Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

wormil posted:

I would say they are overstating a good bit. Most American Whiskey is aged in new oak barrels. Two years is not very long but I'm sure they want a return on their investment while waiting for their product to mature.

My impression is that most american single malt whiskey is aged in ex-whatever casks, stuff like bourbon is obviously in new oak barrels. Now, there aren't a ton of american single malts right now so I could be wrong. And they definitely said they plan to offer older expressions as their stock matures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wikipedia implies its illegal to label anything as bourbon that is not aged in new oak barrels.

quote:

The Federal Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5) state that bourbon made for U.S. consumption[15] must be:

Produced in the United States[16]
Made from a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn[16]
Aged in new, charred oak barrels[16]
distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume)[16]
Entered into the barrel for aging at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume)[16]
Bottled (like other whiskeys) at 80 proof or more (40% alcohol by volume)[17]

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

door Door door posted:

My impression is that most american single malt whiskey is aged in ex-whatever casks, stuff like bourbon is obviously in new oak barrels.

No, the regulations on American whiskey require that to be labeled as malt whiskey, it must be aged in new oak barrels. Maybe they were comparing their aging time against the aging times of single malt Scotch or something.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

lexan posted:

No, the regulations on American whiskey require that to be labeled as malt whiskey, it must be aged in new oak barrels. Maybe they were comparing their aging time against the aging times of single malt Scotch or something.

Hmm, you're right. They were comparing their aging practices to those of scotch, but I thought of american single malts that aren't aged in new oak. I guess lost spirits is technically violating those regulations since they age some of their single malts in ex-wine casks. http://www.lostspirits.net/#!leviathan-ii/cjg9 The more you know.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

door Door door posted:

Hmm, you're right. They were comparing their aging practices to those of scotch, but I thought of american single malts that aren't aged in new oak. I guess lost spirits is technically violating those regulations since they age some of their single malts in ex-wine casks. http://www.lostspirits.net/#!leviathan-ii/cjg9 The more you know.

That's interesting--they don't ever actually call it "malt whiskey." The large print on the label calls it "American Single Malt," and the fine print identifies it as "Whiskey distilled from malt mash," so they're in compliance with the labeling restrictions. That same formulation, "Whiskey distilled from x mash" is how unaged bourbons or ryes are labeled.

lexan fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 28, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Welp, I had a Manhattan at Grill 23 in Boston and they brought this giant cocktail, I requested Woodford Reserve cause I'd never had it before, and it was *really really good*. Like, I definitely have not had a better one yet.

Any other bourbons I should try in a Manhattan specifically? I mean, if I'm mixing at home I'll probably keep using my cheap Evan Williams, but when in a nice restaurant with a real bar...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

silvergoose posted:

Welp, I had a Manhattan at Grill 23 in Boston and they brought this giant cocktail, I requested Woodford Reserve cause I'd never had it before, and it was *really really good*. Like, I definitely have not had a better one yet.

Any other bourbons I should try in a Manhattan specifically? I mean, if I'm mixing at home I'll probably keep using my cheap Evan Williams, but when in a nice restaurant with a real bar...

A manhattan is most properly made with rye.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

A manhattan is most properly made with rye.

Hmm, okay. Only thing is to find a place that actually has any ryes ever, or I guess buy some rye. For some reason really hard to find.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Shouldn't be that hard to find rye in Boston.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

cryme posted:

Shouldn't be that hard to find rye in Boston.

Yeah but I don't go out drinking much, so I don't find the right places I guess. There's a liquor store near me that has a bit of a selection, and I can get a bottle sometime, once I am more confident in my mixin.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

silvergoose posted:

Hmm, okay. Only thing is to find a place that actually has any ryes ever, or I guess buy some rye. For some reason really hard to find.

Wild Turkey rye is pretty widely available and very, very good. Or Jim Beam rye if you absolutely have to.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

As with the bourbon, make sure to get the Wild Turkey 101 rye

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

What's a good whiskey to get in Ontario for around 50? I'm leaning towards Glenfiddich right now.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jewcoon posted:

What's a good whiskey to get in Ontario for around 50? I'm leaning towards Glenfiddich right now.

You can never go wrong with Glenfiddich. It is not the absolute best or most complex, but it is still a solid choice for anyone who wants a real Scotch. I always keep a bottle around for friends that want to drink with me but have been put off of peat smokey or iodine invoking Scotches in the past. Everybody I know who drinks Scotch whisky likes it :-).

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but I don't go out drinking much, so I don't find the right places I guess. There's a liquor store near me that has a bit of a selection, and I can get a bottle sometime, once I am more confident in my mixin.

Rittenhouse Bonded is the way to go by all accounts.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

door Door door posted:

Oh hey Leviathan. I had one of their "American Single Malt" peated whiskys and it had that characteristic white whisky/corn/unaged whisky flavor. It wasn't the easiest pour to finish.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

silvergoose posted:

I have had great success with Old Overholt.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

ChickenArise posted:

Oh hey Leviathan. I had one of their "American Single Malt" peated whiskys and it had that characteristic white whisky/corn/unaged whisky flavor. It wasn't the easiest pour to finish.

The one I had didn't have any of that taste, was very rich and almost chocolatey. It doesn't surprise me that they're inconsistent though, they're literally made by one guy in his backyard. Which also makes me wonder how he got a distilling license.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I have had great success with Old Overholt.

I'd go Old Overholt above the Jim Beam Rye at least. Rittenhouse is good stuff though.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Rittenhouse 100 is the poo poo. Makes a delicious Old Pal.

How's FEW Rye? I've read varied reviews -- I think I'm being seduced by the presentation.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

good jovi posted:

As with the bourbon, make sure to get the Wild Turkey 101 rye

This is true, but the 101 is kind of hard to lay hands on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Whiskey scandal!

quote:

Lawrenceburg, Indiana (not to be confused with bourbon-locale Lawrenceburg, Kentucky) is home to a massive brick complex that cranks out mega-industrial quantities of beverage-grade alcohol. The factory, once a Seagram distillery, has changed hands over the decades and was most recently acquired by food-ingredient corporation MGP. It is now a one-stop shop for marketers who want to bottle their own brands of spirits without having to distill the product themselves. MGP sells them bulk vodka and gin, as well as a large selection of whiskies, including bourbons of varying recipes, wheat whiskey, corn whiskey, and rye. (They also make “food grade industrial alcohol” used in everything from solvents and antiseptics to fungicides.) Their products are well-made, but hardly what one thinks of as artisanal. And yet, much of the whiskey now being sold as the hand-crafted product of micro-distilleries actually comes from this one Indiana factory.

It mentions the obvious - 10 year old whiskeys from 5 year old companies. But what dismayed me was the list of established ryes that come from the same big factory including Bulleit, Templeton, and Dickel. Guess I'll be sticking to Rittenhouse.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I was about to post that. Going to have to look twice the next time I buy some "independent" or whatever rye when I can just get Bulleit.

I wasn't planning on buying Whistlepig anytime soon since it's $70 in PA. er. oh, the article says it comes from a Canadian "factory distillery" rather than this one in Indiana. I can't remember if the NPR piece made that distinction.

e: on a somewhat related note, JD's 2 year rye is out. I think I'll pass. :v:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Whiskey scandal!

It mentions the obvious - 10 year old whiskeys from 5 year old companies. But what dismayed me was the list of established ryes that come from the same big factory including Bulleit, Templeton, and Dickel. Guess I'll be sticking to Rittenhouse.

This should come as no surprise to anybody who follows or drinks whiskey though. MGP (formerly LDI) have been the prime source for rye whiskey for a long time. It's not like they make bad juice. Their poo poo wins awards. High West basically sources all of their rye from MGP. It really comes down to the barrel selection and blending at this point.

I hate to break it to you, but Rittenhouse comes from a big factory just the same. It just so happens to be owned and run by Heaven Hill instead of mystery distillers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tigren posted:

This should come as no surprise to anybody who follows or drinks whiskey though. MGP (formerly LDI) have been the prime source for rye whiskey for a long time. It's not like they make bad juice. Their poo poo wins awards. High West basically sources all of their rye from MGP. It really comes down to the barrel selection and blending at this point.

I hate to break it to you, but Rittenhouse comes from a big factory just the same. It just so happens to be owned and run by Heaven Hill instead of mystery distillers.

I know that, it's just that I know I prefer Rittenhouse to Bulleit so with this knowledge I won't bother with Dickel or Templeton, which I had been planning to pick up this weekend.

Also I prefer my whiskey to come from Kentucky.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I guess if no one else is going to repost this, I will

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I've seen that before, but does that mean that Old Overholt is just slightly older Jim Beam or is there some other difference?

(And Knob Creek older still I guess.)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Whistlepig rye comes from Canada, from the distillery that makes Alberta premium.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

spoon0042 posted:

I've seen that before, but does that mean that Old Overholt is just slightly older Jim Beam or is there some other difference?

I believe that the little forking branches indicate different blends from the same distillery, so that + a little older. IMO the worst part about the distillery consolidation is similar to whats going on with Scotch. As the big players buy more and more, it limits the options for the smaller blenders and has a negative effect on off-the-shelf selection diversity.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

I liked this article and was glad to see the whole thing getting some attention. Not so much the issue of rebottling itself, but the bits about places ignoring TTB regulations and not revealing the distiller. I wish the whisky situation was a bit more like how it works with independent scotch bottlers. They have their own branding and all, but it still says right on the front of the bottle what distillery the juice is from. That's a lot better than some 6pt font on the back mentioning Indiana.

This would also be a lot easier if LDI whisky wasn't actually good. I want to buy into the whole "craft" thing and buy whisky from local bearded men, but most of it is just so bad. I don't care how small your barrels are, 4 months isn't going to cut it. (That means you, Koval) So I can get a great whisky that lies to me, or some lovely stuff that I feel good about. It's tough out there.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

good jovi posted:

I liked this article and was glad to see the whole thing getting some attention. Not so much the issue of rebottling itself, but the bits about places ignoring TTB regulations and not revealing the distiller. I wish the whisky situation was a bit more like how it works with independent scotch bottlers. They have their own branding and all, but it still says right on the front of the bottle what distillery the juice is from. That's a lot better than some 6pt font on the back mentioning Indiana.

This would also be a lot easier if LDI whisky wasn't actually good. I want to buy into the whole "craft" thing and buy whisky from local bearded men, but most of it is just so bad. I don't care how small your barrels are, 4 months isn't going to cut it. (That means you, Koval) So I can get a great whisky that lies to me, or some lovely stuff that I feel good about. It's tough out there.

McCarthy's is both good and hand-crafted. But nigh-impossible to find.

Squid Fingers
Aug 26, 2005

11/10/75 Never Forget

spoon0042 posted:

I have a feeling that Overholt, Beam, and Knob ryes are different mash bills, but of course they'll never tell you.

If any of you are ever in chicago, go to this little punk bar called delilahs in lincoln park. They have more bourbon than any place I've ever seen, and know more than ANYBODY I have ever talked to.

Fred Noe drinks there. It's legit.

Squid Fingers
Aug 26, 2005

11/10/75 Never Forget

good jovi posted:

One other thing about these whiskies is that they'll distill, and age in Indiana, then ship it to be bottled in KY so they can slap on the front 'BOTTLED IN WHATEVER DISTILLERY, KY"

edit: I agree that LDI does make good whisky.

edit 2: Koval is gross. We started carrying it where I work, and i took a whiff of the millet whiskey and it smells like nail polish remover. Awful poo poo.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Squid Fingers posted:

edit 2: Koval is gross. We started carrying it where I work, and i took a whiff of the millet whiskey and it smells like nail polish remover. Awful poo poo.

Thanks for the tip. I was curious to try the millet just as a novelty and you probably saved me $45. I guess on the off chance I see it at a bar I might try a glass but I don't think I'll buy a bottle if it's that bad.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm looking for suggestions on a Rye to bring to a sharing event. I'm thinking something that adheres pretty closely to the standard hallmarks of the style, so we can better compare/contrast it to bourbons and scotches. Approximate budget is $60-$100 in Michigan. Any suggestions?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Squid Fingers posted:

If any of you are ever in chicago, go to this little punk bar called delilahs in lincoln park. They have more bourbon than any place I've ever seen, and know more than ANYBODY I have ever talked to.

Fred Noe drinks there. It's legit.

For sure, Delilah's is the poo poo. Be sure to try some of their in-house-only stuff. They have a 15-year rye that you can only get there, and is unbelievable. We went in there after my work's holiday party this year and got a shot of it (on my boss's tab of course). Naturally everyone else had to try it as well. The boss wasn't too pleased to see his bill after that.

And yeah, nail polish remover is exactly what I got from Koval's Four Grain Whisky. A real shame.

Squid Fingers
Aug 26, 2005

11/10/75 Never Forget

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm looking for suggestions on a Rye to bring to a sharing event. I'm thinking something that adheres pretty closely to the standard hallmarks of the style, so we can better compare/contrast it to bourbons and scotches. Approximate budget is $60-$100 in Michigan. Any suggestions?

I'd be on the look out for any of the older willett ryes.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Squid Fingers posted:

I have a feeling that Overholt, Beam, and Knob ryes are different mash bills, but of course they'll never tell you.

Overholt is a rye mash bill meaning 51% or more rye grain. Beam and Knob Creek are the same mash bill (51% or more corn) just barreled at different proofs and aged different periods. Knob Creek is barreled at a higher proof and aged longer (9+ years), Beam at a lesser proof and fewer years (4+ since it's non-age stated).

Squid Fingers
Aug 26, 2005

11/10/75 Never Forget

Radio Nowhere posted:

Overholt is a rye mash bill meaning 51% or more rye grain. Beam and Knob Creek are the same mash bill (51% or more corn) just barreled at different proofs and aged different periods. Knob Creek is barreled at a higher proof and aged longer (9+ years), Beam at a lesser proof and fewer years (4+ since it's non-age stated).

speaking specifically of the knob creek and jim beam RYES.

thanks for clarifying though....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Squid Fingers posted:

speaking specifically of the knob creek and jim beam RYES.

thanks for clarifying though....

I've never had Knob Creek rye but Beam and Old Overholt taste radically different. Old Overholt is actually good.