Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The track is alright, but its a bunch of straights with signs for the turns that show up way too late to brake in time.

I also upped the boost on the 98t. It's insane.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I recently, completely out of the blue, got really into racing games. Been playing iRacing for a few days now and I'm loving it. But I'm playing with a 360 controller and even though I did manage to finish third in an oval race that was mostly due to the fact that people drive like retards in the rookies series. Everybody recommends the G27 wheel but that seems a bit overkill for me. Especially since it costs around $430(!) in Sweden. Any other cheaper options? I don't really care whether it has a clutch and a gearbox and all that fancy stuff. I just want a decent wheel with force feedback.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Driving Force GT, if that thing is still available. Decent wheel, but meh pedals. I guess it doesn't matter for the throttle, but the G27 brake pedal is pretty stiff, which makes a difference in my opinion. The DFGT pedals are like jelly.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Driving Force GT, if that thing is still available. Decent wheel, but meh pedals. I guess it doesn't matter for the throttle, but the G27 brake pedal is pretty stiff, which makes a difference in my opinion. The DFGT pedals are like jelly.

I had the DFGT before I had a G27. Back in the DFGT days I thought the pedals were just fine, but when I took the DFGT on a trip and tried it for the first time since the G27 purchase, I agree that they're no comparison to the G27. The DFGT is still more than fine for a first wheel.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

I had the DFGT before I had a G27. Back in the DFGT days I thought the pedals were just fine, but when I took the DFGT on a trip and tried it for the first time since the G27 purchase, I agree that they're no comparison to the G27. The DFGT is still more than fine for a first wheel.

precisely this. Driving Force GT is the perfect "beginner" wheel.

J-Pak
Jan 26, 2004

I'm from the phone company...
I used to play quite a bit of Live For Speed back in the day and looking to get back into sim racing. A couple of questions

-is it very unlikely that 997 or 991 will make their way to PC sims due to licensing? I have a 2012 Carrera S ideally I would love to drive that. Or similar non-turbo/GT/crazy tracked out edition. RUF track car in iRacing the closest I can get?

-any good forums for DIY plans on building a cockpit? The subforum at ISRTV is pretty dead.

J-Pak fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 21, 2014

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

J-Pak posted:

-any good forums for DIY plans on building a cockpit? The subforum at ISRTV is pretty dead.

There are multiple solid plans available online, depending on what material you want to use. I built mine out of PVC for easier dissassembly and movement, but there are many good wood plans also. ISR has reviewed a few, and most decent plans have been mentioned in those same forums. I'm guessing it's pretty dead because the haven't been any awesome brand new plans, as many of the good ones are a year or more old and people just modify those designs.

Look at all of the plans you can find though Google and ISR, and either pick one or combine the features you want into your own creation.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

J-Pak posted:

-is it very unlikely that 997 or 991 will make their way to PC sims due to licensing? I have a 2012 Carrera S ideally I would love to drive that. Or similar non-turbo/GT/crazy tracked out edition. RUF track car in iRacing the closest I can get?
Any game with an active mod scene should be drowning in community supplied Porsches if that's good enough for you, pretty sure both those are in rFactor and are bound to show up in the next gen mod-friendly sims soon enough.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seconding the DFGT recommendation. Playing at a normal computer desk, I actually found it to be more comfortable than my friend's G27, because the stiff break pedal always made me push back my chair :v: If you can do without a clutch pedal, it's definitely worth the money imo. (The G27s shifter-paddles are a lot nicer though)

J-Pak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhsLcjZDew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9eOHHUhMWo

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 22, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Back from a weekend away, and the 98t is insane. I have to use it at 50% or less boost to keep it on the track, but going in a straight line at 100% is something else.

The newest update of the cobra (.25) is more in line with what I imagine it to be, the throttle really kicks the back out, and the braking is more subdued (doesn't induce oversteer if you tap on them).

The updated multiplayer is an improvement, though there is a lot of work to do. Thanks to the new drop-in servers I was able to do a few laps of the ring tonight with some nice strangers (waiting when someone falls behind, a bit of drift mirroring, etc).

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
That screenshot almost makes me want to download it.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Back from a weekend away, and the 98t is insane. I have to use it at 50% or less boost to keep it on the track, but going in a straight line at 100% is something else.

The newest update of the cobra (.25) is more in line with what I imagine it to be, the throttle really kicks the back out, and the braking is more subdued (doesn't induce oversteer if you tap on them).

The updated multiplayer is an improvement, though there is a lot of work to do. Thanks to the new drop-in servers I was able to do a few laps of the ring tonight with some nice strangers (waiting when someone falls behind, a bit of drift mirroring, etc).

Which track is that?

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

looks like joux plane http://www.kegetys.fi/joux-plane-for-assetto-corsa-compatibility-update/

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Oops I posted in the wrong thread. Was supposed to post in the iRacing thread.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 22, 2014

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

That screenshot almost makes me want to download it.

Why don't you?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Fayez Butts posted:

Why don't you?

Well, I will eventually. I'm content for now and can wait for a later version of it. I'm less weird about it with tracks though. I just picked up the Nürburgring Nordschleife (oooh yesss) and the Fuji International Speedway.

Ah fudge it, I got the Cobra too. (Cobra file sizes are no joke, holy smokes.)

Edit: Gotta ask, is anyone else experiencing massive auto-clutch problems with the Lotus 98T? The Exo 125 performs well in this regard, but the 98T will at times stay in 6th gear while I'm braking hard. It pretty much always happens when I drop a ton of speed very quickly.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 23, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
It has arrived :v:

http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/reliant-robin-mk-1.2795/

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0YWRXJsMyM

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Couple of Assetto shots, the Cobra on Longford is brilliant fun

Detail is nice:

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 23, 2014

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Bwah ha ha you guys have to try this thing, it loses speed going up hills:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

This clip right here is what started my love for cars and sim-racing. I saw it on youtube and laughed my rear end off, which prompted me to watch as much Top Gear as I could get my hands on. Before seeing that clip cars were just a way to get to work. Passion grew and I ended up getting into sim-racing. Finally I get to "go back home" and drive the Robin myself.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

This clip right here is what started my love for cars and sim-racing. I saw it on youtube and laughed my rear end off, which prompted me to watch as much Top Gear as I could get my hands on. Before seeing that clip cars were just a way to get to work. Passion grew and I ended up getting into sim-racing. Finally I get to "go back home" and drive the Robin myself.

And now you can do:

Gaming rocks sometimes :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

peter gabriel posted:

Couple of Assetto shots, the Cobra on Longford is brilliant fun

Detail is nice:

How? It's nothing but a bunch of straights with a few corners. The brake markers are too close to the corner for how terrible the cobra's brakes are.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

How? It's nothing but a bunch of straights with a few corners. The brake markers are too close to the corner for how terrible the cobra's brakes are.

I just think the whole vibe of the track suits the car really well, that's all

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
I'm sure most (if not all) of you own Race 07/GTR Evolution by now, but PC Gamer is giving away free GTR Evo steam keys for a week.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/23/free-steam-key/

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tupacalypse posted:

I'm sure most (if not all) of you own Race 07/GTR Evolution by now, but PC Gamer is giving away free GTR Evo steam keys for a week.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/23/free-steam-key/

note: requires liking something on facebook.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
For more low power fun, try this 1995 Seat Ibiza; the most fun 13 minute ring lap... in the world.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Any Robin action videos yet? I won't be able to drive it for a while

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I was not expecting the Robin. I shall now go roll Robins a la Top Gear. Aaand I'll pick up Longford. Hard drive will soon be filled the work of modders, I expect.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I actually only own the base game of Race07. So a free expansion is always nice.

GutBomb posted:

note: requires liking something on facebook.

You like it and then unlike it and then also disable all facebook poo poo outside of facebook again.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Drunk Badger posted:

Any Robin action videos yet? I won't be able to drive it for a while

So yeah, I got lost my first time on the Langford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRSWXYkk1JU

I'll probably stick to cockpit view to avoid those horrible gear change sounds for the exterior. It's a silly, fun car to drive around.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jamfrost posted:

So yeah, I got lost my first time on the Langford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRSWXYkk1JU

I'll probably stick to cockpit view to avoid those horrible gear change sounds for the exterior. It's a silly, fun car to drive around.

That happened to me on that track too

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Beaten to it, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEZ59T8j44

I tried to do cleanish runs of JP, Nords, Akagi, not happening. :shepspends:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Beaten to it, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdEZ59T8j44

I tried to do cleanish runs of JP, Nords, Akagi, not happening. :shepspends:

You were so gentle with it, then the 2:00 minute mark hit and the Robin I know and love appeared.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

RIP Simbin :(

Although one of the guys who works there has posted in the comments section to say there is some sort of post-Simbin studio in the works, I guess we'll have to see what this means in the long run.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

At least it looks like they've got a new studio in mind. Speaking of SimBin, does anyone know of a good site for getting mods for Race 07/GTR Evo? I tried NoGripRacing but they require registering and some of the mods like the RMi Supercars mod aren't on there and scrounging the net for them is a pain.

I did find a FIA GT3 mod with a very loud and fun Ferrari though. And a 787B which is also very loud and fun to drive. :allears:

Edit: I really want Assetto Corsa at some point because it is getting some neat mods that apparently are causing the community to get pissed off for no good reason including straight up model rips from Forza

Zeether fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 31, 2014

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Zeether posted:

At least it looks like they've got a new studio in mind. Speaking of SimBin, does anyone know of a good site for getting mods for Race 07/GTR Evo? I tried NoGripRacing but they require registering and some of the mods like the RMi Supercars mod aren't on there and scrounging the net for them is a pain.

I did find a FIA GT3 mod with a very loud and fun Ferrari though. And a 787B which is also very loud and fun to drive. :allears:

Edit: I really want Assetto Corsa at some point because it is getting some neat mods that apparently are causing the community to get pissed off for no good reason including straight up model rips from Forza

NoGrip isnt too bad if youre not trying to replenish your supply of mods after reinstalling your operating system. For me, the 100 MB/day limit is far more bearable if I play the mods I download each day before downloading more. For Race07, theres also stuff like the french site "Sim Racing Evolution" but looking on their site they now require registration and their may not be any content for simbin games on it anymore (use google translate). Theres also F1 Classic, which you also need to register for but has a lot of content. Sim Racing World has some content, registration required. Race Department is the last one, no registration required but not much content for simbin games but they are making themselves the go to source for Assetto Corsa besides the offical forums.

On the flip side, in response to your last paragraph, I think the sim community is a bunch of whiny babies. If you, as a modder, put something on the internet you no longer have control of what happens to it. If someone wants to convert the 'player-made' content you made for another game to Assetto Corsa or another game, there isnt poo poo you can do about it. Let your creations flourish rather than stifling them based on some mis-guided sense of pride. If you dont like what someone did with your content then one-up them and do it better. I like Race Department for the attitude they have taken on this: if you are the original creator and ask for your content to be taken down, they will do it. They dont respond to the whiny baby community.

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 31, 2014

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The forza-ripped cars have also been straight dogshit conversions, completely incorrect physics, no animated gauges or working mirrors or anything. The evo I tried somehow broke itself before I could leave the pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Helicon One posted:

RIP Simbin :(

Although one of the guys who works there has posted in the comments section to say there is some sort of post-Simbin studio in the works, I guess we'll have to see what this means in the long run.

To be fair, SimBin's largely been dead since SMS split from them. Raceroom is dire and GTR3 we've had no news on forever.

Hopefully new management and a new studio will result in good things.

• Locked thread