Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

nesbit37 posted:

Even being on the shuttle route last year, which worked, changed things.

Is there a website out there with info about the shuttle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Shuttle info is here: http://genconshuttle.com/ . It was good, I felt, though my hotel was pretty close (~3 miles from the convention center) and it picked me up right in front of it. Only some minor issues, though it was somewhat expected since last year was the first time the shuttle ran. The 4 day pass also cost as much as my cab ride from the airport to my hotel so I definitely think the pricing was fair.

I think I posted about this earlier in this thread but we are doing a more formal push now for the below event. If you have an hour free on Saturday afternoon during this 2pm slot stop by the Westin to check out a 12 minute screener of the Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary we have been working on followed by a panel with some of us that are on the crew. I'm the archivist and a co-producer for the project and we have definitely been getting good stuff for it and it is pulling together well.

~~~

If you're into roleplaying or tabletop gaming then you've maybe, just maybe, heard about a game called Dungeons & Dragons. And if you've followed our Kickstarter then you've heard about a film called Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary. A film about the godfather of contemporary gaming and even entertainment; everything from True Dungeon to League of Legends.

We've been in production for our documentary that explores the origins of the game, the story of its founders, and how it continues to influence so many aspects of today's culture. From how we interact at live events like Gen Con, to how we are helping educate our children and even mental health. According to one of our interviews, if you're on Facebook, then you're roleplaying.

Some exciting news for us -- we will be hosting a panel at GenCon where we will screen a 12-minute clip of the film and do a Q&A with the filmmakers. We're currently at a crucial point in the edit of the film and therefore will welcome your support. Why does Dungeons & Dragons speak to you? What aspects of our screener would you like to see more of?
If you're at Gen Con, our panel will be on Saturday, August 16th, at 2pm, at the Westin: Capitol I. More info at https://gencon.com/events/66470.

If you come by please know that your time and your support will be graciously appreciated. We want to get to know you and understand why Dungeons & Dragons has gained your curiosity!

To learn more about our film, please visit our website.

Come by and visit! If you can't, please feel free to email us at: a20sidedstory@gmail.com

Thanks so much!

Anthony Savini and The Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary team

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I finally got the vacation approval from work to attend this year. It sucks it came in so late but still, finding out late is better than never right?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Has anyone gotten their hotel confirmation emails yet?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Good news for people who like sitting in hallways and playing games; It sounds like I'll actually be able to make it after all. I'll have to stay 10 miles from the center (which sucks hard for many reasons), but yay. It's not 100% finite, but pretty close at this point. Time to start organizing an Archipelago game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I think I posted about this earlier in this thread but we are doing a more formal push now for the below event. If you have an hour free on Saturday afternoon during this 2pm slot stop by the Westin to check out a 12 minute screener of the Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary we have been working on followed by a panel with some of us that are on the crew. I'm the archivist and a co-producer for the project and we have definitely been getting good stuff for it and it is pulling together well.
I signed up for that immediately upon seeing it. Or hearing about it. Whatever. I am stoked.

And today Ernie Gygax totally LIKED something I posted on Facebook; this year's Gen-Con is shaping up to be the BEST EVER! :smith: wait :smugdog: there we go

Len posted:

I finally got the vacation approval from work to attend this year. It sucks it came in so late but still, finding out late is better than never right?
YAY

Countblanc posted:

Good news for people who like sitting in hallways and playing games; It sounds like I'll actually be able to make it after all. I'll have to stay 10 miles from the center (which sucks hard for many reasons), but yay. It's not 100% finite, but pretty close at this point. Time to start organizing an Archipelago game.
YAY

YAY!!!

Everyone come meet me so you can find out to your sheer terror that I behave far closer in real life to my online persona than seems likely or appropriate!

At least until my extrovert disguise wears off and I go hide for a while.

Have I mentioned lately how excited I am that after years of trying to figure out how to get the "terrible cosplayers" picture off the Gen-Con Wikipedia article, all I had to do was upload some better pictures and magically someone else shuffled it away? Good times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Countblanc posted:

I would be up for giving that a try. I found out I could make it too late to get into any of the ticketed events I wanted to try.

Has anyone had any exper experience with the mega bus? It sounds like that's what we're taking this year since none of us trust our cars to make it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Megabus is spotty. It will get you there, but no guarantee it will be on time (either leaving or arrival). It is known for being hours late and breaking down. If you haven't bought tickets yet, price check with Greyhound first. This close to the travel date it should be a comparable cost and Greyhound is known to be much more reliable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

nesbit37 posted:

Megabus is spotty. It will get you there, but no guarantee it will be on time (either leaving or arrival). It is known for being hours late and breaking down. If you haven't bought tickets yet, price check with Greyhound first. This close to the travel date it should be a comparable cost and Greyhound is known to be much more reliable.

How spotty we talking? Looking up the greyhound its a 12 hour trip instead of four and about $100 more. Plus if we took the greyhound we wouldn't be getting into Indy until 5am Thursday and would have to leave super early Sunday.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Len posted:

How spotty we talking? Looking up the greyhound its a 12 hour trip instead of four and about $100 more. Plus if we took the greyhound we wouldn't be getting into Indy until 5am Thursday and would have to leave super early Sunday.

:lol: Why would you even consider Greyhound in this situation? Bus trips are an adventure no matter what carrier you're on, so just take the cheaper and much shorter option and go with the flow. You'll be fine, I promise!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Len posted:

How spotty we talking?

http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/megabus-high-cost-low-price/

edit: obviously you shouldn't take greyhound if the price is greatly different and the schedule doesn't work. It doesn't hurt to look into companies with better track records though.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2014

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

I would be up for giving that a try. I found out I could make it too late to get into any of the ticketed events I wanted to try.

Good stuff. Hopefully we can rope Trynaut into teaching it again because I'm super rusty and he did a great job last year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Has anyone had any experience with the mega bus? It sounds like that's what we're taking this year since none of us trust our cars to make it.
Hey now, never underestimate the sheer joy possible from trying to take a car that has no business on the Interstate to a time-sensitive important event!

Oh, maybe that does not sound like fun to you. But it sounds like the American equivalent of the Dakar Rally to me, and that just fills me with delight. I WANT TO LIVE VICARIOUSLY THROUGH YOUR POTENTIAL SUFFERING, LEN

Reading the stories on the official forums from the people who make my attendance track record look pathetic is always an enjoyable way to pass the time, not that they are ever collated in one place. One person (maybe even in the 40 Years of Gen Con book?) talked about assuming at least one breakdown in the course of the drive and adding in 8 hours to their assumed drive time as a result, which is just great.

Other methods of overcoming the odds include alternative housing--apparently in the earlier Milwaukee days they had not yet bothered to get any sort of reliable security staff in place, so a half-dozen dudes living out of their van in the stadium parking lot nearby and "showering" in the bathroom sinks every morning was particularly common. Of course, that probably helped make up for the fact that there were about 10% as many hotel rooms within walking distance of the convention there as there are in Indianapolis.

This is a far cry from these days when people who doze off in the hallways will probably be woken up within 10 minutes.

What I am saying is, WE ARE ONLY BARELY OVER TWO WEEKS AWAY

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quarex posted:

Hey now, never underestimate the sheer joy possible from trying to take a car that has no business on the Interstate to a time-sensitive important event!

We did that last year and ended up sitting at a mechanics for four hours waiting for them to come back from buying a part for the jeep. The original thought was rent a car but the megabus is a LOT cheaper for us.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

Other methods of overcoming the odds include alternative housing--apparently in the earlier Milwaukee days they had not yet bothered to get any sort of reliable security staff in place, so a half-dozen dudes living out of their van in the stadium parking lot nearby and "showering" in the bathroom sinks every morning was particularly common. Of course, that probably helped make up for the fact that there were about 10% as many hotel rooms within walking distance of the convention there as there are in Indianapolis.

Now I'm disappointed there hasn't been a Gencon Goon Van project, to make the ultimate Gencon goon base. It can't be any worse than cramming into a regular sized hotel room with 8 people. It probably would be.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
See all these travel horror stories are things I will never get to experience. I kind of feel left out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, see!? Travel nightmares sound great! I mean, they are only great as stories to tell after the fact, and when they are happening you basically want to explode, but still!

Len posted:

We did that last year and ended up sitting at a mechanics for four hours waiting for them to come back from buying a part for the jeep. The original thought was rent a car but the megabus is a LOT cheaper for us.
Like this!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Now I'm disappointed there hasn't been a Gencon Goon Van project, to make the ultimate Gencon goon base. It can't be any worse than cramming into a regular sized hotel room with 8 people. It probably would be.
I am also surprised actually. The people who cannot really afford to attend seem to be doing reasonable things like "not going" or "crashing with someone" rather than "borrowing someone's beater van and living out of it."

OH AND SORT OF RELATED TO ALL THIS I am about to cancel my needlessly-expensive reservation at the Embassy Suites Indianapolis Downtown, if someone wants to try to call and be like "hey I hear an EXECUTIVE CORNER SUITE might be available from August 13-17?!?"

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
What's better than going to Gen Con? Going to Gen Con and not having to pay for your own badge :c00lbert:.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Backno posted:

What's better than going to Gen Con? Going to Gen Con and not having to pay for your own badge :c00lbert:.

Yeah, I'll be rocking the GM badge swag this year, too. (Once I pick it up and turn my regular badge back in for that sweet refund.)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Backno posted:

I get a press badge every year. The down side is that I can't pick it up until Thursday morning and then have to brave the lines to get my event tickets.

8one6
May 20, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

I get a press badge every year. The down side is that I can't pick it up until Thursday morning and then have to brave the lines to get my event tickets.

My friends and I will call, and had to stand in that line an entire two minutes last year.
/VIG brag

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Backno posted:

That is right, brah :c00l: This will be my second year of a complementary badge for being an Auctioneer. And yet I am still doing it wrong by tagging onto my friend's V.I.G. badge and paying $40 anyway :smug: but oh, how much free hot chocolate I drink.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

That is right, brah :c00l: This will be my second year of a complementary badge for being an Auctioneer. And yet I am still doing it wrong by tagging onto my friend's V.I.G. badge and paying $40 anyway :smug: but oh, how much free hot chocolate I drink.

Once I am done with school my wife and I will probably try to do the VIG at least once. Hell will probably save it for the 10 year wedding anniversary.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

8one6 posted:

My friends and I will call, and had to stand in that line an entire two minutes last year.
/VIG brag

How much is VIG and do you think it's worth it? I've thought about doing it before because I want the premium hotel poo poo and the ability to feel superior to the other nerds.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Sigma-X posted:

How much is VIG and do you think it's worth it? I've thought about doing it before because I want the premium hotel poo poo and the ability to feel superior to the other nerds.

It's $540, and I think it usually isn't, but it depends on how you value stuff like the early access to the dealer hall (although you can't buy anything in that period) and the separate housing block.

My group has never had too many issues with the housing (although we do set aside the afternoon and go nuts trying to book), and the swag bag sounds nice, but not $500 nice.

EDIT: Also, this year it sold out in like 5 minutes because another VIG perk is getting to buy your badge and stuff for next year at this year's con, so when badges go on sale, there already aren't that many left.

CellBlock fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 30, 2014

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

CellBlock posted:

It's $540, and I think it usually isn't, but it depends on how you value stuff like the early access to the dealer hall (although you can't buy anything in that period) and the separate housing block.

You can buy stuff at early access, I have in the past. You can also get that by going to Trade Day. Much cheaper and it doesn't run out like VIG though you need to meet the requirements. This is the first year in a little while that I haven't been given a free trade day badge for running a trade session.

The hotel block seems like the best benefit to the VIG. I have a feeling it might be better for those who need to or like to take a lot of breaks as well. I just don't see myself using the lounge, and I don't know what is in that swag bag but can it really be worth it? I dunno, maybe you need to experience VIG once to really know. Not that it matters unless they start really bumping up the number of slots offered for it, especially with previous VIGs getting priority over new ones.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

I think for new VIGs it's something like $550. My group splits the cost if the VIG + companion badges across the four of us so it's basically a $200 badge as opposed to a normal $75 badge.

I definitely think it's worth it, if for no other reason than you don't have to worry about the Gen Con room lottery. Add onto that the hour early entry into the dealer hall, which is a great time to get the con exclusives/must haves before the other 60k attendees flood in. There's also the VIG lounge which is comfortable, has wifi, and offers free drinks.

I know it's kind of a silly thing to factor in, but the VIG program also is the only way you get a swag bag anymore. Every year it's been one of the Gen Con messenger bags stuffed with stuff from vendors. In years past my group has gotten complete boardgames, hardcover RPG supplements, dice, gamer soap, etc.

There's also VIG exclusive events like gaming with industry people, VIG (and companion) only slots for True Dungeon, game demos run by companies.

And the VIG lounge has beanbag chairs the size of couches.

Totally worth it IMO.

nesbit37 posted:

You can buy stuff at early access, I have in the past. You can also get that by going to Trade Day. Much cheaper and it doesn't run out like VIG though you need to meet the requirements. This is the first year in a little while that I haven't been given a free trade day badge for running a trade session.

The hotel block seems like the best benefit to the VIG. I have a feeling it might be better for those who need to or like to take a lot of breaks as well. I just don't see myself using the lounge, and I don't know what is in that swag bag but can it really be worth it? I dunno, maybe you need to experience VIG once to really know. Not that it matters unless they start really bumping up the number of slots offered for it, especially with previous VIGs getting priority over new ones.

The Bag itself usually runs $60 retail, and is always stuffed with about $100 worth of stuff (depending on what companies want to take part and what they add into the bag.)

The lounge sounds silly until about day two when you're feet are tired and you want to sit in a quiet place for a few minutes and don't want to haul all the way back to your room.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 30, 2014

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

WhiteHowler posted:

Is there a list anywhere of press-exclusive events, or do you just need to know the right people? I haven't had a press badge for a few years, but I'm hoping to up my game this time around.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DNA Cowboys posted:

Is there a list anywhere of press-exclusive events, or do you just need to know the right people? I haven't had a press badge for a few years, but I'm hoping to up my game this time around.
There aren't any Gencon-organized press-only events, aside from early access to the vendor hall on Thursday.

We do tend to get priority on game demos and access to game designers, but that's all through relationships we've built outside of Gencon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

WhiteHowler posted:

Can't you pick it up on Wednesday? I ask because I know I have seen press badges at Trade Day before because they have been in my events and asked questions for blogs and such afterwards.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

nesbit37 posted:

Can't you pick it up on Wednesday? I ask because I know I have seen press badges at Trade Day before because they have been in my events and asked questions for blogs and such afterwards.
According to the press packet, they have to be picked up Thursday morning at the press room. The standard press badge doesn't get you trade day access, unless they've changed something since 2012.

I can double check, but there's only one person coordinating what I assume is several hundred press outlets, so getting questions answered is sometimes difficult.

It doesn't matter that much. Aside from a few interviews and demos, I'm mainly there to experience the event as an attendee, and then write about it.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
For anyone who cares, you can order stuff off the CSI web site and pick it up at their Gencon booth. Kind of a cool idea, not sure if they have done that before.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
:guinness: THE GOON BEER TOUR AND GENERAL INDY BEER INFO :guinness:

What? A walking tour of downtown Indy breweries and bars led by a local drunk/goon.
When? Thursday August 14th at 3:30pm until "question mark"
Where? We will meet at the NORTHEAST entrance to the convention center, AKA Capitol and Washington MARYLAND Streets.
No, I meant where are we going? Flat 12, Sun King, (MAYBE Indiana City or Outliers), Tomlinson Tap Room, MacNiven's. Here have A MAP! It's almost 4 miles if we walk the whole thing, but I know that many of you are fat and lazy so we will HOPEFULLY take an Uber or something to the first destination (Flat 12), which will cut the walking nearly in half!
Who can come? Whoever the gently caress wants to! Goons and non-goons are equally welcome.
Why is this on Thursday? Because it's when I have time, and because these places get loving packed on Friday nights, especially when conventions are in town! Trust me, it's better this way.

I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

camoseven fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 8, 2014

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I can't make the beer tour, but would love to know what local beers that are available (preferably on tap) within walking distance are worth seeking out. Last year I went to the RAM most days for late lunch/early dinner and tried everything they had. I didn't go looking for much better beer since it seemed you needed a car/cab to get to the worth while breweries and I was in town to game far more than try tasty local offerings.

edit: Just to be clear, the above list is appreciated for sure but I am looking more for info about good single beers, though if everything a place makes is delicious well then that is great as well.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

camoseven posted:

I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

You forgot my favorite Gen Con place to eat Thursday-Saturday Loughmiller's. I had lunch/dinner with several goons last year and they can attest that it's solid food and beer without having to walk real far and without having to wait forever like most of the big name places.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

nesbit37 posted:

I can't make the beer tour, but would love to know what local beers that are available (preferably on tap) within walking distance are worth seeking out. Last year I went to the RAM most days for late lunch/early dinner and tried everything they had. I didn't go looking for much better beer since it seemed you needed a car/cab to get to the worth while breweries and I was in town to game far more than try tasty local offerings.

edit: Just to be clear, the above list is appreciated for sure but I am looking more for info about good single beers, though if everything a place makes is delicious well then that is great as well.

For local beers you want to go to Tomlinson Tap Room on the second floor of the City Market (which is a great lunch spot, BTW). Tomlinson ONLY serves beer made in Indiana, and frequently has local one off kegs and delicious 3 Floyd's beers. Google Maps tells me it is 0.7 miles away!

Pearl Street Pizza (0.4 miles) has good pizza and usually has a good selection of local stuff on tap.

Sun King (1.1 miles), Flat 12 (1.8 miles), and Fountain Square Brewing (1.7 miles) are the closest local breweries. Sun King does tastings but not pints, while Flat 12 and Fountain Square do both. I strongly recommend Flat 12. Actually, Tow Yard (0.5 miles) and Chily Water (1.2 miles) are the closest, but I haven't been to either (and the business model of Tow Yard pisses me off, so I can't recommend it).

MacNiven's (1 mile) and Mass Ave Pub (1.5 miles) are the closest places to get high quality non-local craft beer, including Belgians and various "whales" like Goose Island Bourbon County Stout (which they will not have during GenCon, but that's the kind of thing they get).

Crown Liquors (0.8 miles) and Big Red (0.5 miles) are the closest liquor stores, and they both have decent local selections.

I hope this was helpful!

Edit:

Backno posted:

You forgot my favorite Gen Con place to eat Thursday-Saturday Loughmiller's. I had lunch/dinner with several goons last year and they can attest that it's solid food and beer without having to walk real far and without having to wait forever like most of the big name places.

I was wondering how long it would take you to point this out :lol: I have never been there and as a non-meat-eater the food does not appeal to me, but other goons should go and eat there and get drunk and puke in the bathroom wait what is going on

camoseven fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Oh, snap, that sounds awesome. Stupid TrueDungeon and Dark Dungeons premiere. :mad: Maybe I'll ditch Dark Dungeons to catch up with you lot.

I'll totally vouch for Patachou for breakfast, though, that place is amazing.

Thanks for the R Bistro rec, also, since I was looking for a place to take my wife on Saturday night.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
People that can't make the start are more than welcome to catch up with us later. If NO ONE can make the start, then... I dunno. We can push it back an hour, but the breweries all close at 7 so the later we start the more rushed we'll be!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It sounds like a blast, but my budget is tight this year and craft beer is expensive. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Countblanc posted:

It sounds like a blast, but my budget is tight this year and craft beer is expensive. :\

Free samples at the breweries, and once you get a few in you you'll forget all about your budget!

• Locked thread