Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A lot of stuff is 'temporarily out of stock', which is odd for stuff that has been available for years.

Im seeing the old runepriest in termie armour as the only thing being temporarily out of stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

I believe it's a character.

Unit Type
Vehicle (Walker, Character)

It's right there in the screenshot.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

Of this list I kept the Dragons, Scorpions and Falcon in reserve, with the six dragons mounted in the latter and the Scorpions outflanking. Outside this list I own a full squad of Swooping Hawks, one war walker and vyper each, an Avatar, and six Howling Banshees with an Executioner-armed Exarch. I don't own any Wave Serpents because when I collected (back in junior high) they were a fairly expensive Forge World kit not sold at my local GW. I don't plan to buy many more models, hence the look for tactical resources: I want to learn how to use my poo poo better, not acquire more of it.

Well, since you're not buying any more models, it's going to limit your options. You're restricted to a foot list which can be competitive but it's going to be difficult. I'm slightly confused by your list though, do you have 40 Guardians or 20 in two squads of 10?

Here is my advice:
- Drop the Autarch in favor of the Avatar with Fast Shot.
- Drop the Striking Scorpions in favor of the Swooping Hawks.
- Give your Dark Reaper Exarch an Eldar Missile Launcher
- Give the second Guardian squad a Bright Lance
- Drop the Runes of Witnessing for the Spirit Stones which reduce the magic level of a power.

The Avatar will give you a Fearless bubble as well as some toughness, short-ranged AT, and CC support. The Striking Scorpions will never make it across the board on foot without a Wave Serpent so you're better off using the points elsewhere. The Swooping Hawks will give you some dynamic support, especially against Tau Fire Warriors (that large blast template will ignore cover and punches through their armor). Start them on the board and Skyleap turn 1 in order to automatically come in wherever you want turn 2. Your Reaper Exarch is a bit out of sync with his squad (which is nice if you can keep them alive), the EML will give him Starshot as well.

The Farseer should be rolling on Telepathy. Invisibility or Shrouding will be invaluable to you. The Dire Avengers should be up front with their 5+ invuln. The warlock boosted Guardians behind them for the 5+ cover (3+ with Conceal). Invisibility should be targeted either at your Dark Reapers or your Falcon (if Fire Dragons are still inside, if not then Fire Dragons). Shrouding is much shorter ranged is redundant with the Warlocks but could help your Dire Avengers if close enough and if they're moving from cover to cover. So it depends where you put your Farseer. You have to decide if you want your Farseer moving forward with the troops/Avatar because then you want to guarantee he has Pyschic Shriek, if not, then you may want to sacrifice the Psychic Focus and roll on telepathy twice then take a roll on Divination and grab Prescience if you don't like the result for your third power. The Reapers would benefit from a few powers from Divination, notably Forewarning and Prescience.

I think it'd be a lot more competitive but you're still going to have problems against Tau as they will (mostly) out-range you and are pretty much a stand and shoot army which you're trying to close against.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trying to get Invisibility on your Avatar is another good choice. You should definitely be going Telepathy, there's several Psychic Powers there that are devastating to Tau.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

You have an impressive bits box.

It took nearly half an hour to find the shield and spear, and along the way I found half a Sevrin Loth, Enkomi's body, and enough special character heads and limbs to field an Unbound army of Chapter Masters.

And yet I don't have enough legs to fill out a tactical squad :negative:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

And yet I don't have enough legs to fill out a tactical squad :negative:

Dude my box is exactly the same, there's NEVER enough legs!

I've got like 50 torsos, 100 back packs and countless heads and arms, but like... 5 legs. :smith:

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
So I got sick of waiting for the GW store to re-stock their Lord of change model or release a new on, so I made my own:

Here is the head I went with.

The main body (with a proto-type herald of Slannesh in the background).

The wings and robes.

I made him out of a combination of this guy: http://www.happyhentoys.com/38901.html

And of this thing: http://www.happyhentoys.com/papo-dinosaurs-and-prehistoric-55034-archeoptaryx.html

Overall it cost me significantly less then what I would of paid usually and it was really fun to put the whole thing together. Granted it is a little bigger than the standard model but so are the forge world greater deamons, so I don't care.

What do you think?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Absolutely amazing and inventive.

:golfclap:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

Good Stuff

Thanks, a lot of this is excellent advice. And yeah, I accept that sticking to my existing models limits me, but foregoing those Wave Serpents leaves more room on the list for my precious aspect warriors. The advice on psychic powers is particularly useful; I'd planned to stick with the Codex discipline, aside from possibly going full Malefic Daemonology some time(thank you errata). Telepathy does indeed look like it could unsettle the Tau tremendously. The one piece I'd contest is the contention that Striking Scorpions are unlikely to make it across the board. Deployed in reserve, and emerging onto the board with the benefit of Outflank and Move Through Cover, they've easily been the outstanding Tau-fighting unit in my army so far. It could simply be that I'm a relative noob playing against the same, but I've yet to have trouble getting them into assault the same turn they enter the board and once they're stuck in they absolutely devour the enemy; kroot, fire warriors, even a Riptide once.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zeal posted:

Thanks, a lot of this is excellent advice. And yeah, I accept that sticking to my existing models limits me, but foregoing those Wave Serpents leaves more room on the list for my precious aspect warriors. The advice on psychic powers is particularly useful; I'd planned to stick with the Codex discipline, aside from possibly going full Malefic Daemonology some time(thank you errata). Telepathy does indeed look like it could unsettle the Tau tremendously. The one piece I'd contest is the contention that Striking Scorpions are unlikely to make it across the board. Deployed in reserve, and emerging onto the board with the benefit of Outflank and Move Through Cover, they've easily been the outstanding Tau-fighting unit in my army so far. It could simply be that I'm a relative noob playing against the same, but I've yet to have trouble getting them into assault the same turn they enter the board and once they're stuck in they absolutely devour the enemy; kroot, fire warriors, even a Riptide once.

That's true, but they aren't allowed to assault out of reserve. They're an exceptional CC unit, but like most exceptional CC units in these last couple of editions, the getting there intact part is the problem.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

Absolutely amazing and inventive.

:golfclap:

Cheers, have to figure out how to make a Greater daemon of nurgle now though.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boon posted:

That's true, but they aren't allowed to assault out of reserve. They're an exceptional CC unit, but like most exceptional CC units in these last couple of editions, the getting there intact part is the problem.

Ah, then my friend and I have been playing wrong! Glad I learned here. If that's the case then yeah, I could see myself dropping them in lieu of the Hawks no problem.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The wings and robes.

That is completely delightful and I whole heartedly advocate doing cool things with far cheaper minis that still look awesome. Praise be to Raptor Jesus Of Change. :h:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone who is better at GIFS than me has to take those pictures and intermix them in place of Raptor Jesus.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Cheers, have to figure out how to make a Greater daemon of nurgle now though.

Just pile poo poo on a monster base, carve a smiley face into it and call it done. Maybe add some twigs for antlers if you want to go all out.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Let me get this straight... GW spent four million pounds on a website that still can't detect what country I am in?
How on Earth can anyone think that GW are fiscally responsible after reading that investor's report?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/News/FORGE_WORLD_BULLETIN_26.html

We've seen both these before but I like this angle for the Iron Warrior contemptor and is pushing me in that direction, away from Salamanders. Just give me Tyrant Siege terminators.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nope.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 31, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

HiveCommander posted:

Let me get this straight... GW spent four million pounds on a website that still can't detect what country I am in?
How on Earth can anyone think that GW are fiscally responsible after reading that investor's report?

Pretty sure it's been found out that a significant part of that was actually the attempt to hide expenditures on something else stupid that they did (maybe the lawsuit?) and that the actual price tag of the website was 0.9 million pounds.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

SRM posted:

People really like comparing units in a vacuum without regarding terrain, army composition, target priority, and so on. I made the mistake of visiting a blog yesterday because I wanted to remember what the Helbrute formations were, and he said every one of the formations was terrible because Tau could kill it quickly.

It's always worst case scenario all the time. "Dies to Tau Gunlines" is 40ks "this creature is bad because it dies to doom blade." This walker isn't an auto include in every SM list but it has a pretty wide niche and fills it quite well.
For the record the cultist mob formation makes helbrutes loving own

Magni posted:

Unit Type
Vehicle (Walker, Character)

It's right there in the screenshot.

I'm a stupid bitch idiot who can't read.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

JerryLee posted:

Pretty sure it's been found out that a significant part of that was actually the attempt to hide expenditures on something else stupid that they did (maybe the lawsuit?) and that the actual price tag of the website was 0.9 million pounds.

Some how yes, it actually was .9 Million pounds and they hid the expenditure by doing wizardy stuff.

Helbrute Murderpacks again, loving own awesomely especially if you play with Chaos Daemons being able to give a giant unit like that Invisibility or Forewarnings etc... is amazeballs. Plus you can take Soul Grinders in addition to it.

It's an awesome gently caress you, deal with this.

The squad that Deep Strikes is pretty awesome as well but it's not a vehicle unit.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 31, 2014

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So just got my copy of IA:4 2.0 and its hilarious that the pictures they use of the dimachaeron look like that initial WIP, and not the new one.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
BULBASAUR, how many Vindicators is too many Vindicators in a Iron Warriors 30k list?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

BULBASAUR, how many Vindicators is too many Vindicators in a Iron Warriors 30k list?

You can calculate 'too many vindicators for iron warriors' by a simple formula:

Too Many Vindicators = (x/y)+1, where:
x= The army points cost limit for Iron Warriors
y= points cost of a Vindicator plus Siege Shield.

Never not enough S10AP2 ordinance big blasts!

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Do you have a mini-guide on how you painted these guys up? They're awesome.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Greyish Orange posted:

i too would like your formula for that leathery brown

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Sharzak posted:

People always say 'these units will get shot before they get into assault!' whenever a good assault unit comes out, and that may or may not be true but eventually there has to be a critical mass of these things that enough won't get shot in time before the melee slaughterfest happens. Would love to drop pod a couple somethings like this into a Tau gunline. too bad I don't play space marines.

The problem with them isn't generally that they die when shot, because that is true of all units; the problem is that they often lack a good delivery method whilst having a poor cost-to-survivability ratio. Stuff like Penitent Engines is a perfect example- it's like a perfect storm of fragile, slow, and expensive and it's never going to get into combat with anything. The new Murderfang potentially has a leg up here because he isn't too expensive and can get a Drop Pod- however, AV12 is still just AV12 and he's very vulnerable to being Stunned/Immobilized or just wrecked during that one turn he arrives. Practically every army brings ways to kill AV12 these days because of Wave Serpents, and anything that can realistically hurt a Serpent will absolutely annihilate that guy, hence the potential problem.

I'm not saying he's not viable, but it's certainly something to keep in mind there. He does put out a ton of attacks (6-8 on the charge) that will generally hit on 3s, which is pretty scary.

Sykic posted:

When did people start thinking Maulerfiends are good? I was under the impression most people hated them. I've yet to see one actually cause any damage and an immobilised Maulerfiend being all "Guys? I'm relevant! Honest!" in the middle of the table is a remarkably common sight around here. Is it a 7th thing?

Maulerfiends have been decent for a long while now, but the improvements to vehicles in general and walkers in particular help them out a decent bit. There's also the fact that the Heldrake was significantly nerfed, meaning more FA slots available for units to support them (Spawn/Bikes, etc.) I know several guys who have been running Maulerfiends since early 6th with varying degrees of success.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know a lot of people say that Dark Angels are terrible, what is it exactly that makes them so bad?

Mostly it's that they are purely inferior to vanilla Space Marines- their bikes are more expensive and have fewer rules, their army-wide rule is significantly worse (Stubborn + can't autofail < Chapter Tactics) and their unique units are almost universally inferior to the ones SM get access to. Then add in a lack of anti-air options, subpar relics, weak special characters needed to unlock the functional builds and a smattering of other small factors and you have a codex that really doesn't do anything particularly well.

That isn't wholly true, since Deathwing lists and Banner of Devastation lists both can do fairly alright, but for the most part any army constructed using DA can be built better using SM.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

HiveCommander posted:

They posted £4 million under exceptional expenditures. Which everyone took to be the website because they didn't read more than the first page. And since the stock still hasn't plummeted, and instead gone up, I imagine their investors also read past the first page.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 31, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

They posted £4 million under exceptional expenditures. Which everyone took to be the website because they didn't read more than the first page. And since the stock still hasn't plummeted, and instead gone up, I imagine their investors also read past the first page.

Let's be fair, they took it to be the website because the acting CEO straight up said it was the website.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JerryLee posted:

Let's be fair, they took it to be the website because the acting CEO straight up said it was the website.

Weirdly, that bits been changed on his pre-amble now to clarify.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

HiveCommander posted:

Yeah this poo poo is hilarious.

It's the only website that keeps telling me I'm in Canada most times I visit, when I'm in the UK. Money well spent!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Their investors at this point pretty much consisting of Kirby, his family, a bunch of his fellow GW execs, and some of those companies that invest on behalf of others that you never quite know just who they're investing for. :v:

E: also even if they spent 0.9 million quid on that website it is roughly about £700,000 more than they should've spent, considering what they got for it (see also: previous poster's quote about the site being unable to do basic things like "Detect Country" :rolleyes:)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
And GW won't let anyone else sell their product online with a cart system. I have to wonder why they bother with the stores and the webstore at all - wouldn't they run a lot leaner without all the fluff and just stand on sales of models? Let people who can actually manage stores and websites push your product, they're better at it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bavius posted:

And GW won't let anyone else sell their product online with a cart system. I have to wonder why they bother with the stores and the webstore at all - wouldn't they run a lot leaner without all the fluff and just stand on sales of models? Let people who can actually manage stores and websites push your product, they're better at it.

GW is slowly shrinking to the point where they're going to pretty much be a UK-only company within a few years. They've pretty much abandoned Australia/NZ, USA/Canada is next, and Europe will probably start getting pretty iffy for them as well before too long.

The sad part is, shrinking and re-entrenching themselves as a UK-only company isn't actually the worst thing they could do, since they could save a fair bit of money by closing down their retail operations in other countries. The problem is if the shareholders would be OK with that, or if they would revolt (because going from being the global market leader in plastic mans wargaming to the equivalent of running the corner hobby shop is definitely not anyone's idea of growing and expanding your market).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Let Hasbro buy the drat company and either replace or train the design team.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mango Polo posted:

Let Hasbro buy the drat company and fire every single member of current GW management. Get rid of Mat Ward too. Everyone else can stay.

Fixed that for ya. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Seriouspost, from what I can see Mat Ward isn't at all a salient problem with GW anymore (if he ever was). His sins are writing Mary Sues and making some codices that seem too strong relative to others, but the latter is more of a problem of GW's piecemeal approach to design and could easily be reformulated as a problem of other authors being too lovely to write codices that can keep up with the Wardian ones. In any case, any wrongdoings committed by Mat Ward seem like kiddie league at this point. Feel free to weigh in if you disagree, but from where I'm sitting it seems like ages since Ward was the figurehead for GW pissing on its customers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Seriouspost, from what I can see Mat Ward isn't at all a salient problem with GW anymore (if he ever was). His sins are writing Mary Sues and making some codices that seem too strong relative to others, but the latter is more of a problem of GW's piecemeal approach to design and could easily be reformulated as a problem of other authors being too lovely to write codices that can keep up with the Wardian ones. In any case, any wrongdoings committed by Mat Ward seem like kiddie league at this point. Feel free to weigh in if you disagree, but from where I'm sitting it seems like ages since Ward was the figurehead for GW pissing on its customers.

Yeah, in all honesty his sins in terms of fluff are relatively minor (because, after all, you can just ignore it if you really want). As you say, the problems are with GW's attitude overall and that's not something you can solely blame a guy like Ward for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Their investors at this point pretty much consisting of Kirby, his family, a bunch of his fellow GW execs, and some of those companies that invest on behalf of others that you never quite know just who they're investing for. :v:

E: also even if they spent 0.9 million quid on that website it is roughly about £700,000 more than they should've spent, considering what they got for it (see also: previous poster's quote about the site being unable to do basic things like "Detect Country" :rolleyes:)

Kirby owns 16% The rest is owned by large pension investment firms. The kind of investment people that are very risk averse so that they are sticking with GW should say a lot.

Bavius posted:

This is only in the US, and is a problem in US law that its allowed to happen. You can see GW products online with a cart system all you want everywhere else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Greyish Orange posted:

Cataphract posted:

i too would like your formula for that leathery brown

I probably should have written it down as I did it since I have a couple dozen other models to do too. I think it went something like this -

1) Prime grey (Army Painter spray)
2) Basecoat Rakarth Flesh (Dheneb Stone)
3) Light Devlan Mud wash into crevices/shadows etc
4) One light layer of Seraphim Sepia all over
5) Highlights in Rakarth Flesh (or 2:1 Bleached Bone to Rakarth if you like harder edges)
6) Heavy wash of Seraphim Sepia all over

You can sort of see on the toes, the winged shoulder pad & the shield where my Rakarth highlights are, so if you wanted lighter just do the Bleached Bone mix and use thinner strokes.

The red is pretty easy -

Basecoat Mechrite, Blood Red highlights, then thin layer of Sepia wash to blend together.

Cape -

Basecoat Mechrite, very watered down Scab Red blended into the deepest folds, very watered down Blood Red blended onto the highest bits, light Sepia wash pulled into the creases and folds to add a bit extra shadow.

Had to clean up the inside of the cape but I'll post the back which looks really nice later.

• Locked thread