Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Don Lapre posted:

The demo unit and mine both seemed the same. When i turn the wheel to the next click it almost feels like its going to overshoot and then settles back into place. Its not nearly as precise as my DA2013.

Mine moves very precisely from one notch to the next when not in hyper-scroll mode. So I still think you just got/tested a bad unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's the "correct" way to tune sensitivity for games and general use? I'm thinking that maybe I'm supposed to turn the OS cursor speed setting all the way up/down/square-in-the-middle and adjust the DPI to taste, but which one?

Also, Goo, will the Logitech Gaming Software ever be released for Linux? My G400s is awesome on Windows but stupidly sensitive on Linux.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

VostokProgram posted:

What's the "correct" way to tune sensitivity for games and general use? I'm thinking that maybe I'm supposed to turn the OS cursor speed setting all the way up/down/square-in-the-middle and adjust the DPI to taste, but which one?

Also, Goo, will the Logitech Gaming Software ever be released for Linux? My G400s is awesome on Windows but stupidly sensitive on Linux.

In windows the OS cursor speed needs to be set at 6 in order to guarantee perfect accuracy (the ability for the cursor to land on every pixel on the screen)

From there, adjust DPI in the mouse settings to taste. (I believe that on certain mice you need to adjust in specific increments to guarantee accuracy but I'm not sure on the specifics here)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

The Lord Bude posted:

In windows the OS cursor speed needs to be set at 6 in order to guarantee perfect accuracy (the ability for the cursor to land on every pixel on the screen)

Not entirely true, what you really want is the mouse acceleration fix.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Lord Bude posted:

From there, adjust DPI in the mouse settings to taste. (I believe that on certain mice you need to adjust in specific increments to guarantee accuracy but I'm not sure on the specifics here)

Cool, thanks. One more question: what about in-game mouse sensitivity sliders and the "use raw input" feature?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

isndl posted:

Not entirely true, what you really want is the mouse acceleration fix.

For games that came out pre Windows XP?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'd like to point out that Logitech's own SetPoint software does a really good job of overriding Windows' mouse acceleration. Now if it only didn't get weird when the computer sleeps...

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

dissss posted:

For games that came out pre Windows XP?

There's no telling how many post-XP games are built off pre-XP code bases, or how much new code is being written with old (or lazy) assumptions in mind.

It's guaranteed to help if you have old games you like to replay, possibly helpful if playing newer games, and only detrimental if you have expectations of how mouse acceleration works in desktop mode. There's no reason not to install it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Trip report: returned the g700s and picked up the Taipan. I've been extremely pleased with the performance of this mouse so far. It's a lightweight mouse that feels well-built and responsive. Buttons are easy to use and just enough grip on the sides. I tend to favor a fingertip grip but sometimes use a claw and both have been pretty comfortable while allowing easy access to the functions of the mouse. Tracking is very smooth with raw input on. Strangely enough, I needed to up my sensitivity in my games even though I am now using a higher DPI. I wonder if this is due to how the Mamba handled automatic surface calibration with its dual sensors?

Took a quick clip of some tracking in a twitch shooter with the Taipan at low in-game sensitivity but highest DPI.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 17, 2014

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

e: Never mind. Decided to try submitting another RMA request with Corsair for the M90, even though I think it may have been a couple of years since I got this current replacement. In the meantime, I'm just going to go check out a couple of local stores to see which of the available mice with a decent sensor have a comfortable shape for my grip.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 19, 2014

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Just got a Corsair M95, trying to decide if I like it yet. Love the aluminum base and the shape is growing on me and it matches my K60 keyboard. Trying to figure out what to do with all the buttons. It's a heavy mouse with all the aluminum which I kinda like, really solid feel to it.

Sensor seems accurate but laser sensors always feel weird to me so trying to adjust to it and figure out the correct DPI setting. Haven't noticed any negative acceleration with my low sensitivity which is always my biggest concern. I had gone through 3 Death Adders over 6 years and loved that sensor but the quality was so poo poo.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 21, 2014

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
Just got my Minoix Avior 7000, and wow - it is a great mouse for people like me who uses the fingertip grip. The feedback from pressing the mouse buttons are great too! I think I finally found a mouse that fits me perfectly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Qvark posted:

Just got my Minoix Avior 7000, and wow - it is a great mouse for people like me who uses the fingertip grip. The feedback from pressing the mouse buttons are great too! I think I finally found a mouse that fits me perfectly.

Yeah I've been using mine for a couple of months now and it's become my favorite mouse so far. It's still a little heavier/bigger than would be ideal for me, but it's not an issue or anything.

The one feature I really wish it had though, would be a DPI toggle/rotate. As it is, there's only DPI Up/Down, and I'd like to just have 2 DPI settings and switch between the two with a single button. Really minor thing though, as I mostly just always use it at 500DPI. The Profile Switch Roll function is pretty great though.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Alright, I grabbed a G502 (my M90's out of the warranty period now), and it seems okay for the most part. The places where my fingers and palm rest or touch are smooth, there are plenty of buttons, the weight's fine out of the box and can be made heavier if I want, and it seems to track well (better after setting the tuning for my bare desk).

The only thing that I have an issue with is the slightly loud, slightly high, and not completely grippy metal scroll wheel. There's not really any noise if you switch to the hyperscroll/endless scroll mode, but on the locked mode it's kind of loud. My middle finger also sometimes slips off the metal surface without actually scrolling, which hasn't been an issue with any other mice I've had (they've all had some amount of plastic/rubber on the wheel). It's probably just a combination of it being relatively smooth metal (besides the grooves), and the fact that the wheel sits slightly higher in comparison to other mice I've had. That's probably something I'll just have to adapt to. If not for the scroll wheel issues, it would likely be a great mouse.

I still haven't had enough time to play any games with it, so we'll see how it does there. But, I'll likely keep it until it either breaks outside of warranty, or I get bored at some point down the road and want to try something new.

E: Oh yeah, and the main left/right feel easier to activate compared to the G500 I put on my parents' computer. You can click SO MUCH FASTER!!! :pcgaming:

And the scroll wheel occasionally doesn't register a single step/click/whatever when scrolling. I guess I'll find out how annoying that gets.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2014

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
My Zowie FK1 came in today. Strangely it feels heavier than the Rival in my hands. Could be cause the rubber sides on the Rival were a little easier to grip but probably cause I'm not used to it yet. The feet are super low profile which worries me a bit. I'll also be getting a Rovcat kone military tomorrow to compare.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Well, I'm returning the G502. I already exchanged it once to see if the scroll wheel skipping issue is a regular issue for this model, and it apparently is since the second one has the same problem. I also can't really get over how the wheel feels in use, and the overall mouse shape feels maybe a little too narrow for my hand. It seems like a nicely built mouse otherwise, but it's just not for me.

I'm also trying an Avior 7000 out right now, and the weight and the wheel feel a lot better to me. I need to adjust my grip slightly so my ring finger's not hitting the buttons on the right side, but other than that it seems pretty good. It might not have a "completely flawless" sensor like the G502, but it seems good enough so far.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
After a week of using the MMO7 which I liked the shape of, the software is pretty much garbage on a Mac and I returned it.

A week with the Naga MMO Expert (wired) and this mouse feels fantastic. The movement is light and just the right grip for my medium-large hands. The numpad on the side is quite handy and the clicks are fairly satisfying. The finish is also great for my sweaty hands.

Much like the ^^^ mention about the G502 being too narrow and the wheel not feeling right, I feel the Naga fits just right and the wheel is has a pretty satisfying click yet is pretty easy to side-click compared to my old MX Revolution.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
How good are Steelseries at replacements? Got a Kana about 14 months ago and the braiding is so hard it has managed to damage the wire at the usb plug over time. Warranty is 2 years here but I'd rather not go through retailers if I can.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'm looking for a wireless keyboard and mouse to use on my living room's media/gaming PC. I'm not looking to win any tournaments but would like to game comfortably without resorting to a controller. Any suggestions?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's a rubber dome, but the Logitech Wave wireless makes one badass living room keyboard. And, I pick one up for literally $2 just about every time I go to Goodwill. I have no clue why they keep popping up.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I'm selling used Deathadder 2013 and G400s in SA-Mart. Sorry if this isn't kosher for thread I figure people might be looking for a cheap deal or a try out.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, in my search for a replacement mouse, I picked up a Roccat Kone Pure Military. Basic breakdown so far:
  • Build quality seems good
  • Nice light weight
  • Main switches feel nice
  • Side buttons seem okay (but slightly awkward to hit the closer one because of the overall mouse size)
  • Scroll wheel is solid but easy to move
  • Overall shape is okay for a right-handed combination fingertip and palm grip
  • Software's relatively simple and easy to use with as many options as you need to properly adjust it to your preferences
The only issues I have are that the size is a little small, even with my average-sized hands (~19 cm long and 8.4 cm wide), and the software has unnecessary bloat in the form of "achievements" for using the mouse. You should be able to just uninstall the software after you adjust the settings to your liking, though. The size would probably be better for someone who's strictly a claw gripper. Also, the lighting doesn't exactly work how they say (white shows as light purple, and it doesn't really work with certain colours or several colours just display as the same), but I turned it off anyway because the mouse looks better without that lit up logo.

If they make an XTD-sized version with the same (or a better) sensor, then it would probably be a great fit for me.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
I think I heard they're making a version if the xtd with the 3310. The kone military was too small for my hands as well, and the ridge in the thumb area did not help. It did seem very high quality though.

Now that I've used the FK1 for a bit I love it. Best FPS mouse I've ever had.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

So, the pictures and pages people found a little while ago for a G402 "Hyperion Fury" that Logitech reps were dismissing as concept models for the G502 are apparently for a real product now. It has a similar shape to the G502, non-metal single state (regular) scroll wheel, looks like a different sensor, lighter but non-adjustable weight, fewer buttons, no mention of the surface tuning that the G502 has, one year shorter warranty, and is priced $20 cheaper. No idea when the release date's supposed to be, though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Grog posted:

So, the pictures and pages people found a little while ago for a G402 "Hyperion Fury" that Logitech reps were dismissing as concept models for the G502 are apparently for a real product now. It has a similar shape to the G502, non-metal single state (regular) scroll wheel, looks like a different sensor, lighter but non-adjustable weight, fewer buttons, no mention of the surface tuning that the G502 has, one year shorter warranty, and is priced $20 cheaper. No idea when the release date's supposed to be, though.

So its cheaper and better in every way. Got it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Don Lapre posted:

So its cheaper and better in every way. Got it.

Well it has less buttons and doesn't have a tilt/adjustable scrollwheel. It's basically an improved G400(s).

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Logitech just annouced the G400s successor, the G402. I hope it has an optical sensor and not a laser. The product page doesn't make it clear what kind it has. Does anyone have an idea?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nobody actually uses scrollwheel tilt do they?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Logitech just annouced the G400s successor, the G402. I hope it has an optical sensor and not a laser. The product page doesn't make it clear what kind it has. Does anyone have an idea?

the product page posted:

Hyperion Fury combines an optical sensor featuring Logitech Delta Zero technology with our exclusive Fusion Engine hybrid sensor

The "hybrid sensor" seems to be referring to a gyrometer sensor.

I'm wondering if gyrometers are accurate enough for this to really work as a replacement...? Do they work well at high speeds but not low speeds? If they're accurate why don't we just use those instead of worrying about mousepads (it is a mousepad maker conspiracy, isn't it?)

Don Lapre posted:

Yes, some people do, different strokes. If you ask again I'm sure all of them will give you one crazy tip for using it in different applications.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Darn, I just ordered a G400s because my MX518 is finally wearing out and the G400s was $32 on Amazon. Now I'm wondering if this thing might be better, gyrometric sensor is certainly different.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The gyrometer only kicks in (as affecting your cursor movement) when you are moving the mouse really fast. It is entirely optical except for those times it thinks the optical sensor won't be able to keep up, if I understand correctly.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Bitch try to take away my tab switch slash volume control from me.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

kaschei posted:

The gyrometer only kicks in (as affecting your cursor movement) when you are moving the mouse really fast. It is entirely optical except for those times it thinks the optical sensor won't be able to keep up, if I understand correctly.

I really want to see a video of how fast you have to move your hand in order to hit the malfunction speed of your typical high end optical sensor. They're over 4 m/s these days, which sounds ludicrously fast to me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Don Lapre posted:

Use your imagination.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Don Lapre posted:

I use it in games that use a health/mana mechanic like D3. Left wheel pot, right wheel manapot.

Also Im just getting "bored" of my g700 and want to treat myself, perfect timing on the G402, nearly pulled the trigger on a G502 the other day

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I really want to see a video of how fast you have to move your hand in order to hit the malfunction speed of your typical high end optical sensor. They're over 4 m/s these days, which sounds ludicrously fast to me.

It's probably for the FPS super-weirdos with sensitivity at 0.1 and fabric-covered drafting tables for mousepads.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Don Lapre posted:

I know you've already been answered but it is fantastically useful in my DAW for seeking within a track/stem :) I missed that feature quite a bit when I moved to the former mouse, the Coolermaster one. Also, I really love the metal wheel on the G502, it scrolls forever in free scroll mode - I wonder if that's impacted by a change to plastic. A question for G700/etc. owners, I guess?

I wish the bright rear end G were half as bright rear end as it is, because I feel weird for turning off a "feature" even if the real feature is you can turn the light off if you want :downs: That looks like a really good mouse coming out, comfortable going by appearances anyway and while a little feature bare compared to the higher end ones, I'll still definitely be paying attention to reviews.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 30, 2014

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Grog posted:

Yeah our support reps handled that incorrectly. And so did the people who weren't supposed to leak information.

It will be available starting late August/early September, but rollout on new products is usually inconsistent and it's hard to predict the exact timing.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

It uses the same optical sensor as the G100s, only with 80 CPI steps from 240-4000 instead of 250 CPI steps from 250-2500.

The Fusion Engine also includes combination accelerometer/gyro that keep track of speed while the mouse is moving but do not send data to the PC unless the optical sensor fails due to excessive speed. If such a failure happens the Fusion Engine switches sensors to the accelerometer/gyro until the optical sensor regains tracking capability. All of this happens in <1ms so there is never a report that does not contain good tracking data.

kaschei posted:

I'm wondering if gyrometers are accurate enough for this to really work as a replacement...? Do they work well at high speeds but not low speeds? If they're accurate why don't we just use those instead of worrying about mousepads (it is a mousepad maker conspiracy, isn't it?)
Inertial sensors don't do well at low speeds. If you've ever used a gyroscopic mouse to control a 10ft UI you've got a pretty good idea of how that manifests itself.

Don Lapre posted:

The number of people who berated me for not putting tilt on G602 suggests yes.

kaschei posted:

You do.

redstormpopcorn posted:

It's probably for the FPS super-weirdos with sensitivity at 0.1 and fabric-covered drafting tables for mousepads.
IT IS MY AR-15 CLEANING MAT I AM NOT WEIRD.

Agreed posted:

I wish the bright rear end G were half as bright rear end as it is, because I feel weird for turning off a "feature" even if the real feature is you can turn the light off if you want :downs: That looks like a really good mouse coming out, comfortable going by appearances anyway and while a little feature bare compared to the higher end ones, I'll still definitely be paying attention to reviews.
There was a firmware/software update for Proteus Core a few weeks back that added the ability to change the brightness of the LED. Hyperion Fury has this feature as well.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

VostokProgram posted:

Sorry I missed this. I am trying but cannot say it is likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Goo posted:

The number of people who berated me for not putting tilt on G602 suggests yes.

IT WAS YOU