Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

That makes the assumption that the share holders will accept those kinds of losses without forcing a restructuring. They can theoretically survive while hemorrhaging money; but the loss of investor confidence would kill them long before the they ran out of money unless they bought all their stock back and went private, which would require spending most of that money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Basically while companies like Sony or MS bleed money from a large resource right away, Nintendo has kept its profits above its expenses, making more money each year than they would ever lose. That was right up until they pushed the Wii U early and made a very strange decision to release a new console with no actual games for it. They took a very large financial blow and people called for Iwata's resignation and it was a big debacle. But it's one of the first real stumbles they've made since like, the Virtual Boy

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is Wii U the next Xbox One?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Level Slide posted:

Is Wii U the next Xbox One?

I think the Xbox One is the next Xbox.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I think the Xbox One is the next Xbox.

an obtuse, overpriced piece of mediocre poo poo which will only be remembered as a "halo machine"?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Also nintendo's investors are hilariously stupid

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

Also nintendo's investors are hilariously stupid

anyone got that quote from the investor at the shareholder meeting asking why nintendo doesn't make gambling games instead? the reply of basically "yeah we'll keep that idea in mind, you idiot" from iwata was :lol:

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I don't know anything or care about video games and the industry. Tell me about the management.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

realtalk i am genuinely excited whenever i see reggie announcing something. he's a really cool dude

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Excels posted:

That was right up until they pushed the Wii U early and made a very strange decision to release a new console with no actual games for it.

Ummm the WiiU had a really good launch lineup and was leagues ahead of the PS4 and XBone in that respect

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ummm the WiiU had a really good launch lineup and was leagues ahead of the PS4 and XBone in that respect

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_%28US%29

ports, ports, party game sequels, more skylanders, mass effect 3, a bunch of minigame sequels, more ports, and zombiiU

drat i wonder why no one bought a wii u?>??

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It wasn't good enough to inform the general public that the Wii U was a new console.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Excels posted:

realtalk i am genuinely excited whenever i see reggie announcing something. he's a really cool dude

Because reggie Owns

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Excels posted:

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Launch_Games_%28US%29

ports, ports, party game sequels, more skylanders, mass effect 3, a bunch of minigame sequels, more ports, and zombiiU

drat i wonder why no one bought a wii u?>??

I can do that too:

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/Xbox_One_Launch_Titles

Sequel, sequel, sequel, some rail shooter, more sequels, a fighting game, lovely driving sequel, some dancing game sequel, Killer Instinct: The DLCing, Lego sequel, lovely motorbike game thing, more sequels, crappy Rome game, more Skylanders, some fitness games, Zoo Tycoon.

Kewpuh posted:

Because reggie Owns

Nintendo has somehow made celebrities out of their administration, and well-liked celebrities too. Kind of baffling.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Morpheus posted:

I can do that too:

Sequel, sequel, sequel, some rail shooter, more sequels, a fighting game, lovely driving sequel, some dancing game sequel, Killer Instinct: The DLCing, Lego sequel, lovely motorbike game thing, more sequels, crappy Rome game, more Skylanders, some fitness games, Zoo Tycoon.

Nintendo has somehow made celebrities out of their administration, and well-liked celebrities too. Kind of baffling.

Actually Reggie created Pizza Hut's Big New Yorker Pizza whichi s why he is a celebrity... idiot bitch

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

They come across as people who like games and pop up to talk about games periodically, versus EA or Microsoft who mostly roll out Douchey McSleazebag during E3 every year.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I can do that too:

your counterargument doesn't work because there's variety in your examples and KI is at EVO so it was kind of a big system seller

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Literally just about every console and handheld ever released has had a lackluster launch except maybe the PSP and Vita, which had a flood of games and then nothing for like 5 months. The Wii arguably had a decent launch thanks to Wii Sports and Zelda with some great 2nd and 3rd party support (Excitetruck, Elebits).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Louisgod posted:

Literally just about every console and handheld ever released has had a lackluster launch except maybe the PSP and Vita, which had a flood of games and then nothing for like 5 months. The Wii arguably had a decent launch thanks to Wii Sports and Zelda with some great 2nd and 3rd party support (Excitetruck, Elebits).

Dreamcast had Power Stone, Hydrothunder, Soul Caliber, and Ready 2 Rumble.

PS2's wasn't awful either. Cube had Star Wars, Wave Race, and that Luigi Game.

That was a good gen for launch titles.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Are there people in here who legitimately do not enjoy the fun games on the Wii U Console

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

stux and deak?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

anyone got that quote from the investor at the shareholder meeting asking why nintendo doesn't make gambling games instead? the reply of basically "yeah we'll keep that idea in mind, you idiot" from iwata was :lol:

Those shareholder questions are always full of ridiculous questions. I remember one guy bitching at Iwata for not providing a shuttle bus to the venue, and another guy complaining about the catering, and one dude asking why such a "socially" "conscious" company wasn't sending copies of Wii Fit to tsunami victims (they were) P.S. Wii Fit is junk and video games are stupid!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Awesome! posted:

stux and deak?

They make me sad

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

I really like the investors who scoff at Nintendo devoting so much time to "childish concepts" such as "video gaming" instead of investing where the REAL money is(?)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Excels posted:

KI is at EVO so it was kind of a big system seller

What

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

GameCube had Smash Bros within a month, which was pretty much the console-defining title. And the N64 launched with Mario 64 and Pilotwings, with Shadows of the Empire soon after. Some good launches.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Excels posted:

your counterargument doesn't work because there's variety in your examples and KI is at EVO so it was kind of a big system seller

I thought you meant Kid Icarus at first and I was all excited that there was competitive KI:U games at evo

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Excels posted:

I really like the investors who scoff at Nintendo devoting so much time to "childish concepts" such as "video gaming" instead of investing where the REAL money is(?)

iPhone apps. I can see Animal Crossing F2P. Get whoever did that new Dungeon Keeper game, they knew how to make a buck!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Excels posted:

A variety of lovely games, also what does EVO have to do with anything

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If EVO was a benchmark of eSports embracing only quality games then I guess Street Fighter X Tekken was a stellar product.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Excels posted:

KI is at EVO so it was kind of a big system seller
KI was at Evo because Microsoft spent a lot of money, not because the community wanted it there.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

well people need to play the xbone to compete so obviously it must have sold to some people

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wow it sold an entire 500 copies to loving nerds who study things like input lag and complain about having fun

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wait, so... so Persona 4 Arena and Blazblue were big successes?

Wow. I guess the new anime dawn is upon us.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I guess the new anime dawn is upon us.

Inshallah

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Wow it sold an entire 500 copies to loving nerds who study things like input lag and complain about having fun

it worked for smash bros

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Excels posted:

an obtuse, overpriced piece of mediocre poo poo which will only be remembered as a "halo machine"?

It's good to play together.

Kewpuh posted:

Actually Reggie created Pizza Hut's Big New Yorker Pizza whichi s why he is a celebrity... idiot bitch

I thought he made the Bigfoot, which was really just a copy of Little Caesar's Big! Big! Cheese! pizza
And then Pizza Hut had to go and retire it even though it was the last good thing they ever did, so gently caress them.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Reggie is responsible for both the Bigfoot and the Big New Yorker. He's a big guy, you see.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Excels posted:

loving laffo at the idea that anyone genuinely gives a poo poo about Killer loving Instinct in the year 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, so... so Persona 4 Arena and Blazblue were big successes?

Wow. I guess the new anime dawn is upon us.

Blazblue kinda was, yeah. It's gotten multiple dlcs and pseudo sequels.

I always thought P4A got a bad rap. It's a better game than Blazblue and the auto combos aren't worth using past absolute beginner level.

• Locked thread