Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Baconroll posted:

I'm guessing they were using some ancient consumer grade network gear. It continues to astonish me how much ancient equipment is still out there - it was only 2 years ago I came across someone still using OS/2 on their desktop...

:stare: How the hell were they doing any work on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

The Cubelodyte posted:

Snarky ticket came in from a user that always wants BIGGEST NEWEST FASTEST NOW because he's really greedy. Asked for "the largest SSD possible" for his laptop, because he's filled his standard 256GB SSD (with what, who knows?) Approved by his boss (who is a nice guy but sadly rolls over for the jerks on his team).

Sent his boss a message through the ticket that I'd be purchasing his ~$3300 2TB SSD later today. Let's see whether or not he chokes on his lunch.

Pfft. Should've gone with the OCZ 3.2 TB SSD, which is only a measly $14,999.95 off Amazon.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A ticket came in. Gets escalated up to me. Guy's got some files failing to backup from a network share and the support techs can't figure out why.

So I open the log and the first thing I see is:

60468:61504:30/7/2014:00:01:26:466:: Failed to backup file \\?\UNC\OLD poo poo FROM PEOPLE THAT CANT KEEP THIS loving RANGER ORGANIZED! This is why poo poo gets hosed up ALL the time at CAP!!!\TDS-log.txt

I get the feeling this guy has anger issues.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

ConfusedUs posted:

A ticket came in. Gets escalated up to me. Guy's got some files failing to backup from a network share and the support techs can't figure out why.

So I open the log and the first thing I see is:

60468:61504:30/7/2014:00:01:26:466:: Failed to backup file \\?\UNC\OLD poo poo FROM PEOPLE THAT CANT KEEP THIS loving RANGER ORGANIZED! This is why poo poo gets hosed up ALL the time at CAP!!!\TDS-log.txt

I get the feeling this guy has anger issues.

*Path is too deep. Recommend user to take therapy. Closing ticket.*

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Come on, if you don't have at least one text file named "fuckthisshit.txt" somewhere, you have anger issues.

And you've gotta use a path like that, god knows if you name something \\share\=OLD DON'T USE, that baby's getting used.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 30, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Come on, if you don't have at least one text file named "fuckthisshit.txt" somewhere, you have anger issues.

I have this thread, does that count?

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

ConfusedUs posted:

If Excel is a requirement for the job, they should know it.

However, Excel is not a requirement for my current job, and my last real experience with anything advanced was 10 years ago.

I'm fine with simple tables and mathematical formulas but I frankly wouldn't know what a pivot table even is. Can anyone recommend a good refresher course?

The new position that may be my :yotj: will need some Excel work and I want to make sure I can answer questions about it if it comes up.

Wayne Winston's Excel books will be a great tool. Excel with a strong focus on analytics and reporting based on business data. Excel is my main tool to prep for sales conversations (I'm a sales rep, yay!) when working with raw data from the business.

Learn pivot tables, text functions, things like flash fill, and maybe arrays if you really want to gently caress with someone. Arrays are stupid and worthless and outdated until that one time you really have to gently caress with some data.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A squirrel came in. In my engine block. Between the drive belt and air conditioner, to be exact.

I walked out of my office today with 12 straight days of vacation time awaiting me. I'm going on a mutli-state road trip on Monday and it's my birthday tomorrow! Finished up a whole bunch of tickets and tidied up the office before finally shutting everything down and walking out the door.

That is until I got to my car, a whole one minute later. Turning the key got me this godawful thumping sound under the hood. I opened it up to find my drive belt completely detached, and a horrific burning smell emanating from the engine. It wasn't until after I had called my mom to come pick me up that I noticed the squirrel down in there too. A baby squirrel. A baby squirrel with its goddamn tail stuck between the drive belt and air conditioner.

The following are slightly :nms: due to dead baby squirrel.

I'm guessing it died the second I started the engine, its tail caught up in the drive belt caused it to become dislodged. The burning smell was from it's hair being burned off from the friction. D:

So now I get to spend tomorrow, the first day of my vacation AND my birthday (the big 3-0 oh my god), going back to my office (where I had to leave my car) hoping my coworker and I can get the drive belt replaced so I don't have to have the thing towed. Might not even go on a road trip at all now. :(

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 31, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Those belts are generally not too bad to get back on.
Step 1) actuate tensioner to remove tension on the belt.
Step 2) stick belt back on following the diagram on a sticker in the engine bay (most likely).

Worst case you might need to spend $20 at Harbor Freight for a couple tools. Google "<car name> [year] serpentine belt replacement" and someone probably has written/videoed some instructions explaining where the tensioner is and how actuate it. lovely that it happened but as far as car poo poo to go wrong it could be a hell of a lot worse.

e: vvv :drat:

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 31, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sirotan posted:

A squirrel came in.
Do you know how it got access in the first place? Did you check your firewall?

:v:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Im sorry but thats goddamn hilarious

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Knormal posted:

Niiiiice

:bravo:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

go3 posted:

Im sorry but thats goddamn hilarious

Don't be sorry, I found it absurdly funny at the time too. Still do. I can't even get mad at the poor little (dead) guy.

When I went to tell the admin assistant that I'd be leaving my car in the lot overnight, she told me that all week she had seen baby squirrels running in and out of car engine compartments outside her window. I guess they were just looking for cool places to explore. :unsmith:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
He died doing what he loved.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Knormal posted:

:v:

Was obviously an SQuirreL injection exploit.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

vOv posted:

Was obviously an SQuirreL injection exploit.

:vince:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Galler posted:

Those belts are generally not too bad to get back on.
Step 1) actuate tensioner to remove tension on the belt.
Step 2) stick belt back on following the diagram on a sticker in the engine bay (most likely).

Worst case you might need to spend $20 at Harbor Freight for a couple tools. Google "<car name> [year] serpentine belt replacement" and someone probably has written/videoed some instructions explaining where the tensioner is and how actuate it. lovely that it happened but as far as car poo poo to go wrong it could be a hell of a lot worse.

e: vvv :drat:

Yeah if you know what you are doing, it would take you 20 minutes tops. By the sound of things, you aren't too familiar with it, so I would suggest putting the money down for a tow to a shop and having them do it. Seriously, it would take longer to do it yourself, likely.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CaptainJuan posted:

He died doing what he loved.

Getting mangled in an internal combustion engine?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah if you know what you are doing, it would take you 20 minutes tops. By the sound of things, you aren't too familiar with it, so I would suggest putting the money down for a tow to a shop and having them do it. Seriously, it would take longer to do it yourself, likely.

I've never replaced a drive belt but I've got a car manual, all the tools I need, an extremely handy co-worker who is going to assist me, and a whole day of PTO to burn doing car maintenance directly in front of the windows of all the C-levels offices. What could go wrong?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

That sounds like squirrel alright. My brakes are shot again in under 10k miles on my GM vehicle, and the bottom bracket is dying on my bicycle. Just can't win.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

I've never replaced a drive belt but I've got a car manual, all the tools I need, an extremely handy co-worker who is going to assist me, and a whole day of PTO to burn doing car maintenance directly in front of the windows of all the C-levels offices. What could go wrong?

"hey I noticed you were quite handy with a car would you have 5 minutes this afternoon to change my tires"

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I once saw my CEO stuck in the Maccas drive through with a flat tire.

I could have given him a hand. I didn't.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

peak debt posted:

"hey I noticed you were quite handy with a car would you have 5 minutes this afternoon to change my tires"

"My garage door is broken, could you please stop by to fix it?"

The garage door opener will be unplugged

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Swink posted:

I once saw my CEO stuck in the Maccas drive through with a flat tire.

I could have given him a hand. I didn't.

CEOs don't count as they aren't people.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Volmarias posted:

"My garage door is broken, could you please stop by to fix it?"

The garage door opener will be unplugged

Have you tried opening and closing the door manually?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Johnny Aztec posted:

It sounds like the tow truck driver could just do it without having to move the car at all. Tow fees are usually insane.

(Unless you have AAA, AAA owns.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inspector_666 posted:

It sounds like the tow truck driver could just do it without having to move the car at all. Tow fees are usually insane.

(Unless you have AAA, AAA owns.)

I don't have AAA, but my boss does! Which is great because when I got back to my car today with my co-worker, we found that a second belt (on the water pump) was absolutely shredded, so I had no choice but to tow it. He gets free towing for any car he drives so he called AAA and they came out and got me a free tow!

Happy birthday to me!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Are you another goon in A2?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Sirotan posted:

I don't have AAA, but my boss does! Which is great because when I got back to my car today with my co-worker, we found that a second belt (on the water pump) was absolutely shredded, so I had no choice but to tow it. He gets free towing for any car he drives so he called AAA and they came out and got me a free tow!

Happy birthday to me!

:smith: That sucks. At least your boss sounds like he's an awesome person.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RadicalR posted:

:smith: That sucks. At least your boss sounds like he's an awesome person.

People with AAA who don't try to use it for all their friends/people they know are jerks.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector_666 posted:

People with AAA who don't try to use it for all their friends/people they know are jerks.

That depends. AAA gets you three service calls a year. If you drive a lovely car, using it a couple times for your friends could wind up loving you hard if you need it more than once yourself in that year.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My car is all fixed and safely back in it's home now. The total damage came to $152 including an oil change and air filter. On a last note of absurdity, they found my air intake completely full of corn. Corn!!

Also, this sign was inside the garage:

I'm sorry buddy, it's too late. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sirotan posted:

On a last note of absurdity, they found my air intake completely full of corn. Corn!!

Possibly explains the squirrel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sometimes I wonder if there's a forum where mechanics bitch about the clueless drivers who call them up.

"What do you mean my car was out of oil and the engine is shot? Oil comes with the gas, everybody knows that!"

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's a forum where mechanics bitch about the clueless drivers who call them up.

"What do you mean my car was out of oil and the engine is shot? Oil comes with the gas, everybody knows that!"

There's a subreddit called /r/justrolledintotheshop or something that's pretty much this.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sirotan posted:

My car is all fixed and safely back in it's home now. The total damage came to $152 including an oil change and air filter. On a last note of absurdity, they found my air intake completely full of corn. Corn!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KTB3t1t7dk

Alternately: Well, they make biofuel out of corn, right? :pseudo:

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Sirotan posted:

Don't be sorry, I found it absurdly funny at the time too. Still do. I can't even get mad at the poor little (dead) guy.

Good attitude, and it could have been much, much worse. My parents, before I was born, started up their Corvette to find out that 6 kittens were hiding out in the engine. My dad is handy enough that it didn't really cost anything but the time spent removing kitten from all over the enginebay :smith:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a thread in AI for it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568842

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bookmarked, thanks!

• Locked thread