Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

natetimm posted:

It goes out to the program manager, it's just when I tell it to force quit the program it doesn't do it.

Do you mean task manager? What happens when you try and end the Firefall process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013
Don't forget to check your emails, Red5 is giving out free RedBeans available until the 31st and you'll need to click it's big shiny link to get them. '92 Red Beans' is certainly a random number, unsure if that's a fixed number, random, or if something influences it.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

natetimm posted:

It goes out to the program manager, it's just when I tell it to force quit the program it doesn't do it.

Ah. Try going to the processes tab and deleting the task there instead of force quit through applications tab--the process still has an opportunity to say "nope, I'm still alive, I'll pop up an exit prompt, promise!" when you try to kill from the apps tab.

Also, try alt-~ in Firefall to bring down the console. If that works, "nuke" should (might) take care of things.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you mean task manager? What happens when you try and end the Firefall process?

Process never ends, mouse pointer gets lost everywhere except inside the task manager. I'm getting it to finally quit out by telling the computer to shut down from the CTRL ALT DEL screen and then cancelling after it force quits but for some reason just this program really hates being told to quit through the task manager.

EDIT: Yeah, the process manager doesn't work either.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

JonusRockweller posted:

Don't forget to check your emails, Red5 is giving out free RedBeans available until the 31st and you'll need to click it's big shiny link to get them. '92 Red Beans' is certainly a random number, unsure if that's a fixed number, random, or if something influences it.

It says it's based on how many RedBeans you've bought. I only got 12 free ones.

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

natetimm posted:

EDIT: Yeah, the process manager doesn't work either.

It happens when your protection programs block RPC Calls and ports (Firefall's security relies around RPC calls and Hooks). You may have to disable it temporarily or what not. It's a real bitch to get working with NOD32 every micropatch. Any sort of process manager will lock itself once you try to kill the FirefallClient.exe, I'm sure Nalin has had a few good laughs at how many times I have to forcefully restart my computer because of it, sometimes it bugs out so hard it prevents the actual restart process from initiating so I have to cold boot it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

JonusRockweller posted:

Has anyone who didn't buy anything from Red5 gotten any?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

JonusRockweller posted:

Thats what that email was? Awesome, 175 Red Beans!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lemon King posted:

Thats what that email was? Awesome, 175 Red Beans!

Holy poo poo, I only got 30.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
On my commander account I got 92. On my didn't-buy-poo poo account, I got nothing. No surprise since it said you had to have bought beans in the past for the free ones.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
Huh I forget exactly how many I got but it was around 130 or something. Kind of weird that it varies but awesome.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nalin posted:

Not really at this time. You will earn more money just selling your crafting materials and buying what you need.

Where is your 4GB texture cache directory located? I looked in C:\Users\-----\AppData\Local\red 5 studios\firefall\cache\vt and I don't have anything there. I'm trying to solve this cache issue.

It's probably not related to your case, but for a long time I ran the game with essentially the same install from very early CBT, not properly completely wiping it when I should have. I didn't even know the game was supposed to look better for years; I just assumed stuff like my ugly-rear end LGV and goofy Arsenal LMG texture was WIP stuff, since not every texture I had was low resolution. When I looked at some recent screenshots and realized how hosed my textures were, I went back and forth with support trying to resolve it before just wiping the game entirely and installing fresh, and... it worked. Textures started downloading again and holy poo poo the game is pretty and also I need more memory.

So yeah try a clean install I guess.

Also for anyone coming into the game that's interested in looking like a ~Space Dandy~, but doesn't want to go into bean/credit purchases blind, I'm starting up a webm gallery of the items I have since as far as I can tell there are no other up-to-date gallery threads: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/on-demand-cosmetic-previews-here.4502021/#post-67867021

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

992 Red beans: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/free-red-beans-uhm-see-post-65-on-page-4.4506321/page-4#post-67973021
How much has L33T been spending on Firefall. :stare:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

JonusRockweller posted:

It happens when your protection programs block RPC Calls and ports (Firefall's security relies around RPC calls and Hooks). You may have to disable it temporarily or what not. It's a real bitch to get working with NOD32 every micropatch. Any sort of process manager will lock itself once you try to kill the FirefallClient.exe, I'm sure Nalin has had a few good laughs at how many times I have to forcefully restart my computer because of it, sometimes it bugs out so hard it prevents the actual restart process from initiating so I have to cold boot it.

Thanks for the explanation I can't remember the last time I had a program this tenaciously unwilling to close. Maybe in my Win95 days?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

His balance is 12000, soooo... a lot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I bet he has a Commander pack for every account he multi-boxes with.

Also, Mavoc "liked" my post about texture streaming not working, so hopefully somebody is actually looking into it!

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

As much as I want to hate him for being number 1 everywhere there's a leader board, I should probably thank him for keeping the lights on over at R5. Now I feel bad for not having spent any money on the game in months.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

So it doesn't look like $30 will get me both the glider and the LGV. Red beans right now seem kinda pricey for what you get but maybe that's just a byproduct of it being launch and only the big ticket items are written in so far. I think I'll just play around for now, though I was kinda hoping to get Recluse+LGV or Glider from the get-go considering how much hoofing is involved in this game so far, but not for $50.

Fun so far, but I hope something more than tower defense style gameplay crops up in the near future. How much do the instances open up as you go on? Crash site was kinda ehhh and I normally love 5-mans in other games

I'm loving biotech so far, though 90% of the time I'm jump jetting up in the air and raining grenades which isn't exactly biotech-exclusive.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

As much as I want to hate him for being number 1 everywhere there's a leader board, I should probably thank him for keeping the lights on over at R5. Now I feel bad for not having spent any money on the game in months.
Just do what I do and count the interest you could've been earning off your pre-pre-pre-pre-order as a contribution. :P

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Is the army chat broken or do you guys have another way of communicating in this game?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Thanatosian posted:

Just do what I do and count the interest you could've been earning off your pre-pre-pre-pre-order as a contribution. :P

Yeah. I could, but it still wouldn't add up to very much. On a subscription based game I justify the low monthly cost as the price of doing business and figure it's way way cheaper than even a single night at the bar. With free to play games I use that same logic and throw what would have been wasted beer money at the game I'm playing. A single night of drinking with friends might run me about $50 so I don't mind throwing that at a F2P game if I've been enjoying it for a while.

If I don't spend it on booze or a game, my wife will spend it on shoes or curtains...

Epic High Five posted:

Fun so far, but I hope something more than tower defense style gameplay crops up in the near future. How much do the instances open up as you go on? Crash site was kinda ehhh and I normally love 5-mans in other games

Playing with other people is way more fun. This is why I've been encouraging everyone to jump into CTS mumble and join the groups.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RocketSurgeon posted:

Is the army chat broken or do you guys have another way of communicating in this game?
Chat is somewhat broken right now. There is also no way to communicate between GOONS and GOON2 with AllianceBot either. I would use the Mumble if you want to get together with people.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I only received 90 red beans, if 92 is the norm for founders, where did the extra two come from? Was there another offer at some point that I missed?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
You can buy red beans whenever you want. That's probably the source for any variation.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

I too have spent way to much on this game. drat.

I don't really consider them free, I consider them a partial refund for inducing me to spend real life money in exchange for multiple rechargeable glider pads that were later taken away without compensation. :colbert:

permanoob
Sep 28, 2004

Yeah it's a lot like that.
As a commander pack founder, I only received 64. So there's something else to it. It put my total at an even 280 though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yesterday when I logged out it said that it would allow me to try out every additional frame tomorrow(i.e. today) for 24 hours, but that's not the case. Anyone know what's up?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

Yesterday when I logged out it said that it would allow me to try out every additional frame tomorrow(i.e. today) for 24 hours, but that's not the case. Anyone know what's up?
Goto a battleframe Garage and click the battleframes button, from there you can unlock each frame trial.

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 31, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon King posted:

Goto a battleframe Garage and click the battleframes button, from there you can unlock each frame trial.

There's no option to unlock them, just an option to go to the store and buy them for funny money.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, got 35 for the Lt. pack and the only other beans I remember getting we're a couple bonuses or from the daily crates. So we got like .7 of a bean for every dollar paid to Red 5.

And I've just basically not logged in for the past couple days, as much fun as I have with the game its not worth getting frustrated with launch day issues. But yeah can't wait for them to turn the open world missions back up to full they are one of the best parts of the game and leveling a new frame currently you go from tons of crashed LGVs or Thumpers around Copa to nothing until level 12+ so the grind can get frustrating fairly quickly.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I got 193... and immediately threw them into gold tokens.

I did roll black cats paint, and a portable garage, though!

That said - is anyone else also getting those insane random lag spikes? Like normal play and then all of a sudden 800 ping rubberbanding city?

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
So, I may be missing it, but is there no customization options when you create a character? I saw the option to choose male or female and callsign, then I just entered the tutorial, but I see other characters that look different. Is it random? Or am I just dumb and missing it?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

HotBobaloo posted:

So, I may be missing it, but is there no customization options when you create a character? I saw the option to choose male or female and callsign, then I just entered the tutorial, but I see other characters that look different. Is it random? Or am I just dumb and missing it?

The "new you" terminals will customize yourself, with some options free and some costing beanz.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

HotBobaloo posted:

there is the New You where you can pick your under armor pattern, armor patterns and colors, and facial features\items.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

there is the New You where you can pick your under armor pattern, armor patterns and colors, and facial features\items.

Ok but I'm not crazy, I didn't miss it during character creation right?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

HotBobaloo posted:

Ok but I'm not crazy, I didn't miss it during character creation right?

I don't think it's available during character creation.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

xxEightxx posted:

I don't think it's available during character creation.

Thanks, found the station in the starting area.

Sid the Squid
Jul 9, 2005

Kinda saw it coming.
Applied for the overflow group as Dilophosaurus.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I only ever bought $5 for 40 Red Beans and the email gave me 10 back. Is it based on how many you've bought or how many you've spent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So based on earlier talk in the thread, are Bastions pretty much garbage when it comes to late game?

Mine's only level 11, so it's no big loss to start over with the Arsenal I've got sitting around, but I did rather enjoy the turret heavy style.

• Locked thread