Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

New question of the day: Op 003-B, Secret Mission 5, Hard, is loving my poo poo up. It's the one with three of those dragon assholes who shield themselves with their wings and you have to pry them open. With three of those assholes at once I can't keep up with the amount of poo poo going down and the Standard Panic Response (Bomb -> Liner) doesn't seem to damage them. Any particular attacks I should be looking to bait and counter or am I just going to have to try and get impossibly good at dodging? (Seriously, it feels like most of their attacks can't be dodged, and I don't know if any can be Guts'd since they're all about biting and claws and fire).

I didn't have anything better to do, so I just spent like an hour getting a Pure Plat in that fight just for you :v:. I did find a pretty reliable strategy, though!

Before the fight, equip Hero Time and remove Dodge Mine (the extra damage from the mines will just ruin your combo score) and Drill Spring (it's just plain awful in general) if you have them equipped. Once the fight starts, draw a hammer and get some free hits on one of the dragons before they start moving, and then just dodge like hell. When you're chaining dodges (dodge again as soon as the previous dodge ends) you can't be hit and the dragons throw enough attacks around that you should be able to trigger Hero Time without even really trying. Dodging during a missile barrage and dodging straight into the soundwave attack seem to be particularly reliable ways to trigger it. Whenever you trigger Hero Time, find the closest dragon that isn't shielding and do a Hammer Rising -> normal air attack -> Hammer Rising combo and dodge away as soon as the second Rising connects*. If you aren't right next to a dragon when you trigger Hero Time you'll probably want to leave out the third or even the second hit so that you aren't in the middle of an attack when the slowdown runs out; basically, the idea is that if you're ever not in Hero Time you want to be dodging constantly so that you can be in Hero Time again and do the three hit hammer combo safely.

The small hammer should do enough damage to give you a Platinum rank for time, and since you get 100 combo points for dodging when you trigger Hero Time and 50 points for each Rising you should be good on combo points, too. The only things to really watch out for are if all the dragons shield at the same time (switch to claws long enough to pry one or two of them open) or if you run low on battery (try to stay as far away from the enemies as possible until you've recharged a few bars).

*The reason you want to dodge-cancel the second Rising early is that if you don't it'll put you so high up that your airdodge animation will end before you reach the ground. That means that there's a tiny window after your airdodge before you can dodge again, which leaves you vulnerable and will screw you over if you're going for a Platinum damage rank in this fight.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, those dragons have a stomp attack that can be blocked.
By the way, what's bad about Drill Spring? I've been using it all game.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

blakyoshi posted:

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, those dragons have a stomp attack that can be blocked.
By the way, what's bad about Drill Spring? I've been using it all game.

The problem with Drill Spring is that if you hit something that blocks attacks with it, it breaks and knocks out your entire team, leaving you a sitting duck. If you're fighting things that can't block it's fine, but in most fights it just ends up restricting your mobility and isn't really worth the risk, especially when dodge mines serve pretty much the same purpose anyway.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
On Chapter 5 during the Vorkken fight (I think? The volcano mission battle), I've had the game lock up with the speakers playing whatever the last sound made was for about 5 or so seconds before cutting out, and having to turn the WiiU off and back on using the console's power button as the gamepad no longer responds. This has happened on the two separate occasions I have played this mission, but when I reload the game and attempt the fight again, I've managed to blow through it before the crash occurs again. The disc itself doesn't appear to be damaged, and this is the only instance of something like this occurring I've seen, having played the game through on Normal. Is this a thing that anyone else has had problems with or do I have a hosed up copy (got it from GameStop, it was their only copy left and was probably used but I still bought it anyway because I'm an idiot :v:)? Would encountering this crash every time I decide to play Mission 5 be damaging to my WiiU?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've actually had that problem happen, too, although I don't recall if it was at that exact spot or maybe a different Vorkken fight or something. It happened 2-3 times in basically the same spot, then I was able to change something (can't remember what) about how I tackled the fight and it ended up okay. I've noticed no ill effects to my system from those hard locks, and it's been like half a year since I played through the game.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
How do the overall rankings overall rankings of the operation work? I assumed it was some sort of average of your rankings on each mission within the operation, but I just got a Bronze on Operation 001-B even though I got a Gold or better on every mission (including the Kakoo-Regah), mostly Platinums and Pure Platinums.

Maybe it was a bug though? I played the Operation a couple of times, and one time through I had to fight through four extra Diedough-Goos and a Dahkart in Mission 7.

The only thing I could think of is I had to retry the Kakoo-Regah a few times, even though I ultimately got a Pure Platinum on the mission. Maybe the stats from the failed Kakoo-Regah attempts count in your overall operation rank for some reason??

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but each time you choose to retry a Kakoo-Regah it counts as a game over/death, so it sounds like you retried it three or so times before completing it. As far as I can tell the ranking system works the same way as Bayonetta's, so deaths and missed missions will all lower your score, with each death lowering your overall ranking by one rank. You can opt to not retry, then reenter the Kakoo-Regah and I think that won't count as a death. Of course, it just means you have to wait a long time between retries.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's exactly right, at the end of mission screen you can see how many continues you used and it counts retries in Kahkoo-Regah as dying and using a continue.

I always leave the Kahkoo-Regah and re-enter it but I'm starting to think I should just use the continues and get practice for the mission.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I've actually had that problem happen, too, although I don't recall if it was at that exact spot or maybe a different Vorkken fight or something. It happened 2-3 times in basically the same spot, then I was able to change something (can't remember what) about how I tackled the fight and it ended up okay. I've noticed no ill effects to my system from those hard locks, and it's been like half a year since I played through the game.

I guess as long as it's not something that'll wreck my system then it's not the worst thing in the world. Gonna make replaying for better ranks more of a bitch than it has to be though. :(

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Doc V posted:

I didn't have anything better to do, so I just spent like an hour getting a Pure Plat in that fight just for you :v:. I did find a pretty reliable strategy, though!

Before the fight, equip Hero Time and remove Dodge Mine (the extra damage from the mines will just ruin your combo score) and Drill Spring (it's just plain awful in general) if you have them equipped. Once the fight starts, draw a hammer and get some free hits on one of the dragons before they start moving, and then just dodge like hell. When you're chaining dodges (dodge again as soon as the previous dodge ends) you can't be hit and the dragons throw enough attacks around that you should be able to trigger Hero Time without even really trying. Dodging during a missile barrage and dodging straight into the soundwave attack seem to be particularly reliable ways to trigger it. Whenever you trigger Hero Time, find the closest dragon that isn't shielding and do a Hammer Rising -> normal air attack -> Hammer Rising combo and dodge away as soon as the second Rising connects*. If you aren't right next to a dragon when you trigger Hero Time you'll probably want to leave out the third or even the second hit so that you aren't in the middle of an attack when the slowdown runs out; basically, the idea is that if you're ever not in Hero Time you want to be dodging constantly so that you can be in Hero Time again and do the three hit hammer combo safely.

The small hammer should do enough damage to give you a Platinum rank for time, and since you get 100 combo points for dodging when you trigger Hero Time and 50 points for each Rising you should be good on combo points, too. The only things to really watch out for are if all the dragons shield at the same time (switch to claws long enough to pry one or two of them open) or if you run low on battery (try to stay as far away from the enemies as possible until you've recharged a few bars).

*The reason you want to dodge-cancel the second Rising early is that if you don't it'll put you so high up that your airdodge animation will end before you reach the ground. That means that there's a tiny window after your airdodge before you can dodge again, which leaves you vulnerable and will screw you over if you're going for a Platinum damage rank in this fight.

I'll give this a shot. Cheers for going beyond the call!

Do I even want to know what this fight is on 101%?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, it took me another week before I was even able to play the drat game again but after like a hundred tries I finally nailed that drat fight. I actually used Claws mostly, for the extra cheese factor of being able to freeze some of the assholes for a while, and Whip too, since it seemed to have a good effect on combo. Not sure what the Platinum combo threshold actually was but I got it anyway.

gently caress those things. I am for serious of the opinion that those dragon assholes are straight up badly designed in a way that enemies in Platinum Games generally aren't. They just have too much bullshit going on, and their transition from unshielded to shielded seems to be very poorly coded in that you can be in the middle of slowmo, hitting away with claws or something, and then suddenly BAM, it was shielded! No tell, no nothing, just instant you lose all your guys and now you can't dodge and you're going to take a hit from the spikes coming out, let alone any other nearby enemies.

Oh well.

More Counter questions: do you have to tilt the stick towards the enemy, like in Revengeance, or into the attack? I thought it was towards the enemy but there've been quite a few times where I felt it really should have worked were that the case and it didn't. As is the norm with Platinum Games, I have no idea if I'm just not good enough at it or if I'm just completely doing the wrong thing.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

Idk, I have an easier time with the dragons than trying to wrap my head around the bullshit teleporting/invisible cat assholes. Can't block anything they do since they attack with claws and teeth so you have to dodge like a motherfucker which eats up unite gauge on top of having to spend 2-3 bars making a bomb big enough to slow them down for longer than 2 seconds. I legit do not understand how to fight those things and it's frustrating as poo poo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Vanrushal posted:

Idk, I have an easier time with the dragons than trying to wrap my head around the bullshit teleporting/invisible cat assholes. Can't block anything they do since they attack with claws and teeth so you have to dodge like a motherfucker which eats up unite gauge on top of having to spend 2-3 bars making a bomb big enough to slow them down for longer than 2 seconds. I legit do not understand how to fight those things and it's frustrating as poo poo.

Those guys are annoying, too, but unlike the god drat dragons, they are susceptible to Bomb Liner for an instant gently caress-you once you've decided you've got enough combo.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Well, it took me another week before I was even able to play the drat game again but after like a hundred tries I finally nailed that drat fight. I actually used Claws mostly, for the extra cheese factor of being able to freeze some of the assholes for a while, and Whip too, since it seemed to have a good effect on combo. Not sure what the Platinum combo threshold actually was but I got it anyway.

gently caress those things. I am for serious of the opinion that those dragon assholes are straight up badly designed in a way that enemies in Platinum Games generally aren't. They just have too much bullshit going on, and their transition from unshielded to shielded seems to be very poorly coded in that you can be in the middle of slowmo, hitting away with claws or something, and then suddenly BAM, it was shielded! No tell, no nothing, just instant you lose all your guys and now you can't dodge and you're going to take a hit from the spikes coming out, let alone any other nearby enemies.

Yeah, that's actually the reason I used the hammer, unlike the lighter weapons it doesn't break when hitting the shield.

Fedule posted:

More Counter questions: do you have to tilt the stick towards the enemy, like in Revengeance, or into the attack? I thought it was towards the enemy but there've been quite a few times where I felt it really should have worked were that the case and it didn't. As is the norm with Platinum Games, I have no idea if I'm just not good enough at it or if I'm just completely doing the wrong thing.

I think it's towards the attack, but I haven't really played around with it enough to say for sure.

Vanrushal posted:

The standard strategy I use against the tigers is to hit one with the bomb, do a fully charged team attack, mash X until the enemy gets stunned and then just juggle. The bomb slowdown should generally last long enough to get a stun off and once you are in the air you should be safe from any other tigers in the fight.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I loving hate the big turtle enemies, I know you can Guts block some of their attacks but the rules of the universe demanded any time that would be good to block was a time lava was about to explode under me or the second turtle (There's always more than one loving turtle) bites me.

Hammer is also like, the one shape I can not draw in a rush for some reason (despite being able to whip out unite bomb no problem, when it's THE SAME SHAPE BACKWARDS). The custom block that let me increase size by holding down the A button helped me a lot.

To top it all off, their Gethjerk file description hints that you can grab their hook looking tail or something. But I have not been able to locate anything on the internet about that, nor has going through all of my weapons resulted in any attacks doing jack poo poo to their tails or popping up a QTE prompt.

Like, I tried to use whip like you can on those ground shark things but it would just bounce off, for example.

As for warping guys, I always figured since they were the enemies they introduced Unite Black with, that you were SUPPOSED to use Unite bomb on them when they started basically cheating :downs: Dragon turtle fucks still remain my most hated enemy. But that is likely a combination of "Only hammer can hit them whenever you want", My strange inability to draw hammer quickly (It is a stick with a circle on it guys stop giving me Whip/not counting it as anything at all. you don't gently caress with me this much over circle with stick Bomb), and the Gethjerk file taunting me with some mysterious alternate method I can't get to work or find confirmation of.

Obligatory Vorken chat: I guess I got lucky because I smashed him JUST RIGHT the first fight, and he went down fast. The rest of the fights were "Ugh this is only hard because he's got unlimited battery and then he keeps spamming boomerang which I keep needing to use energy to dodge." It's less that I'm Good (lots of bronze and consolation prizes when when not dying), and more that Vorken was the only boss that felt like I could end SO FAST if I wasn't the worst at keeping my energy high.

Most of my time against the final boss's last form was trying to actually hit his lower left (his right) leg. Everything just loved to whiff past it over and over and over and MOTHER FUCKER YOU ARE RUINING THIS OTHERWISE GREAT BOSS FIGHT.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 27, 2014

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

About the turtles, you can whip grab their tails but only once you've damaged enough of their armor to expose their glowing spot on their back, basically. That's also the time when they stop blocking non-Hammer moves automatically. All grabbing the tail does is momentarily stun them and cancel whatever action they may have been performing at the time.

Whenever two turtles are out at once, they almost always spawn in close enough together where you can stand between them and bait them both to do a single leg stomp. If you get them to do that, you can block both stomps then either choose to focus on one turtle, doing enough attacks to flip them on their back and then going to town, or you can try to kill both by making a big hammer and doing the cyclone as much as you can. You can also opt to slow them with a big Unite Bomb and then go crazy with Hammer Cyclone, too.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Section Z posted:

I loving hate the big turtle enemies, I know you can Guts block some of their attacks but the rules of the universe demanded any time that would be good to block was a time lava was about to explode under me or the second turtle (There's always more than one loving turtle) bites me.

Hammer is also like, the one shape I can not draw in a rush for some reason (despite being able to whip out unite bomb no problem, when it's THE SAME SHAPE BACKWARDS). The custom block that let me increase size by holding down the A button helped me a lot.

To top it all off, their Gethjerk file description hints that you can grab their hook looking tail or something. But I have not been able to locate anything on the internet about that, nor has going through all of my weapons resulted in any attacks doing jack poo poo to their tails or popping up a QTE prompt.

Know why I was asking about Hero Counter earlier? Because it loving wrecks the turtles.

That biting attack they have. You know the one. That one god drat attack that messes everyone up and you hope they never use. Here's the thing though. That attack is highly baitable and very, very punishable, because it is very easy to Hero Counter. The counter gets you a second of invulnerability and instantly forms the largest form of your leaders Unite Morph you can make with the people you have for free. Three good hits with a big hammer should get their armour down to the point where you can break it with a nice big fist and then murder them fast.

They love to use that attack. Just walk in front of their face, get ready to tilt towards it, and wait for nature to take its course.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Section Z posted:

Obligatory Vorken chat: I guess I got lucky because I smashed him JUST RIGHT the first fight, and he went down fast. The rest of the fights were "Ugh this is only hard because he's got unlimited battery and then he keeps spamming boomerang which I keep needing to use energy to dodge." It's less that I'm Good (lots of bronze and consolation prizes when when not dying), and more that Vorken was the only boss that felt like I could end SO FAST if I wasn't the worst at keeping my energy high.

There's actually a really simple way to restore your battery in the Vorkken fights: just run an Attack Liner straight into his army. It works against other enemies too but seems to be particularly effective in the Vorkken fights, probably because every time you hit an enemy you get some energy back and I think each liner hit damages multiple pirates.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The solution to both Panthers and Dragons is the same: liberal use of bomb.

Like, for the Panthers, make the bomb your primary attack and then use multi-morphs. Also, a thing I've noticed is that if you attack liner into an enemy it actually recharges your unite gauge. (e: wow someone else LITERALLY just posted this above me)

Also, if you didn't realize, you can just immediately go into claws when the dragon shuts itself off and do the button mash and the missiles will either disappear if you do it fast enough or you just won't get hit by them.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone got advice for the Vijounne fight in 004-A? It has the appearance of total bullshit. Her regular saw attack comes out instantly and doesn't seem to have any windup or tell. Also, are you allowed to get hit by her hearts if you're going for Pure Platinum? They don't do any damage but I don't trust the game to take that into account.

E: oh loving gently caress me. I PP'd the fight somehow (still would like advice though, I'm not actually sure what the strategy was supposed to be), and then I got a Gold on the next bit because I didn't think a "go forward" mission would have a loving combo requirement. It turns out that that mission saves as soon as you clear it. So there goes the point of 10 or so PP medals. gently caress you, game. gently caress you. Who the gently caress designed this poo poo?

EE: Oh for fucks sake, the next goddamn fight doesn't even have a checkpoint at all! And naturally right after it is an awkward gamepad perspective navigation mission. This game could have been so fun to replay if a few things that don't actually have anything to do with gameplay were rearranged to not be completely dumb...

Fedule fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 28, 2014

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

Anyone got advice for the Vijounne fight in 004-A? It has the appearance of total bullshit. Her regular saw attack comes out instantly and doesn't seem to have any windup or tell. Also, are you allowed to get hit by her hearts if you're going for Pure Platinum? They don't do any damage but I don't trust the game to take that into account.

The key to doing that fight legitimately is to stay in the air where you can't get hit by the saw and to remember that that fight is one of like three points in the game where you have a full moveset even though you're solo. That is, you have a block and a dodge, your X button does a light attack that doesn't drain battery and you even have Rising/Stinger/Cyclone. And no, the getting hit by the hearts won't hurt your rank.

However, there is also a secret trick to trivializing that fight: bring a Geathjerk weapon. A single hit from a Dahkats tail will one-shot her from full health, and I assume other Geath weapons do similar damage. Of course, one-shotting her will ruin you combo score, so you'll have to hit her a bunch with your sword first to get Pure Plat, but that shouldn't be too tough when you can just spam Rising for a bit for 50 combo points per attack.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I know it seems like all I ever do in this thread is complain about poo poo, which is unfortunate, because I love this drat game so much but its varying awesomenesses aren't really news to anyone here.

On that note...

What in the actual flying gently caress is supposed to be the strategy for 009-A, mission 2? It's pretty much the low point of the game for me. The first mission broke me down and made me finally burn a Continue in my Hard Mode run and if I don't find out some new trick that I'm missing (please tell me I'm missing a trick) I'm going to burn another just to get this god drat loving mission over with. Platinum Robo feels like she's made of paper. Half the time I get hit, I have no idea what hit me. Everything is bright white. Enemies attack from far offscreen. The camera is useless. The lock-on is useless. Trying to use it at all outside of a few specific bits causes me to get hit because gently caress if I can pay attention to trying to aim that drat cursor and moving Robo through bullet hell at the same time. Enemies show up from behind with no warning. And if I somehow muddle through to the end, the Ohrowchee just goes "lol fireballs" and I die because there doesn't seem to be any way to dodge the fireballs. Even with a laser and a barrage of fire I just cannot beat it before it gets three fireball spews off (which is what it takes to kill PR from full health on Hard (I have only got that far without taking damage once in like 20 tries)).

Guides are useless. If they even talk about the Ohrowchee at all, they just say "shoot it until it dies" without any mention of fireball spam.

Someone please tell me I am missing something big. Like, there's a way to get Robo to dodge or something. The loving Virgin Victory got a dodgeroll in 006, why can't Robo?!

When I'm done with this I might try and write an actual good GameFAQs guide or something. Lord knows the only one up there is steaming garbage.

E: Oh look he has an AoE melee too. Most of the stuff in this game I complain about is stuff that feels unfair because it maybe wasn't thought through quite as well as it could have been, but this thing seems like it was designed to make people feel like complete poo poo right in the middle of one of the game's greatest gently caress-yeah moments. Which is why I'm so sure I have to be missing something.

EE: OK so I managed to win, somehow, because Robo seemed to be phasing through fireballs. I don't even know what the deal with that is - is it, like, that bullshit bullet hell thing where bullets and your model have bizarre hitboxes? - but like with Vijounne I would appreciate advice on how you're supposed to deal with that mission's assorted bullshit.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 30, 2014

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Yeah, gonna add to the 'what am I missing' party here. All the bullet hell parts completely screw with my score and I suspect will be the hardest part for me getting the Platinum Paragon bottle cap.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

yoshesque posted:

Yeah, gonna add to the 'what am I missing' party here. All the bullet hell parts completely screw with my score and I suspect will be the hardest part for me getting the Platinum Paragon bottle cap.

Out of all the stuff with Vorken, his boomerang is why I died most.

Trying to fly it through the lasers, In the space shooter segment. Because holy poo poo my depth perception in viddy games is questionable at times.

Also I would like to think a reason we here "nothing but complaints" is because so much of the game is awesome that it's too much effort to talk about everything we love about the game. So just bring up things like "Damnit, The final boss was actually pretty awesome despite being the easiest boss fight in the game. But I spent five minutes wiffing against the final form's Left (his right) leg".

I think the only boss I actually got angry with was the first one, and that was only because of buggyness. The Unite Build eye part kept screwing up to the point I had to consult the internet to find, no. I'm doing it right. It just took five times of filling it with 99 people then walking into it myself for it to work. Then the Unite Gun QTE bugged out and the gun formed, but none of the none of the bullets were "hitting" the boss.

The second boss stage made all that up for me forever :allears: Still, my sympathies to all the brave souls trying to get platinum everything. Let alone pure plat.

My pettiest complaint just for the sake of complaning is "Damnit game, why do you make some QTE's need me to press Y and A, not just A? Make up your mind!"

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I just got a bottle cap (and secret character) for activating the Super Unite Morph.

What the gently caress is a Super Unite Morph?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Fedule posted:

I just got a bottle cap (and secret character) for activating the Super Unite Morph.

What the gently caress is a Super Unite Morph?

I'm pretty sure it's a 100-man morph with a secret character's weapon, but it only counts for the ones that are modifications of normal weapons, not ones that are altogether new weapons.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Xad posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a 100-man morph with a secret character's weapon, but it only counts for the ones that are modifications of normal weapons, not ones that are altogether new weapons.

Huh. Well, I got it while I was using Drill, so... I'm not sure what to make of that. But it wasn't the first time I used a 100-man drill.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Fedule posted:

Huh. Well, I got it while I was using Drill, so... I'm not sure what to make of that. But it wasn't the first time I used a 100-man drill.

Well I have no idea then. I had Goggles and Scarf for a while before the game decided to randomly give me the bottlecap when I made a big Scarf morph.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Fedule posted:

009-A, mission 2

So, I just got Pure Plat on this on hard.

General advice:

-First of all, the right stick lock-on is too slow to be useful; on the other hand button mashing Y and X will take out most enemies in a flash. The one thing I did use the lock-on for was taking out gold Cough-Foons while they were firing, since the laser makes them hard to approach head-on.

-You usually want to stick pretty close to the rear outside of a few specific situations, since that gives you more reaction time. The rear-right corner seems usually be the safest place.

-You can often see the enemies' shadows before you the enemies themselves show up on screen. Use that to line yourself up with them and blow them up before they get a chance to act.

-When there are multiple enemy types on screen, you usually want to take out the Tie-Kuus (spinning cannons that shoot a lot of bullets) first, since they can cover the screen in bullets pretty quickly and unlike the other enemies they'll actually aim at you.

-In general, try to position yourself so that the enemy formations fly right into your line of fire.

-Your hitbox seems to be only Platinum Robo's head, though the perspective sometimes makes it kind of tricky to figure out when it's actually hitting something.

Specific sections:

-The first Cough-Foon: after you blow up the first pair of Notoriyeahs (big disc things), just stick to the middle of the screen and you should be able to take the first Cough-Foon out as soon as it spawns.

-The second Cough-Foon wave: a bit later, you'll run into two Cough-Foons at the sides. You actually want to ignore them at first and fire down the middle, since there's a Tie-Kuu wave there that will fill the center with bullets if you let them live. Afterwards, I like to take out the left Cough-Foon with lock-on shots and then shoot down the right one head-on.

-The snake: just shoot a laser at it.

-After the snake, there's a few waves of turtles and then more Tie-Kuus on the left. Afterwards, there's a wave of turtles coming from rear left, so you'll want to move towards the front while shooting the Tie-Kuus so that you have some room to dodge.

-Right after that, there's probably the trickiest part of the level. A pair of Notoriyeahs will show up in front of you, which is your cue to stay away from the rear because another pair is about to spawn behind you. And right after that, you get a wave of three Cough-Foons. My strategy here is to move to the front left to take out the left Cough-Foon before it fires, then wait for the Notoriyeahs to spin out of the way so I can fall to the rear while taking pot shots at them with the lock-on. Once you get to the rear, wait for the middle Cough-Foon to stop firing so that you can move in front of it and take it down. Afterwards, destroying the last Cough-Foon with either the lock on or rapid fire shouldn't be a problem.

-The boss: this is probably the hardest part to do consistently, just because of the fireballs. The way you deal with them is you just try to find a big gap and fly through. Remember that your hitbox is only Platinum Robo's head (probably) and hope that it's where it looks like it is. One thing you can do to make that part slightly easier is using lock-on: while you're tilting the right stick, the fireballs slow down, which makes them slightly easier to get through. After the fireballs, Ohrowchee will move forward and do a melee attack, but you can dodge that easily by hugging the rear right corner.

Ultimately, the mission just boils down to memorizing the enemies' patterns and taking out most of them before they get a chance to attack. Fortunately, the enemies are all completely deterministic, so once you figure out how to solve a section, the same strategy should work pretty consistently. Even after I had everything figured out it still took a while to remember everything and to not make any stupid execution mistakes, but god drat was that results screen satisfying.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Looks like I'm in for another interesting evening then.

More questions! How come I have all of the Finders Keepers (find all the Kahkoo-Regah in 000-00A) bottlecaps, but not You Can Hole Up, But You Can't Hide (find all the Kahkoo-Regah)?

Also, for stuff like this, how do different difficulty modes factor into bottlecaps of the form "get all..." or "get... ...in every mission"? I have a bunch of different stuff discovered in my Normal and Hard runs, and notably I got Silver Saviour on my Hard run after silvering every operation in Hard, so I'm wondering what would happen if I had, say, a bunch of stuff spread out among the different difficulties but at least one platinum for every level between them all. Would I get Platinum Paragon then? What about finding secret missions, or Kahkoo-Regah?

E: From GameFAQs:

quote:

To receieve the achievement "Operation Annihilation", you must complete every secret mission on Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, 101% Hard and Operation 101

This person is full of poo poo, right?

...Right? :shepicide:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 1, 2014

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Fedule posted:

E: From GameFAQs:

This person is full of poo poo, right?

...Right? :shepicide:

Nope! At least you don't have to worry about the Kahkoo-Regahs on anything below normal since they don't show up.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Fedule posted:

More questions! How come I have all of the Finders Keepers (find all the Kahkoo-Regah in 000-00A) bottlecaps, but not You Can Hole Up, But You Can't Hide (find all the Kahkoo-Regah)?

Pretty sure this is for all Kahkoo-Regah on all difficulties where they appear, so Normal, Hard and Hard 101%

quote:

To receieve the achievement "Operation Annihilation", you must complete every secret mission on Very Easy, Easy, Normal, Hard, 101% Hard and Operation 101

At least there's only 10 secret missions across the game, and I don't think this includes Kahkoo-Regahs.

I'm really tempted to write a better gamefaq which includes the Hammer spots but I'm still trying to find them all so :shrug:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

yoshesque posted:

At least there's only 10 secret missions across the game, and I don't think this includes Kahkoo-Regahs.

I'm really tempted to write a better gamefaq which includes the Hammer spots but I'm still trying to find them all so :shrug:

Seriously, the state of GameFAQs re: this game is frankly shameful.

Fun fact: I beat the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah. I am invincible.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Trying to get the Punch Out! bottlecap. I retract my previous statement, I am in fact vincible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just finished the first mission and I'm reasonably certain that there are fish who'd be better at this game than me. I need to hone my kung-fu because my drawing skills are rubbish and I can hardly tell when I'm going to be attacked half the time.

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
For the super unite morph, you actually have to draw the 100 man morph. If you make a smaller one, then charge it up, it doesn't count. Just in case anyone was still wondering why that bottlecap seemed to unlock randomly.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

FalseShockWorker posted:

For the super unite morph, you actually have to draw the 100 man morph. If you make a smaller one, then charge it up, it doesn't count. Just in case anyone was still wondering why that bottlecap seemed to unlock randomly.

I just unlocked that bottlecap and didn't draw a 100-person morph. For me, it unlocked when I used Wonder Future (firey hand) for the first time.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

yoshesque posted:

I just unlocked that bottlecap and didn't draw a 100-person morph. For me, it unlocked when I used Wonder Future (firey hand) for the first time.

Weird, because I had been using scarf for a while before I got the bottlecap.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Only Operation 009 and Epilogue now stand between me and Platinum Paragon. :)

I have come to appreciate that the game itself seems to openly acknowledge how bullshit some of its requirements are; the main giveaway is that Platinum is the highest rank the game asks you to attain uniformly. This means that you're basically permitted one free gold in each mission as a baseline (read: Combo), and can go below that if you offset it by getting Pure Platinums later. Contrast Revengeance, whose ranking system was a whole lot more sensible and whose checkpoint system almost perfect, and as such was comfortable asking you to S-Rank the entire game (and on the hardest difficulty no less). I think I read somewhere that Hideki Kamiya was very surprised that anyone even bothered trying to get Pure Platinum on everything, let alone that some succeeded.

Trying to Platinum, rather than Pure Platinum, this game's operations brings things back around into that ever elusive region of "fun and challenging". The only remaining sore points are boss battles - which remain kinda infuriating by virtue of having no checkpoints (jesus christ I am still so mad about this). I thought trying to do the Epilogue Kahkoo-Regah fight against Giga-Goojin was bad; at least when you failed that you only had to sit through about twenty seconds of loading screens (which is still terrible but hey, small mercies). When you're trying to Platinum 008-C, you have to sit through the entire first two thirds of that sequence, complete with the potential for things to go wrong as you fight your way up the ship. It takes minutes just to get the chance to fight Giga-Goojin again. That sequence of fights wouldn't be very remarkable in a mission because you'd only have to beat it once before moving on. But as part of a boss battle, it's complete bullshit because you have to do it again and again and again and still need to maintain perfection just to make it worth your while to try the bit after. It falls into the oldest terrible-game-design trap there is; making the player bored and then punishing them for being inattentive.

It's a shame, because the Punch Out tribute bosses are really loving cool, and for the most part I'm going to associate them with so much negativity that strictly speaking doesn't even have anything to do with the fights themselves.

I loving love this game. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. Last and final barrier between me and Platinum Paragon is 009-C.

I have accepted that the escape sequence is a stream of bullshit that I'm just going to have to memorize. That's one thing.

But does anyone have advice for dealing with Jergingha-PDF? He always seems to be getting hits in in ways I don't expect, and Ukemi doesn't really work in space. And I can't practice because motherfucking boss checkpoints so I'm kinda reliant on you guys for stratagems and protips here. Hey, if I can perfect all three fights I can eat a continue on the escape!

E: If I'm going to keep asking for advice here I reckon the last I can do is share some tips I've found for the other two forms.

For the first form; the tentacles are annoying in that they distract you and potentially can damage you, and also cause you to burn Meter on getting big enough morphs to deal with them, except, here's the thing; you don't actually need to attack them yourself. Just go jump onto the little port they're poking out of (or use a Wonder Rising with the smallest available Morph), and watch as your 190 buddies proceed to atomize the motherfucker in two seconds flat. Don't even use climb attack, just walk under them or jump into them. One dead tentacle, zero meter burned, proceed to wreck the brain-case things with your 200-man fist, guilt free.

Second form: I'm pretty sure everyone already knows this, but just in case, he is vulnerable to the classic Bomb-Liner strategy. So you only need to stun him once (which you can do right at the start, with a timely 200-fist and a bit of luck) and he's dead straight away.

EE: Okay, what the actual loving gently caress. I just cleared all three fights without taking a scratch, but I still got a Bronze for damage. Are you seriously telling me that you have to do the escape section perfectly (or near perfectly) to get a Platinum? Are you loving making GBS threads me?! Why do you keep doing this, Platinum?!

EEE: Someone on GameFAQs is specifically claiming that he got his Platinum specifically by virtue of it not counting the damage in that section. I don't see why he'd lie about this, so what the poo poo is going on?! What do you want from me, Kamiya?!

Fedule fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 4, 2014

• Locked thread