Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wendell posted:

Wow, what a dumb reaction that guy had.

Yeah, he was annoying loud and obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Anyone wanna spoil it for someone who's sick of sitting thru credits for poo poo?

It's a cameo by Howard the Duck.

e:

teagone posted:

Yeah, he was annoying loud and obnoxious.

Makes me glad to live in a country where talking in public will make you a persona non grata for the whole ball season.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 30, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Another link, and the people filming it should be killed based on their voices:
http://www.underthegunreview.net/2014/07/30/guardians-of-the-galaxy-post-credits-sequence-leaks-online-and-its-hilarious/

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Darko posted:

James Gunn has proven to be a pretty good director - why would you think this would happen?
People said mean things about Avengers!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There is now a Guardians of the Galaxy thread. You're welcome.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Super is a superhero movie but I don't think it's based on a comic book. It's one of my favorite movies and for a movie that costed 2.5 million dollars it is very good at establishing what it is about using imagery, and is a true 'comic book movie' in terms of exploration of that aesthetic.

I remember when Avengers first came out and film crit hulk wrote a long rear end essay about how nice it was to have 'fun' in comic book movies again. I would really have enjoyed a version of avengers that was actually fun, but I see what he's getting at. GotG might just be that movie. Super managed to be fun in a very nuanced way, the question is whether executive meddling / being a marvel project / trying to be more mainstream has affected Gunn's work. I'm optimistic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I would consider myself a James Gunn fan based on Dawn of the Dead 04 and Slither, but Super is a serious lump of dogshit.

edit: I forgot he wrote Tromeo and Juliet too, that's a great way to start your career.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In today's especially Bad Avengers Shot of the Day, Thor is desperately trying to smash his way out of a falling, violently spinning death-trap.

As with all BASotD entries, the camera is fairly static, and specific frames are selected for maximum clarity.

I am nothing if not fair.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a cameo by Howard the Duck.

I really regret hovering over that spoiler, that sounds like it would have been amazing to see with no warning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
So Avengers has like, one maybe two shot compositions doesn't it. And they all look like they were filmed in a single room.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Super is a serious lump of dogshit.

Explain.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I still can't believe this was used in the final movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

It's the only thing my mind shoots back to thinking about Spiderman, and keep in mind, I still kinda like it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The comedy's not funny, the "edgy" bits are super cheap, and it ends with one of the most limp, unearned grasps at pathos I can recall in like... any movie. It's an ugly (both tonally and visually), mean-spirited, wet fart of a movie. The crappy Observe and Report.

I will grant that Ellen Page is good in it, and Dwight is at least good enough to convince me he could play a "serious" role in a better movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Alright, which one of you assholes added that image to SMG's avatar?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thrawn527 posted:

Hahaha Jesus christ that was quick.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

You can at least get what Raimi was going for, because it's obviously a cartoon joke. Plus, it's not totally awful; the banner and the band of orange light draw your attention to the two main skeletons, and especially to the skull of the most prominent one.

If you follow the light, it quickly establishes that they've been totally skeletonized. It goes from the skull, to the ribcage of the second guy, to the pelvis of the third guy - a bright triangular shape in the centre of the screen.

(Oh hey, a new av!)

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The comedy's not funny, the "edgy" bits are super cheap, and it ends with one of the most limp, unearned grasps at pathos I can recall in like... any movie. It's an ugly (both tonally and visually), mean-spirited, wet fart of a movie. The crappy Observe and Report.

I think you misunderstood the entire film.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As someone who thought Deadpool is hella overdone and cannot possibly conceive of why anyone would want to waste the planet's resources on a whole movie about him, I have to say that I really enjoyed the teaser. That shot of the drawing was peerless.

thrawn527 posted:

The list of suspects with motivation can be boiled down to every single poster on every single thread in this forum alone.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

Wasn't me, I can't even afford one for myself :(

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Hbomberguy posted:

I'd really like to know what you thought of it, since I wholeheartedly agree with all of Boogeyman's points and can't find anything redeeming about Super.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

It's kinda your fault for not having him on ignore already.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

That's cool, you're allowed to think that.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
In light of the recent "looks like a comic book" discussion, I hope no one forgets this very comic-book looking comic-book movie...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jamesman posted:

It's kinda your fault for not having him on ignore already.

Ignore lists are for chumps.

NarkyBark posted:

In light of the recent "looks like a comic book" discussion, I hope no one forgets this very comic-book looking comic-book movie...

Did that get a BR? That looks crazy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I love the little bits of unrestrained Raimi that leak through in the Spider-Man movies (3's dance number, the montages, Dafoe's Green Goblin in general), but they usually seem to be the biggest targets.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NarkyBark posted:

I re-watched Flash Gordon recently for the umpteenth time and I still couldn't quite believe how gorgeous it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I love the little bits of unrestrained Raimi that leak through in the Spider-Man movies (3's dance number, the montages, Dafoe's Green Goblin in general), but they usually seem to be the biggest targets.

I find myself being defensive about Tobey Macguire's weepy, wimpy Peter Parker. I think it's a good character.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

morestuff posted:

I agree, and also the tentacle point-of-view scene in Spider-man 2 is fantastic and one of the Raimiest scene in the series.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I find myself being defensive about Tobey Macguire's weepy, wimpy Peter Parker. I think it's a good character.

Same here. People forget that Peter Parker is supposed to be a dweeby nerd.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Surlaw posted:

I agree, and also the tentacle point-of-view scene in Spider-man 2 is fantastic and one of the Raimiest scene in the series.

Everybody seems to love that scene, though — the campiness sits fine with people in a horror context, but when you have Green Goblin pretending to be an old lady it's harder to roll with.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

NarkyBark posted:

That film is so bad it is loving awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

but when you have Green Goblin pretending to be an old lady it's harder to roll with.

I love that poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Same here. People forget that Peter Parker is supposed to be a dweeby nerd.

I could go on for a while about why Garfield as Spider-Man gets on my nerves, but the thing that really made me dislike the character is the way he talks down to his Aunt May.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Any movie with this soundtrack is loving awesome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS4_Z84-rRE

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I gave a poo poo about him. Which is more I can say about Garfield's Parker.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I feel like it's something you need the benefit of nostalgia for at least a little bit because I saw it for the firt time this year and man does that movie draaaaaaaag

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I feel like it's something you need the benefit of nostalgia for at least a little bit because I saw it for the firt time this year and man does that movie draaaaaaaag

Right when it drags the most, Timothy Dalton shows up just to interest you again.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

that is some heavy breathing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

Right when it drags the most, Timothy Dalton shows up just to interest you again.

Fair point. Dalton and Blessed are fantastic in it, and I gotta give the makeup crew points for making Max Von Sydow completely unrecognizable.

• Locked thread