Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Istari posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to even pronounce Lakynn. My first response is to pronounce it lack-in. But that sounds exactly like lackin' and no parent would be that cruel or stupid.

Lake-in is pretty accurate.
I have the normal version of that name (Laken, which is also a pretty dumb name, but I didn't choose it).

If people have trouble with it I just tell them to pronounce it so it rhymes with bacon, which is close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

D Lambent posted:

One of the new hire girls at my job: Kanitrics (KUH-nee-TRICKS)

What the gently caress.

Tee hee, cunny tricks

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Istari posted:

I have absolutely no idea how to even pronounce Lakynn. My first response is to pronounce it lack-in. But that sounds exactly like lackin' and no parent would be that cruel or stupid.

I know a guy named Lakhan whose name is pronounced exactly like that.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Istari posted:

Maybe the baby's dad is a sailor ?

Or a moron.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Istari posted:

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

In my experience, definitely not.

I mean I'm sure there are some fine and intelligent navy dudes, but I have not met them yet.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
There's a girl that lives upstairs from me called Trishanthaa, who to her credit goes by Turtle so nobody has to spell that abomination.

Quint Gets Eaten
Apr 23, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

I misunderstood what you were asking and dug up this gem before realizing it wasn't what you meant, but here it is anyway

If you're going to give your kid a dumb name, make sure it's so completely balls-out insane that it's kind of awesome, like Dweezil or Moon Unit. I whole-heartedly support naming your kids something insane if you yourself are legitimately insane, but I can't stand white people who think they're unique by throwing a bunch of y's into a made-up name.

Actual content: a girl at my job took a group of boy scouts on a tour, and as a thank you they made her this cute card that they all signed. Most of the names were normal: Justin, Tyler, Matthew (though I think there was at least one Jaden), but one of the names appeared to be "Cosidae." I stood there staring at the card for several minutes trying to figure out if the kid couldn't spell his own name, or if that was the actual name his parents gave him.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

At the Ukranian food place... Porpby. the gently caress...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Wayne Gretzky posted:

At the Ukranian food place... Porpby. the gently caress...

The second generation of Duggars populates your world

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I once got some errant mail for a Thyzanne. It turned out I knew her. Everyone called her 'Sue'.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
I worked with a girl named Chyna. She was a tiny blonde haired blue eyed girl. She was also 16 and smoked a ton of weed and so did her parents.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Chyna the pro wrestler debuted in 1997. What year was this girl born?

Also, stuff.

I believe that I have now posted every weird name found on the internet. So I'll move onto unfortunately co-named couples getting married.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Aulyvia

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

sweeperbravo posted:

The second generation of Duggars populates your world

(click the ? below his avatar :ssh:)

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Turfahurf posted:

I worked with a girl named Chyna. She was a tiny blonde haired blue eyed girl. She was also 16 and smoked a ton of weed and so did her parents.

I went to high school with a girl who had the same name, but I think hers may have been spelled Chynna.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

(click the ? below his avatar :ssh:)

that's why I made that comment ;)

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Celery Face posted:

Is this it?

If writing her full name was one of the conditions for graduating preschool, this kid should be offered early admittance to Harvard.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

If writing her full name was one of the conditions for graduating preschool, this kid should be offered early admittance to Harvard.

I'm syrprised they didn't go for Kharryngtyn in the first name, that poor letter I looks so left out :(

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Turfahurf posted:

I worked with a girl named Chyna.

I too once knew a girl called Chyna (possibly Chynah), but it was pronounced ky-na.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I once met a Chyna at a college house party. She told me she thought my name is weird.

my name is Daniel

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

I once met a Chyna at a college house party. She told me she thought my name is weird.

my name is Daniel

Well, it ain't just a river in Agept

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

DStecks posted:

my name is Daniel

I can't wait until I'm 40 and some teenager named Ambigakaylynnnie scoffs "David, what an weirdo name."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support this trend of getting closer and closer to weird "Did I read about this dude killing a Roman Emperor or something?" sorta sounding names. Better than too many Ys.
"Curse you Adrianandious! Give me back my legions!" :argh:

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~

Say Nothing posted:

Chyna the pro wrestler debuted in 1997. What year was this girl born?

Well she's probably 17 tops now so safe to say way after Chyna the wrestler was around.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Turfahurf posted:

Well she's probably 17 tops now so safe to say way after Chyna the wrestler was around.

I think Say Nothing's angle is that she's named after Chyna, not that she is Chyna, seeing as the wrestler's real name is Joanie Laurer.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I support this trend of getting closer and closer to weird "Did I read about this dude killing a Roman Emperor or something?" sorta sounding names. Better than too many Ys.
"Curse you Adrianandious! Give me back my legions!" :argh:

The African-American community should keep up with this trend. Unlike whites who take last names or what were originally WASP-y first names and then bastardize the spelling, blacks just flat-out make up their own poo poo. But the boys' names always sound a ton better if you add "us" to the end of it, making it seem like the kid was a Roman general we've never heard of.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think Say Nothing's angle is that she's named after Chyna, not that she is Chyna, seeing as the wrestler's real name is Joanie Laurer.

There was also the singer/actress/John Phillips' daughter, Chynna Phillips. Spelled a little differently, but pronounced the same.

Count Freebasie has a new favorite as of 12:57 on Aug 1, 2014

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I think Turfahurf meant that as well in that comment

But it remains to be seen.

Count Freebasie posted:

The African-American community should keep up with this trend. Unlike whites who take last names or what were originally WASP-y first names and then bastardize the spelling, blacks just flat-out make up their own poo poo. But the boys' names always sound a ton better if you add "us" to the end of it, making it seem like the kid was a Roman general we've never heard of.

Honestly, the names that seem totally made up are much more pleasant to me than the names that are existing names/surnames run through a WAKKY-SPELLING filter. Of course sometimes you get a name that somehow falls into both categories, at which point whether I'm mad at the parents or not depends on the immediate pronouncability of the name.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

Honestly, the names that seem totally made up are much more pleasant to me than the names that are existing names/surnames run through a WAKKY-SPELLING filter. Of course sometimes you get a name that somehow falls into both categories, at which point whether I'm mad at the parents or not depends on the immediate pronouncability of the name.

I'm not sure about pleasant, but certainly more creative and entertaining. Most likely inspired by our Dark Lord, Satan. (12)

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Frankly, stereotypical "black people names" succeed the most at doing what names are supposed to be for, i.e. specifying an individual. Oprah. Beyonce. Kanye. Shaquille. Instantly, immediately recognizable. Who are Jimmy, Ronald, George, Bill, and George? (hint: you can figure it out, but it might take a minute or two.)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

DStecks posted:

Frankly, stereotypical "black people names" succeed the most at doing what names are supposed to be for, i.e. specifying an individual. Oprah. Beyonce. Kanye. Shaquille. Instantly, immediately recognizable. Who are Jimmy, Ronald, George, Bill, and George? (hint: you can figure it out, but it might take a minute or two.)

That's a really good point, honestly.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

DStecks posted:

Who are Jimmy, Ronald, George, Bill, and George? (hint: you can figure it out, but it might take a minute or two.)

That's the Beatles, right ?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's a good point but that does not stop "my child is unique!!" names from sounding loving stupid to pronounce out loud. If your name is an ancient puzzle or spell incantation and I have to unravel it syllable by syllable to pronounce it, your parents are assholes and you should be mad at them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

It's a good point but that does not stop "my child is unique!!" names from sounding loving stupid to pronounce out loud. If your name is an ancient puzzle or spell incantation and I have to unravel it syllable by syllable to pronounce it, your parents are assholes and you should be mad at them.

Howkass Powkass Alan McGowkass

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Phy posted:

Howkass Powkass Alan McGowkass

What kind of loving weirdo name is Alan?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fine old Raptorese name.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

DStecks posted:

You've got a point, but on the other hand, there are definitely 'white guy' names that fit that criterion too. Millard, Ulysses, and Rutherford, to name a few.

Dubh
Jan 16, 2009
I know a little blonde white chick named Shawunta, pronounced shaun-tay. she says but only did her mom give her "a black name but she even spelled it wrong."

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

You've got a point, but on the other hand, there are definitely 'white guy' names that fit that criterion too. Millard, Ulysses, and Rutherford, to name a few.

Those are names from literally a hundred years ago, though, so maybe they weren't nearly as distinctive in their day. (also you win)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

DStecks posted:

Those are names from literally a hundred years ago, though, so maybe they weren't nearly as distinctive in their day. (also you win)

Apropos of nothing, I'm pretty sure I'll see a Jayden in the House of Representatives in my lifetime and that really bums me out.