Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Looks like ieatsoap without 6 got a very strangely titled email

What better way to make friends :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My homebrew club's annual competition is coming up, but none of the recipes I've done lately have really had that "wow" factor to make them stand out in a crowd. Anyone want to share something that'll blow peoples socks off?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Toebone posted:

My homebrew club's annual competition is coming up, but none of the recipes I've done lately have really had that "wow" factor to make them stand out in a crowd. Anyone want to share something that'll blow peoples socks off?

Do they have categories or is it just a free for all?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I just started brewing a few months ago. I'm starting to think about my third batch and was wondering where you guys buy your supplies? Do you just go through your local home brew shop or do you order online? Maybe a combination of the two? And if you're doing online, what's a good site to use?

I'll probably get my grains locally but they don't stock the hops and yeast I want to use.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I just started brewing a few months ago. I'm starting to think about my third batch and was wondering where you guys buy your supplies? Do you just go through your local home brew shop or do you order online? Maybe a combination of the two? And if you're doing online, what's a good site to use?

I'll probably get my grains locally but they don't stock the hops and yeast I want to use.

I buy all my ingredients locally, largely because I like the input when I'm buying things if they have any suggestions to tweak or add to a recipe. If you do want to go online, the usual candidates are Northern Brewer, More Beer and Midwest Brewing.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I buy most things locally, but go online for obscure stuff the local shops don't carry. Northern brewer, rebel brewer, grape and granary...I'm probably leaving a few out, but a lot of it depends on where in the country/world you are, because shipping adds up quickly.

Speaking of which, I may need to go get some more yeast for this stout...it's been almost a week since I pitched the yeast, and it's still barely doing anything.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I prefer the local store for most things, but Northern Brewer is my fave of the online places. Their kits are excellent, and if you are an extract brewer they have decently fresh extracts. I've had great luck with all of their recipes so far.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

HatfulOfHollow posted:

As far as online stuff, Northern Brewer (northernbrewer.com) and Beer Beer & More Beer (morebeer.com) have been my go-tos. I've also done business with William's Brewing (williamsbrewing.com), Midwest Supplies (midwestsupplies.com), and Adventures in Homebrewing (homebrewing.org), and had good experiences. There are other good ones, too, but those are the ones I have mostly used. I do order bulk hops from Puterbaugh Farms / Fresh Hops (freshops.com). For most things, though, my local shop does just fine. I buy malt from them, both by the sack and by the pound, as well as yeast hops I don't need a pound of.

Oh, and it's worth keeping an eye on homebrewfinds.com to help with finding things to :homebrew:.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

rockcity posted:

Do they have categories or is it just a free for all?

Free for all.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Toebone posted:

Free for all.

Unique/strange ingredients can typically push the scale in that case. Some beers I've made that had really good results in my club comps:
* Passionfruit/papaya Brettanomyces Berlinerweisse
* Heirloom rhubarb (super sour/veggy) farmhouse ale
* Session breakfast stout w/ Ethiopian harrar cold pressed coffee
* 5% ABV beet kvass

I'm weird, and like weird beer though.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
It's usually a good idea to push some aspect of the beer for competition. A perfectly crafted middle of the road pale ale isn't going to get much attention, but if it's slightly over the top in some way it'll stand out against the crowd. Avoid super popular styles like IPA, judges get bored of tasting the same types of flavors over and over. For what it's worth, the winners of the two competitions I've entered were a weizenbock and a schwarzbier. I've heard hoppy American browns also do well in competition since it's a flavor profile that hasn't been done to death. Also, be sure to describe the beer you brewed on the entry form, not the beer you were trying to brew. If there's a flavor or ingredient that doesn't come through don't even mention it, the judges will ding you if they can't taste it.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

hellfaucet posted:

Unique/strange ingredients can typically push the scale in that case. Some beers I've made that had really good results in my club comps:
* 5% ABV beet kvass

Could you post your recipe for Heirloom Rhubarb farmhouse ale? (I may tweak it after first brew etc to become my own but I really need a solid beer with rhubarb, I have a mega ton of the stuff in the garden. We got so sick of the stuff one time we tried to kill it - grew back twice as strong so we learnt to love it). :shepface:

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

hellfaucet posted:

* 5% ABV beet kvass

How did you add the passionfruit? How many pounds per gallon?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

The second beer I ever brewed was a really nice session coffee/milk stout, maybe I'll try updating that recipe. Doesn't hurt that my city has an excellent single-source coffee roaster I can get the beans from.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Fluo posted:

Could you post your recipe for Heirloom Rhubarb farmhouse ale? (I may tweak it after first brew etc to become my own but I really need a solid beer with rhubarb, I have a mega ton of the stuff in the garden. We got so sick of the stuff one time we tried to kill it - grew back twice as strong so we learnt to love it). :shepface:

Target OG: 1.070
90 min boil
Target IBUs: 23 IBUs

55.3% Belgian Pils
23.4% 2-Row
12.8% White Wheat
5.7% Flaked Barley
2.6% Crystal 20
0.2% (like 0.25oz for 5 gallons max) Black Patent

Mash @ 148 for 75 minutes, do a mash out if you can.

15.6 IBU Saaz @ 80 mins
3.4 IBU Saaz @ 30 mins
0.5-1 oz ea. Saaz and Styrian @ flameout

ECY Farmhouse Brett

Primary for 3-4 weeks (or longer)
Add about 8-10 pounds of rhubarb added in secondary for about 6 weeks. Cut the rhubarb up into small pieces, freeze, thaw, then add.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

How did you add the passionfruit? How many pounds per gallon?

Added the passion fruits in secondary for about 6 weeks. I used about 8 passion fruits in a 5 gallon batch, as they are very strong in flavor and tartness. You cut em open and scoop the goop/seeds out, freeze, then add. I would say no more than a full pound of fruit for 5 gallons based on my experience.

hellfaucet fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 30, 2014

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I racked my second batch of beer to secondary for dry hopping yesterday. I was a little disappointed that my FG was 1.012 from OG of 1.045. I was expecting a bit more attenuation with the beer ending up somewhere around 5% abv but I'll settle for something a little more sessionable. I'm guessing temperature probably had something to do with this.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I racked my second batch of beer to secondary for dry hopping yesterday. I was a little disappointed that my FG was 1.012 from OG of 1.045. I was expecting a bit more attenuation with the beer ending up somewhere around 5% abv but I'll settle for something a little more sessionable. I'm guessing temperature probably had something to do with this.

If it's extract, I've always found the wort produced via LME/DME to be less fermentable than with a properly done all-grain batch. If it was all-grain, perhaps you mashed a little too high?

Also, always makes starters, even on lower gravity beers. You want to give your beer the best fighting chance you can each time you brew.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Honestly that's pretty good attenuation. What was the strain?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

pugnax posted:

Honestly that's pretty good attenuation. What was the strain?

Safale US-05. The manufacturer says 80% but I've read mixed results ranging from 70-86%

It was a mix of steeped grains in a bag and LME. The OG was right where I wanted it to be but I thought the FG would be lower.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Actually kind of on-topic, I kegged my saison yesterday (citra/amazrillo, 4.8% ABV) and it was reading 1.007. I used Gigayeast Saison #2, no starter, but Gigayeast has 200bn cell count in their pitch. It tastes great and I can't wait to have a properly chilled/carbonated pint after I move next week. Initial impression is similar to 3711.

Hopefully I can get that raspberry lambic bottled tonight as an intermission for packing :effort: (and I hope that I have enough bottles!)

e: US-05 loves to finish beer in that [wide] range at 1.012 in my experience. I've had the occasional 1.010, and my big beers finish 1.018-1.022 (iirc, I don't have my notes on me)

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm working on putting together a recipe for stout that I'm aiming for an oatmeal cookie type of taste and I'm hoping to get some input.

8 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Flaked Oat (I'll probably toast these)
1 lb Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 90
1 lb Lactose
.5 lb Dark Brown Sugar

.5 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Goldings (30 min)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I also want to start making yeast starters for my batches. How much does a stir plate really help in the process?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

rockcity posted:

I'm working on putting together a recipe for stout that I'm aiming for an oatmeal cookie type of taste and I'm hoping to get some input.

8 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Flaked Oat (I'll probably toast these)
1 lb Black Patent
1 lb Crystal 90
1 lb Lactose
.5 lb Dark Brown Sugar

.5 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Goldings (30 min)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I also want to start making yeast starters for my batches. How much does a stir plate really help in the process?

Just my suggestions, I'm not trying to suggest your recipe is wrong.

-- Do toast the oats.
-- You could either keep the patent malt or go with roast barley.
-- I'd replace some or all of the C90 with chocolate. I don't think you need the sweetness since you have oats and lactose, but I do think you need the color and flavor of the choc.
-- With all of your roast grains, go with an English maltster. American maltsters just don't seem to roast dark enough, IMO. I've seen a lot of brown "stouts" because of this.
-- I'd go more like a full ounce of Magnum for bittering.
-- I'd use London Ale rather than Irish.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Putting the lemongrass C hop saison into secondary tomorrow.
My supplier of curry leaves says that because of monsoon season he won't get any more from India. Going to try and find some racist lime leaves (kaffir) that aren't rotten and probably pass on the galangal addition. I could add more lemongrass in secondary after washing it in rum (used all my vodka), or I could go with tamarind or sumac. Going for the aromatic sour flavors in this.

Has anyone ever brewed with tamarind or sumac?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

Not using a stirplate is fine, but not the same as using one. http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html can give you a rough idea (:spergin:) of simple starter vs stirplate vs intermittent shaking.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^^
Wow, that's super helpful, thanks. So it seems like it's more than you just need to make a much bigger starter if you just do a simple starter vs shaking or a stir plate. I'm not really against buying a stir plate, I was more curious what the real gain was.

Jo3sh posted:

Just my suggestions, I'm not trying to suggest your recipe is wrong.

-- Do toast the oats.
-- You could either keep the patent malt or go with roast barley.
-- I'd replace some or all of the C90 with chocolate. I don't think you need the sweetness since you have oats and lactose, but I do think you need the color and flavor of the choc.
-- With all of your roast grains, go with an English maltster. American maltsters just don't seem to roast dark enough, IMO. I've seen a lot of brown "stouts" because of this.
-- I'd go more like a full ounce of Magnum for bittering.
-- I'd use London Ale rather than Irish.

Thanks, I actually did think about using roast barley and chocolate malt so I'm glad to hear that suggestion. The black patent was mostly in there to keep it dark. I might keep half a pound of it in just to make sure it doesn't stray into the brown range.

I had an ounce of the Magnum in there at first, but it had the IBUs up at 46, which seemed high to me, so I dropped it to half an ounce which is putting me at 28 IBUs. I might go with .75oz and settle in the middle. That seems to put me at 37 IBUs which I think should be good.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 30, 2014

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

rockcity posted:

^^^^
Wow, that's super helpful, thanks. So it seems like it's more than you just need to make a much bigger starter if you just do a simple starter vs shaking or a stir plate. I'm not really against buying a stir plate, I was more curious what the real gain was.

They're very easy to make, also. I went with http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html (but an 8V source since thats what I had to spare from old broken stuff) and the most difficult part was adjusting the magnet's position vertically (which I made adjustable, but it wasn't obvious at first that I needed to change where it was initially).

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 30, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChickenArise posted:

They're very easy to make, also. I went with http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html (but an 8V source since thats what I had to spare from old broken stuff) and the most difficult part was adjusting the magnet's position vertically (which I made adjustable, but it wasn't obvious at first that I needed to change where it was initially).

I did consider building one too, I found similar plans online. I might give it a go if it ends up being much cheaper than the $45 or whatever StirStarter ones go for.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I think mine cost me about $15 plus a bunch of crap I scavenged from my parts heap.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
That sounds about right. I got a housing from Amazon (~$10) and bought the handful of electrical components (<$5) and nuts/bolts that would let me securely suspend the computer case fan inside the housing (~$2). I could have done it much more cheaply if I wasn't so lazy or if I had kept up more with hobby electronics. In retrospect, I would like a wider housing and a larger flask, but that's easily upgradeable.

e: and I misremembered - the thing holding me up was actually that the magnetic attraction between the fan motor and the magnet + gravity pulling the magnet towards earth was enough to prevent the fan from ever being able to spin past it's inertial moment when I applied voltage.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 30, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

I think mine cost me about $15 plus a bunch of crap I scavenged from my parts heap.

Yeah, I'm thinking I have a handful of things I might be able to use lying around. I might have a spare fan and I know I have a power supply I can use. I do have some magnets, but I don't think they're strong enough though and they might be a bit heavy and weigh down on the motor.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 30, 2014

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

rockcity posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking I have a handful of things I might be able to use lying around. I might have a spare fan and I know I have a power supply I can use. I do have some magnets, but I don't think they're strong enough though and they might be a bit heavy and weigh down on the motor.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UD2UU0/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have these, and I think they'd work pretty well in a stirstarter.

I found an old stirrer/shaker on ebay that works pretty well, but might build one of these for my cousin.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Stir plates are so easy to make I feel bad for anyone who pays much for one. It's the goddamn stir bars that are running into money since I keep dumping them into the compost pile with the trub.

I've been a big fan of WY3724 but I expect to have no further use for it - cultured dregs from Saison Dupont took my current batch from 1.056 to 1.008 in just under 4 days so far. Pitched at 65F and not heated until 3 days in when it went into an 80F water bath. Tasting fine and looking exactly like Minute Maid orange juice at the moment.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Myron Baloney posted:

Stir plates are so easy to make I feel bad for anyone who pays much for one. It's the goddamn stir bars that are running into money since I keep dumping them into the compost pile with the trub.

I've been a big fan of WY3724 but I expect to have no further use for it - cultured dregs from Saison Dupont took my current batch from 1.056 to 1.008 in just under 4 days so far. Pitched at 65F and not heated until 3 days in when it went into an 80F water bath. Tasting fine and looking exactly like Minute Maid orange juice at the moment.

Why not get the stir bar out of your starter before pitching? Just grab a magnet and run it around the bottom until you find your bar and then run it up the sides to extract it. Voila! No more lost stirrers.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

wildfire1 posted:

Why not get the stir bar out of your starter before pitching? Just grab a magnet and run it around the bottom until you find your bar and then run it up the sides to extract it. Voila! No more lost stirrers.
Because I'm stupid and forget every single time. I now put a post-it on the flask so I should start doing it right.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Myron Baloney posted:

Because I'm stupid and forget every single time. I now put a post-it on the flask so I should start doing it right.

I've never tried this, but if you had a strong enough rare earth magnet you could probably tape it to the neck of the flask and catch it as you pour.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

wildfire1 posted:

I've never tried this, but if you had a strong enough rare earth magnet you could probably tape it to the neck of the flask and catch it as you pour.

Or maybe wrap hundreds of turns of wire around the neck of your carboys and apply a good voltage?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jo3sh posted:

Or maybe wrap hundreds of turns of wire around the neck of your carboys and apply a good voltage?

What could go wrong?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

DontAskKant posted:

Has anyone ever brewed with tamarind or sumac?

I have not, but I've been itching for a while to do a tamarind saison.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

wildfire1 posted:

What could go wrong?

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

Hahaha. :v: