Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

CPL593H posted:

By the way, where did you hear about this?

https://twitter.com/moiseschiu/status/492859693807583232

They probably have a booth at San Diego Comic-Con.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
And Weird Al himself just tweet about it.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/492902524727197697

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Safe Driver posted:

Just pre-ordered that Twin Peaks boxset from Amazon UK for 81 shipped to Canada. I'm going in blind.

I'm so close to joining you blind on this deal - appreciate the heads up!

BUT who can help sway my decision on a blind boxset purchase: Twin Peaks or Essential Jacques Demy?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

friendo55 posted:

I'm so close to joining you blind on this deal - appreciate the heads up!

BUT who can help sway my decision on a blind boxset purchase: Twin Peaks or Essential Jacques Demy?

Today is the last day of the B&N Criterion 50% off sale, so that's something to keep in mind.

My vote is to go with Twin Peaks

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
The Demy boxset has some real masterpieces in it, but I can see his style not being for everyone. I don't think I would recommend going in blind to such a big investment unless you really think it'd be up your alley. On the other hand, if you like TV drama or David Lynch at all, you'll dig Twin Peaks.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Dr.Caligari posted:

Today is the last day of the B&N Criterion 50% off sale, so that's something to keep in mind.

My vote is to go with Twin Peaks

juan the owl posted:

The Demy boxset has some real masterpieces in it, but I can see his style not being for everyone. I don't think I would recommend going in blind to such a big investment unless you really think it'd be up your alley. On the other hand, if you like TV drama or David Lynch at all, you'll dig Twin Peaks.

Sold. Yea I may check out 1-2 of Demy's films first before doing that blind - plus there's the Tati set and so many great releases I'll be picking up in the November sale.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:siren:

Fox is including some Comic-Con lithographs with certain blu ray purchases today.

http://www.foxconnect.com/promos/comic-con-2014.html

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Vintersorg posted:

:siren:

Fox is including some Comic-Con lithographs with certain blu ray purchases today.

http://www.foxconnect.com/promos/comic-con-2014.html

It too bad they all look like poo poo.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Goddamn, the new Twin Peaks box set might have the prettiest packaging I've ever seen.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ha, Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair...maybe next year.

Quentin Tarantino posted:

What’s going on with that is originally back when Kill Bill was going to be one movie, I wrote an even longer anime sequence. So you see in the movie [O-Ren] kill her boss but then there was that long hair guy… The big sequence was her fighting that guy. I.G. [The Japanese Anime Studio] who did Ghost in the Shell said we can’t do that and finish it in time for your thing. And [plus] you can’t have a thirty-minute piece in your movie. I said okay. It was my favorite part but it was the part you could drop. So we dropped it and then later when I.G. heard we were talking about doing Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair — they still had the script so without even being commissioned, they just did it and paid for it themselves. It’s really terrific. Anyway, The Weinstein Company and myself were talking about actually coming out with it sometime, not before the year is out, but within the next year with limited theatrical engagement as well.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ha, Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair...maybe next year.

I want to say I knew I just needed to keep waiting, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Still haven't bought the blu cause of that. Maybe this will be it!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Quoting myself and another from the Bluray Deals thread. I figured someone here might be able to answer my question:

IUG posted:

I've been seeing people talk about this movie a lot in the animated gif thread (due to all the practical effects). They say that there's two versions of the bluray, one that's great image quality and one that's crap. Or one that has special features and one that doesn't. Does anyone know which field this particular edition falls into?

cb rocks
Jun 10, 2004
sup m8s

IUG posted:

Quoting myself and another from the Bluray Deals thread. I figured someone here might be able to answer my question:

The Skynet edition is the one with all the special features.

Check these out for reviews and screen grabs of both editions:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/4024/#Review (Skynet edition)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Terminator-2-Judgment-Day-Blu-ray/82/#Review

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I just wanted to say that I got one of my favorite movies on blu-ray recently, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and the transfer is a loving travesty. Stick with the DVD and save yourself some money.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sheldrake posted:

I just wanted to say that I got one of my favorite movies on blu-ray recently, The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes, and the transfer is a loving travesty. Stick with the DVD and save yourself some money.

I think I read that the negative is gone. The United Artists library is a nightmare. No one was taking care of it until the mid-1990s. They even junked literally tons of materials in 1991 when ownership changed.

Kino's MGM release are mostly titles that Criterion, Twilight Time, and Shout! were not interested in or didn't have good enough materials.

Goddamn Marty is apparently a decade-old transfer in the wrong aspect ratio.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So does anyone happen to know if there's going to be a non-limited edition Batman TV series blu-ray in addition to that overpriced monstrosity with toy cars in the box?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPL593H posted:

So does anyone happen to know if there's going to be a non-limited edition Batman TV series blu-ray in addition to that overpriced monstrosity with toy cars in the box?

They're doing season sets, though they haven't been totally clear about whether they're dvd only. I don't know why they wouldn't do blus also though.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection, coming November 4th to Amazon.
Currently up for 140$.

The CriterionCast tumblr posted:

This 10-disc Blu-ray collection includes eight Kubrick classics as well as two newly-produced documentaries: Kubrick Remembered and Stanley Kubrick in Focus, plus three additional documentaries: Once Upon a Time…’A Clockwork Orange’, Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures, and O Lucky Malcolm! Also included will be a new 78-page hardcover photo book using film archive photographs.

Here's hoping the discs are region free/they'll release it in the EU too.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Aside from the documentaries and book, will the set be any different than the previous Kubrick set?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Angryhead posted:

Stanley Kubrick: The Masterpiece Collection, coming November 4th to Amazon.
Currently up for 140$.

Here's hoping the discs are region free/they'll release it in the EU too.

That looks like a new version of this with just the book added:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004O724NG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which used to be around $60. Maybe they pulled it prior to offering this one.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jack Gladney posted:

+ book
+ a couple of new docs
- Spartacus

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Arrow is releasing a loaded special edition of The 'burbs in the UK. New 2K restoration, the complete workprint version, with the alternate ending in HD. Looks absolutely packed.

Also, The Great Race is coming to Warner Archive on Sept. 9. According to a thread on Home Theater Forum*, restoration expert Robert Harris says Warner Bros. actually has a ton of new releases in the works for next year.

*Viewing Home Theater Forum may be hazardous to your health unless you're immune to Star Wars being brought up in every thread (even when absolutely irrelevant) and death threats to studios.

FitFortDanga posted:

+ book
+ a couple of new docs
- Spartacus

And artwork by Disco Stu.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the Amazon.co.uk price for the Twin Peaks Blu Ray some special sale, or is that just the price? It would be about $70US to ship it here, as opposed to being $119 plus tax on Amazon.com.

I'd like to buy it, but not right away if I can help it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the Amazon.co.uk price for the Twin Peaks Blu Ray some special sale, or is that just the price? It would be about $70US to ship it here, as opposed to being $119 plus tax on Amazon.com.

I'd like to buy it, but not right away if I can help it.

That's their normal price.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Egbert Souse posted:

Arrow is releasing a loaded special edition of The 'burbs in the UK. New 2K restoration, the complete workprint version, with the alternate ending in HD. Looks absolutely packed.

Also, The Great Race is coming to Warner Archive on Sept. 9. According to a thread on Home Theater Forum*, restoration expert Robert Harris says Warner Bros. actually has a ton of new releases in the works for next year.

*Viewing Home Theater Forum may be hazardous to your health unless you're immune to Star Wars being brought up in every thread (even when absolutely irrelevant) and death threats to studios.

And artwork by Disco Stu.

Wow. The UK gets something good for once (Still bitter about all those Shout Factory discs being region locked). This will be the first Blu I get in a long time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Edit: UK releases are great now and then. You guys have a great Payback BD.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd love to have this, but I'm American, so am I getting hosed here?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm gonna import that. The 'Burbs rules. Joe Dante, in general, rules pretty hard.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Red posted:

I'd love to have this, but I'm American, so am I getting hosed here?

If your player is multi region and format, then order it from Amazon UK. Disc is not region free, coded B.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/burbs-Blu-ray-Tom-Hanks/dp/B00IJF6XYA/

Considering the frequent release funnies between USA and UK, let alone JPN or ITA releases that occasionally outshine others, I strongly recommend buying a modded multi region and format player.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

You can still get the international version for $41, though it's missing Dr. Strangelove and Spartacus:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubrick-Visionary-Filmmaker-Collection/dp/B00GGAK0FS/

I just received that set a few days ago, actually. It's a really good value if you don't own any them already. I kind of wish they had sacrificed Lolita for Strangelove, though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The new Breaking Bad Complete Series boxset dropped down to $102.49 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...O2I6OH3H2SRL75J

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Single release of the 4K restored The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly coming Oct. 7th and only $14 on Amazon right now.

Also, a bit of interesting Disney news. The new release of Bedknobs and Broomsticks only has the theatrical cut, but all of the extended cut scenes are provided as extras and in full 1080p HD. Early word is that the remaster is excellent, but a lot of fans are complaining about the extended cut not being branched. (The extended cut is interesting, but is fairly bloated and has really awful ADR/mixing on the restored scenes). Plus, the new release of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad includes The Reluctant Dragon (the full-length feature, not just the cartoon segment) remastered in 1080p HD. It was previously only available on a Walt Disney Treasures DVD.

November/December Twilight Time releases:

November 11:
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962, John Frankenheimer) - MGM
Judgement at Nuremberg (1961, Stanley Kramer) - MGM
When the Wind Blows (1986, Jimmy Murakami) - Four Films
Flaming Star (1960, Don Siegel) - Fox
Bunny Lake is Missing (1965, Otto Preminger) - Sony
The Twilight Samurai (2002, Yoji Yamada) - ?

December 9:
Yentl (1983, Barbra Streisand) - MGM
Funny Lady (1975, Herbert Ross) - Sony
Inherit the Wind (1960, Stanley Kramer) - MGM
Heaven and Earth (1993, Oliver Stone) - Warner*
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1968, Ronald Neame) - Fox
The Fortune (1975, Mike Nichols) - Sony

Twilight Time already confirmed Heaven and Earth was a special "one off" Warner license from Oliver Stone's request.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Single release of the 4K restored The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly coming Oct. 7th and only $14 on Amazon right now.

Also, a bit of interesting Disney news. The new release of Bedknobs and Broomsticks only has the theatrical cut, but all of the extended cut scenes are provided as extras and in full 1080p HD. Early word is that the remaster is excellent, but a lot of fans are complaining about the extended cut not being branched. (The extended cut is interesting, but is fairly bloated and has really awful ADR/mixing on the restored scenes). Plus, the new release of The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad includes The Reluctant Dragon (the full-length feature, not just the cartoon segment) remastered in 1080p HD. It was previously only available on a Walt Disney Treasures DVD.

November/December Twilight Time releases:

November 11:
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962, John Frankenheimer) - MGM
Judgement at Nuremberg (1961, Stanley Kramer) - MGM
When the Wind Blows (1986, Jimmy Murakami) - Four Films
Flaming Star (1960, Don Siegel) - Fox
Bunny Lake is Missing (1965, Otto Preminger) - Sony
The Twilight Samurai (2002, Yoji Yamada) - ?

December 9:
Yentl (1983, Barbra Streisand) - MGM
Funny Lady (1975, Herbert Ross) - Sony
Inherit the Wind (1960, Stanley Kramer) - MGM
Heaven and Earth (1993, Oliver Stone) - Warner*
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1968, Ronald Neame) - Fox
The Fortune (1975, Mike Nichols) - Sony

Twilight Time already confirmed Heaven and Earth was a special "one off" Warner license from Oliver Stone's request.

Why the gently caress is Inherit the Wind not a Criterion Collection release?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

The Twilight Samurai (2002, Yoji Yamada)

Would have been better as a Criterion box set with The Hidden Blade and Love and Honor, but I'll take what I can get.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

CPL593H posted:

Why the gently caress is Inherit the Wind not a Criterion Collection release?

All respect for Stanley Kramer is grudging respect.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Powell & Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death is getting a Blu release in France on Oct. 7

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Is it going to be the god drat loving American cut or not

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The Herzog boxset is down to $101.19

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...PH7DUXV2RKPJ6WB

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Princess Mononoke - Nov. 18 (from Disney)

DVD Beaver on Murnau's Faust (Masters of Cinema)

Kino confirmed their edition is coming later this year, as well as Caligari.

Criminal Minded posted:

Is it going to be the god drat loving American cut or not

It's the same extended cut, but without smear-o-vision and does have the original mono track (with mono fold-downs for the redubbed parts). While I'd prefer both cuts, at least it's not an inferior cut AND blurry.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Berberian Sound Studio needs a region-free BR release. :argh:

• Locked thread