Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Codependent Poster posted:

John Layman is taking over. I never read Chew so I dunno how good he is.

John Layman once wrote a good comic out of the concept, "Let's make a sequel to Scarface. No, Tony totally survived. He did."

He also wrote Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness, which was better than it had any right to be. But yeah, Chew is good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

He also wrote Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness, which was better than it had any right to be.

It was also better than every other Marvel Zombies book before or since.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lurdiak posted:

I will fight you over the two series with Machine Man in them.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Machine Man makes everything good.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Man every announcement was basically underwhelming. At least Aaron is still doing God of Thunder and interesting stuff but I don't really have any interest in putting A list creators onto film/tv show spin off books.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It might have been better than Marvel Zombies 4, but it certainly wasn't better than Marvel Zombies 3.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gavok posted:

John Layman once wrote a good comic out of the concept, "Let's make a sequel to Scarface. No, Tony totally survived. He did."

He also wrote Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness, which was better than it had any right to be. But yeah, Chew is good poo poo.

I read his Detective Comics run, and to be honest, while it certainly wasn't horrendous but it certainly felt boring. At best, it introduced The Penguins new arch-nemesis, Man-Penguin (actually Emperor Penguin). He was cool, but as a Batman book the most boring character takes center stage. And that is what I think his failing is, without distinctly interesting characters Layman's writing is a mess. This is best contrasted with Chew whose characters are all extremely distinct, and all a joy to read (or at least for the first 20-or-so issues I read). Even his Mars Attacks series was more interesting and engaging than his Batman run. However, I do think another major factor in Chew's success is in it's amazing cartoonist-ry that showed off his animated writing. This is fairly evident in his Mars Attacks where everything is drawn ala the DC House Style, making his script less punchier.

Not to say it's a bad run, but it could be better. As for Batman, it's a gig marred by a boring lead and uninspired art, all without the benefit of Layman's biggest strength, humorous self-awareness.

As for what my big point is, it's that I'm wary his Cyclops run will actually be worthwhile. And that problem comes from Lil' One Eye himself. In addition, with the supporting cast being round out by the Starjammers, I worry Layman will be able to create interesting characters and output something entertaining. Especially since this is the artist:

That said, I base this on a Batman run that for all I know, was meddled with by the editors to hell and back. As well, his Mars Attacks could have similarly been mangled by a less capable or cooperative artist. For all I know, come January and we'll be speaking of Cyclops as the new Hawkeye and bringing more swashbuckling into our lives. I sure Hope so as I would much rather have a good pirate comic than a bad Layman one.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dacap posted:

I'm not really impressed with a lot of the creative team changes I've been hearing on books at Marvel recently.

Waid is leaving Hulk, Ellis is leaving Moon Knight, Rucka is leaving Cyclops, Hawkeye is ending and it looks like Fraction is done at Marvel completely.

Is Fraction done with Marvel over drama? Or does he just like doing his own books outside of the big two better?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Trast posted:

Is Fraction done with Marvel over drama? Or does he just like doing his own books outside of the big two better?

I think he's only doing creator owned now that he's in demand. He just got Eisner awards for both Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How was Inhumanity? We have the big hardcover at work and I might borrow it (not a euphemism for shoplifting, we can borrow some books). Worth reading for free?

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Waterhaul posted:

Man every announcement was basically underwhelming. At least Aaron is still doing God of Thunder and interesting stuff but I don't really have any interest in putting A list creators onto film/tv show spin off books.

Yeah I can't remember one time I felt especially hyped about the announcements from any publisher at SDCC this year. Everyone's playing it safe until NYCC I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Unmature posted:

How was Inhumanity? We have the big hardcover at work and I might borrow it (not a euphemism for shoplifting, we can borrow some books). Worth reading for free?
I honestly had no idea that Inhumanity was even finished.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I thought there was only like one issue, myself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Unmature posted:

I liked the main series (as well as Soule's Inhuman), but it was just two issues, and it definitely fizzled out due to endless delays, so there's not much point. That hardcover just looks to be a bunch of barely related tie-in issues, and I don't really think it'll be very fulfilling to read. Though it does look to have DeConnick's little Superior Spider-Ladies arc, which I think is by far the best work she's done for Marvel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were two issues of Inhumanity and maybe three one-shots, the Avengers Assembled tie in story and a few of other books.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Dacap posted:

I think he's only doing creator owned now that he's in demand. He just got Eisner awards for both Hawkeye and Sex Criminals.

Thanks.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I had no idea it even started. Aside from the mists showing up in Ms. Marvel and New Warriors, the event itself just seemed like a little background event while we all waited for Uatu to get shot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SilverSupernova posted:

I had no idea it even started. Aside from the mists showing up in Ms. Marvel and New Warriors, the event itself just seemed like a little background event while we all waited for Uatu to get shot.

The delayed launch of Inhuman derailed the entire event. And to add to the hilarity, imagine if it had started on time, Joe Mad couldn't even get the book out on time with a three month delay.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

The delayed launch of Inhuman derailed the entire event. And to add to the hilarity, imagine if it had started on time, Joe Mad couldn't even get the book out on time with a three month delay.

Joe Mad is a great artist, but I don't know why you'd ever hire him for a time sensitive event book, unless you told him it was supposed to come out a year earlier than it really was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Joe Mad is a great artist, but I don't know why you'd ever hire him for a time sensitive event book, unless you told him it was supposed to come out a year earlier than it really was.

I like that he once defended a super late book with the excuse that "a new Final Fantasy game came out."

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Rhyno posted:

I like that he once defended a super late book with the excuse that "a new Final Fantasy game came out."

Well, to be fair, it WAS Final Fantasy VII...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Chill Penguin posted:

Well, to be fair, it WAS Final Fantasy VII...

There were plenty of opportunities where he could work on the book while hitting circle with his toe repeatedly. The only time you actually need to pay attention is when you're navigating from the last cut scene to the next one.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Hey guys, we got a shout out on Brevoort's Formspring today :v:

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/93209240038/just-curious-you-mention-every-time-you-announce

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

I like that he never actually answered the question.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I prefer #HOPELESSLAND my new favorite writer/artist combo

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I like that he never actually answered the question.

He never does.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Vincent posted:

He never does.

To be fair most of the questions he gets are pretty dumb.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah, it must be fairly crappy to wake up in the morning and deal with probably thousands of asks, with roughly 60% of them being incredibly racist/sexist, another 10% asking if such-and-such is going to be collected (which isn't in his control), and another 20% essentially asking him to spoil an upcoming story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Todays Hawkeye was awesome and Barney is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. I love that family of gently caress ups.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, despite me not really giving a poo poo about Uncanny Avengers, I bought the latest issue after Remender boasted that it was the end of a story started in Uncanny X-Force #1. Now maybe I missed that particular story thread but, I didn't see any of that so I was wondering what the gently caress.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ElNarez posted:

So, despite me not really giving a poo poo about Uncanny Avengers, I bought the latest issue after Remender boasted that it was the end of a story started in Uncanny X-Force #1. Now maybe I missed that particular story thread but, I didn't see any of that so I was wondering what the gently caress.

The twins

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of twins. Whatever happened to those two characters that showed up in that Marvel Point One issue a few years ago? Was anything ever done with them outside of that one issue?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

Speaking of twins. Whatever happened to those two characters that showed up in that Marvel Point One issue a few years ago? Was anything ever done with them outside of that one issue?

Nope. While Marvel ended up salvaging Brubakers idea with Original Sin they were just scrapped when VanLente effectively left Marvel.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

Todays Hawkeye was awesome and Barney is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. I love that family of gently caress ups.

Hawkeye was great as usual. Has anyone seen a translation of the sign language from the issue though?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

I'm gonna be really mad if they turn Barney back into a boring, lovely villain when this run is over. The Barton brothers own.

19 was seriously excellent though. I'm going to miss this comic. :(

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 30, 2014

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rocket Raccoon's half raccoon/half blue alien thing triplet sons nephews are something I never knew I wanted to see more of.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 30, 2014

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
So I got the Blank Variant of Storm #1 -- what the heck do I do with it? It's the first time I've ever gotten one... save it for creator signatures? Commission an artist to draw a cover? What do most people do with these? Sorry I'm new to the world of ~*~comics~*~ and just picked it up since it was the only variant in the stack.

vvv Makes sense! Chicago Comic Con is coming up... maybe I can get something done there!

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 30, 2014

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

So I got the Blank Variant of Storm #1 -- what the heck do I do with it? It's the first time I've ever gotten one... save it for creator signatures? Commission an artist to draw a cover? What do most people do with these? Sorry I'm new to the world of ~*~comics~*~ and just picked it up since it was the only variant in the stack.

Most people take it to cons to have an artist draw something on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

vvv Makes sense! Chicago Comic Con is coming up... maybe I can get something done there!

Did your shop charge you more than the standard cover price for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Rhyno posted:

Did your shop charge you more than the standard cover price for it?

No, it was the same price as the standard cover.

• Locked thread