then bankrolled some rebellions in the HRE with my massive cash reserve that is the Bishopric of Cluny to knock CA back down to minimum, which weakened the Empire enough for it to pretty much stay there. Then I continued to butter up the Pope and use his claims to expand wherever I could. When I had enough land to form Francia, I then made the Empire elective, pushed myself via rebellion, formed Francia, diplo-vassalized everybody (except one count I had to war) and ended up with I believe the entire Old Gods Karling territory under my thumb and then some.

I actually considered the op hadn't been updated and went back and checked on what you did. I independently followed a similar path to you except I joined the HRE as mega duke of all of Aquitaine + some juicy french stuff (Champagne/Valois and some other poo poo), usurped Aquitaine and am sitting around as a mega king. I don't actually control any German lands so I can't get in on the election, but the game keeps freezing and I can't progress. What was the HRE like when you first became their vassal? They're already on high CA and I had a hard enough time loving with France and they never got passed medium.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I actually considered the op hadn't been updated and went back and checked on what you did. I independently followed a similar path to you except I joined the HRE as mega duke of all of Aquitaine + some juicy french stuff (Champagne/Valois and some other poo poo), usurped Aquitaine and am sitting around as a mega king. I don't actually control any German lands so I can't get in on the election, but the game keeps freezing and I can't progress. What was the HRE like when you first became their vassal? They're already on high CA and I had a hard enough time loving with France and they never got passed medium.

Mine was on High when I started loving with them in update 15. I had all of de jure France minus Normandy and about a third of Aquitaine, a good bit of which I gained while inside the HRE, since only Absolute can stop me from declaring war on outside targets.

loving with the HRE isn't all that hard if you can land one decisive blow. The basic idea is as follows:

- Banish the Bishop of Cluny for loadsamoney.
- Hire mercs to bring you up to the level of the HRE. Who cares if you're bleeding money.
- Revolt to lower CA.
- Beat the gently caress out of the imperial levies. Make sure their big stacks are wiped the hell out.
- This should give you plenty of warscore and at the same time make other factions feel good about their chances.
- While you're winning your revolt, more revolts, mostly for claimants, should spring up.
- Every time a claimant faction succeeds, CA gets lowered, the Emperor gets less levies, more people feel good about their chances, and the cycle continues until you hit Autonomous Vassals. You can potentially help along yourself if a new guy becomes Emperor and resets your truce.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Nonono you guys, this is how you do the Karling challenge:

- Your wife will inherit a county as long as your father in law dies without sons. Pray that this happens.
- Find a nice claimant on some Irish counties, and go incorporate them into France.
- Break free just before the possessed king of France turns Muslim and gets his rear end crusaded.
- By now, you should be holding northern France (known as "Ireland"), the middle being Jerusalem, held by a returning crusader somehow and the south being part of England.
- Put three successive wives on the throne of Byzantium during gigantic Byzantine revolts. Watch two of them come home landless and sans eyes before it sticks.
- Press your son's claim on Norway for shits and giggles. Have fun fighting the Mongols in one end of your realm and Norwegian separatists in the other, while juggling the different inheritance systems of two kingdoms and an empire.

Mugabe
Dec 4, 2012

I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.
Guys I feel like an idiot but I am actually having trouble installing Lux Invicta. I downloaded the one from before the map update, because better to play a more stable version, and I can't seem to install it right.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Has anyone else experience continuous freezing? I haven't played for a patch or 2 but now after 100s of hours of play with no problems I can't progress past a certain date without the game completely freezing.

Across multiple games or just in one? I've had a thing lately where I get multiple CTDs at the same exact date unless I go back a few years in the autosaves.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

Across multiple games or just in one? I've had a thing lately where I get multiple CTDs at the same exact date unless I go back a few years in the autosaves.

It has something to do with the game speed. If I mash + like I normally do it crashes, but if I build up speed and sit on 4 for a bit it's fine.

As for my attempt at the Karling challenge, I was looking at the insanely buff HRE and wondering how I could ever hope to dent it...then the old Kaiser dies and everything explodes with my guy laughing maniacally in the middle of is all.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why can't I start a faction to institute elective monarchy? I basically combo'd the HRE from high to autonomous by outnumbering them 5:1, but there aren't any factions available now. Is it because I aren't a dejure vassal? I don't really mind because my heir is betrothed to a girl with an inheritable claim to the whole she-bang, but I still don't wanna wait 2 generations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why can't I start a faction to institute elective monarchy? I basically combo'd the HRE from high to autonomous by outnumbering them 5:1, but there aren't any factions available now. Is it because I aren't a dejure vassal? I don't really mind because my heir is betrothed to a girl with an inheritable claim to the whole she-bang, but I still don't wanna wait 2 generations.

I did the entire thing while staying France, so that shouldn't be a problem. Is it maybe because you're still on the truce and can't make a faction because of that?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheMcD posted:

I did the entire thing while staying France, so that shouldn't be a problem. Is it maybe because you're still on the truce and can't make a faction because of that?

Nah, because before then the only faction available was lower CA and the emperor was caving immediately to my demands.

edit- did you not control any German lands? I control German stuff, but I don't directly own anything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nah, because before then the only faction available was lower CA and the emperor was caving immediately to my demands.

edit- did you not control any German lands? I control German stuff, but I don't directly own anything.

I controlled German lands, but didn't own any myself as well. However, I just went back and doublechecked how I did it, and I ended up joining somebody else's faction for Elective, so maybe non de jure vassals can't do that and you need to join another faction, then eventually maybe take it over when people leave.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Probably a dumb question, but does your ruler have the incapable trait? I'm pretty sure that locks out factions entirely.

Here's the script for who's allowed to start an elective faction and when:

code:
# Plotter scope
	potential = {
		prisoner = no
		is_ruler = yes
		independent = no
		is_landed = yes
		is_adult = yes
		NOT = { trait = incapable }
		liege = { 
			is_feudal = yes 
			OR = {
				year = 1350
				primary_title = { is_tribal_type_title = no }
				NOT = { culture = ROOT }
				NOT = { religion = ROOT }
			}
			OR = {
				NOT = { religion_group = pagan_group }
				is_reformed_religion = yes
			}
			NOT = { religion_group = indian_group }
			NOT = {
				any_demesne_title = {
					temporary = yes
				}
			}			
		}
		NOT = { religion_group = muslim }
		primary_title = { higher_tier_than = BARON }

NOT = { in_faction = faction_succ_seniority }
		NOT = { in_faction = faction_succ_primogeniture }
		NOT = { in_faction = faction_succ_gavelkind }

OR = {
			# Is not affected by a Crown Law title
			NOT = {
				crownlaw_title = {
					always = yes
				}
			}

# The Crown Law title holder is my liege
			crownlaw_title = {
				holder_scope = {
					ROOT = {
						liege = {
							character = PREVPREV
						}
					}
				}
			}

# The Crown Law title allows vassal infighting
			crownlaw_title = {
				NOT = {
					OR = {
						has_law = centralization_2
						has_law = centralization_3
						has_law = centralization_4
					}
				}
			}
		}

NOT = { has_character_modifier = faction_succ_feudal_elective_ultimatum_timer }
	}

# Target scope
	allow = {
		NOT = { has_law = succ_feudal_elective }

has_law = centralization_0

OR = {
			is_primary_holder_title = yes
			higher_tier_than = DUKE
		}

holder_scope = {
			NOT = {
				any_war = {
					war_title = ROOT
					using_cb = change_feudal_elective_succession_law
				}
			}

NOT = {
				reverse_has_opinion_modifier = {
					who = FROM
					modifier = opinion_coerced_into_leaving_faction
				}
			}
		}

}

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm new to this game. I betrothed myself to marry a 13 year old so I'd inherit her lands when her father is murdered somehow dies. Now she's 19 and we're still just betrothed. How the hell do we get married?!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

timp posted:

I'm new to this game. I betrothed myself to marry a 13 year old so I'd inherit her lands when her father is murdered somehow dies. Now she's 19 and we're still just betrothed. How the hell do we get married?!

Ask her to marry in the diplomacy menu. Betrothals are basically just saying "we'll marry once we can", you actually still need to make the marriage happen yourself. Still, once the marriage is possible, the AI side should immediately have sent out a request to fulfill the betrothal. Might be that you missed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

TheMcD posted:

Ask her to marry in the diplomacy menu. Betrothals are basically just saying "we'll marry once we can", you actually still need to make the marriage happen yourself. Still, once the marriage is possible, the AI side should immediately have sent out a request to fulfill the betrothal. Might be that you missed that.

I tried to Arrange Marriage once she turned 15 (her portrait changed from a kid to an adult so I figured that was my cue [god this game is creepy sometimes]), but it won't let me choose myself as her match. She doesn't like me very much, does that matter? I'm playing the GoT mod as Roose Bolton so I'm kind of a creep. When I give her a gift it raises her opinion of me to a whopping 2.

• Locked thread