Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 383 days!
:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

http://kickfailure.com/

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
hahaha the potato salad post, how could he even stand to look for that many

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

http://www.gofundme.com/c6oagc

My brother, Nick (aka Ulillillia) is an avid, amateur videographer and is looking to upgrade his equipment to a DSLR-type camera to get better images and video. He would especially love to do night shoots where he can capture the stars in great detail as well as improve his annual fireworks show.

I have no means of getting this camera for him, and honestly would like to repay some of my debts to him. He was there to support me when I was helpless and desperate. If I can help to get him this camera, I would feel less guilty about all the things I've put him through.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I've been wanting a DSLR camera for quite a while now. There are a few things I'm after in regards to a DSLR camera as far as features go. Priority is ranked from 1 being an absolute must to 5 being totally unimportant but a bonus.

20x optical zoom or higher. (Importance: 1 for 20x, 2 for 24x, 3 for 27x, 4 for 30x, 5 for beyond 30x) Extreme closeups are one of my favorite things to do.

20 megapixel or higher stills. (Importance: 1 for 20, 2 for 25, 3 for 32, 4 for 40, 5 for beyond 40) A high optical zoom combined with a high megapixel potential allows for extreme closeups, well beyond what my camcorder can do. With my tripod, I can ensure extremely sharp stills. Just imagine the amount of detail I can get in a photo from any kind of distance.

1080p video recording. (Importance: 2) Interlaced is what my camcorder has and it degrades quality. Progressive is pure. I have no need for 3D recording nor 4K support (4K would be a big bonus but).

4K video recording. (Importance: 5) 4K video (that's 3840x2160) would be a big bonus and would enhance many of my videos.

30 Mbps video recording quality. (Importance: 1 for 30 Mbps, 2 for 35 Mbps, 3 for 40 Mbps, 4 for 50 Mbps, 5 for above 50 Mbps) My camcorder uses 23 Mbps but it's not sufficient enough for certain things as I can clearly see compression artifacts. A higher bit rate can allow me to improve my multiframe denoising that I do. (If 4K is available, then 4 times the bit rate would be needed to compensate).

Decent night sensitivity. (Importance: 1 for ISO 4800, 2 for ISO 6400, 3 for ISO 9600, 4 for ISO 12,800, 5 for beyond 12,800 (ISO equivalents, best with low noise)) Time and time again, my camcorder fails to pick up things I would like to have picked up. Although my camcorder can pick up the stars, it's only to magnitude +3 and it takes extreme measures to get that. First, I have to blend 60 or more frames together using 32-bit floating point precision. Next, I need to multiply these color values by a large amount, about 8. Then, I need to subtract something from about 150 to 180 from these to get rid of the constant bright gray that comes after it. From there, I multiply this by about 5.75 to maximize contrast. Even then, the stars are kind of blurred despite hardly moving at all in the video frame. I've missed out on meteor showers and even the northern lights because of this poor sensitivity. Even in my room with 2 lights that are each 1700 lumens, I've maxed the exposure and it's very grainy.

Touchscreen-free adjusting of exposure and focus. (Importance: 1) I'm frequently finding myself having to tap my way through a lot of menus just to get exposure and focus set and it's very irritating. This is the number one biggest thing I dislike about my camcorder. For things like white balance or other rarely used things, or the usual playback and deletion stuff, touchscreen is fine for that. I still prefer to use buttons instead.

Flexible customizability. (Importance: 2) The more I can customize for things and to a finer degree of precision, the better.

Uncompressed photo output. (Importance: 2) What better way to fine tune the quality of each photo than have photos saved as uncompressed.

Successive photo capturing. (Importance: 4) Enhancing the above case would be the option to have the camera repeatedly and automatically take several photos in short succession. This would mainly be for denoising an image.

150+ fps slow motion support. (Importance: 1 and 2 for 30 fps, 3 for 60 fps, 4 for 150 fps, 5 for 500 fps or higher) Viewing a 30 fps recording step by step is already pretty interesting as you can discover a few things you wouldn't have noticed before. Now imagine if that was 300 fps. What do you suppose those smoke balls or firecrackers are like at that high frame rate?

Time lapse support. (Importance: 3) Successive photos one after another after a preset interval would be a nice way to really enhance some of the things I do.

3 hours of rechargeable battery during video recording. (Importance: 1 for 3 hours, 2 for 3 3/4 hours, 3 for 4 1/2 hours, 4 for 6 hours, 5 for beyond 6 hours) There are (rare) times where I can be recording nonstop for well over an hour and I've often run out of battery which has kept me from recording certain shots that I'd have liked to get.

Interchangable lens. (Importance: 3) A lens that can cut out glare (at the cost of reduced light input) and a lens that can bring about true color combined with a regular lens would be nice to be able to do.

Other details like the physical size, the weight, brand, etc. are completely unimportant to me. Although, if I were to cover the costs of this myself (which would take several months), the cap would be $400 with a very cheap poor quality used lens being used at first until I can save up more for a higher quality lens.

Edit: I'm finding that a lot of cameras abruptly stop recording at about 20 to 30 minutes in. This is a big no-no for me as there are plenty of instances where I exceed even 40 minutes or an hour. Case in point: that airplane flight video from July of 2011.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

http://www.gofundme.com/c6oagc

My brother, Nick (aka Ulillillia) is an avid, amateur videographer and is looking to upgrade his equipment to a DSLR-type camera to get better images and video. He would especially love to do night shoots where he can capture the stars in great detail as well as improve his annual fireworks show.

I have no means of getting this camera for him, and honestly would like to repay some of my debts to him. He was there to support me when I was helpless and desperate. If I can help to get him this camera, I would feel less guilty about all the things I've put him through.

that's gonna get funded

also his sis is either a) him or b) eerily similar because:

"You guys are awesome! We're already almost 21% of the way to reaching the goal."

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

syscall girl posted:

also his sis is either a) him or b) eerily similar because:

"You guys are awesome! We're already almost 21% of the way to reaching the goal."

or someone who knows them and impersonating

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

don't look up Uli's sister. she's the reason the really bad Uli thread got gassed.

they live together, and she supports him by working at Jiffy Lube and trying to be a cam girl. :smith: she's also mentally broken but not in an interesting way like Uli.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

axolotl farmer posted:

don't look up Uli's sister. she's the reason the really bad Uli thread got gassed.

they live together, and she supports him by working at Jiffy Lube and trying to be a cam girl. :smith: she's also mentally broken but not in an interesting way like Uli.

aww man

loving ruined the uli saga here

or did you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-YVqV0v4Q

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

could be worse, i suppose

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
is the answer to, "why does idiot doobie not have an idiot phone?" infuriating or amusing?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Vicas posted:

hahaha the potato salad post, how could he even stand to look for that many
http://kickstarter.com/projects/724997340/banana-bread-0

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 28, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

owns

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/965986856/pc-gaming-controller?ref=card

quote:

PC Gaming Controller with touch screen and general purpose track-ball (mouse) functionality.

Production stages the project will go through:

Electronic Design:

1) Initial design review.

2) Schematics design.

3) Firmware programming.

4) Development board based prototyping to check the validity of the design.

5) Form factor based PCB layout design.

6) Final PCB board production from the factory.

Casing Design:

1) CAD design of the casing based on the form factor based PCB development.

2) 3D printer based case printing.

3) Assembly of the electronics in the casing.

The total process should take about 4 months.

wow very ambitious timeline there. this guy must be a real pro

lol and all for 5000 CAD

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lol and all for 5000 CAD

"b-b-but kickstarter requires real prototypes guys"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

"b-b-but kickstarter requires real prototypes guys"

yeah ok i admit it i was wrong

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
kickstarter does require real prototypes

however since they've stopped manually approving kickstarters and just let anyone put up anything, how the gently caress they're going to enforce that is beyond me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus4994 posted:

kickstarter does require real prototypes

however since they've stopped manually approving kickstarters and just let anyone put up anything, how the gently caress they're going to enforce that is beyond me
he's probably infringing on microsoft/nintendo patents too, but i'm sure they won't care until it looks like he's going to actually make a product

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
also i guarantee this guy didn't call himself "a courier" until fallout new vegas came out

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

lol and all for 5000 CAD

i don't think you can count courier as a "trade"

Dec 26, 2012

Proteus4994 posted:

also i guarantee this guy didn't call himself "a courier" until fallout new vegas came out

most definitely

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

25 years this month

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bobbilljim posted:

i don't think you can count courier as a "trade"

at best hes probably an apprentice courier, i doubt hes a journeyman courier

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

initial design review as the first step before doing any design work
wants to write the firmware before having prototype hardware ready
thinks "form factor based PCB layout" makes him sound like he knows what he's doing

don't see how you can doubt him why are you such a hater

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

imagine an apple tablet!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modbook/modbook-pro-x-154-retina-quad-core-mac-os-x-tablet

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

it's

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

imagine sand being rubbed in my eyes, forever

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

that stylus looks like a gear shift
:ninja:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

imagine an apple tablet!

my stylus grows turgid

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
that abortion needs a southern lady to remark "well isn't it just precious" then carry the thing out and put it in the trash can

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

that abortion needs a southern lady to remark "well isn't it just precious" then carry the thing out and put it in the trash can

Stebe bless

also how the gently caress is awful.app capitalizing Stebe?

just gonna leave it that way i guess

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

afaik modbooks actually have a good reputation

but that concept render. jfc

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

Werthog 95 posted:

afaik modbooks actually have a good reputation

but that concept render. jfc

Yeah, I know someone who had one, and in all honesty, it wasn't a bad device by any means.

I mean I wouldn't pay that much for it, but if you got cash flowing out your rear end in a top hat, do what you will with it.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

shut. up. and take my money!!! :D

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

this is the ugliest thing i have ever seen, and i look at my lovely awful face in the mirror every day

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

syscall girl posted:

also how the gently caress is awful.app capitalizing Stebe?

:)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this gave me a vast amount of pleasure kevin

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

that stylus looks like a gear shift
:ninja: