Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The only thing that felt off to me was the general calling him "sir".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

sassassin posted:

They half-arsed some arc with him being responsible for Turian operations that was a) completely out of character for Garrus and his race and b) pointless because he was still just hanging around Shepard's ship doing gently caress all.

hurr calibrations lol

They only half decent thing he had was his goodbye date on the citadel and he didn't need to be a squadmate for that.

No, I don't think it would have been out of place. The whole 'send-off' self reverence bullshit the game is full of is far worse than Kai Leng or the ending.

You misunderstand me. What you're complaining about is the execution of what they did with Garrus in ME3. That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is - think back to ME2. ME3 isn't out yet, we don't know anything about it, all you have is ME1 and ME2. Would you say, at that point in time, "I do not want Garrus to return in ME3."?

I'm not claiming that how they did choose to handle Garrus in ME3 was good, or that ME3 itself was good, just saying that Garrus simply being in Mass Effect 3 is a good thing, regardless of what ME3 is.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

My biggest problem with Mass Effect 4 at this stage is that I feel Bioware already wrapped up the entire franchise with Mass Effect 3. I know their argument is they ended "Shepard's story" but it felt far more final than that. They even went to the trouble in the original endings of blowing up the titular mass effect relays. It's going to be hard to go from "we're done, it's over" to "here's another Mass Effect game I guess".

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
don't bother playing it if you don't want anything else in that setting I suppose.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Trapezium Dave posted:

My biggest problem with Mass Effect 4 at this stage is that I feel Bioware already wrapped up the entire franchise with Mass Effect 3. I know their argument is they ended "Shepard's story" but it felt far more final than that. They even went to the trouble in the original endings of blowing up the titular mass effect relays. It's going to be hard to go from "we're done, it's over" to "here's another Mass Effect game I guess".

Let me tell you about Bioware, retcons and your choices not meaning anything.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

JawKnee posted:

don't bother playing it if you don't want anything else in that setting I suppose.
I guess. My post is more from my interest in how game companies deal with this kind of thing.

Honestly although ideally I'd have preferred a new IP I think I would be interested if they spun the new series off in a different direction. I wouldn't have minded a game entirely set on the Citadel for example. However I suspect there's a counter group of fans who dearly want another "classic Mass Effect" game and the announcements seem to suggest ME4 is going that way. Either way it's going to be interesting to see what direction Bioware goes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Jade Empire wrapped up that story in one game instead of three but I'd probably punch any one of you in the face for a sequel. Some of you, I'd punch for free :v:

Breaking it down a bit, what I'd like is the Mass Effect ... I don't know, style, universe, whatever - applied to another game. This game could be called whatever it wants to be called. That said, it's just the way business and IPs are done these days that "whatever it wants to be called" is a sequel with the same franchise branding. Hence, Mass Effect Not 4.

I'm not gonna let it bug me since that's just how big game dev is.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I wouldn't have minded a game entirely set on the Citadel for example.

Mass Effect: Kirkwall

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 31, 2014

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I wouldn't have minded a game entirely set on the Citadel for example.

That would be great. I'd be all for that.

Related -

quote:

Breaking it down a bit, what I'd like is the Mass Effect ... I don't know, style, universe, whatever - applied to another game. This game could be called whatever it wants to be called. That said, it's just the way business and IPs are done these days that "whatever it wants to be called" is a sequel with the same franchise branding. Hence, Mass Effect Not 4.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the ME universe in a game with completely different gameplay. I just like the universe. It doesn't have to be the same gameplay as Shepard's games, to interest me.

As far as the name - ME4 is just a placeholder name fans will use, and I will use, until they give us a real name. The game could be Mass Effect Sims and I still would call it that if they had this little info and no real name out.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
I want to play as Grunt, and only Grunt. Maybe I can make friends with a volus.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

pwnyXpress posted:

You could have a skill called the fast ball special. I would play this game.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

Mass Effect 4 DLC: Grunt kills everything!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why I think ME4 will be good: EA/Bioware know they shat the bed w/ ME3. They are also taking their time in making this. They wouldn't make something if they weren't confident it was going to be good. With ME3, they had to rush and then it all fell apart. But they can't publicly state this. ME4 will be good.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Waltzing Along posted:

Why I think ME4 will be good: EA/Bioware know they shat the bed w/ ME3. They are also taking their time in making this. They wouldn't make something if they weren't confident it was going to be good. With ME3, they had to rush and then it all fell apart. But they can't publicly state this. ME4 will be good.

I don't know, I'm wary because they didn't fire the lead writers. I don't trust those guys. I trust the rest of the writing staff, but the lead writers have already shown they will completely ignore the writing staff to do their own crazy thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Aristobulus posted:

I don't know, I'm wary because they didn't fire the lead writers. I don't trust those guys. I trust the rest of the writing staff, but the lead writers have already shown they will completely ignore the writing staff to do their own crazy thing.

True, but that was facing a deadline. Who knows? Maybe the reason those two just sat in a room and did it is because they had spent a week in meetings with the writers and weren't making progress. And then they said, you know what, too many cooks are loving this poo poo up. Then they hosed poo poo up because they didn't have the oversight.

I could see that happening.

At this point, they are at least a year into development, if not more. I would be they have much of the story done already. At least the framework.

Or I am just giving them too much credit.

I'll just bend over. Okay, Bioware, give it to me.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The deeper problem was how the ME3 writing staff got to the position where they were in development overtime without having an ending written in the first place.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Trapezium Dave posted:

The deeper problem was how the ME3 writing staff got to the position where they were in development overtime without having an ending written in the first place.

This is true. Who was the project manager? Hudson or Walters? Feed them both to the sharks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not up for preordereing a Bioware game right now. If it comes out and gets good reviews, maybe I'll pick it up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Huh. Some one said that the inclusion of Garrus and Tali was a worse sin of ME3 than the ending. Did some one let an infinite amount of monkeys on typewriters in here?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People who regularly post in this thread definitely have mental problems of some kind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The game is more than two years old and this thread is still bumped constantly.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

I'm not up for preordereing a Bioware game right now. If it comes out and gets good reviews, maybe I'll pick it up.

This is pretty much my policy with everything now. A few super cheap "alpha games" on steam but that is about it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Plom Bar posted:

Huh. Some one said that the inclusion of Garrus and Tali was a worse sin of ME3 than the ending. Did some one let an infinite amount of monkeys on typewriters in here?

sin

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree that they know they done goofed, but just like with DA2, I think they took away completely the wrong lesson as to in what way they goofed.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

People who regularly post in this thread definitely have mental problems of some kind.

My space waifu and I agree.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I agree that they know they done goofed, but just like with DA2, I think they took away completely the wrong lesson as to in what way they goofed.

Bioware. Bioware never changes.

The end of the game occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many plot variables, not enough good writers. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aristobulus posted:

You misunderstand me. What you're complaining about is the execution of what they did with Garrus in ME3. That's not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is - think back to ME2. ME3 isn't out yet, we don't know anything about it, all you have is ME1 and ME2. Would you say, at that point in time, "I do not want Garrus to return in ME3."?

I'm not claiming that how they did choose to handle Garrus in ME3 was good, or that ME3 itself was good, just saying that Garrus simply being in Mass Effect 3 is a good thing, regardless of what ME3 is.

I don't agree with this line of thinking at all. If a character isn't able to contribute something meaningful to the narrative there's no point in them being there. The game doesn't automatically win points by bring in Garrus' voice actor to read a few lines.

His arc was over (however you decided to end it), and there was a small but decent chance he would be dead. I wouldn't have missed him, and would likely remember the character a lot more fondly.

Plom Bar posted:

The ending is no worse than the game that preceded it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

sassassin posted:

His arc was over (however you decided to end it), and there was a small but decent chance he would be dead. I wouldn't have missed him, and would likely remember the character a lot more fondly.

I agree, killing one of the series' favourite characters off screen would definitely be the way to improve the narrative and get the fans on-board.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Plom Bar posted:

What, you didn't think the thread would eventually become ending apologism?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I agree, killing one of the series' favourite characters off screen would definitely be the way to improve the narrative and get the fans on-board.

Who said kill off-screen? He can die in the suicide mission.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Milky Moor posted:

What, you didn't think the thread would eventually become ending apologism?

My opinion that the ending is merely a lazy and misguided capstone to an absolute piece of poo poo story (and game!) hasn't changed since soon after release.

And it's hilarious to me how one of the few successful parts of the narrative (who didn't feel a huge sense of satisfaction killing Kai Leng?) is so maligned.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

sassassin posted:

who didn't feel a huge sense of satisfaction killing Kai Leng?
I didn't. I can understand people getting some satisfaction from stabbing the annoying twit and knowing you don't see him again from that point onwards. But I was just annoyed at yet another lovely attempt at portraying Kai Leng as Shep's rival by making Shep finish him of personally while going "That was for <insert name>".

I would have been satisfied if not taking the interupt resulted in Shep ignoring Leng and the annoying twit collapsing, and the interupt had one of your squadmates shoot him. Anything that would not have validated the whole rivalry nonsense.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You're supposed to resent his presence and hate that he's even considered on your level. It's really well worked, and a hundred times as effective as the bland reaper/cerberus "threats".

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Nihilarian posted:

Game development is such now that you basically should never preorder any game. Let other people beta test it for $60.

Trapezium Dave posted:

in the original endings

Doesn't matter. See above re: beta tests.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The game tries too hard when it's time to actually kill him though. I didn't actually want to murder him in slow motion and revel in his complete humiliation because I was trying to role play as a good guy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

sassassin posted:

You're supposed to resent his presence and hate that he's even considered on your level. It's really well worked, and a hundred times as effective as the bland reaper/cerberus "threats".

You're supposed to hate and resent him based on his activities and threat he poses, not because of lovely dialogue and railroaded losses.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
I was happy when he died because then that lovely part of the story was over.

I literally forgot who you guys were talking about until I looked it up. I had completely wiped that part of the the story from my mind.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

You're supposed to hate and resent him based on his activities and threat he poses, not because of lovely dialogue and railroaded losses.

What makes you think that? Do you honestly think we're supposed to take "Kai Leng is even more dangerous than the Reapers" literally or seriously?

The threat he poses is bullshit railroaded losses. It's great.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

sassassin posted:

I didn't hate cyborg ninja man, I just didn't care. He was no threat at all and I only got vaguely annoyed when I "beat him" in a few seconds then lost via cut scene which was trying to play up a super easy fight.

Most of the game I forgot he existed and was doubly annoyed when he did the villain thing of still being alive while I was working on getting the vi back. I was way more interested in what the catalyst was, and and was banking on it being like a reaper heart or something when deep more delay.

Yes that Mac guffin that is mentioned twice in the game held more importance to me than kai leng. That is kinda the definition of a bad villain.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Dude, you beat Kai Leng by punching his sword with your fist, and every battle you have with him ends with him running away. He's Team Rocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Axe-man posted:

was doubly annoyed

So you agree he accomplished more as a villain than anything else in ME3

• Locked thread