Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Has Elsie Tu really come out against Occupy Central? I thought she was supposed to be the champion of the disenfranchised working class. Or, as a Hong Kong friend who I recently had a huge argument with put it, the working class don't care about democracy when they can't even pay the rent.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Elsie Tu sold out to the commies 30 years ago.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Imperialist Dog posted:

Has Elsie Tu really come out against Occupy Central? I thought she was supposed to be the champion of the disenfranchised working class. Or, as a Hong Kong friend who I recently had a huge argument with put it, the working class don't care about democracy when they can't even pay the rent.

What kind of working class are we talking about? Most of HK are merchants. Does HK have any union besides the dock workers?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Confederation_of_Trade_Unions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Federation_of_Trade_Unions

There are boatloads of unions here. Some of them have to do with boats.

I think there are like 6 people who could be considered "merchants" in Hong Kong. The rest belong to either a managerial or labor class. Most are labor.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Street making GBS threads update. The eating mid street poo poo really makes this one.

http://therealsingapore.com/content/dear-trs-i-saw-prc-allowing-her-son-poo poo-publicly-outside-chinatown-mrt

quote:

Dear The Real Singapore,

Today I saw a PRC women allowing her son to poo poo publicly into a drain right beside Chinatown MRT station. This is very disturbing to me and I told her to bring her son to the toilet instead. However, she told me that I shouldn't tell her what to do and she say that there is nothing wrong for letting her son poo poo publicly into a drain.

She then started scolding me and saying about how Singaporeans think that they are very classy and always think that they are better than the PRCs. She say that PRCs are also human and that they also need to poo poo.

Worse of all after she let her son poo poo into the drain she threw the tissue paper she used to wipe her son buttocks all over the floor and just walk off! How is this kind of behaviour acceptable?

Is there a cultural clash or something? Recently I also see a video of a PRC women allowing her son to poo poo publicly in the streets of Hong Kong.

What would you do when you encounter this kind of behaviour?

Maybe we can add this into a photo compilation to celebrate our Singapore 50th Anniversary next year?

How we "Singaporeans" have degenerated from a fishing village into people that allow their children to poo poo everywhere in the public.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is there a dearth of toilets in mainland China? This isn't me being sarcastic I'm actually kind of concerned.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You know India is actually the world's largest concentration of street making GBS threads, China is still pretty strong though :thumbsup:

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

For some reason Indian tourists and expats seem to have gotten the memo that street making GBS threads is not acceptable when abroad. Maybe it's that whole imperialism thing.

In any case, I walk past the area of this particular incident regularly and there is no shortage of public toilets.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I'm really curious if the average self made rags to riches millionaire from India would poo in the streets? It's not possible with the Indian economy :downsrim:

I think I have been in here too long, I start to go crazy and rationalize "Hey at least it's on a drain!" :ughh: Street making GBS threads amazes me, I just never understand why. The other day when I just crossed in Shenzhen I saw a 7 year old girl pulling her pants and just started peeing :suicide:

What exactly makes people want to poo poo/pee on the street even when there are toilets everywhere?

Is it the disregard of public space? A class issue? A convenience issue? Lack of education?

You don't see the same folks who poo poo on the streets do it in their living rooms. I'm just too confused :ohdear:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

poo poo happens, if there are no toilets anywhere then I can see it. But most of the stories I read are people making GBS threads on tables/floors/streets within a 30 second walk of a toilet and what :psyduck:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I was talking to my buddy about some common HK problems and, after saying a few, he said "But don't people from China poo poo on the street there?" And I started saying "Well, I mean it doesn't happen TOO often and I guess they're uneducated" and he cut me off and said "But they're making GBS threads on the street in a city that's pretty much like New York, right?" And that gave me pause. I was kind of defending it and it's hosed up to poo poo in public.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

I thought the street making GBS threads mainlander problem was exaggerated too. Until I actually saw a street poo poo happen within 50 meters of Ikea's front door.

The most egregious case I've seen on the Singapore internet is a mainlander family who had their kid take a piss on the floor of a food court.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I saw a kid pee into a plastic bag on the platform of Mei Foo MTR station a few weeks ago. Hell, I had inlaws let their daughter pee into a bag in line at the Jungle Cruise Ride at Disney Land. I am still really embarrassed.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Most of the street making GBS threads/bag peeing stories seem to be kids which might partially explain the phenomenon.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think UNICEF needs to expand their Indian poo2loo program to China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hailthefish posted:

Most of the street making GBS threads/bag peeing stories seem to be kids which might partially explain the phenomenon.

It's because in Traditional Chinese Medicine, diapers disrupt the flow of qi through the body.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hailthefish posted:

But having the kid poo poo on a table at a KFC, which has a bathroom available for the use of customers, doesn't.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I guess kids crap and pee a lot, but I've never seen it in public in literally any other place I've been unless the kid wet their pants or diarrhead out the leg which makes me feel bad for them instead of disgusted..

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I did qualify that with 'partially'.

Peeing in a bag in line at a Disney Land ride makes a certain redneck-y sort of sense. Pooping on a table literally ten feet from a perfectly usable bathroom makes no sense at all.

MeramJert posted:

It's because in Traditional Chinese Medicine, diapers disrupt the flow of qi through the body.

You might be on to something here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

hailthefish posted:

Chinese people will sometimes earnestly argue that baby pee doesn't count.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
What's really amazing is no one ever has the decency to at least be embarrassed, or maybe rethink. Every incident I've heard of, it's "HOW DARE YOU OPPRESS CHINA BY CALLING ME OUT ON THIS?!"

Actually, that reminds me of the chinese families I saw at Incheon International last week, stuffing huge quantities of soap from boxes into their bags. Are they reselling it for a profit or something?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

TheBalor posted:

What's really amazing is no one ever has the decency to at least be embarrassed, or maybe rethink. Every incident I've heard of, it's "HOW DARE YOU OPPRESS CHINA BY CALLING ME OUT ON THIS?!"

Actually, that reminds me of the chinese families I saw at Incheon International last week, stuffing huge quantities of soap from boxes into their bags. Are they reselling it for a profit or something?

No, it's probably for them and their families.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

caberham posted:

What exactly makes people want to poo poo/pee on the street even when there are toilets everywhere?

Is it the disregard of public space? A class issue? A convenience issue? Lack of education?

I think a lot of it is just cultural, though some to do with lack of science/health education too. I live in Africa and there is the same problem here. I've seen families who have computers, cars, satellite television, etc, just not build latrines for their family. They often think its just not worth the expense -its about ~$120 for a good cement latrine here- when their family has always just used the bushes.

It's completely understandable for someone in a rural area just to go in the bushes, since there is very few people around. Low population density means the health and visibility aspects are low. But to do so in the middle of Singapore or Hong Kong? It blows my mind.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

TheBalor posted:

This annoys me even more than street making GBS threads, even if it's not gross, because it's why Chinese bathrooms don't have toilet paper- if you put it there some people will just take it. I've seen multiple people carrying huge rolls of toilet paper that are from bathroom stalls at the airport before.

As for China vs. other countries, I think there are a couple things going on.

First (and most importantly), China is still a poor country and it has lots of people who grew up in extreme poverty and only over the past 10-20 years have moved out of that. This should be obvious, but reading all the "China is a rising power" and "China to be the world's #1 economic superpower" articles has an obscuring effect.

Second, a certain brand of fygm-ism is pretty strong in China, so the mentality "other people might not like it if my kid shits in public, but why I should have go to the effort of going to a bathroom or changing a diaper" is super common.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

synertia posted:

No, it's probably for them and their families.

Right, but is Chinese soap that bad? I would have thought they'd have luxury dealers for fancy stuff all over China by now.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheBalor posted:

Come on man, learn how people work. People react like that because they're embarrassed.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's quite common for Chinese people to be mistrustful of things produced or even just sold in China. And the converse of this is that they trust foreign quality control almost implicitly.

At the same time, luxury goods in China are sold at a pretty big markup and are often much cheaper in other countries. I think there's a luxury tax responsible for that. Maybe not though.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I have two kids. One is three and toilet trained. The other is 18 months and not.

When we go out, I'll ask my older kid if he has to pee. As we pass the washroom before entering the station, I'll ask if he needs to pee. Basically, never miss an opportunity. And when he says "I gotta pee," then we find a washroom because this is Hong Kong and Jesus gently caress there are toilets everywhere. I have the Toilet Rush app on my phone but haven't needed to use it yet. So far no accidents in public but we always have a change of clothes in my backpack because I'd rather he wet or even poo poo his pants than pull off his trousers and do it on the pavement.

My younger son hasn't learned how to tell us he needs to go, so guess what, he will wear a loving diaper until he does! It's not hard and if you have the money to deck your entire family out in Disney merchandise you can buy a drat pack of diapers. Or do what my poor parents did and use cloth diapers that you wash when done.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

dilbertschalter posted:

Second, a certain brand of fygm-ism is pretty strong in China, so the mentality "other people might not like it if my kid shits in public, but why I should have go to the effort of going to a bathroom or changing a diaper" is super common.

It's not so much fygm, more like shamelessness. The concept of Face doesn't apply to dealing with strangers so you're free to ignore all the people around you and just do what thou wilt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vesi posted:

It's not so much fygm, more like shamelessness. The concept of Face doesn't apply to dealing with strangers so you're free to ignore all the people around you and just do what thou wilt.

Yes and Chinese people will bitch endlessly about this behavior when they think foreigners aren't listening.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Speaking of Chinese not trusting domestic products, here's more milk powder melamine!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Jeoh posted:

Speaking of Chinese not trusting domestic products, here's more milk powder melamine!

Whoever is responsible for that is a subhuman monster. Because they knew that babies died from it previously and still thought it was acceptable to do this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm torn. On the one hand, killing babies is wrong.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand, killing babies is wrong.

On the other hand, more profit. Well, I know what I'm gonna do.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Whoever is responsible for that is a subhuman monster. Because they knew that babies died from it previously and still thought it was acceptable to do this.

More executions now!

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

caberham posted:

More executions now!

Exactly, and more executions means more organs, so many lives are saved. Everybody wins!

(they said they'd stop doing organ harvesting, but I'm not sure if they actually have).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose posted:

It's quite common for Chinese people to be mistrustful of things produced or even just sold in China. And the converse of this is that they trust foreign quality control almost implicitly.

At the same time, luxury goods in China are sold at a pretty big markup and are often much cheaper in other countries. I think there's a luxury tax responsible for that. Maybe not though.

Yes, there are very large taxes on imported goods. It depends on the type of good, but some imported products can have at least a 100% luxury tax I think.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

dilbertschalter posted:

Exactly, and more executions means more organs, so many lives are saved. Everybody wins!

(they said they'd stop doing organ harvesting, but I'm not sure if they actually have).

Is there a significant amount of money to be gained if they break their promise to stop?

If so, they haven't stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm torn. On the one hand, Chinese people are being killed for organs. On the other hand, Chinese people are being saved by those organs.