Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cloks posted:

I have that 10cc album and it really didn't stick with me. I like their first and The Original Soundtrack a lot though- Une Nuit A Paris is a really good song and apparently a direct influence on Queen's stuff and Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom.

Yeah, Original Soundtrack is on my to-buy list. The other 10cc albums I have are their self-titled LP and Sheet Music... and Deceptive Bends is definitely at the bottom of those three (as an aside I've totally fallen in love with Sheet Music). DB is not bad but... I dunno, I get some major wannabe-Beatles vibes. The last song even begins with it almost being Dear Prudence and I think it says something that I kind of always (incorrectly) associated The Things We Do For Love as being some 1970s Paul McCartney deal. I'm probably not going to venture with any of their later stuff, as Deceptive Bends is sorely lacking in Godley and Creme.

Edit:

CrapFish posted:

Went to the record store again today. Most of my finds came from the dollar bin. The Brubeck and Switched on Bach were both a dollar. I was excited.

Chemical Brothers - Leaving Home
Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Hall & Oates - Greatest Hits
Acid - Can You Jack? Chicago Acid and Experimental House 1985-95
Keith Jarrett - Mysteries
The Ventures - Golden Years
Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach
OFF! - Wasted Years
Miles Davis - Quiet Nights

Wanna chime in and also say that's a pretty nice haul. I'm slowly building my own Miles Davis collection and Switched on Bach is one of those "if I spot it in the dollar bin I'm grabbing" sort of novelty records.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

izationalizer posted:

Whoa, somehow didn't see this. Nice score! That Bill Evans record is loving ace. It's one of my go-to records whenever I have company over. Which pressing is it? I have three pressings of it. OG mono on Riverside, a stereo reish on Riverside, and the OJC reish. Haven't gotten around to A/B/C'ing them yet, though.

It's the OJC reissue.

Went to a different store and found some good stuff for cheap

Wendy Carlos' Clockwork Orange
Miami Vice vol 2
Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Huey Lewis and the News - Sports
Thompson Twins - Into the Gap
Van Halen - 1984

So today I was able to score two Wendy Carlos albums. That's pretty sweet.

CrapFish fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 26, 2014

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

izationalizer posted:

All right, if you want this, you'd better snag it quickly before I snag it myself (I want it, but I've already bought too many records lately... I'm still strongly considering it, though...). Anyway: Here's the MFSL Bob Dylan "Blonde on Blonde" 3xLP box set. 45rpm. $69.99 or best offer, with free shipping within the US. Not bad. Not bad at all....

EDIT: Looks like you can get it for about the same via Discogs; I had just checked the eBay completed listings, which made it seem like much more of a steal (excluding that copy from May). In any case, this is still about as cheap as it gets. I'm still mulling it over.....

E2: Has anyone heard the MFSL of this? I have an EX/EX OG mono, and I think it sounds great, but MFSL nails it sometimes (although I personally think they're hit-or-miss).

I bought this on release; it sounds amazing. This time last year I didn't like Bob Dylan; after going. "gently caress IT" on a bunch of MSFL releases of his*, I recanted fully

* most notably the Blood On The Tracks reissue; jesus CHRIST is there some depth to that album. But the Blonde On Blonde set really does sound amazing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

trdn89 posted:

I bought this on release; it sounds amazing. This time last year I didn't like Bob Dylan; after going. "gently caress IT" on a bunch of MSFL releases of his*, I recanted fully

* most notably the Blood On The Tracks reissue; jesus CHRIST is there some depth to that album. But the Blonde On Blonde set really does sound amazing.

gently caress, I am totally putting on Blood on the Tracks after this episode of Archer is over.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
It always takes me an hour to listen to Tangled Up In Blue.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CrapFish posted:

Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters

Oh drat, good grab. I've been looking all over for a copy of that. loving incredible album.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
OK, so I'm kind of in the dark regarding some of these bands, but this lot of recent indie rock stuff seems like might be a decent score. $30 for two LPs, a 10", and five 7"s. Bands include The Avett Brothers, The Shins, Coldplay, and a bunch of others that I've never heard of. That Lumineers (whoever they are) 10" alone sold for $30 as a BIN on July 8.

I almost redeemed myself on that Public Image Ltd. "Second Edition" LP that the seller removed, because last night, I saw a copy of it and the "First Issue" LP for $10. But sadly, it sold before I could even post it here....

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

izationalizer posted:

I almost redeemed myself on that Public Image Ltd. "Second Edition" LP that the seller removed, because last night, I saw a copy of it and the "First Issue" LP for $10. But sadly, it sold before I could even post it here....

That initial seller ended up relisting Second Edition as an auction and I snagged it for like ten bucks so good lookin' out.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
OK, so it doesn't have the semi-nude cover, but this copy of Roxy Music's "Country Life" is only $2 or best offer! SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 28, 2014

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.amazon.com/Will-Hair-Whe...27re+gone+vinyl

Unicorns are re-issuing Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

izationalizer posted:

OK, so it doesn't have the semi-nude cover, but this copy of Roxy Music's "Country Life" is only $2 or best offer!

That's an awesome album to get for two dollars.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

That's an awesome album to get for two dollars.

Agreed! And even better, the same seller just listed "For Your Pleasure," also for $2 obo! The cover looks beat, but the vinyl is supposedly VG+. I'd jump on both of those if I didn't already have 'em. SOLD!

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I'd jump on them if they shipped to Canada. :sigh:

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Ernie. posted:

I'd jump on them if they shipped to Canada. :sigh:

Yeah, that sucks. Sorry all my posts are just US-based; it's just what I search! Also, the "Country Life" just sold, but the "For Your Pleasure" is still there.... SOLD!

Abu Dave posted:

This is great news! I have an OG on pink vinyl, but I may pick this up if the remastering is actually a good remastering.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 29, 2014

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Abu Dave posted:

Pre-ordered. It was one of the most listened to albums of my teen years.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello, soundtrack thread

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Holy hot garbage that's terrible. Soon there'll be 180g versions of workplace safety video soundtracks.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Snowy posted:

Holy hot garbage that's terrible. Soon there'll be 180g versions of workplace safety video soundtracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JsH5QKUUg

i dunno, i actually like troma films :shobon:

that said, the soundtrack is definitely not why, but thanks vinyl soundtrack enthusiasts

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ernie. posted:

i dunno, i actually like troma films :shobon:

that said, the soundtrack is definitely not why, but thanks vinyl soundtrack enthusiasts

Sure, Troma has it's place. I saw Nuke em High and Surf Nazis in the theater when they came out and loved them, but the music was generic junk. I'd sooner buy a commemorative plate.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Since I'm bitching about garbage, here's some literal trash I picked up off the sidewalk this morning.

Nitzer Ebb -Hearts and Minds, a Brazilian press of a Beatles comp, and Xymox "Blind Hearts" which looks like another industrial dance type thing.

The Beatles record has a type of cover I've never seen before. What looks like a normal plastic slipcase wraps around to the inside of the sleeve. The paper outer sleeve is cut open at the top and bottom to slide into it, then sealed at the spine on the outside, if that makes any sense.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 31, 2014

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I get the theme song from Class of Nuke 'Em High II: Subhumanoid Meltdown stuck in my head at least once a week, no joke. I preordered that motherfucker when I saw the song was a bonus track.

I am dumb.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Snowy posted:

Sure, Troma has it's place. I saw Nuke em High and Surf Nazis in the theater when they came out and loved them, but the music was generic junk. I'd sooner buy a commemorative plate.

Counter-point.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My neighbor did that poster artwork for Surf Nazis so I lucked out and got an autographed print. I'd still rather have the industrial safety video soundtrack.

I'm just rambling. Enjoy your records.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

For anyone who missed out on the last copy of "Ziggy Stardust" I posted, here's another one. $9.99 w/ free shipping within the US! SOLD!

Also, that seller (franknbill916) is one to keep an eye on. I've bought several records from them and they were all under $10 w/ free shipping, e.g., an OG Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" LP and a Moby Grape S/T LP with the uncensored "middle finger cover."

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 31, 2014

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Well. I've received a veritable butt-load of records in the mail lately. Here they are:

- Spiritualized - "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" 2xLP (OG on Dedicated)
- Air - "Moon Safari" LP (OG European pressing with "THE EXCHANGE NILZ" in the deadwax; this is supposedly the best-sounding version. On some heavy-rear end vinyl, too; feels close to 200 grams)
- David Bowie - "Heroes" LP (OG US)
- Dolly Mixture - "Demonstration Tapes" 2xLP (OG on Dead Good Dolly Platters. This has been on my want list for a decade, but I could never find a copy I could afford... until now. Thanks dude from GEMM!)
- Mayo Thompson - "Corky's Debt to His Father" LP + bonus 7" (Drag City reish)
- Annie - "Anniemal" 2xLP (OG on 679)
- The Quick - "Mondo Deco" LP (OG on Mercury)
- Marine Girls - "Beach Party" LP (1987 reish on Cherry Red).
- Goblin "Suspiria" OST LP (Italian reish on AMS/Cinevox)
- Dr. John - "The Night Ripper* - Gris Gris" LP (1970s reish on Atco)
- Comus - "First Utterance" LP (Rise Above Relics reish)

I have even more records en route. Will post once they all arrive.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

izationalizer posted:

Well. I've received a veritable butt-load of records in the mail lately. Here they are:

- Dolly Mixture - "Demonstration Tapes" 2xLP (OG on Dead Good Dolly Platters. This has been on my want list for a decade, but I could never find a copy I could afford... until now. Thanks dude from GEMM!)
- Marine Girls - "Beach Party" LP (1987 reish on Cherry Red).

Nice score! Very jealous of these.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

if you can get it, the dolly mixture anthology 'everything and more' is definitely worth listening, with a whole 7 unreleased songs on it

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Davincie posted:

if you can get it, the dolly mixture anthology 'everything and more' is definitely worth listening, with a whole 7 unreleased songs on it

Seconded. I have it digitally (which I guess is the only way to have it), so it gets regular play on the iPod in the car. I still want all that stuff on OG wax someday, though; that "Demo Tapes" is the only Dolly Mixture I have on vinyl. Also, relatedly: Why in the hell was the Germs of Youth repress of the "Demo Tapes" limited to a mere 300 copies? So dumb for the label financially (it seems to me that they could easily have moved 1000 copies), and so cruel toward the fans (the Discogs median selling price is like $135, which is almost as an expensive as the OG's average price). Dumb, dumb, dumb. Almost as dumb--or maybe just as dumb--as that limited-to-100-copies Solid Space LP reish, which I want sooo badly, but will likely never own. It sucks man. I mean, that poo poo is soooo good. It was supposed to get an official reish on Dark Entries, but nothing ever came of it. My understanding, IIRC, is that the band just doesn't want it to be reissued. Bastards. Talented bastards, but bastards nonetheless.

In other news, Jawbreaker's "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" is gonna get reissued on Oct. 14. I already have it, but I might pick it up if the sound quality happens to be improved. It's about drat time for that thing to get reish'd, too; I always thought it was weird that Blackball reissued all of their albums except for that one, although there might have been some logical reason for that, I guess.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 2, 2014

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Nothing too special, but I found a nice copy of the Goldfinger ST at a church book sale. They didn't really have much in the way of good records, but I happened to find this and I was more than happy to spend $1 on it. The jacket's in pretty good shape and the vinyl is almost perfect. I don't think it was listened to very often. Gave it a spin tonight, and it sounded great.

Also, give me this

izationalizer posted:

- Goblin "Suspiria" OST LP (Italian reish on AMS/Cinevox)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Another batch of records came in the mail that once belonged to my late mother-in-law. I'll take pictures and list them later, but my initial :woop: at finding a copy of Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" in the pile turned to :sigh: when I discovered the first record was missing.

So umm, if anyone has a spare side 1/2 of Bitches Brew lying around, let me know. Original pressing, circa 1970.

I thought I scored the missing record with someone on discogs selling a copy of "only sides 1 and 2" for real cheap. I messaged him and asked to verify the tracks on the record, which he did.

A couple of weeks later it arrives and... it's the wrong record. :negative:

Should've asked for a photo. The seller just looked at the record and saw side 1 and 2 and assumed it was the first disc (both records are labeled 1 and 2 rather than one being 3 and 4).

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

izationalizer posted:

- Spiritualized - "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" 2xLP (OG on Dedicated)

loving hell I reeeeeeally need to find a copy of that

fromsinkingsands
Oct 10, 2005

Gotta find Jason.
Just posted my record collection up. Mostly electronic but a few post rock mixed in:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655202

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Bliggers- posted:

loving hell I reeeeeeally need to find a copy of that

If it makes you feel any better, it doesn't sound *all that* great on wax. I patiently sought out an OG, because I figured that the Plain reish (like most Plain reissues) would be mediocre, and also because the Dedicated pressing of "Lazer Guided Melodies" is quite nice-sounding. However, I'm a tad disappointed. I mean, it doesn't sound bad, really; it's just kinda flat. The vinyl is a bit noisy, too, despite looking NM+ visually.

I guess I really shouldn't have been surprised at this, because it's almost certainly digitally sourced to begin with. But in any case, we're still patiently waiting for the definitive vinyl reissue of it....

EDIT: Forgot to mention: On the plus side, the packaging is pretty cool! Probably not as cool as that 6xCD "prescription pill box" version (which is one of the few CDs that I'd really, really like to own), but cool nonetheless. I love the inserts.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Plain is the loving worst. I only own their Mr. Bungle releases, but they are atrocious.

Thankfully they are all getting reissues from Music On Vinyl.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Plain is the loving worst. I only own their Mr. Bungle releases, but they are atrocious.

Is MoV reissuing the S/T and "Disco Volante" as double LPs? I hope so, because they really, really need to. Those are some looong albums (73:19 and 68:45, respectively). Anything over 20-25 minutes per side (IIRC), and the sound quality will begin to suffer.

I used to jam Mr. Bungle all the time back in high school/early college. Love love loved them; they blew my teenaged mind. I haven't really listened to them since I sold my CD collection years ago, so I can't say for sure how I feel about them these days, but if they get properly reissued on vinyl, I'll definitely pick them up.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have to point out that my Plain blue pressing of Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar sounds utterly phenomenal, but the plains MBV- loveless I have sounds pretty weak. so I guess it's YMMV with Plain recordings.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

izationalizer posted:

Is MoV reissuing the S/T and "Disco Volante" as double LPs? I hope so, because they really, really need to. Those are some looong albums (73:19 and 68:45, respectively). Anything over 20-25 minutes per side (IIRC), and the sound quality will begin to suffer.

I used to jam Mr. Bungle all the time back in high school/early college. Love love loved them; they blew my teenaged mind. I haven't really listened to them since I sold my CD collection years ago, so I can't say for sure how I feel about them these days, but if they get properly reissued on vinyl, I'll definitely pick them up.

Not sure actually, I hope so. But I doubt it as it originally was also released on a single lp.

Mr. Bungle holds up man.

Chim posted:

I have to point out that my Plain blue pressing of Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar sounds utterly phenomenal, but the plains MBV- loveless I have sounds pretty weak. so I guess it's YMMV with Plain recordings.

My blue pressing sounded almost as rear end as my green Disco Volante. Horrendous.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

izationalizer posted:

In other news, Jawbreaker's "24 Hour Revenge Therapy" is gonna get reissued on Oct. 14. I already have it, but I might pick it up if the sound quality happens to be improved. It's about drat time for that thing to get reish'd, too; I always thought it was weird that Blackball reissued all of their albums except for that one, although there might have been some logical reason for that, I guess.

I bought a sealed copy that I believed to be a re-press in 2007 or 2008 from Generation Records in NYC. Either it was bootlegged or they had some kind of old stock they dug out, but I only paid like 13$ for it.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I'm glad I waited on getting any of the Plain Mr. Bungle pressings. I'll at least get California. Though I am a bit less inclined to listen lately.

Record not in horrible shape for the price, but who the hell writes the price on the original printed inner sleeve? Can't really complain when this was £3.50 (shipping to the US was more)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

izationalizer posted:

I just found out Disco Volante will be a single LP. Which is pretty bad since the album is almost seventy minutes long. I don't know why they can't split it into two LPs, but I'm sure there's a reason other than it came out in the nineties and nobody cared back then.