Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

jneer posted:

What do you mea-

Ahaha. What the gently caress kind of writing is that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Arivia posted:

The MC and Imoen are likely the same age when they leave Candlekeep.
why do you not have this memorised i am so mad

quote:

Nestled atop the cliffs that rise from the Sword Coast, the citadel of Candlekeep houses the finest ond most comprehensive writings collection of writings on the face of Faerun. It is an imposing fortress, kept in strict isolation from the intrigues that occasionally plague the rest of the Forgotten Realms. It is secluded, highly regimented, and it is home.
Within these hallowed walls of knowledge your story begins. You have spent most of your 20 years of life within this keep's austere walls, under the tutelage of the sage Gorion. Acting as your father, he has raised you on a thousand tales of heroes and monsters, lovers and infidels, battles and tragedies. However, one story was always left untold: that of your true heritage. You have been told that you are an orphan, but your past is largely unknown.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sleep of Bronze posted:

How old is a 20 year-old elf in human years?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Order of the Stick mentions "20 years in diapers" as a drawback to the elven lifespan.

But doesn't mention which twenty years.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Deltasquid posted:

That's nothing. Dragons have lifespans that are measured in millennia, but Abazigal is not only an adult dragon in ToB, he also has an adult son. It' never explained in the game, but guess we could come up with the explanation that Bhaal used his divine powers to make all his offspring mature at the same time so that they would all be better at killing one another.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Because let's face it the tutorial of Baldur's Gate is extraordinarily boring.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I don't care, you have to listen to everything the narrator says. It is the best voice in the series after David Warner's.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'll stick to the original Forgotten Realms narrator thanks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Factor_VIII posted:

That's nothing. Dragons have lifespans that are measured in millennia, but Abazigal is not only an adult dragon in ToB, he also has an adult son. It' never explained in the game, but guess we could come up with the explanation that Bhaal used his divine powers to make all his offspring mature at the same time so that they would all be better at killing one another.

I thought I recall reading somewhere that Elves will mature faster if raised among humans.

I hate my life.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I thought it was mentioned that Bhaals been planning this for years, you and Sarevok just came from the larger human/last batch of kids before the Time of Trials. Presumably Bhaal got busy with dragons/elves millenia ago.

Also the events of the series occur over something like 10-20 years don't they?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arivia posted:

I'll stick to the original Forgotten Realms narrator thanks.

Please give Elminster his full title: "Ed Greenwood's self-insert godly-powerful Wizard who spends his time having sex with beautiful women (when he's not turning himself into one for fun times) and has a door in his tower that leads to Ed Greenwood's closet so they can share beer."

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rookersh posted:

I thought it was mentioned that Bhaals been planning this for years, you and Sarevok just came from the larger human/last batch of kids before the Time of Trials. Presumably Bhaal got busy with dragons/elves millenia ago.

Also the events of the series occur over something like 10-20 years don't they?

yeah bhaal was getting jiggy with it many many years before the time of troubles and if i recall the time of troubles happened 13 years before bg1.

bg1 takes place over a year (bg1 start date is 1368 and bg2 is 1369) bg2 is probably suppose to be the same length.

i too, hate my life.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Deaderinred posted:

bg1 takes place over a year (bg1 start date is 1368 and bg2 is 1369)

If you haven't accidentally slept for 6 months in BG1 you haven't played it properly

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please give Elminster his full title: "Ed Greenwood's self-insert godly-powerful Wizard who spends his time having sex with beautiful women (when he's not turning himself into one for fun times) and has a door in his tower that leads to Ed Greenwood's closet so they can share beer."

You're wrong: the portal is in his space station. Which is separate from the hidden refuge his underwear takes him to when he's hurt greatly.

Also those dates for Baldur's Gate are wrong. I'll get the right ones in a little bit.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wonder if Greenwood was inspired to include the incident where Elminster was turned into a woman by Mystra and became her priestess by the ancient Greek legend regarding the famous seer Tiresias, who was turned into a woman by Hera and became her priestess. Though I think it would have been a more interesting story if Greenwood had followed the legend more closely and had Elminster marry a man and have children.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I wonder if Greenwood was inspired to include the incident where Elminster was turned into a woman by Mystra and became her priestess by the ancient Greek legend regarding the famous seer Tiresias, who was turned into a woman by Hera and became her priestess. Though I think it would have been a more interesting story if Greenwood had followed the legend more closely and had Elminster marry a man and have children.

El was using Elmara as a disguise until at least the mid-1370s, so it's not impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it a go, considering all of Elminster's children - I'd start looking at Silverfall, the Seven Sisters, and Elminster's Daughter for any hints.

BG1, BG2, and ToB all take place in 1368 (see Grand History of the Realms page 148.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
We DO first meet Elminster on the same map as the belt ogre, not 50 meters away. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

We DO first meet Elminster on the same map as the belt ogre, not 50 meters away. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Doesn't he actually come up to you right at the beginning of the game? like the first wilderness map?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

El was using Elmara as a disguise until at least the mid-1370s, so it's not impossible. I wouldn't be surprised if he gave it a go, considering all of Elminster's children - I'd start looking at Silverfall, the Seven Sisters, and Elminster's Daughter for any hints.

BG1, BG2, and ToB all take place in 1368 (see Grand History of the Realms page 148.)

Wait, so the events of all three games take place over the course of a single year?

How is that even possible?

e: No, apparently it all ends in 1369/1370, so it's 2-3 years.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Arivia posted:

Doesn't he actually come up to you right at the beginning of the game? like the first wilderness map?

That's right, and that's the same map as the belt ogre.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

That's right, and that's the same map as the belt ogre.

No, the belt ogre is around the back of the Friendly Arm.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 31, 2014

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Nope, he's in the Elminster map. You get the quest to get the belts from the ogre in the FAI. The buggers behind the inn itself are the hobgoblins, one of which carries Joya's flamedance ring. Perhaps you're mixing the two?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

inscrutable horse posted:

Nope, he's in the Elminster map. You get the quest to get the belts from the ogre in the FAI. The buggers behind the inn itself are the hobgoblins, one of which carries Joya's flamedance ring. Perhaps you're mixing the two?

This guy is right, and I should know as I'm a huge nerd

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Is there any mod that disables traps without loving with locks?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

You're right, I am. I could've sworn the ogre was on the same map as the flamedance ring hobgoblins, but I just checked and he's on a different map.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Mercrom posted:

Is there any mod that disables traps without loving with locks?

? Normally the trap disabling and lock-picking are two different actions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Despite traps being literally hidden death, there's several parts in both BG1 and BG2 that would be ruined without them, so a mod that did that would be pretty lovely.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
It's definitely a part of BGTweaks to disable all traps and locks, though I don't know if that's one component or two.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sergiu64 posted:

? Normally the trap disabling and lock-picking are two different actions.

A mod that removes traps, without removing locks (like the tweak pack does)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

rakovsky maybe posted:

It's definitely a part of BGTweaks to disable all traps and locks, though I don't know if that's one component or two.

It's one I believe. I can't imagine playing without it.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

netcat posted:

Ahaha. What the gently caress kind of writing is that.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
One of the later BG1 chapters' intro summarizes the events of the game as taking place over the course of several weeks. BG2's intro explains your party was kidnapped almost immediately after the ending of 1.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Wait, so the events of all three games take place over the course of a single year?

How is that even possible?

e: No, apparently it all ends in 1369/1370, so it's 2-3 years.

No - ToB might end in 1369 - there's no listing of when Melissan dies - but everything from Sarevok through to Yaga-Shura's sacking of Saradush all takes place in 1368 as per the Grand History.

One thing that might be causing a little confusion is that I think the canonical version is actually the novels, as Jim Butler described back in the day on REALMS-L; anything with the logo on it should be canon, but the lorelords and Ed Greenwood and so on have the choice of which version to work with. Novels were probably just easier than games, but that doesn't mean they ignore them - Neverwinter Nights' plague takes place on Tarsakh 30, 1372 DR, for example.

Also Elmara is unrelated to the belt of masculinity/femininity; see Elminster: Making of a Mage parts 2 and 3.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I know absolutely nothing about D&D lore except the generic fantasy stuff, or anything particular to Faerūn really, and all of this stuff is so confusing. Is Elminster a character from the source material and not just from Baldur's Gate? Are there actual cameos by characters from the D&D rulebooks? what?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deltasquid posted:

I know absolutely nothing about D&D lore except the generic fantasy stuff, or anything particular to Faerūn really, and all of this stuff is so confusing. Is Elminster a character from the source material and not just from Baldur's Gate? Are there actual cameos by characters from the D&D rulebooks? what?

Correct. Much of what's in Baldur's Gate comes from the Forgotten Realms, a detailed setting for running Dungeons and Dragons games; a good portion of the game stems from novels released in the Forgotten Realms (like Drizzt Do'Urden, a super popular novel character.) Elminster and Volo were both created by the setting's creator, Ed Greenwood, as voices for explaining the setting; this is how they're used in the Baldur's Gate manual for example.

The adherence to the setting decreases as Baldur's Gate continues - BG1 is VERY close to a lot of setting material, while Throne of Bhaal makes some really bad mistakes and throws out canon at some points.

But to give you some examples: Candlekeep, Oghma, Tethtoril, and Alaundo are all from the setting material. Gorion isn't, but the Harpers are; the Friendly Arm Inn, Beregost, Taerom Fuiruim, High Hedge, and Thalantyr are; the Iron Throne, the Flaming Fist, Scar, Duke Eltan, Bhaal, and the leaders of the Throne that appear at Candlekeep are all from other material. Elminster, Volo, and Drizzt are all from other sources, of course.

edit: FLAMING Fist, my head is SO not in the Western Heartlands right now.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 31, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"Ah serve the Friendly Fist!"

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

DeathChicken posted:

"Ah serve the Friendly Fist!"

But enough about my roleplaying fetish

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Traps don't bother me because I've beaten these games so many times that I have 99% of the trap locations memorized :v:.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Arivia posted:

Despite traps being literally hidden death, there's several parts in both BG1 and BG2 that would be ruined without them, so a mod that did that would be pretty lovely.
Yes, the gameplay consisting of navigating headless chickens through eyes of needles would be ruined without all the landmines.

I wish this game got an actual enhanced edition that instead of adding a bunch of bad fanfiction eliminated the need for poo poo like using ctrl-J to get through a doorway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mercrom posted:

Yes, the gameplay consisting of navigating headless chickens through eyes of needles would be ruined without all the landmines.

I wish this game got an actual enhanced edition that instead of adding a bunch of bad fanfiction eliminated the need for poo poo like using ctrl-J to get through a doorway.

A lot of tension in both Davaeorn's lair and the dungeons under Skullport wouldn't work without traps; it's a bit of a gotcha but I think the game would be far less without them.