Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Sundae posted:

Failed a computer systems validation? :suicide:

A vague thing happened to a vague place!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I fill out a timesheet to the nearest sixth of an hour, but even though I'm salaried, I still make time+X after eight hours/Saturdays and time+2X after ten hours/Sundays.

:smug:

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I work in a large professional services firm. The policy is to track time in six minute increments. Makes sense for consultants as we bill clients based on those timesheets.

Except I'm internal staff, non-client facing and I still have to do it. Why?

"That's just how we do things".

Ugh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CelestialScribe posted:

I work in a large professional services firm. The policy is to track time in six minute increments. Makes sense for consultants as we bill clients based on those timesheets.

Except I'm internal staff, non-client facing and I still have to do it. Why?

"That's just how we do things".

Ugh.

Doesn't it make you feel more like an empowered, productive part of the team though? :mba:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Pf, when I started working in a law office I was expected to track my time to tenths of an hour (so 6 minute increments). Let me tell you, six minutes is an absurdly awkward amount of time to track your day with. My time wasn't even billed directly to clients, it was just because the partner wanted to scrutinize exactly what everyone was doing at all times.

When I wrote patents for a living, I had to track 6 minute increments too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you have to keep track of every 6 minute interval, what do you charge taking a dump or getting a cup of coffee to?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

skipdogg posted:

If you have to keep track of every 6 minute interval, what do you charge taking a dump or getting a cup of coffee to?

Break.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I also track to the nearest tenth.

Our time is tracked to the sub-sub-work order. As in, there's the main work order, the sub-work order, and the sub-sub-order. At least we have a mostly functional database to look everything up with.

I track to the .5 hour, but I have to hunt down my booking code in a ridiculous maze of work items. Assuming anyone's bothered to assign me to the right project so I can access that code, of course.

Then there's the whole tension over 'clock hours' vs 'work item hours', because our timesheet system is not linked to our work item tracking system, and what the ratio between these should be, depending on your training level. Naturally, my project lead disagrees with my line manager about this.

I spend too much time doing my timesheet and there's no code for that, either.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A major part of my job is to send out notifications to upper management regarding any kind of major service disruption we may face.

As a result of several stupid people making several stupid mistakes, a process was put in place where we draft a notification and our supervisor approves the draft before it goes out. This was put in place to stop us from making mistakes, and really I don't mind it because it adds an extra pair of eyes to what I send out for both proofreading and covering my rear end, considering it's going to be heavily scrutinized by a lot of important people.

The problem is that there's no "right" way to send a notification, and every supervisor has their own idea of what's "right". And of course, every time you do it "wrong", you can expect a lecture on what you did wrong, why it's wrong, and a speech about how "your director is out to get us so we have to be really careful because the next person who makes a mistake is going to get their rear end handed to them." That means weather or not you did it correctly is dependent on the phase of the moon and the whims of whatever the freak out FOTM is (which us techs are never told about until get lectured on it)

Today I sent out a notification that included the wording "Root Cause is still under analysis." One known PIA supervisor comes running out telling me to fix my grammar. We sat there and went over it word for word looking for where my egregious grammar error. The only change we made? "Root Cause" got turned into "Root cause".

We play a fun game on my shift called "spot the change" where the first person on the shift to spot what this supervisor changed in the notification wins bragging rights. I called out this game and proceeded to win gold, silver, and bronze for "dumbest change ever made to a notification." We have a 30 minute SLA to send out these notifications, and I would have hit that 30 minutes had he just approved it. Instead, I hit 45 minutes because of one letter.

Then, to top it all off? We got an e-mail while we were going through the notification asking a question about my outage, and my director answered roughly one minute and thirty seconds later. The same supervisor gave me a talking to because I was supposed to answer that question before the director can, even though that very sup is the one who was diverting my attention away from it.

I'm not even mad or worried anymore, all I can do is laugh. Every week for the past two and a half years I get the "they're out to get us so we have to be PERFECT" talk over something silly while my coworkers around me make huge mistakes born from incompetence and they walk out of it just fine. Not a single person has ever been fired in the history of this department, and undesirable people wind up getting glowing recommendation letters from management for promotion and promote them out because it's easier. It's just supervisors playing their supervisory games to make them feel better about themselves.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sundae posted:

Failed a computer systems validation? :suicide:

I wish that's all it was.

detectivemonkey posted:

A vague thing happened to a vague place!

Given one person in this thread knows where I work if I give more info, I really shouldn't

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

skipdogg posted:

Whatever I happened to be working on when I decided to get up. If they're paying me to sit in a chair and stare at their project for hours on end they can pay for my breaks I need to take from it to perform bodily functions. I can't remember who I was talking to, but they had something like 15 minutes they could charge for bathroom breaks and whatnot every day. I'd feel weird charging to that though, telling the entire accounting staff "I spent 6 minutes pooping today!"

Speaking of which I was attempting to use the bathroom when one of the HR ladies came in and tried to strike up a conversation about how my first couple weeks were going while I was in a stall. It was kinda awkward. It's not as bad as the time my friend was on a job interview and excused himself to use the bathroom and the interviewer followed him into the bathroom and continued the interview at the urinals.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Whatever I happened to be working on when I decided to get up. If they're paying me to sit in a chair and stare at their project for hours on end they can pay for my breaks I need to take from it to perform bodily functions. I can't remember who I was talking to, but they had something like 15 minutes they could charge for bathroom breaks and whatnot every day. I'd feel weird charging to that though, telling the entire accounting staff "I spent 6 minutes pooping today!"

Speaking of which I was attempting to use the bathroom when one of the HR ladies came in and tried to strike up a conversation about how my first couple weeks were going while I was in a stall. It was kinda awkward. It's not as bad as the time my friend was on a job interview and excused himself to use the bathroom and the interviewer followed him into the bathroom and continued the interview at the urinals.

I'm salary and OT starts after 45 hours. Those 5 hours are supposed to be built in for pooping, going to get coffee, taking a short walk, calling the SO. Its pretty fair and you never get knocked for getting a breath of air and its actually encouraged to do walking during the day.

If it was like 50 hours I'd get antsy about it but since the economy is up they're rolling policy back to the employees favor and I doubt its going to get worse anytime soon.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

the time my friend was on a job interview and excused himself to use the bathroom and the interviewer followed him into the bathroom and continued the interview at the urinals.

What would you say your best attribute is? :pervert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

It's not as bad as the time my friend was on a job interview and excused himself to use the bathroom and the interviewer followed him into the bathroom and continued the interview at the urinals.

No. loving. Way.

(Did he get the job?)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

No. loving. Way.

(Did he get the job?)

He did, I met him at work where he was performing the job he was interviewing for.

Now that he's on more familiar terms with the interviewer he gives him endless poo poo about it.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Given one person in this thread knows where I work if I give more info, I really shouldn't

Oh yeah I wasn't giving you poo poo about it, I'm the same way. Good luck with the Stone Age!

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Our lawyers bill in 6 minute increments. The industry hot topic these days is to give the client a fixed price up front by estimating what the work will cost and creating a palatable number out of it. We are attempting this however we have so little intelligence on what things cost to produce that the estimate varies wildly.

Management has some aversion to numbers, they prefer to go by the gut feeling on things. I don't understand how a business can run like this in this century.

Edit - one of the partners has a running joke with me about how much I 'love' analysis and statistics. He laughs at me as if I'm trying to bring on the wet season with a rain dance.

Swink fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 31, 2014

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Swink posted:

Our lawyers bill in 6 minute increments. The industry hot topic these days is to give the client a fixed price up front by estimating what the work will cost and creating a palatable number out of it. We are attempting this however we have so little intelligence on what things cost to produce that the estimate varies wildly.

Management has some aversion to numbers, they prefer to go by the gut feeling on things. I don't understand how a business can run like this in this century.

Edit - one of the partners has a running joke with me about how much I 'love' analysis and statistics. He laughs at me as if I'm trying to bring on the wet season with a rain dance.

Lawyers are generally awful at running their own firms. Don't get me wrong - it is a bad idea to run a company solely on numbers (as evidenced by this thread) but you're doomed if you can't properly cost out your service.

The one good thing about flat fee pricing is that you can "win" on certain services because the value to the customer is greater than the billable time, so you can bill more for it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Going fixed fee is actually really nice if you can pull it off - a lot of clients (both private and corporate) prefer it because they have a fixed amount on paper as opposed to a retainer and a big question mark. It also works out well for a lawyer because you can tell your client 'this will be $xx' and have them agree to it, and then they are much more likely to pay than if you get retainer and go through all sorts of stuff and then they get outraged at the building cost and don't want to pay you anything else. But yea, it strongly hinges on being able to properly value work so that you aren't charging people a pittance for a lot of work. This is easy to do because there are any number of things that aren't complicated, but are tedious and still require a lot of time to manage and complete. It works best for a practice with a clearly defined process; immigration is predominantly done as fixed-fee, because its easier to judge how much time/work a specific application will take compared to, say, handling someone acrimonious divorce.

The problem with law firms is essentially the same as for many small businesses. You have people who are very good at their industry or trade, but that doesn't mean that they're good at managing a business. Lots of small businesses suffer from poor management because being a great cake-maker doesn't make a competent business manager. What makes it worse is that when something like a bakery gets big enough, the guy running it might actually say 'Man, this is tough, I think I need an office manager to help me here', whereas a lot of lawyers are probably going to say 'Hey, I'm a lawyer, I do complicated paperwork poo poo all the time, I don't need someone telling me how to order my business'.

Then you get like eight of these people, most of whom are in their sixties and don't have great exposure to how work is actually done any more, and they make business decisions by consensus. :suicide:

I work at a small firm now that is not actually terrible about this, but man there are terrible places out there.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

On a typical day, I work on projects for at least half a dozen clients. Some of them get billed based on actual hours worked, some don't, but we need to keep track of how much time is being spent on everything. I keep track of my projects in 5 minute intervals. Random non-project related stuff and coffee breaks get charged to "Admin".

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

jkk posted:

On a typical day, I work on projects for at least half a dozen clients. Some of them get billed based on actual hours worked, some don't, but we need to keep track of how much time is being spent on everything. I keep track of my projects in 5 minute intervals. Random non-project related stuff and coffee breaks get charged to "Admin".

Five minute intervals seems weird just because it's not a convenient decimal to the hour. Why not six?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Just got 48 hours notice that I have to break some plans on Saturday that I'd made more than a month ago because a new task just got dropped on my section. On the upshot, I also found out that I don't have a limit on my tuition remission, so MBA here I come! And then there I'll go, because gently caress this place.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Just got 48 hours notice that I have to break some plans on Saturday that I'd made more than a month ago because a new task just got dropped on my section. On the upshot, I also found out that I don't have a limit on my tuition remission, so MBA here I come! And then there I'll go, because gently caress this place.

Make sure that they don't have a clause that says you must stay for X number of years after receiving your degree or you have to pay them back.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Make sure that they don't have a clause that says you must stay for X number of years after receiving your degree or you have to pay them back.

Also, check the wording on how they define stay/leave. A previous employer made no distinction between voluntary and involuntary departure and sent my co-worker a bill for the tuition reimbursement after she got laid off.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
There's no "will I stay or will I go now" clause, there's just all the tuition that I can suck out. If this place didn't upset me so much, I'd stay for a doctorate. As it stands, my wife has already told me she hates my job because of the hours required, and I have to agree with her.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Five minute intervals seems weird just because it's not a convenient decimal to the hour. Why not six?

I dunno. The budgeted time for most projects is in 5 minute intervals, ie. I'm expected to spend 15 minutes per day on this and 45 on that. Why would it need to be convenient decimals?

The system can handle either "1.5" hours or "1:30" though. I just find it easier to track 5 minute intervals myself, especially if I'm not doing the whole 45 minutes in one go.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

jkk posted:

I dunno. The budgeted time for most projects is in 5 minute intervals, ie. I'm expected to spend 15 minutes per day on this and 45 on that. Why would it need to be convenient decimals?

The system can handle either "1.5" hours or "1:30" though. I just find it easier to track 5 minute intervals myself, especially if I'm not doing the whole 45 minutes in one go.

My firm uses decimal time sheets. It just seems odd to me because if you spend an hour and 25 on something, you are then entering 1.416 hours. It seems weird to use a mix of base 10 and base 60.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Its month end in the wonderful world of accounts payable. Yesterday I found out that my job had been theoretically made redundant as of July 1st, but I've been doing it the old way for the last month because no one told me to do it any differently.

Apparently, everything I do should have been farmed out to an outside company. Oh well, I guess. Just means there is less stiff i have to train my replacement on before I leave to be an EMT on Tuesday. And by "replacement" I mean "my co-worker who is already working 60+ hour weeks because every time something new needs to be done management foists it on her because she is unwilling to say no".

Also, our Regional Manager, Regional Sales Manager, Accounting Manager, and Regional Controller all quit in the last two weeks. Along with 50% of the staff.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I currently envy Sundae's job.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

You're in hell, aren't you? You've died and gone to hell.

Edit: Once you get past whatever's gone wrong over there, I certainly hope you can describe it to us so that we can wince in sympathy.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Sundae posted:

You're in hell, aren't you? You've died and gone to hell.

Edit: Once you get past whatever's gone wrong over there, I certainly hope you can describe it to us so that we can wince in sympathy.

I might be in hell given the information about our issues we just all received.

Sadly as someone pointed out I can't say too much about what's gone wrong without everyone being able to figure out where I work.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

Sadly as someone pointed out I can't say too much about what's gone wrong without everyone being able to figure out where I work.
I'm not really sure how to google what companies are failing spectacularly due to sudden onset problem so I'll assume you're either in Gaza or at Market Basket

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

Do you work retail?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Defenestration posted:

I'm not really sure how to google what companies are failing spectacularly due to sudden onset problem so I'll assume you're either in Gaza or at Market Basket

Would he have internet in Gaza?
And I am not from the US so did some reading om Market basket, but that is one hell of a mess.

No news from me, enjoying two weeks leave away from home.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

This whole "I have a very interesting story, WHICH I'M NOT GOING TO TELL YOU" is getting a little irritating.

Hugbot
Mar 10, 2006

Ashcans posted:

The problem with law firms is essentially the same as for many small businesses. You have people who are very good at their industry or trade, but that doesn't mean that they're good at managing a business. Lots of small businesses suffer from poor management because being a great cake-maker doesn't make a competent business manager. What makes it worse is that when something like a bakery gets big enough, the guy running it might actually say 'Man, this is tough, I think I need an office manager to help me here', whereas a lot of lawyers are probably going to say 'Hey, I'm a lawyer, I do complicated paperwork poo poo all the time, I don't need someone telling me how to order my business'.

I work at a small firm now that is not actually terrible about this, but man there are terrible places out there.

Hi, this is my firm! My firm president hired some efficiency consultants and simultaneously doubled the average number of signoffs required for even the most mundane processes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Lets say my company was hacked by an outside party on which has caused our company system to be shut down for at least three months more then likely longer in some cases.

Today it was publish outside my company that not only did they know we had been hacked for a month but they know that all of our personal data was lost and didn't tell us. Given our computer system is locked out we can't change and personal info (like banking info) without losing the ability to get paid. Also our raises and backpay that was due the middle of August won't be given to us because they can't cut checks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Holy poo poo, I knew you guys had it bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad. Three loving months? Goddamn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If it's the place I'm thinking of, I thought you guys just found out last week, with the personal data revelation today.

Three months? Guess centralized IT really isn't the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's the place I'm thinking of, I thought you guys just found out last week, with the personal data revelation today.

Three months? Guess centralized IT really isn't the answer.

They found out long enough to go to ask a tribunional if they had really lost all our data.

Three months for some things on the outside.

*edit*
Everyone found out about the personal data breach from outside sources.

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 1, 2014