Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bvoid posted:

Ibuprofen is usually my go-to recommendation if people are having pain. It's cured my headaches, toothaches, lung pains, sore throats, everything.

I'm having pain from stomach ulcers and I keep pounding those NSAIDs and it's not helping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Babygravy posted:

I own a copy, it's sitting on my bookshelf. Shame the author didn't sign it..

Are there any signed copies of Mein Kampf? I wonder what they'd go for at auction.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Dentistry / Medical question: I'm prone to panic attacks and poo poo scared of needles and dentists, medical professionals and nurses. So I asked my GP about the possibility of a pre-med. I've been recommended to take diazepam 2-5mg, does anyone have any expereince with it? Would it help me to be able to sit in the dentist chair for <1hour? If not, is there any other route I can take?

Edit: Dumbass here accidentally quoted a post instead of replying.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

the posted:

Are there any signed copies of Mein Kampf? I wonder what they'd go for at auction.

Wonder no more.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just imagine the kind of people who bid on that. It boggles the mind.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Motronic posted:

Just imagine the kind of people who bid on that. It boggles the mind.

I'd have it if I could, I'm not going to lie. Like it or not, the man himself was a fantastic leader who pulled an entire country out of shits creek. Of course what he did after (or possibly during that time frame, I don't have the dates in front of me) was diabolical and twisted. *IF* (not saying you should, or anyone should, for that matter) you judge him on everything he did besides slaughtering innocents and starting wars, he was a great leader. Either way, famous or infamous, his signature on that book is worth a poo poo ton.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

itsjustdrew posted:

I'd have it if I could, I'm not going to lie. Like it or not, the man himself was a fantastic leader who pulled an entire country out of shits creek. Of course what he did after (or possibly during that time frame, I don't have the dates in front of me) was diabolical and twisted. *IF* (not saying you should, or anyone should, for that matter) you judge him on everything he did besides slaughtering innocents and starting wars, he was a great leader. Either way, famous or infamous, his signature on that book is worth a poo poo ton.

Hitler was a good guy!*

*If you overlook the giant genocide and world domination attempt

Seriously dude?

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

Dentistry / Medical question: I'm prone to panic attacks and poo poo scared of needles and dentists, medical professionals and nurses. So I asked my GP about the possibility of a pre-med. I've been recommended to take diazepam 2-5mg, does anyone have any expereince with it? Would it help me to be able to sit in the dentist chair for <1hour? If not, is there any other route I can take?

Edit: Dumbass here accidentally quoted a post instead of replying.

I 'm a tiny woman and the dentist did 5mg of diazepam the night before and then again an hr before the appointment. It didn't really make me loopy or knocked out, but it did calm me down enough to where I could sit still for over two hours. I do recommend it if you're scared of dentists. Just make sure to have a driver to and from the office even if you think you're okay. There's a couple of dentistry threads in the goon doctor for more info.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Hitler was a good guy!*

*If you overlook the giant genocide and world domination attempt

Seriously dude?

I didn't say he was a good guy at all, in fact I think quite the opposite, rightly so. However he took a struggling country after the first world war, pulled it out of the poo poo, gave it a decent to strong military power and improved the economy greatly, which, in my opinion, regardless of whether the guy was a complete and utter oval office or not, makes him a good leader.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

itsjustdrew posted:

I'd have it if I could, I'm not going to lie. Like it or not, the man himself was a fantastic leader who pulled an entire country out of shits creek.

*except the jews. You're an idiot.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

itsjustdrew posted:

I didn't say he was a good guy at all, in fact I think quite the opposite, rightly so. However he took a struggling country after the first world war, pulled it out of the poo poo, gave it a decent to strong military power and improved the economy greatly, which, in my opinion, regardless of whether the guy was a complete and utter oval office or not, makes him a good leader.

He didn't do that brah, the only policies of his that "worked" were ones his predecessors had already enacted when the Nazis seized power. You should check out these books for more information on that http://www.amazon.com/Wages-Destruction-Making-Breaking-Economy-ebook/dp/B008DR6YXO/ http://www.amazon.com/Third-Reich-Power-Richard-Evans-ebook/dp/B002IPZJ60/

In many ways Nazi policy actively sabotaged economic recovery, though for obvious reasons they were able to hush that up in the press at the time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

itsjustdrew posted:

*IF* (not saying you should, or anyone should, for that matter) you judge him on everything he did besides slaughtering innocents and starting wars, he was a great leader.

Actually, that's not accurate. Hitler's economic policy basically consisted of borrowing tons of money at disadvantageous rates and jacking up taxes to put the country on a war footing. Which made unemployment drop rapidly, sure, but the end game was risking everything on world domination; if the war hadn't happened, the German economy would have been hugely hosed anyway, because there was a massive rise in government expenditure without a corresponding growth in national productivity. Productivity in non-government, non-armaments sectors of the economy actually dropped during the pre-war years.

Hitler's social policies were crap, even if you take the whole genocide and reign of terror thing out of the equation. The corruption and cronyism of his administration wreaked havoc on the higher education system, the medical establishment, and non-military-related scientific research in general. The private sector was not immune from the encroachment of unqualified political appointees, either.

The Autobahnen are great, sure, but that was a project that started before Hitler was even in office. He did pour tons of money into it, to the point where other key infrastructure initiatives were underfunded or abandoned. As it turned out, that didn't matter, because the national infrastructure was hosed up by the war; but again, if the war hadn't happened, Hitler would have looked like a crazy rear end in a top hat who had hijacked the national budget and hosed up the country for his Napoleonic ambition.

We can talk about his farm policy if you like, but I'm bored now.

The best thing that ever happened for Hitler, in terms of his legacy, was his losing the war and shooting himself. None of his policies or plans were sustainable, even with the totalitarian reign of terror, slave labor, and confiscation of individual and national fortunes.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 31, 2014

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

NarwhalParty posted:

I 'm a tiny woman and the dentist did 5mg of diazepam the night before and then again an hr before the appointment. It didn't really make me loopy or knocked out, but it did calm me down enough to where I could sit still for over two hours. I do recommend it if you're scared of dentists. Just make sure to have a driver to and from the office even if you think you're okay. There's a couple of dentistry threads in the goon doctor for more info.

Thank you very much. did it ease the pain at all? I have a low pain tolerance, I'm a bit of a wimp.

Nintendo Kid posted:

He didn't do that brah, the only policies of his that "worked" were ones his predecessors had already enacted when the Nazis seized power. You should check out these books for more information on that http://www.amazon.com/Wages-Destruction-Making-Breaking-Economy-ebook/dp/B008DR6YXO/ http://www.amazon.com/Third-Reich-Power-Richard-Evans-ebook/dp/B002IPZJ60/

In many ways Nazi policy actively sabotaged economic recovery, though for obvious reasons they were able to hush that up in the press at the time.

and thank you, clearly I'm misinformed, I do apologise.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

itsjustdrew posted:

and thank you, clearly I'm misinformed, I do apologise.

I don't think you were 100% wrong, just misinformed about why you would want the book. I would want a book signed by Hitler because his horribleness makes him one of the most famous people in history. I think that in a few hundred years almost 100% of living persons will know exactly who Hitler is, just like now. I doubt that will be true of anyone else considered infamous right now, with the exception of religious figures, and maybe some Renaissance artists and a couple others I'm forgetting. I'm not a historian tho so I might just be talking out my rear end.

So basically I would take anything owned or signed by Hitler just because of his notoriety, while still thinking what he did was horrible.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

itsjustdrew posted:

Thank you very much. did it ease the pain at all? I have a low pain tolerance, I'm a bit of a wimp.

There are dentists that will give you nitrous for longer procedures if you have anxiety issues. They don't all do it and it'll probably cost more, but if you're bad enough it might be worth it.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

dupersaurus posted:

There are dentists that will give you nitrous for longer procedures if you have anxiety issues. They don't all do it and it'll probably cost more, but if you're bad enough it might be worth it.

My dentist wont do that, and cost isn't an issue for me, the government pays for this for me.

Rubies posted:

I don't think you were 100% wrong, just misinformed about why you would want the book. I would want a book signed by Hitler because his horribleness makes him one of the most famous people in history. I think that in a few hundred years almost 100% of living persons will know exactly who Hitler is, just like now. I doubt that will be true of anyone else considered infamous right now, with the exception of religious figures, and maybe some Renaissance artists and a couple others I'm forgetting. I'm not a historian tho so I might just be talking out my rear end.

So basically I would take anything owned or signed by Hitler just because of his notoriety, while still thinking what he did was horrible.

And yeah, I'm not justifying his actions at all, it'd just be awesome to own a piece of history, good or bad.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

itsjustdrew posted:

And yeah, I'm not justifying his actions at all, it'd just be awesome to own a piece of history, good or bad.

I doubt anyone here thinks you're a Nazi. It's just that the "Hitler was a great leader" truism is so tired and ridiculously inaccurate. It's right up there with "humans only use 10% of their brain capacity" as often-repeated falsehoods.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

AlbieQuirky posted:

I doubt anyone here thinks you're a Nazi. It's just that the "Hitler was a great leader" truism is so tired and ridiculously inaccurate. It's right up there with "humans only use 10% of their brain capacity" as often-repeated falsehoods.

Wait... so we use MORE than 10%. No, can't be, heh.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

What's the source for the audio in this video in which a guy says "you have come to a world called Gor" followed by a whipcrack? I want to know if it's from a movie or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45lXXiLbTxM

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Glorgnole posted:

What's the source for the audio in this video in which a guy says "you have come to a world called Gor" followed by a whipcrack? I want to know if it's from a movie or something.

It came from a terrible Gor roleplay website that LF found back in the day. When you loaded a page that recording, which was apparently the webmaster, would play every time.

The link to the page is probably somewhere in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2993648

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Glorgnole posted:

It's not from the movie, but there is literally a movie called "Gor" that's about Gor, so.. yeah.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

itsjustdrew posted:

You'll still feel some pinches from the needle but you should be decently numb afterwards. It will also keep you from tensing up and that helps the lidocaine work longer. I was already on tons of pain meds at the time (car wreck & airbag smashed my face in, breaking several teeth), so YMMV.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I'm looking to get a new nice relaxing chair for my computer / entertainment area.

I play games, watch tv, and generally work on the chair so its something I use a lot. My current chair is nice but its getting old and the leather on the office chair is wearing off and it doesn't recline like it used to. (Sometimes the lil lever you pull to recline pops out and you go further back than you want.)

Can anyone suggest a good office chair or brand within a reasonable price?

Upwards of 100 dollars or so is okay. But I'd like it to be sensible. Not sure on leather as it always seems to fade quickly on these kinds of chairs so just comfortable with a good back and adjustments is what I really want.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Al Borland posted:

I'm looking to get a new nice relaxing chair for my computer / entertainment area.

I play games, watch tv, and generally work on the chair so its something I use a lot. My current chair is nice but its getting old and the leather on the office chair is wearing off and it doesn't recline like it used to. (Sometimes the lil lever you pull to recline pops out and you go further back than you want.)

Can anyone suggest a good office chair or brand within a reasonable price?

Upwards of 100 dollars or so is okay. But I'd like it to be sensible. Not sure on leather as it always seems to fade quickly on these kinds of chairs so just comfortable with a good back and adjustments is what I really want.

There's a computer chair thread in SH/SC that may be able to point out some options:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I'm using a kitchen table chair at the moment because the last one broke =|

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

VodeAndreas posted:

There's a computer chair thread in SH/SC that may be able to point out some options:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

thank you so much. This is what I was looking for!

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I had a bottle of patron that I was given a couple of years ago and forgot about. I went to open it yesterday and it's already been opened. I'm pretty sure a roommate I had two years ago opened it and took a drink without telling me. Can I still drink it? Google says a lot of stuff about how tequila doesn't retain its freshness and flavour like most liquors after it's been opened, but if I choke it down will it a) Still get me drunk and b) not make me die?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DannoMack posted:

I had a bottle of patron that I was given a couple of years ago and forgot about. I went to open it yesterday and it's already been opened. I'm pretty sure a roommate I had two years ago opened it and took a drink without telling me. Can I still drink it? Google says a lot of stuff about how tequila doesn't retain its freshness and flavour like most liquors after it's been opened, but if I choke it down will it a) Still get me drunk and b) not make me die?
It's 40% alcohol; if there's some sort of bacteria living in there that's harmful to humans, you are just going to be patient zero of our extinction event.

Whether it'll taste any good or not, I don't know, as I cannot imagine letting a bottle of Patron sit around unimbibed for two years.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

DannoMack posted:

It's not unsafe or anything and it will still be alcoholic. So yes to both. In my experience, tequila (specifically) tends to get a saltier taste after sitting opened for awhile. This is usually with larger bottles of cheaper stuff that I use for mixing, so the saltiness isn't an issue. Sipping/shooting tequilas tend to not last that long in my house. If the taste seems off, you can always make margaritas with it (something I'd normally not advise with Patron).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What free video capture tools are people using to make those how-to videos for youtube etc? I have Windows 7 and just want to record a 60-second video of my desktop as I do some stuff and click the mouse etc. I tried camtasia but the recording is really laggy for some reason.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

It came from a terrible Gor roleplay website that LF found back in the day. When you loaded a page that recording, which was apparently the webmaster, would play every time.

The link to the page is probably somewhere in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2993648

Weird, thanks!

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What free video capture tools are people using to make those how-to videos for youtube etc? I have Windows 7 and just want to record a 60-second video of my desktop as I do some stuff and click the mouse etc. I tried camtasia but the recording is really laggy for some reason.

Debut video capture software works for me.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
There are mental illnesses that cause people to hear voices, but what happens if a deaf person has that mental illness?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crankit posted:

There are mental illnesses that cause people to hear voices, but what happens if a deaf person has that mental illness?

They see signs.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crankit posted:

I think it kind of depends on the individual.

If they have been stone deaf for their entire lives, they wouldn't "hear" voices because they have no frame of reference for what a voice is.

Probably the same for someone who was blind their entire life. They wouldn't likely have visual hallucinations since they don't understand what 'seeing' is.

If the person had hearing but lost it due to disease or injury and went from normal hearing to absolute silence, then I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a very convincing thing thing because the 'fake' audio would be coming from an internal source. If the only thing you hear is a voice in your head, then you probably know it's in your head.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Crankit posted:

There are a bunch of case studies out there. This looks like a useful literature review.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Crankit posted:

I'd imagine whatever was causing someone's brain to do such a thing to a person with hearing would just manifest itself differently for a deaf person. Surely there have been reported cases of deaf people that have been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Well I went and had a look on the ol google and came up with this, although I've got some questions about the methodology as reported in that article.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How hard is it to sell a piano? How hard is it to give one away? I'm considering accepting one for free, and I know that it would eventually be my white elephant.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

How hard is it to sell a piano? How hard is it to give one away? I'm considering accepting one for free, and I know that it would eventually be my white elephant.

Unless it's really nice, impossible and difficult, respectively.

Go on Craigslist and look at all the free pianos in your area sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Mescal posted:

I bet if you decided you didn't want it then a public school with a music department might take it. If they won't, it's probably because the piano is a piece of poo poo and you can just throw it out.