Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Why would you do this? http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/4593177908.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Pull the front lip and drive it till the HG pops again. Whats the problem?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I didn't know the LGBT and bōsōzoku communities had that much overlap.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I'm not looking for a pos honda. I want a clean car. :negative:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

McSpatula posted:

I'm not looking for a pos honda. I want a clean car. :negative:

Son of a bitch! I had a slammed CRV I wanted to swap with him!

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I picked up a 99 Forester SOHC 5spd off of Craigslist for $1400, the only real issue is that it had its blown EJ25 swapped out for the somewhat common EJ20 SOHC JDM engine. A hilarious side effect of this swap is the sweet JDM dual air filter setup!

Album link

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DJ Commie posted:

I picked up a 99 Forester SOHC 5spd off of Craigslist for $1400, the only real issue is that it had its blown EJ25 swapped out for the somewhat common EJ20 SOHC JDM engine. A hilarious side effect of this swap is the sweet JDM dual air filter setup!

Album link

Congrats on picking up a Forester, they're good fun.

USDM cars also have the dual air filters, no idea what the gently caress.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's a '99 thing.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah, Subaru had a terrible transition period from MAF -> MAP where they used both and had filters on both and I don't know if anyone ever knew wtf. It only lasted about a year before the MAP-only models were introduced.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DJ Commie posted:

sweet JDM dual air filter setup!

Rally Pedigree :colbert:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's a '99 thing.

My 99 OBS was the same sort of idea, all weird.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
With that dust it looks like the dual filters are doing you a solid.

Also kind of wishing I had swapped a bulletproof EJ20 SOHC into my blown, leaky, rickety EJ25D DOHC wagon. Then I remember that it was a New York car and all of the rust it had and gently caress that.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Talking about rickety DOHC EJ25 wagons, we recently bought a 1998 Forester that sounds like it's way overdue for valve clearance adjustments.
I don't have the tool to depress the buckets with the cams in place. Given that, is it worth trying to replace shims with the engine in the car, or should I just get straight to pulling it?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I finally got my '04 impreza 2.5 ts wagon back on the road after sitting for over a year. removed the engine and did the headgasket, plugs/wires, oil pan, timing belt/gears, clutch, and more. It runs smoother than any subaru I've been in. Only issues are the throttle sticks open, it seems to be the spring where the throttle cable connects is messed up or loose or something. I need to take a closer look but it should be something simple. I'll most likely end up selling it now that I have a Fiesta ST so expect a sale post soon.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Crushed by a tree, infested with bees, and flooded by rain. Sad day for a Subie:

http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/07/31/tree-crushes-car-in-denver/13417909/

:(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
gently caress, that rear quarter was immaculate. gently caress YOU, TREES.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Who has the best prices on our OEM oil filters (15208AA12A) these days? I'm down to ~5 from my last bulk order of 20 at $4.30/ea, but that vendor has mysteriously disappeared off amazon. :sigh:

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
Cheapest I have seen is the case of 12 on amazon prime for $63 bucks. That comes out to $5.25 a pop. If anyone has a cheaper price, I am all ears. I need to buy a bunch myself. You could also price watch amazon since you have a few to last you a while. I have seen prices fluctuate wildly based on which seller has inventory in Amazon's warehouse at any given time.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I get the OEM blue non turbo filters from http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_92&products_id=1521

5.55 per, they sell them in 6 packs. I drunkenly ordered 18 a year ago and haven't looked back. Getting low on them though.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
loving PLASTIC END TANKS! Managed to get it home without the needle hitting the red, just barely. Didn't have my OBD2 reader, so couldn't figure out what the temperature was actually getting to, but that was a whole lot of not fun. Especially when it picked doing 85 on I90 as the ideal time to suddenly spike from normal to OHSHIT HOT.

So people like Mishimoto radiators for replacements? I notice there are two different ones, one that's all Aluminum and one that still has plastic tanks on it. Which do people usually get?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The first sentence in your post answers the last sentence in your post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Fort Collins, Co area? I'm going to need an alignment, so I don't want to drive super far from there.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

fralbjabar posted:

loving PLASTIC END TANKS! Managed to get it home without the needle hitting the red, just barely. Didn't have my OBD2 reader, so couldn't figure out what the temperature was actually getting to, but that was a whole lot of not fun. Especially when it picked doing 85 on I90 as the ideal time to suddenly spike from normal to OHSHIT HOT.

So people like Mishimoto radiators for replacements? I notice there are two different ones, one that's all Aluminum and one that still has plastic tanks on it. Which do people usually get?

Mishimoto's had QC issues in the past, but I'm happy with their products, and their no questions asked lifetime warranty (used it once for minor thread issues, and their customer service went above and beyond to satisfy me). Koyo makes a solid product too.

Also, as far as oil filters go, it looks like fredbeansparts has the best deal at $4.37/ea ($8.17 to ship $20 from PA to CA).

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Fort Collins, Co area? I'm going to need an alignment, so I don't want to drive super far from there.

SCR performance in Loveland would be my first choice. Six Star Cars in Greeley would probably be my second choice.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

fralbjabar posted:

They're cheap and people seem to be happy with them. I get free shipping on them from my distributor so send me an email or PM and I can get you a price.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I am super pleased with the all alu mishi in the rally car. I also tested the poo poo out of the car to make sure the rad was 100%.

Car is way cooler on temps and I can push it without issue. Even if the core is less efficient, it is still 200% thicker than the OEM rad.

Order through jamal. If you are a true baller and want to have the best of the best, get a koyo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

See, if I could do it over again, I would have just put another OEM radiator in.

The plastic may have cracked after 100,000 miles, but I only had 20k miles on the alu replacement until very marginal clearance issues caused me to have an upper hose rupture.

It seems like there's about 0.5mm leeway between having the hoses too long, causing the fan or the PS pump to slowly chew away at them or having the hose too short and being worried that the clamps won't old because there's not hose on the connectors.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Edward IV posted:

It's been over a year since I got my 2012 Impreza with the CVT and, while I love it, I feel like it could use some more power and power response. However, I want the practicality of a wagon and the fuel economy of the newer engines. So neither the old or new model WRX is an option unless I forgo one of those requirements or hold out for Subaru to come out with a WRX wagon.

I feel your pain. I was all set to turn in my '12 Legacy for a '15 WRX Hatchback the day it came out and... well, you know how that ended. I toyed with the idea of getting an Outback 3.6R - but at nearly $36k+ just to get a moonroof, it was too much money. I even test drove a couple Cadillac CTS Wags - phenomenal value used as they're a perfect storm of horrific depreciation - American (strike one) luxury (strike two) wagon (strike three) and not especially fuel economical. But my wife wasn't happy with me spending that much money on a used car with no warranty, so...

I pick up my '15 Forester XT Premium on Wednesday.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I'm not having much luck finding a 05 STi center diff. Any goons know of any for sale?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sarcastx posted:

I feel your pain. I was all set to turn in my '12 Legacy for a '15 WRX Hatchback the day it came out and... well, you know how that ended. I toyed with the idea of getting an Outback 3.6R - but at nearly $36k+ just to get a moonroof, it was too much money. I even test drove a couple Cadillac CTS Wags - phenomenal value used as they're a perfect storm of horrific depreciation - American (strike one) luxury (strike two) wagon (strike three) and not especially fuel economical. But my wife wasn't happy with me spending that much money on a used car with no warranty, so...

I pick up my '15 Forester XT Premium on Wednesday.

Oh well, what are you going to do, right? Happy wife, happy life. =P

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

Album link

Why does my car have red struts? This thing has some stiff damping on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If it's a KYB it will have the Subaru part number on the housing, you can cross reference that against whatever car it came out of. If they're inverted (thick shaft) it's probably 04 STI.

Your ride height is a touch low for a Forester so they are probably Impreza-series struts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If your guy bought a front clip for that JDM motor they usually throw the struts in with it and it could be those.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also, they're not inverted struts (no mounting nut on the bottom), so they're probably from a WRX of some description. Probably a v7 wagon.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I've been enjoying the 35:65 power split after doing my 6spd swap, and I've been looking to get more out of it from those fancy controllers out there.

Besides MAPDCCD and DCCDPro, are there any other DCCD controllers that I should be looking at? It'll most likely be sitting in auto 95% of the time, but I wouldn't mind the multiple map functionality or those rare occasions where I'll want to dial it in manually.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McSpatula posted:

I've been enjoying the 35:65 power split after doing my 6spd swap, and I've been looking to get more out of it from those fancy controllers out there.

Besides MAPDCCD and DCCDPro, are there any other DCCD controllers that I should be looking at? It'll most likely be sitting in auto 95% of the time, but I wouldn't mind the multiple map functionality or those rare occasions where I'll want to dial it in manually.

Very happy with my DCCD pro.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
I think I'm cursed. Every time I do major work or spend a day detailing the WRX, something bad happens like an accident or something dumb breaking.

Snapped a ball joint while enjoying a corkscrew onramp, lost nearly 3qts of not even week old motul 300, because it unseated the axle at the trans. :negative:

It's time to strip/cage this out and turn it into a trailer queen.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How many miles are on that thing?

it seems like way too new of a car to fail like that.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
It's just shy of 34,XXX miles. I agree that it shouldn't be happening this soon, but poo poo happens when you're cursed. :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

McSpatula posted:

It's just shy of 34,XXX miles. I agree that it shouldn't be happening this soon, but poo poo happens when you're cursed. :spooky:

Under warranty then (right?).