Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Just had a chance to finally try the Dogfish Head 120-Minute IPA during a tap takeover at the local taproom. I've seen it around just never had the opportunity to try it before. At about $1/oz it's not the cheapest beer, but it's 15-20% ABV (they brew it differently every time) so it doesn't take much! I had two 10oz glasses and could definitely feel it.

Overall flavor profile was very fruity with citrus notes, and given the extreme abv I thought that would come through a lot more but the hop blend does a good job of settling down the alcohol burn. You can tell there's slight bits of vanilla and pine but it all comes together very nicely.

It's still not $1/oz good (at least for me), but I'm glad I tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Special double post: Swill, which was the best summer beer ever last year but the formula changed this year and I don't like it as much anymore, is now getting recalled because it's experiencing secondary fermentation for God knows why and bottles are exploding across Oregon!!! :ohdear:

poo poo, really? i was gonna have you send me some- my brother tried it while they were up near Seattle and really liked it. oh, well...

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Dogfish 120 tastes to me like a wet dog rolling in a field of flowers. I mean that in a good way.

Just picked up a box of the new Short's box. Four lighter beers: dark session IPA, session IPA, kölsch, and witbier. Great so far!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

swickles posted:

Speaking of Beer Camp a place close to me is tapping all 12 beers. Assuming I can go which 3-4 are the must haves? I already have the ccb tropical maibock on my list.

Bells Imperial Dark, Victory's Alt Route, Nikasi's Double Latte. Huge standouts and loving brilliantly executed beers.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yes, yes :getin:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/wtf-gabf-2014-tickets-12323799817

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I've probably bought 4 or 5 6-packs of a Lil Sumthin Extra! over the last month. go to IPA thanks to this thread. In Lagunitas we trust!

(down with stone and rogue)! :jihad:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 31, 2014

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yesssss...

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Eejit posted:

Yesssss...

Maybe we could do a bottle share on that Friday depending on when Dr. Bill's rare beer event is happening? That's probably the only thing about Stone I'd still support, but I've always wanted to go.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Midorka posted:

Bells Imperial Dark, Victory's Alt Route, Nikasi's Double Latte. Huge standouts and loving brilliantly executed beers.

If you have room for one more, I thought the Allagash and Russian River were both excellent lightweight Belgians.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aw poo poo. How much were tickets to this last year?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Should have been more specific. Short's box is Kolsch 45, Wit Happens, Stroker Ace (session IPA), and Nightwheeler (session black IPL).

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Aw poo poo. How much were tickets to this last year?

$80 and I'd gladly pay it again considering how stacked the beer list was.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Wamsutta posted:

I don't even get why you'd roll the dice there to begin with. Then again, I avoid fruit beers. I happily concede that Purple Haze must be terrible.

When I was first getting into craft beer I had this idea that I wanted to try every single beer the Yard House served

It had it's ups and downs

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Hauki posted:

Welp, GABF tickets were sold out by 10:01 I guess? My girlfriend and I were each searching different sessions as the clock struck and they all turned up sold out.

It seems like the time has come and gone that GABF needs to be split up. Maybe make it a few times a year regional or something.

Docjowles posted:

This sounds like typical "every beer is a whale or a drainpour" Beeradvocate crap. I'd say beer camp met expectations. Almost all of the beers were good to great.

While I am happy to poo poo on beeradvocate, everything I had from the Beer camp 12 pack was ho-hum and they decided to not play to any of the brewer's strengths and got a weak result. That said I only had like 6 of them tho.

TenaciousTomato posted:

I've probably bought 4 or 5 6-packs of a Lil Sumthin Extra! over the last month. go to IPA thanks to this thread. In Lagunitas we trust!

(down with stone and rogue)! :jihad:

As someone who loves Lagunitas and also Stone but hates Rogue with a passion this post leaves me conflicted

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
Super excited to hear this. Will be going again for sure. The one they did during CBC was even better then the one during last years GABF. And the venue is much better suited to an event like this. No lines for the bathroom!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MunchE posted:

It seems like the time has come and gone that GABF needs to be split up. Maybe make it a few times a year regional or something.

Nah, they just need to not use Ticketmaster. And probably also not make tickets transferable. There is a huge amount of ticket scalping that goes on with this event every year.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sirotan posted:

Nah, they just need to not use Ticketmaster. And probably also not make tickets transferable. There is a huge amount of ticket scalping that goes on with this event every year.

Yeah, as I said earlier, if you live on the Front Range and want to go, you can very realistically drive down and get tickets outside the venue. The scalping is absolutely insane for GABF, just look at secondary market sites like StubHub, they're just full up on tickets.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

swickles posted:

Speaking of Beer Camp a place close to me is tapping all 12 beers. Assuming I can go which 3-4 are the must haves? I already have the ccb tropical maibock on my list.

Definitely CCB and Bell's in my opinion.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Eejit posted:

Yeah, as I said earlier, if you live on the Front Range and want to go, you can very realistically drive down and get tickets outside the venue. The scalping is absolutely insane for GABF, just look at secondary market sites like StubHub, they're just full up on tickets.

Yep, I just found someone who had a spare ticket for the BA session last year and that's how I was able to get in.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

So the Great British Beer Festival [this year I shall not be able to make it :(], has released a good amount of beers still adding some I've been told but it looks good. http://beer.gbbf.org.uk/

Being old guard CAMRA ran it's all cask or bottle. It's nice to see some casks coming out America, I like both keg and cask but grew up drinking cask and I like the bigger mouthfeel / body of the beer but some beers I've had have been better on keg, specially IPAs which haven't been dryhopped in the cask. 2/3 American beers are bottles 1/3 cask. Unless CAMRA's old guard has been taken down by some people and now allow keg for some beers. But I don't think that has or will happen very soon. :( The no keg policy is outdated. :qq:

I really wish I was going this year, Cantillon Kriek on draught, Cantillon Bruocsella Grand Cru unblended in bottles. :swoon:

Edit: Looking at it, they may have removed the no keg policy for beer outside the UK, but UK beers still have to be in cask form.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 31, 2014

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

So.... this is a two parter so bear with me.

1) Has anyone had Black Butte XXVI? I got one bottle at the local bottle shop, but a local pizza place just posted they got their allotment as well. I'm kinda leaning towards getting another bottle or two to cellar(I follow those "dont' drink before" dates on the bottles)... but this is the first year Deschutes has really been a player in the local area. So thoughts on this years?

I went to Tired Hands last night. They have "Watching Trees Decompose" on tap right now, which is their Blueberry IPA and which Jean is suggesting is like Mago Tago with blueberries. I wanted to run down and get some before it was all gone. I took my 4 1L growlers down, got "I Am Emptiness" , "Watching Trees Decompose", "Carpet of my Heart" and "Gose is my CoPilot" and took off to go home. There's a part where (I'm sure Philly area goons know all to well) I'm driving home,a nd I have to pick if I'm taking 76W or 422W . 422 is a horrid stretch of road littered with traffic lights thru 3 shopping districts and a 55PMH speed limit. 76 is the turnpike, where I can go 65 and not be bothered with paying too much attention. My phone told me to take 422. I chose 76. Wound up in a 3 hour traffic jam because of a fatal accident(feel bad for the guy). I managed to keep my growlers cold by leaving the air on high, and my cooled seat on full blast and I kept rotating the growlers.

Got home, had I Am Emptiness first. It was their strawberry saison, brewed with local strawberries from Lancaster. It was pretty drat solid. People were complaining it wasn't strawberry enough, but we felt the sour/tartness level was perfect, it was a typical TH saison with sour/strawberry notes added in. Was pretty fantastic.

Then got into the Gose is my CoPilot. A gose made with cilantro and limes. Smelled like a margarita, tasted like heaven. I've had Anderson Valley's Gose, Sam Adams' Gose and Westbrook's Gose. This is far and away my favorite of the bunch at this point. It had the perfect salt/sour balance, and the limes really added a nice taste kick.

I saved the two IPAs for tonight, as I wanted to make sure they had a chance to get fully back down to the right temp.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Fluo posted:

Unless CAMRA's old guard has been taken down by some people and now allow keg for some beers. But I don't think that has or will happen very soon. :( The no keg policy is outdated. :qq:

are they still as bad as they're described in Man Walks into a Pub? (basically a bunch of sandals-wearing neckbeard obsessives for those who haven't read it)

Vertigo posted:

Then got into the Gose is my CoPilot. A gose made with cilantro and limes. Smelled like a margarita, tasted like heaven. I've had Anderson Valley's Gose, Sam Adams' Gose and Westbrook's Gose. This is far and away my favorite of the bunch at this point. It had the perfect salt/sour balance, and the limes really added a nice taste kick.

didn't know until yesterday that this is another "collaboration" between Jean and my boy Dave Witte. not a very flattering picture, though...

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

didn't know until yesterday that this is another "collaboration" between Jean and my boy Dave Witte. not a very flattering picture, though...

Well, your boy did a fantastic job working with Jean. Gose is such a weird style, but this one knocked it out of the park.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vertigo posted:

1) Has anyone had Black Butte XXVI? I got one bottle at the local bottle shop, but a local pizza place just posted they got their allotment as well. I'm kinda leaning towards getting another bottle or two to cellar(I follow those "dont' drink before" dates on the bottles)... but this is the first year Deschutes has really been a player in the local area. So thoughts on this years?

I went to Tired Hands last night. They have "Watching Trees Decompose" on tap right now, which is their Blueberry IPA and which Jean is suggesting is like Mago Tago with blueberries. I wanted to run down and get some before it was all gone. I took my 4 1L growlers down, got "I Am Emptiness" , "Watching Trees Decompose", "Carpet of my Heart" and "Gose is my CoPilot" and took off to go home. There's a part where (I'm sure Philly area goons know all to well) I'm driving home,a nd I have to pick if I'm taking 76W or 422W . 422 is a horrid stretch of road littered with traffic lights thru 3 shopping districts and a 55PMH speed limit. 76 is the turnpike, where I can go 65 and not be bothered with paying too much attention. My phone told me to take 422. I chose 76. Wound up in a 3 hour traffic jam because of a fatal accident(feel bad for the guy). I managed to keep my growlers cold by leaving the air on high, and my cooled seat on full blast and I kept rotating the growlers.

Got home, had I Am Emptiness first. It was their strawberry saison, brewed with local strawberries from Lancaster. It was pretty drat solid. People were complaining it wasn't strawberry enough, but we felt the sour/tartness level was perfect, it was a typical TH saison with sour/strawberry notes added in. Was pretty fantastic.

I saved the two IPAs for tonight, as I wanted to make sure they had a chance to get fully back down to the right temp.

XXVI is getting good reviews and sounds pretty delicious. Go for it.

Never choose 76.

Hatful and I both (on separate nights, on draft) considered the Strawberry Emptiness almost a drainpour -- I got melted plastic, he got nail polish remover. Something was wrong with this batch.

The gose was pretty good, but I'm spoiled by the CCB Margarita Gose which was next level poo poo when you're talking about a gose that tastes like a margarita.

The Blueberry IPA is stellar. It's not as in-your-face as MagoTago or SuchPassion, but it's really really nice.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Vertigo posted:

Well, your boy did a fantastic job working with Jean. Gose is such a weird style, but this one knocked it out of the park.

he's not a brewer, that's why i typed "collaboration." just like with Play Fast, he said something like, "hey, you should make X beer with Y ingredient(s)" and probably helped with the brew day, but didn't actually formulate the recipe. i passed along your review, though, which he will be stoked to read.

V ha, will do!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 31, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

funkybottoms posted:

he's not a brewer, that's why i typed "collaboration." just like with Play Fast, he said something like, "hey, you should make X beer with Y ingredient(s)" and probably helped with the brew day, but didn't actually formulate the recipe. i passed along your review, though, which he will be stoked to read.

Tell him I said Play Fast was loving incredible.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

are they still as bad as they're described in Man Walks into a Pub? (basically a bunch of sandals-wearing neckbeard obsessives for those who haven't read it)

Yes and no, it's one reason why I refer to CAMRA as the old guard. I was deep in the clique higher for awhile and had to get out, still a member for festivals and such but they're stuck in the 70s when real ale was starting to die for the keg. Theres people in CAMRA no matter what age I've seen 18 - 88s in it who are the last person who'd be seen wearing sandals with a neckbeard etc. The problem is there is people who Man Walks into a Pub described but they're slowly dying out with age but there is the sandals-wearing neckbeard obsessives in CAMRA of any age. But I'd say that's about 30% of CAMRA now adays, 70% of the members tend to be either, female, 18-30, students, office workers, dads in their 50s whos kids just went off to college and are now bored etc. The problem is the 30% of CAMRA who are the sandals with neckbeards types hold most the power and it gets really petty and political etc so I tend to ignore that and just hang around the people I enjoy, some in CAMRA, some not in CAMRA. Generally speaking there does need to be either a massive reform in CAMRA or the craftmicro one that set up in London needs to go National to compete with CAMRA. CAMRA won't really be crushed though, on local level it's all grass roots based, once you get past the cities groups it gets into a complex lobby group with other EU based beer lobby groups.

tldr: It's not all sandal-wearing neckbeards, but they tend to be the ones with the power. Also can't move with the times and understand that cask and keg can be together it isn't the 70s and both are great depending on style. Stouts are amazing from casks, refreshing saisons from keg etc. Not all CAMRA members are against keg, the ones who are, are just the loudest etc. D:

Also I think I've been able to wraggle it to get to go to GBBF. :toot:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 31, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Did anyone else watch the first two episodes of Dark Horse Nation, the History channel 'reality' series about Dark Horse Brewing? Good lord were they tedious as hell. It also makes the guys at Dark Horse look like a bunch of rednecks living in the middle of rear end in a top hat, Michigan. I've never been that big of a fan but so far the show is making me want to buy their beer even less.

You can stream the full episodes here if you are morbidly curious: http://www.history.com/shows/dark-horse-nation

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Vertigo posted:

I stopped in after work yesterday because of I am the Emptiness and Watching Trees Decompose.

I am the Emptiness had a really nice big punch of tart strawberry up front and then it faded into this disgusting nail polish remover/melted plastic flavor and just lingered. I have never had a beer I'd ever consider "bad" at Tired Hands until that one. I honestly don't understand how people are rating that beer so highly. Yes, the flavor up front is drat amazing, but that finish is so foul that I actually thought about sending my 4 ounce pour back. Let me repeat that: the beer was so bad that I strongly considered sending back my tasting glass of it. In the end, I slowly made it through 2 ounces and it didn't get any better so I chugged the second half. And in the following 2 or 3 minutes it took to get my second beer all I could taste was that horrid mouth coating flavor. Truly vile stuff.

Watching Trees Decompose was fantastic. Not as amazing as Such Passion (The passion fruit version of Mago Tago), but it was up there. Though I have a soft spot for blueberries in my beer. Love them bluebs. And it definitely did not disappoint. There was a big punch of blueberry right up the middle that faded into familiar IPA flavors. It managed to pack a ton of blueberry without making me think I was drinking juice.

And before I left I grabbed a glass of Fool in the Full Moon, the coffee wheat porter. That is one rich and velvety dessert beer. The wheat does magical things here and the beer takes on an almost graham cracker-like quality which is an excellent balance to the dark roast notes of the malt and coffee. It's got a lush mouthfeel that just goes down so smooth. One of the best beers I've had at Tired Hands in a while.

Sidenote: if you're heading out to Tired Hands anytime soon, you owe it to yourself to order the Doe Run Farm Hummingbird cheese. It's a fantastic mild soft cheese reminiscent of Robiola. It's rich and creamy without being overpowering and perfectly compliments pretty much every beer on tap right now, but pairs extremely well with Full in the Full Moon. And the house made spiced chutney they're serving it with is out of this world.

edit -

a worthy uhh posted:

Hatful and I both (on separate nights, on draft) considered the Strawberry Emptiness almost a drainpour -- I got melted plastic, he got nail polish remover. Something was wrong with this batch.

Just saw this and yeah. Agreed. What I can't figure out is how people are rating it so highly. Are they just completely ignoring the finish?

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 31, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Fluo posted:

tldr: It's not all sandal-wearing neckbeards, but they tend to be the ones with the power. Also can't move with the times and understand that cask and keg can be together it isn't the 70s and both are great depending on style. Stouts are amazing from casks, refreshing saisons from keg etc. Not all CAMRA members are against keg, the ones who are, are just the loudest etc. D:

that's usually the way of things. as for the tldr, not on my account- i enjoyed your World Cup beers thread and it's nice to see discussion of a different scene from time-to-time (even if i get mildly bummed that i can't drink most of what you're talking about)

Sirotan posted:

Did anyone else watch the first two episodes of Dark Horse Nation, the History channel 'reality' series about Dark Horse Brewing? Good lord were they tedious as hell. It also makes the guys at Dark Horse look like a bunch of rednecks living in the middle of rear end in a top hat, Michigan. I've never been that big of a fan but so far the show is making me want to buy their beer even less.

my coworker said it was terrible, but cool for the five seconds they showed of actual brewery work because "something i do is on TV!"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Just saw this and yeah. Agreed. What I can't figure out is how people are rating it so highly. Are they just completely ignoring the finish?

"...burnt rubber..." is a direct quote from a 3.5* Untappd review. People are loving weird.

I honestly want to be all conspiratorial and say Jean didn't bottle this one because it's hosed up, but I can't imagine him doing something that dishonest.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

funkybottoms posted:

that's usually the way of things. as for the tldr, not on my account- i enjoyed your World Cup beers thread and it's nice to see discussion of a different scene from time-to-time (even if i get mildly bummed that i can't drink most of what you're talking about)

my coworker said it was terrible, but cool for the five seconds they showed of actual brewery work because "something i do is on TV!"

Glad you enjoyed it! :D Sorry about never being able to finish World Cup beers, when SA was down for 3-5 days playing catch up on 20 or so beers was kind of a nightmare with each day having 2-4 more added on. :(

And hopefully sometime a lot more of the micro/craft scene here starts exporting to US and vice versa. :) Plum Porters are a massive thing over here past couple of years and they are pretty amazing, Titanic Plum Porter, Ashley Down Plum Porter etc! :)

Is there any beers in this list you'd or anyone else recommend I check out at GBBF? http://beer.gbbf.org.uk/index.php/beerlist/filterlist?USA=1#results

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I got no nail polish remover, nor did my girlfriend, and we really liked it ... weird.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Vertigo posted:

I haven't had it yet, but from what I've heard from a few friends it's....just ok. The consensus seems to be that it is a bit muddled right now and could use some time. Which is really a shame because I had Black Butte XXV on tap last Saturday and the stuff was awesome (it was just as awesome fresh too).

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Fluo posted:

Is there any beers in this list you'd or anyone else recommend I check out at GBBF? http://beer.gbbf.org.uk/index.php/beerlist/filterlist?USA=1#results

Ballast Point Sculpin, Boulevard Love Child #4 & Tank 7, Founder's Porter, North Coast Old Rasputin, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, every single Victory beer

Jack's Abby BA Framinghammer, Stone RuinTEN

That's what jumped off the page as some of the 'best of' American styles to me.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

^knew somebody would beat me/include many of the same beers.

for Stone, i believe Loonytoad Quack mentioned getting fresh shipments very recently, so i don't know if that would be a priority or not, and while it's a ubiquitous good beer, Old Rasputin likely isn't very distinct from a lot of things that are normally available. not saying they're bad, of course, just that they might not be as high-priority. Bigfoot, though, is a prime example of an American Barleywine, meaning it's basically a malty DIPA without a few years on it.

Fluo posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! :D Sorry about never being able to finish World Cup beers, when SA was down for 3-5 days playing catch up on 20 or so beers was kind of a nightmare with each day having 2-4 more added on. :(

yeah, i know, the shutdown killed it, i don't blame you for how it ended.

as for GBBF, let's see how many people beat me to posting...

first, skip Shipyard, White Birch, and Abita

from my neck of the woods...
-3 Brothers Drift is a nice citra pale ale/session IPA
-COTU's Ray-Ray is kind of whatever, but it's made down the road from me!
-Port City Porter- one of my favorites, reminds me a bit of Fuller's

otherwise...
-Ballast Point Sculpin, Fort George 3-Way, and Green Flash IPA are good, well, west coast IPAs
-Deschutes is bringing all good stuff, especially Fresh-Squeezed on draught
-Boulevard Tank 7 is one of the best widely-released American saisons. reviews are mixed on the latest Love Child, but numbers 2 and 3 were great
-DFH 90min if you've never had it for the educational aspect (as it is certainly the base of a goodly-sized branch of the family tree)
-Founders Porter is another year-round favorite of mine, although it's a bit richer than is typical for the style. Mayflower Porter is a bit more on the nose and will probably be familiar to you (in its Englishness), but drat, it's good
-Odell is a generally solid brewery and Myrcenary gets talked up quite a bit, but i'm not sure about the others
-Victory is another solid brewery that is bringing a few beers beloved ITT. Prima Pils is considered one of the better American takes on the style
-Jacks Abby BA Framinghammer is something you could do worse than get drunk off of. poo poo is delicious and something you should put way up on your list if you like dark, barrel-aged beers.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 31, 2014

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
There's some yahoo on Craigslist trying to sell two tickets to the Mills River beer camp event this Sunday for $350. Surprisingly enough that's the only one I've seen trying to sell tickets. It's gonna be a shitshow for sure.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Agree with everything that FB said on otherwise for GBBF, I have some more input:

Block 15/Fort George/Boneyard 3-way is the best IPA I have had in years, and possibly all time. Easily outclasses beers like THA (sorry danbanana), Yellow Rose, RPM, Nelson, Blind Pig, Sculpin, all those big names. I have no hesitation saying this since I've gone through cases of the stuff. Even if it's from the May batch, it still blows away 90% of the IPA's out there. This is never going to be made again supposedly but even PNW ipa snobs are going nuts over it.

3 way, Jack's Abby Framinghammer, and La Cumbre Project Dank would be my top 3 must-drink beers on that list.

I'd also add:
DFH Festina Peche if you are looking for an intro to sours
Elysian Avatar Jasmine has a pretty neat fragrance and worth trying just for that
No-Li stuff is solid, can't go wrong with them
Wasatch Devastator is a good take on a doppelbock by an American brewery
Victory: definitely prima pils, and grab Dirtwolf if you need exposure to mosaic IPA's

e: Duh I didn't see Love Child 4, of course get that too since I can't imagine that being readily available over there.

e2: I also looked at the list including the Europe offerings and the loons .. :staredog:

air- fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 31, 2014

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Vertigo posted:

This has probably been my least favorite year, just not a lot of bourbon and thinner than previous years. I just opened a bottle of XXIV and it was much better. Still, I usually grab two bottles, drink one fresh, and throw the other in the cellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Sirotan posted:

You can stream the full episodes here if you are morbidly curious: http://www.history.com/shows/dark-horse-nation

I've been meaning to check it out, because I love their beer. I've also been amazed at how awful their graphic design is relative to how good what they make is.

For what it's worth a) everything the history channel does sucks, b) most pro brewers I've met are at least a little bit tedious, and c) Marshall really is rear end in a top hat, MI. I keep meaning to stop by there but then I remember that Bell's is just down the way and go there instead because the rotating taps are almost always amazing and never bottled.