Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

binarysmurf posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my headphones. in-built mic and media controls are necessary.

I'd like to step up in sound quality relative to my previous and current 'phones.

Budget:<= $200
Source: iPhone 5/256kbps audio
Isolation Requirements: Would like to block out inane chatter around me in bars/on public transport, along with associated engine noise. Would also like to avoid any audio leakage annoying others.
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM or Earbud, but open to other suggestions.
Preferred Tonal Balance: "balanced" relative to my listening preferences I guess.
Past Headphones: AudioFly AF45m (current), Sennheiser CX300-II (prior - blew them out after 18 months), Standard EarPods.
Preferred Music: Metallica, Eminem, EDM, Blues, guitar based Rock.

Get the Rocki-It R-50. They won't be the best for EDM or hip-hop, but guitars are brilliant on them. They have a mic version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
These sound descriptions are incredibly confusing. I tried looking up the Audio Technica M50 and there it says it has clean sound and even equalisation, but in the buying guide it says they're bassy, V-shaped and have recessed mids. Why are they different and does it even matter?

Looking over the recommendations, the terms "neutral", "excellent", "accurate", "good", "smooth", "detailed", "great", "balanced", "well defined" and "decent" all seem to blend together to say 'it will sound nice', even though some of those have actual definitions in the glossaries. If I'm just some shmuck that wants to get some quality all-around sounding headphones, what words should I be looking for? Or are all the choices fine and the details don't really affect much?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Mush Man posted:

These sound descriptions are incredibly confusing. I tried looking up the Audio Technica M50 and there it says it has clean sound and even equalisation, but in the buying guide it says they're bassy, V-shaped and have recessed mids. Why are they different and does it even matter?

Looking over the recommendations, the terms "neutral", "excellent", "accurate", "good", "smooth", "detailed", "great", "balanced", "well defined" and "decent" all seem to blend together to say 'it will sound nice', even though some of those have actual definitions in the glossaries. If I'm just some shmuck that wants to get some quality all-around sounding headphones, what words should I be looking for? Or are all the choices fine and the details don't really affect much?

Words used to describe sound are incredibly subjective. The best thing to do, if it's an option for you, is to find a place that lets you actually try out some headphones with music that you're familiar with. Barring that, some place with a good return policy. Additionally, what your point of reference is also important. If you've only ever used packed-in earbuds, almost anything that's pretty well regarded will probably be a big step up; whereas someone who already have a decent pair of headphones may find that another brand/model that's higher end may actually have a sound that they like less.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
Is it worth it to replace the drivers on a pair of Sennheiser HD600s? I've had these things for over fourteen years now and even though they've been mostly babied over the years they still have seen better days. The ear foams and headband foams are totally shot, and the left driver is sort of buzzy with some really low bass notes (Electric Wizard is practically unlistenable if only because it's so annoyingly prevalent). I'm getting ready to replace the foams, and I thought I would look into replacing one or both drivers, as I'd imagine it would make sense to do both just so they are evenly worn, not unlike brake rotors. Is this at all possible/feasible, or would I just be better off replacing them outright? The foams alone will cost somewhere in the range of $70 and I'm not about to dump any more than about $150 in the maintenance of these.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Jadius posted:

Is it worth it to replace the drivers on a pair of Sennheiser HD600s? I've had these things for over fourteen years now and even though they've been mostly babied over the years they still have seen better days. The ear foams and headband foams are totally shot, and the left driver is sort of buzzy with some really low bass notes (Electric Wizard is practically unlistenable if only because it's so annoyingly prevalent). I'm getting ready to replace the foams, and I thought I would look into replacing one or both drivers, as I'd imagine it would make sense to do both just so they are evenly worn, not unlike brake rotors. Is this at all possible/feasible, or would I just be better off replacing them outright? The foams alone will cost somewhere in the range of $70 and I'm not about to dump any more than about $150 in the maintenance of these.

The HD580/600/650 are probably the most repair-friendly headphones around, since you can replace practically every part. Sennheiser USA website doesn't show the driver, but they definitely are available for order, so give them a call and they'll give you a quote. If you want to replace both drivers then the cost might come out a bit over $150 (a 2012 post on Head-Fi says they were over $60 each), but not by that much, and considering that you're basically getting a new pair of HD600s at that point, it's still worth it if you like the headphones. I've had mine for not quite as long (probably like 11-12 years at this point), and I've had to replace the headband foam and earpads once each, and they remain my most frequently used pair due to the comfort and sound signature that I like.

E: Actually, they are available on Sennheiser's website, for $58: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/system-300r

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!

GokieKS posted:

The HD580/600/650 are probably the most repair-friendly headphones around, since you can replace practically every part. Sennheiser USA website doesn't show the driver, but they definitely are available for order, so give them a call and they'll give you a quote. If you want to replace both drivers then the cost might come out a bit over $150 (a 2012 post on Head-Fi says they were over $60 each), but not by that much, and considering that you're basically getting a new pair of HD600s at that point, it's still worth it if you like the headphones. I've had mine for not quite as long (probably like 11-12 years at this point), and I've had to replace the headband foam and earpads once each, and they remain my most frequently used pair due to the comfort and sound signature that I like.

E: Actually, they are available on Sennheiser's website, for $58: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/system-300r

Nice, thanks! $150 was just a ballpark, but what I really meant I guess is that I see no point in paying say $100 a driver, but upgrading them to new status for ~$200 is totally acceptable. I suppose there's little stopping me from dropping in 650 drivers instead, is there?

In the meantime I just took them apart and cleaned 14 years worth of hair and ear dirt out of them and I kinda want to vomit. I probably should have replaced the foams a long time ago.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Jadius posted:

Nice, thanks! $150 was just a ballpark, but what I really meant I guess is that I see no point in paying say $100 a driver, but upgrading them to new status for ~$200 is totally acceptable. I suppose there's little stopping me from dropping in 650 drivers instead, is there?

In the meantime I just took them apart and cleaned 14 years worth of hair and ear dirt out of them and I kinda want to vomit. I probably should have replaced the foams a long time ago.

Yeah, you can put in HD650 drivers - they're fully interchangeable. I don't see them on their website, but I'm sure they'll sell you a pair if you call them up asking for it.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Mush Man posted:

Because product descriptions are marketing bullshit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mush Man posted:

Most of the descriptions are white noise, but after a while you get really good at filtering them. If you're not looking straight into the frequency graph of the headphone you need a truckload of reviews in order to have any meaningful data to filter, though.

V-shaped and recessed mids mean the same thing, it means the mids have lower volume/impact than the lows and the highs, which means vocal sounds lower than usual (more "recessed"). Of course without seeing the actual tested headphone curve that means jack poo poo because the guy might be used to a headphone with boosted mids or the guy might be bullshitting you or what not.

You need some weapons-grade synesthesia to get through the terms:

code:
Emphasis on:
Bass ---------- Mid ---------- Treble
Dark ------------------------- Bright
Warm ------------------------- Cold
Bassy - Muddy - Forward ------ Harsh

No Emphasis:
Neutral, Balanced, Flat (Because of the flat response curve)

Recessed on:
Bass ---------- Mid ---------- Treble
Anemic ---- Airy - Veiled ---- Smooth

Decay Time (sometimes used interchangeably with the frequency emphasis)
Slow -------------- Avg -------------- Fast
Slow/Muddy/Anemic - Smooth - Natural - Detailed/Well-Defined
A "muddy" headphone is something between bassy and balanced with a lot of emphasis on the 250hz, the frequency everyone hates. Bad headphones tend to over-emphasize these frequencies to pretend to be bassy and the result is you not being able to hear the vocals clearly.

They use a lot of the texture analogy which drives everyone crazy. Mud has a low-frequency noise texture and is kinda amorphous, for example.

"Good soundstage" usually refers to feeling like the sound is coming from the outside. They'll usually call it "airy" (because the longer you are from the sound source the more the waves are influenced by, uh, the air) and that usually means recessed lower mids. The opposite of Airy is Forward. So you'll rarely see a "forward" headphone being said to have "good soundstage".

That's the most sense I could make from the terms, someone feel free to correct me.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 28, 2014

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Midorka posted:

...product descriptions are marketing bullshit.

Please bold, siren, and make flashing in the OP.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has anyone heard either of these AT IEMs?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHCOR150RD--Ear-Headphones/dp/B00BIDH86W/ref=sr_1_74?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1406573155&sr=1-74

Trompe le Monde
Nov 4, 2009

Are the Seinnheiser HD439 or HD449 any good? They're on sale so they're within my price range. Also I was reading reviews about burn in time or something, is that real or just more retarded bullshit.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm in Europe and there are no Pistons available here with shipping from Amazon. Is it somewhat safe to order them straight from alibaba off a seller with 300+ confirmed and rated Piston sales?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I think the OP mentions that burn-in is scientifically bullshit. Your ears may need to get used to a new sound signature, but small drivers don't require burn-in anymore than large speakers.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

the panacea posted:

I'm in Europe and there are no Pistons available here with shipping from Amazon. Is it somewhat safe to order them straight from alibaba off a seller with 300+ confirmed and rated Piston sales?

I also live in Europe and the pistons from the boaty guy linked here shipped just fine?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So after 2+ years and 2 warranty replacements I lost my B&W C5s on the trolley, I'm not too broken up about it but I really liked them and I spent almost $200 on them, on the other hand, over two years of use so I'm not heart broken.

Before I go out and buy another pair is there anything else I should seriously consider in the same-ish or lower price range? I really liked them and how secure they were in my ears, I had no complaints about the sound, maybe a little rattle on occasion. Oh and the construction felt a little fragile but they replaced them twice under warranty with no questions so that was't a huge deal.

The thing I liked most about them is how secure they stayed in my ears, part of the reason I lost them is as they hit the 2 year out of warranty mark I decided to start using them to walk the dogs in figuring they were getting near the end of their useful life anyways. I think I am going to get good pair of working out headphones, probably Bluetooth (Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 or Jaybirds) and then another pair of higher quality in-ears, I would like to stay under the $200 range, similar quality and sound to the B&W C5s if not another pair.

Past ear phones that I have owned were:

Shure E4c: Liked the sound, cord noise was annoying and didn't stay seated in my ears very well.
Shure E3c: Meh
Etymotic Research ER6: Owned forever and ever ago, liked but way too fragile

"Nice"
Budget: $100-$200, maybe higher
Source: iPhone/Android
Isolation Requirements: Strong, I want the world to float away regardless of where I am, the B&W C5s and Shure E4cs did a great job of this, would not complain about better
Preferred type of headphone: In-Ear
Preferred tonal balance: Neutal/balanced, I would like a wider sound, maybe leaning towards the bass as long as it didn't get muddy
Past headphones: B&W C5, Shure E4c
Preferred music: Trip-Hop, Jazz, House, electronic

As far as Bluetooth if anyone has any suggestions for something in-ear, I'm probably going to get the Plantronics BackBeat GO 2 or Jaybirds, most likely the Backbeat Go 2s, I mostly just want them to listen to podcasts while I am working out.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 30, 2014

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Trompe le Monde posted:

Are the Seinnheiser HD439 or HD449 any good? They're on sale so they're within my price range. Also I was reading reviews about burn in time or something, is that real or just more retarded bullshit.

I have a pair of HD439s and the only things I can say that are positive about them is they didn't make my ears bleed, and they were fairly comfortable for long use with my glasses. It's not offensively bad, it's just not great in any way.

iPod = GF
Dec 26, 2007

So I have some best buy vouchers and I want to buy some new headphones. I've narrowed it down to three choices: The polk nue voe, sony XBA H1, or the samsung level in (ig900). Does anyone have experience with any of these headphones (or any other suggestions from best buy's line-up)? I listen to a bit of everything but predominantly electronic music, so strong bass is a plus (it seems like all three have this). Any help much appreciated!

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Just throwing it out there that if anyone is in the $500 range for a good setup; I've had the HE-400 + schiit modi/magni for a year now and they're lovely for EDM(hardcore/freeflow).

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I have a Sennheiser pc360 headset that I use for music/games on my PC and lately the sounds muted from the left side, so I have the offer of exchanging it from Sennheiser for a new 363d for $175 + shipping. I'll probably go for it given a new pair costs at-least $270 here, but perhaps someone here can convince me there's a better choice in purchasing an around-ear headset or headphone + mic that doesn't require an amp.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone recommend a decent mic? I have he400s and I like them, but would like to use it as a gaming set.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bonobos posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent mic? I have he400s and I like them, but would like to use it as a gaming set.

What is the mic for? If it just gaming, get whatever $20 one is available at your local electronics place (put it on your desk). If it's for voice recording, look up 'blue snowball'.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I use a Blue Yeti with my HD600s because it also acts as a DAC that you can plug the headphones into for zero latency monitoring. It's kind of overkill for VoIP and gaming (though you can get it on sale for not *too* much - I think I paid $80 for it), but it works great and is probably the last mic I'll ever need to buy for my computer.

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

I was using Sennheiser HD280s as headphones for a long time that were worn out. I bought Sennheiser HD598 headphones, and while the audio quality is excellent in comparison I really miss the isolation from outside noise (closed vs open back). New earpads and headband thing form my HD280 is $50 so I was considering just buying Audio-Technica ATH-M30x/M40x/M50x. Does anyone have this headphone? how is the isolation and comfort when wearing for long periods? Whats the difference between the different models?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Manta posted:

I was using Sennheiser HD280s as headphones for a long time that were worn out. I bought Sennheiser HD598 headphones, and while the audio quality is excellent in comparison I really miss the isolation from outside noise (closed vs open back). New earpads and headband thing form my HD280 is $50 so I was considering just buying Audio-Technica ATH-M30x/M40x/M50x. Does anyone have this headphone? how is the isolation and comfort when wearing for long periods? Whats the difference between the different models?

The OP will be here any second to call them rubbish, but I think if you loved the 280pros, you'll like the ath-m50.

They have a lot of the same attributes. Foldable, similar pleather pads, coiled or straight cable, similar isolation. The AT's have a more durable headband than the sennheisers. Kind of a confined sound, but the 280s had that too.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 1, 2014

db franco
Jul 14, 2014

z06ck posted:

Just throwing it out there that if anyone is in the $500 range for a good setup; I've had the HE-400 + schiit modi/magni for a year now and they're lovely for EDM(hardcore/freeflow).

I wish I would have followed suit. I pony'd up for 650's, asgard/bifrost and it's a bit overkill. Lovely for EDM but I'd be interested to hear your setup... I doubt I am doing the difference justice.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

Midorka posted:

I love the R-50 for everything but electronic. Guitars are phenomenal on them.

Ended up going with the R-50s. Got here yesterday. They are drastically different sounding than my Etymotics but in a good way and I am enjoying them a lot so far. My only complaint are the memory wire ear-loop bits are a bit fiddly to get actually around my ears, but that probably just my goony head/ears shape.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Nah, the memory wire isn't that great imo. What do you like/dislike about them?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Like:
Mid range/Treble: Super accurate and clear. Really noticeable on guitars like you mentioned and all strings really. Found myself playing through anything them them and picking out detail I had not really noticed before.

Sound stage is wide and deep with good separation.

I like the silicon coating on the units adds a little bit of comfort. They also seem to sit enough in my ears that I can lay on my side and the sound doesn't get weird/muffled from the tip getting pushed further in. The cords, minus the memory part is pretty nice and seems to untangle quickly.

Middle ground:
The bass, maybe: The bass is actually seems very nice. There's good amount of mid and low bass that's clear with no muddiness, it does however lack the punch you want for a 4 to floor EDM track. So far I'm happy with the bass but I can understand why people would find it lacking.

Dislike:
The memory wire as mentioned.

Not a huge fan of the tips so far. Have only run the ones that were on there in the box but I feel like I'm not getting as good of a seal as I would like. I will try the smaller ones, and if all else fails I still have a few triple flange tip sets from my Etymotics and I will try them.

Of course this all with only a couple hours of use so everything has the shiny and new novelty factor to it. Also everything I've listened to has been through my Sansa, haven't tried anything through an amp yet.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 2, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

In all honesty I think the R-50 might have the best mid-range I've ever heard. Hopefully you can resolve the tip issue though, that's a bummer.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

I am sure tips and the memory wire will be just fine. I just need to sit down and fiddle with them, but I have been more interested in just listening to things than working on that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Anyone have opinions on/experience with the AIAIAI Tracks? They're half price locally.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Is the difference between the Etymotic ER-4PT and the HF3/5 worth the price difference?

Thanks!

Pappyland fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 4, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If you're interested in active noise cancelling, Daily Steal has the Bose QC15 for $199: http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/29559

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

If you're interested in active noise cancelling, Daily Steal has the Bose QC15 for $199: http://www.dailysteals.com/#d/29559

Under condition, they're classified as "recertified." What exactly does that imply?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Shif posted:

Under condition, they're classified as "recertified." What exactly does that imply?

Returned as defective, repaired by Bose or a registered repair shop. Generally a shorter warranty than new.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

grack posted:

Returned as defective, repaired by Bose or a registered repair shop. Generally a shorter warranty than new.

Truly repaired, or not worth the risk? Also, is it normal for Bose's noise-cancelling sets to seriously lack in the lows? A good friend of mine recently purchased (model unknown) a pair and I promptly tested out a drum and bass track. Much to my chagrin, the highs and mids were mildly penetrating, and the lows muffled at best. I tested with the noise-cancelling both activated and deactivated with trifle difference in quality produced. Could it be they were defective?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'm finally moving from my Modi/Magni. I was thinking of going Little Dot 1+, but that would have been a stop-gap. What I'm really eying is the WA6 or the WA7. WA6 would be my first choice but I may spring for the WA7 depending on how low it gets if it wins on Massdrop.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Shif posted:

Truly repaired, or not worth the risk? Also, is it normal for Bose's noise-cancelling sets to seriously lack in the lows? A good friend of mine recently purchased (model unknown) a pair and I promptly tested out a drum and bass track. Much to my chagrin, the highs and mids were mildly penetrating, and the lows muffled at best. I tested with the noise-cancelling both activated and deactivated with trifle difference in quality produced. Could it be they were defective?

That's just Bose. I think the saying goes, "no highs, no lows, must be Bose."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Shif posted:

QC15s have quite a bit of bass. Were these the on-ear or over-ear model? The on-ear ones are less bass-heavy I imagine.

edit: must not have been QC15s, they don't have an option to use them without the noise canceling.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 4, 2014