Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

The fact that this goes negative makes me think it must be solar radiance minus black body radiation from the earth itself. But that would also mean it's not a very good guide to the productivity of solar power, since only the former figure would be relevant for that.

This. You can't draw any conclusion regarding solar power feasibility from this animation (which doesn't negate the fact that solar power is not a good option for certain places on earth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

CombatInformatiker posted:

This. You can't draw any conclusion regarding solar power feasibility from this animation (which doesn't negate the fact that solar power is not a good option for certain places on earth).

That's why it's handy to compare installed capacity with power generated. 10% capacity factor. Alanis Morrissette could write an entire stanza about how Germany's quest for renewables has led to an increase coal capacity.

I mean, australia's population density is like single digits per square mile and it gets a ton of sun, great combination. Germany's people/sq mile is over 600 and their sun is really bad. If they really want to save the environment, just save all the money you'd spend building up that infrastructure locally and instead ship and build it somewhere useful like India. Help their grid out while you're at it, Germany. There, you're saving the world more efficiently. Good job.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

ohgodwhat posted:

Just with regards to making a viral video, adding a bunch of "choices" at the end based on various plans might seem to be good educationally, but I wonder if it might make it less effective - paralysis of choice and all that. Essentially, I think it raises doubt in the message. I bet there's a way to honestly convey the possibilities without distracting from your point.

Sorry if I was unclear again, they're not different plans for energy generation, they're different plans for different areas - transport, land use, buildings, etc. Energy generation is just one part of their research, and I think it's worth mentioning the others.

quote:

save all the money you'd spend building up that infrastructure locally and instead ship and build it somewhere useful like India. Help their grid out while you're at it, Germany. There, you're saving the world more efficiently. Good job.

Oh man, that's actually a pretty good idea.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hobo Erotica posted:

Oh man, that's actually a pretty good idea.

Maybe for an NGO or a venture capitalist, but it'd be completely irresponsible for a nation-state that is nominally beholden to its citizens.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kaal posted:

Maybe for an NGO or a venture capitalist, but it'd be completely irresponsible for a nation-state that is nominally beholden to its citizens.

One planet, brother.

Literally I mean. As in, if Germany is trying to lower the carbone pollution produced by their energy generation for its effect on the global climate, that money would perform much better in India.

For the local particulate emissions, yeah ok maybe they should keep it in Germany.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

One planet, brother.

Literally I mean. As in, if Germany is trying to lower the carbone pollution produced by their energy generation for its effect on the global climate, that money would perform much better in India.

For the local particulate emissions, yeah ok maybe they should keep it in Germany.

Actually I think Germany's poor insolation might still be a best use of money than funneling it into India's corrupt bureaucracy. But we're in fairy land anyway.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hobo Erotica posted:

One planet, brother.

One planet, but millions of people. Those national governments exist to look after the collective interests of those people, and taking German taxpayer's dollars to build windmills in India directly conflicts with German economic and environmental interests. The only way I could see something like what you're suggesting being considered would be if there was some sort of international cap-and-trade program, that emphasized an overall reduction in emissions or increase in energy efficiency.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Kaal posted:

One planet, but millions of people. Those national governments exist to look after the collective interests of those people, and taking German taxpayer's dollars to build windmills in India directly conflicts with German economic and environmental interests. The only way I could see something like what you're suggesting being considered would be if there was some sort of international cap-and-trade program, that emphasized an overall reduction in emissions or increase in energy efficiency.

Building solar in Germany also conflicts directly with Germany's economic and environmental interests.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

One planet, brother.

But since Germany coal consumption has been growing, decreasing carbon pollution is apparently not a major goal

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Tokamak posted:

Because it will. I don't know if your Australian or not, but even the mining of Uranium is a contentious issue. Some people don't even like the fact we operate a research/industrial reactor. People barely give a poo poo about the detrimental impacts of coal. We had a coal mine fire recently that caused toxic smoke to pass over population centres for a month. It had readily observable health impacts, yet no order was given to evacuate those towns, and the government made every effort to make it appear like it was no big deal.

I've lived in Brisbane for 20 years+ and now Melbourne for 2 years+. I don't see any sort of the entrenched hostility that is constantly referred to by people like QM or Hobo. Might have something to do with the fact that they are constantly surrounded by Greens who are extremely anti-nuclear.

I've said it before in this thread and the AusPol thread, we need a mixture of energy technologies. Sure, push them separately, however, sitting there and saying 'nuclear power will never have any public support to generate the political will to implement it in Australia' is facetious and clearly falls into the same category of those who don't vote for the Greens because they are a minor party. The parallels are clear, but if you can't see that by yourself no one is ever going to be able to make you. At this point we should be pushing every and any alternate technology to fossil fuels, including things like BZE's renewable plan, and including nuclear power.

P.S. I know about 10x the amount of people who think, if elected, the Greens would literally destroy Australia and have us living in caves in a matter of years than those who oppose nuclear power.

P.P.S. I vote Greens. Just hate the anti-nuclear idiots that run most of the party. Still not enough to get me to vote for anyone else though...

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

blacksun posted:

I've lived in Brisbane for 20 years+ and now Melbourne for 2 years+. I don't see any sort of the entrenched hostility that is constantly referred to by people like QM or Hobo. Might have something to do with the fact that they are constantly surrounded by Greens who are extremely anti-nuclear.

Ah yes, growing up and living in Western Sydney, the beating heart of inner-city elitism, I have constantly found myself surrounded by Greens. I've been a member of the party for just over two years and have really pretty much had to seek interaction with Greens. Nuclear, though? Immediate NIMBYism. Jesus, I know people who didn't want to take a manufacturing job in a different part of ANSTO because of the reactor.

Polling generally shows 40-60% oppose nuclear power in Australia. Support hovers at about 20-30%.

e: in the interests of full disclosure, it was getting slightly better in the last few years. Then Fukushima happened. Support dropped like a stone.

blacksun posted:

The parallels are clear, but if you can't see that by yourself no one is ever going to be able to make you.

If the argument against nuclear power was "We don't support nuclear power because we're never going to build nuclear in Australia because we don't support nuclear power..." you might have a point.

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 31, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Update your fact sheets, hydro is now less than 50% of renewables in the US: http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=17351

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

Update your fact sheets, hydro is now less than 50% of renewables in the US: http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=17351

I'm not surprised, hydro is pretty tapped out and it's terrible for the environment (less than fossil fuels but worse than anything else).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

I'm not surprised, hydro is pretty tapped out and it's terrible for the environment (less than fossil fuels but worse than anything else).

Yeah as the charts show its more about the rise of non-hydro renewables and less about hydro changing.

Also interesting to note that non-hydro renewables have less seasonal variability than hydro-renewables at scales this large.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd like to see other baseload sources charted alongside hydropower, it seems to be following a regular pattern of demand.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'd like to see other baseload sources charted alongside hydropower, it seems to be following a regular pattern of demand.

Hydro is rarely dispatchable. Instead its likely following seasonal water discharge requirements. However, I'm sure the EIA has the chart you're interested somewhere.

Edit:

quote:

Hydropower capacity has increased by slightly more than 1% over the past decade, although actual hydropower generation can vary noticeably by season depending on water supply conditions

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are those real renewables or is that also counting burning biogas or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

It seems like it's counting biomass but most of the growth is in wind & solar.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Biogas is a renewable and if you are burning sewer or landfill gas you have a lower greenhouse gas limit because the gases are worse greenhouse gases than the carbon emitted by burning them.

quote:

The recent growth in wind and solar, which reflects policies such as state renewable portfolio standards and federal tax credits as well as declining costs of technology, has been the primary driver in the increasing market share of nonhydro renewable generation. There also has been growth in geothermal and biomass sources.

Edit: that study also excludes all consumer solar so renewables are likely higher.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 2, 2014

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Not a graph but all the data

http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/monthly/pdf/sec7_5.pdf

First 4 months of 2014 totals (rounding off, TWh)
hydro 88
biomass 19.8
geothermal 5.4
solar 4.6
wind 68.5

Looks like over the past two decades hydro has been fairly constant, it's natural gas that has really taken off, plus wind power.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

Hydro is rarely dispatchable. Instead its likely following seasonal water discharge requirements. However, I'm sure the EIA has the chart you're interested somewhere.

Edit:

Many large scale hydro facilities are capable of reducing number of turbines in operation for long terms. Some were even designed with the intention that certain turbines would be allocated to specific towns' needs (the Hoover Dam had this for a few Arizona towns before things were switched all to feed into the grid).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like SONGS is going to cost $4.2 Billion to dismantle: http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/business/san-onofre-nuclear-power-plant-dismantling-will-cost-4-4-billion-take-20-years-1.1273679

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

That's in the ballpark of the build cost. Nuclear is still cheaper than renewables in most places even if it costs twice the build cost. See: That Finnish clusterfuck of an EPR build.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Are the decade-long dismantling times I often see just waiting for the isotopes in the pressure vessel to decay?
News articles always make it seem as if it was a fulltime project.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

That's in the ballpark of the build cost. Nuclear is still cheaper than renewables in most places even if it costs twice the build cost. See: That Finnish clusterfuck of an EPR build.

I never mentioned renewables, just brought up the latest figures of the teardown since the operator hadn't posted any yet. It is in the ballpark for most expensive teardown in the US though.

Lurking Haro posted:

Are the decade-long dismantling times I often see just waiting for the isotopes in the pressure vessel to decay?
News articles always make it seem as if it was a fulltime project.

When Rancho Seco was prematurely shut down they needed to built a gas-fired power plant just to supply power for the dismantling operating. Mainly fans, pumps and the like.

I think there's a lot of "well we're going to have to wait XX years anyway so why go fast". It wasn't too long ago when they finally finished decommissioning Humbolt Bay. Why hire more people to get it done faster when you're going to need a minimum number of people for a long time anyway?

Edit: I'm not finding a good source for the rancho-seco power plant, but I'll have a source in a while.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 4, 2014

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I never mentioned renewables, just brought up the latest figures of the teardown since the operator hadn't posted any yet. It is in the ballpark for most expensive teardown in the US though.

Yeah, I brought up renewables since I was reminded of some NIMBY objections over the soon-to-come German Energiewende nuclear teardowns because :supaburn:concrete used somewhere in a nuclear power plant building:supaburn: won't go in caskets but into building roads or whatever.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 4, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

Yeah, I brought up renewables since I was reminded of some NIMBY objections over the soon-to-come German Energiewende nuclear teardowns because :supaburn:concrete used somewhere in a nuclear power plant building:supaburn: won't go in caskets but into building roads or whatever.

I have a paper model of the Finnish EPR and I'm gong to finish the model before the actual reactor comes online.

I have only built the ancillary support building.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

I have a paper model of the Finnish EPR and I'm gong to finish the model before the actual reactor comes online.

I have only built the ancillary support building.

Heh, it's the vaporware amongst nuclear power plants.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Using the 'political reality' argument has always struck me as particularly disingenuous, or at least ignorant. If we honestly want to talk about what is likely to happen in the near future based on the likely political climate then we pretty much have to admit that catastrophic global warming is inevitable. Taking this attitude, of course, is worthless, so what you should do is advocate for what you believe in and change the political reality to a better one.

so yeah, i think you should advocate for nuclear power even if it is unpopular because it is probably the best chance to unfuck ourselves from global warming

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

Using the 'political reality' argument has always struck me as particularly disingenuous, or at least ignorant. If we honestly want to talk about what is likely to happen in the near future based on the likely political climate then we pretty much have to admit that catastrophic global warming is inevitable. Taking this attitude, of course, is worthless, so what you should do is advocate for what you believe in and change the political reality to a better one.

so yeah, i think you should advocate for nuclear power even if it is unpopular because it is probably the best chance to unfuck ourselves from global warming

The problem becomes that both conversations of "what is going to happen realistically?" and "what should we do if I could wave a magic wand?" both end up kinda boring. If we talk about waving a magic wand, people just decide that some things are changeable with the magic wand (politics) but other things aren't (public opinion) or whatever. I'd use my magic wand powers to increase energy efficiency to maximum. Then we're arguing about two fantasies, neither of which are close to reality. On the flip side, arguing about reality is just depressing or smug as it ends with "well, we will see who is right in 2050! If we all still can afford electricity....".

edit: magic wand, not magic people.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 4, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem becomes that both conversations of "what is going to happen realistically?" and "what should we do if I could wave a magic wand?" both end up kinda boring. If we talk about waving a magic wand, people just decide that some things are changeable with the magic wand (politics) but other things aren't (public opinion) or whatever. I'd use my magic wand powers to increase energy efficiency to maximum. Then we're arguing about two fantasies, neither of which are close to reality. On the flip side, arguing about reality is just depressing or smug as it ends with "well, we will see who is right in 2050! If we all still can afford electricity....".

edit: magic wand, not magic people.

i'm not saying 'what should we wave a magic wand over' as much as 'what should we strive for.' just taking the political environment as an unshakable fait accompli seems like giving up the war before the first battle is fought.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm not saying 'what should we wave a magic wand over' as much as 'what should we strive for.' just taking the political environment as an unshakable fait accompli seems like giving up the war before the first battle is fought.

It might help to include an alternative solution that includes nuclear, so people can judge just how squeamish they are about it. They may oppose nuclear in the abstract, but seeing the actual price to be paid for no nukes may change some opinions.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Deteriorata posted:

It might help to include an alternative solution that includes nuclear, so people can judge just how squeamish they are about it. They may oppose nuclear in the abstract, but seeing the actual price to be paid for no nukes may change some opinions.

That's a good point. I was pro-renewable, ambivalent about nuclear (primarily because it still puts Americans in hock to countries with uranium ore) but then I saw the data about how expensive and difficult it would be to build near-zero carbon energy infrastructure without nuclear.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Radbot posted:

That's a good point. I was pro-renewable, ambivalent about nuclear (primarily because it still puts Americans in hock to countries with uranium ore) but then I saw the data about how expensive and difficult it would be to build near-zero carbon energy infrastructure without nuclear.

Yes, how terrible it would be to have to get uranium from such shady countries as Canada or Australia

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uranium reserves are slightly different (though by far the largest component is again Australia).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Just go with breeder reactors and run them off your existing waste.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yes, I agree that relying on other countries for materials needed for energy generation isn't optimal.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Really? That's a very bizarre opinion to have in today's interconnected world, particularly when talking about friendly countries like those two. There are far bigger concerns with respect to self sufficiency than that. besides that nuclear energy with uranium sourced from sea water extraction is probably the closest you will ever get to completely self sufficient energy production. Any other major source of clean energy requires you to rely on countries far more unstable than Canada.

Like there's never been a time when the us was even close to self sufficient nor has it ever been a thing that was even seriously considered. Getting off middle east oil? Sure. But nobody had ever seriously advocated not needing to rely on trade for energy.

tsa fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 4, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tsa posted:

Like there's never been a time when the us was even close to self sufficient nor has it ever been a thing that was even seriously considered. Getting off middle east oil? Sure. But nobody had ever seriously advocated not needing to rely on trade for energy.

The United States might actually approach energy self-suffciency and even become an energy exporter if* tight oil and shale gas extraction continues to grow and produce. EIA estimates are within the 2040-2050 timeframe.

*Obviously a big if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

Yes, I agree that relying on other countries for materials needed for energy generation isn't optimal.

If Canada ever turns against us, we'd have way bigger troubles than not having new uranium from them.