Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

It's shockingly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Finished brewday - poo poo hit the gan countless times, hose exploded as there was a knot i didnt see so water everywhere, somehow when transfering the wort from mash to kettle the tube jumped out, i forgot to put hop filter on so had to empty the hlt transfer 5liter jugs worth at a time over to the hlt and sieve the hops. Prior to that when boiling i had a massive boil over. Oh and the place is now going to take forever to clean up if i wanna brew tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be about to clean this mess up. Hop filter wise the same happened to my Bloody Viking and that turned out amazing after 6months aging.

But I guess atleast i safelty saved the beer.

Edit: Oh and the beer was my rye saison, one with saison yeast from yeast bay, the other saison & brett from yeast bay. :) Sorry if typos. Phone etc.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 31, 2014

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

Aromas of burnt flesh, but a drat tasty stout otherwise?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Jo3sh's Electric Stout

Am I the only one who always reads Jo3sh's name as Joe-three-ish?

Magnetize that poo poo, and report back!

Let's polarize some atoms!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Adventures in Berliner weisse brewing:

Round 1: Use the mash tun cooler for a 3 day sour mash, plastic wrap on top. Result: pukey and cold by day 3.

Round 2: Calculate my first infusion volume so it will just fill up a 6.5 gal carboy, then put that carboy in a cooler with a water bath controlled at 117 degrees with my Sansaire**. I used some uncrushed grain as well as a vial of lactobacillus delbruecki. Wait 3 days. This is super sour and not spoiled at all!

I used a simple 50/50 white wheat/pilsner recipe with ~6 IBUs from a 60 minute Warrior addition (+ .5 lbs corn sugar because I suck at planning), then pitched a shitload of 3rd generation Kolsch yeast (~a pint of thick slurry). This was a completely half-assed recipe, because my home brewery is so messy that I feel like Masaokis, I let the post-boiled wort sit outside for a day before sticking it in the fermenter, and I only gave it from Sunday to Thursday to ferment. It managed to get from 1.042 to 1.010. What I am surprised about the most is how much more sour the end result tastes than the ~110 degree wort from immediately after the sour mash.

Round 3: Brew it like a competent person. I can't wait.

**I use this thing constantly for homebrewing. Besides sour mashing, I batch sparge with a 8 gallon first infusion and use the Sansaire to precisely heat my strike water directly in my round cooler mash tun. I can set it in the morning and get the brew going right away when I get home from work. It's awesome for food too, but I use it every time I brew.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 1, 2014

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
12 SRM is pretty solidly amber, right? Like, if I brewed something that was supposed to be 12 SRM, it wouldn't look like a pale ale?

I think my LHBS got my malt bags mixed up, I bought:

Batch 1 - Amber
8 lbs MO
1 lb Crystal 60
1 lb Munich

Brew calcs say this should be 12 SRM.

Batch 2 - Wheat
6 lbs 2-row
3 lbs wheat malt
1/2 lb honey malt

4 gallon batches, not great efficiency.

So I brewed the amber, hit my OG, and it's not amber. At all. Also it's hazy when cold and I'm pretty sure I can taste honey. It's got lots of fruity late hops in it so that kind of makes the malt taste hard to distinguish. It's been 10 days in the primary fermenter and fermentation is done, yeast has all dropped, etc. So, the bags got mixed up, right?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

BLARGHLE posted:

Am I the only one who always reads Jo3sh's name as Joe-three-ish?

Take it from me, you're not the only one who pronounces it that way. But it's a silent three.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
My first brew, the English Brown Ale, officially turned out great (at least for a first attempt). It was a bit bitter for my tastes but nowhere outside a normal English Ale. There's a bit of a sediment problem but I hope to alleviate it in my next brew with a second bucket addition. That poo poo at the bottom is absurdly pungent.

The other problem I'm having is a carbonation one, of all things. Some bottles are basically barleywine, and others are blowing tops off like champagne (but in the good way, no bottle bombs to speak of in over a month since bottling.) There are two theories: My caps are to blame, or I'm to blame. Firstly, I'm using resealable bottles (the ones with hinges) and I think the caps may not be sealed properly, giving me less carbonation in some bottles than others. I don't think that theory is nearly as likely as that I'm not mixing this poo poo up well enough when I add the sugar. I stirred it up pretty good with my siphon cane when I added it in, but maybe I should mix it up more? What's a good measure of "vigorously mixed"?

Anyways, the way I'm handing it out and bringing it places, I'm going to be out of beer very soon. I'm looking for another recipe. I was considering a red or a porter, but really I want a recipe that's not super hoppy or ridiculously bitter, even though I'm okay with both of those things. Really, it's just got to be bomb proof. The brew supplier I go to has some pre-built packages that are based on award winning recipes but a lot of them have tons of hops.

P.S. I'm officially trademarking Hopocalypse. Do not steal.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Sorry, there's prior art:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3835/46649/

With regard to the sediment issue and the carbonation issue, I think both will be solved by using a bottling bucket.

-- Make up priming syrup by boiling the measured dosage in a pint or two of water
-- Put the syrup in the bottom of your sanitized bottling bucket
-- Rack the beer into the syrup. If you do this so that the curvature of the hose makes the beer swirl a bit, it will practically mix itself.
-- You can give the clear, primed beer in the bucket another stir with a sanitized spoon or your racking cane if you want, but don't kick up a lot of turbulence, which will add air and shorten the shelf life.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 1, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

My first brew, the English Brown Ale, officially turned out great (at least for a first attempt). It was a bit bitter for my tastes but nowhere outside a normal English Ale. There's a bit of a sediment problem but I hope to alleviate it in my next brew with a second bucket addition. That poo poo at the bottom is absurdly pungent.

The other problem I'm having is a carbonation one, of all things. Some bottles are basically barleywine, and others are blowing tops off like champagne (but in the good way, no bottle bombs to speak of in over a month since bottling.) There are two theories: My caps are to blame, or I'm to blame. Firstly, I'm using resealable bottles (the ones with hinges) and I think the caps may not be sealed properly, giving me less carbonation in some bottles than others. I don't think that theory is nearly as likely as that I'm not mixing this poo poo up well enough when I add the sugar. I stirred it up pretty good with my siphon cane when I added it in, but maybe I should mix it up more? What's a good measure of "vigorously mixed"?

Anyways, the way I'm handing it out and bringing it places, I'm going to be out of beer very soon. I'm looking for another recipe. I was considering a red or a porter, but really I want a recipe that's not super hoppy or ridiculously bitter, even though I'm okay with both of those things. Really, it's just got to be bomb proof. The brew supplier I go to has some pre-built packages that are based on award winning recipes but a lot of them have tons of hops.

It likely wasn't mixed enough. That happened to my last batch. Nearly all of my 22oz bottles which I filled first are barely carbonated even two months later and my 12 oz bottles that were great after a couple weeks are now over carbonated.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Almost finished my stir plate, just got to mount it in the case. Taken quite a while as I've been doing it at work during break time but it wasn't too hard. Would definitely recommend building one. Scavenged most of the bits as well so the only cost was the magnets and stir bar for about £4.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

DontAskKant posted:

Has anyone ever brewed with tamarind or sumac?

Don't use sumac - there's something in it that completely destroys beer foam. I experimented with it a little while I was at Goose and every time the sumac berry touched the beer, the head evaporated instantaneously.

I've seen a few breweries experiment with tamarind saisons successfully, so I say go for it.

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
Sumac is the traditional way of making pink lemonade pink. I'd consider trying a skeeter pee with sumac incorporated for a true manly experience.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
If it tastes great... I could do without foam.

I wussed out and just did a dry hop of citra/centennial/cascade and lemongrass for 5 days. Did 14g at boil and 40 in dry hop of lemongrass for 17L.

My brewing partner will be out of town for 3 weeks and i couldn't find any good kaffir lime leaf or curry leaf in Seoul and tamarind and sumac and all the others hibiscus too are better at the end of the boil.

I keep forgetting to do a hibiscus one, the tamarind i have is super weird doesn't taste fresh at all. Really muddy. Its a chopped up pulp with seeds that's wrapped in plastic.

My ideas for the rest of saison season are a session saison maybe 7 or 8 gallons or so using 45 pale 45 wheat and 10 carahell that we had left over from a pale ale we couldn't brew it's been ground for 2 months so hope it's still good.
Session saison (pretty basic)
Torrified Buckwheat version
Hibiscus something or other
Dubbel split in half with cascara and ancho chilli
Torrified jobs tears trappist yeast thing
Prickly pear saison
Something with the belma hops, maybe a rooibos split.
Traditional Chinese/Korean medicine gruit
And a foraging on a mountain split I do with a friend where we try and split a big batch with whatever we find on the mountain. I'm hoping to find some chanterelles because i imagine that aroma would work well. Could be ginseng roots, or berries, or various herbs, maybe some sorrel for a citric acid type boost.

Everything has to be Belgian yeasts because we don't do temp control except for our makgeolli.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012
Day after brew day of my first attempt. Got a started kit in a real ale shop in town on a whim, always wanted to try it though.

All been a little nervewracking. It was bubbling like crazy last night, seems to have calmed down a bit now and is clearing, less scum on the surface too. My friend HAD to go tell me it could be fermenting or it could just be some bacteria having a whale of a time in there. I guess only time will tell until I know?

First lesson was I woefully underestimated the volume of things. I need bigger pots, and a monster strainer..

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I finally got to sample my first batch of IPA, and I am pretty happy with the results. One thing though is that the carbonation is not quite what I expected. I used 1 cup dextrose for a 23L batch (bit less because I didn't quite hit 23L), and left it for two weeks. Is that normal, or did I have a problem with my bottle cap seal? Is the amount of carbonation deliberately low to avoid bottles blowing?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ocrumsprug posted:

I finally got to sample my first batch of IPA, and I am pretty happy with the results. One thing though is that the carbonation is not quite what I expected. I used 1 cup dextrose for a 23L batch (bit less because I didn't quite hit 23L), and left it for two weeks. Is that normal, or did I have a problem with my bottle cap seal? Is the amount of carbonation deliberately low to avoid bottles blowing?

A cup seems like a huge amount.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

FoiledShenanigans posted:

Day after brew day of my first attempt. Got a started kit in a real ale shop in town on a whim, always wanted to try it though.

All been a little nervewracking. It was bubbling like crazy last night, seems to have calmed down a bit now and is clearing, less scum on the surface too. My friend HAD to go tell me it could be fermenting or it could just be some bacteria having a whale of a time in there. I guess only time will tell until I know?

First lesson was I woefully underestimated the volume of things. I need bigger pots, and a monster strainer..

Assuming you followed basic sanitization practices, you'll be fine. What you described sounds like a perfectly normal fermentation, and even seeing bits of things floating on the surface is pretty normal - sometimes the yeast form little party boats.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ocrumsprug posted:

I'm honestly surprised you don't have bottle bombs. A cup of dextrose is a shitload for a 5 gallon batch for priming. Maybe it wasn't mixed very well?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Picked up everything I need to start my oatmeal stout... except for the oatmeal. How the hell did I manage to forget the one ingredient that's part of the name?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

How many weeks did you leave it for? (Also yeah thats alot :ohdear:).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

crazyfish posted:

I'm honestly surprised you don't have bottle bombs. A cup of dextrose is a shitload for a 5 gallon batch for priming. Maybe it wasn't mixed very well?

Fluo posted:

How many weeks did you leave it for? (Also yeah thats alot :ohdear:).

Left it for two weeks, and 1 cup is how much my brew shop was telling me to use. It should have been mixed well enough as I put it in the bottling bucket first and siphoned into it.

I am going to assume that it was something with my cap seals then. I will do a better job with it for the second batch today and see if they explode have better carbonation.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

Left it for two weeks, and 1 cup is how much my brew shop was telling me to use. It should have been mixed well enough as I put it in the bottling bucket first and siphoned into it.

I am going to assume that it was something with my cap seals then. I will do a better job with it for the second batch today and see if they explode have better carbonation.

I had a cap problem with my first ever batch, I was scared of breaking the bottles or breaking my standing capper (lol). When I saw it I could pull the caps off with my hands I worked out that I wasn't pushing down hard enough.

You don't want the caps like this:

You want them like this:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Just kegged my Belgian Amber. Pretty great for warm and flat, although it was a bit more sour than I was expecting - looking forward to it being cold and carbonated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

ocrumsprug posted:

A cup is more than enough to blow the bottles up. :ohdear:

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Had my first bottle break while bottling today - and it was a bomber which I thought were supposed to be more sturdy. Oh well, it was only one.

Also I got a bit fancy with that batch and split it into 3 to do different things to it and that ended up being a pain in the rear end for bottling, will try not to do that again or will at least work out a better system if I do.

On a positive note, I've got a batch in primary, got my best efficiency so far on it, and re-used yeast for the first time and I didn't kill them I guess because I had airlock activity within 6 hours.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Goon Homebrewers,

Trying to get back into the game after my bitch (soon to be ex-)wife went nutso this spring.

Looking at brewing Jamil's Berliner Weisse from Brewing Classic Styles in All Grain.

He's got 4.2 pounds of Pilsner and 3 lbs of wheat malt. I'm ordering from AHS and was wondering whether I should go with Red, White, Torrified, or Unmalted Wheat Malt on that order.

Also, this will be my first sour, so I'm trying to make this simple. Any experience with WLP630 Berliner Weisse out there?

Jamil has US05-like Ale yeast and WLP677 Lacto Delbrueckii. I was thinking of making it simple with the WLP630. Suggestions?

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno

LaserWash posted:

Goon Homebrewers,

Trying to get back into the game after my bitch (soon to be ex-)wife went nutso this spring.

Looking at brewing Jamil's Berliner Weisse from Brewing Classic Styles in All Grain.

He's got 4.2 pounds of Pilsner and 3 lbs of wheat malt. I'm ordering from AHS and was wondering whether I should go with Red, White, Torrified, or Unmalted Wheat Malt on that order.

Also, this will be my first sour, so I'm trying to make this simple. Any experience with WLP630 Berliner Weisse out there?

Jamil has US05-like Ale yeast and WLP677 Lacto Delbrueckii. I was thinking of making it simple with the WLP630. Suggestions?

I would use the white wheat malt. Red would work too, but it will add a bit of color.

As far as yeast goes, I have no experience with the Berliner blend. If you decide to follow the recipie though I'd suggest pitching the Lacto a day or two before pitching the ale yeast. That gives the bugs some sugars to work with before the yeast can eat it all.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

ocrumsprug posted:

(Heh, didn't even realize this was you until you mentioned it in the Zulu thread. Apparently I don't read names and only look at avatars.)

But yeah, be glad you didn't have bottle bombs. If you can swing the :10bux: I really recommend moving to a kegging setup earlier than later - bottling burnout turns a lot of people off from the hobby.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
kegging is so loving cool and way better than bottling

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pugnax posted:

But yeah, be glad you didn't have bottle bombs. If you can swing the :10bux: I really recommend moving to a kegging setup earlier than later - bottling burnout turns a lot of people off from the hobby.

Yeah it sounds easier and faster for sure. I probably am going to need to spread out my outlay a bit though. (And come up with a keg system that will fit in my place, and not drive the missus crazy.)

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Does anyone have a solid, maybe borderline autistic method of minimizing oxygen pickup while bottling? My last batch of bretted beer turned pretty acetic after a few months in the bottle which is telling me I'm getting lots of o2 pickup. I do have a kegging setup but I prefer bottling any beers that age well.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

WAIL posted:

I would use the white wheat malt. Red would work too, but it will add a bit of color.

As far as yeast goes, I have no experience with the Berliner blend. If you decide to follow the recipie though I'd suggest pitching the Lacto a day or two before pitching the ale yeast. That gives the bugs some sugars to work with before the yeast can eat it all.

Decided to do both. 5 gallons each. :-D six months to one year from now I'm going to be a very happy man.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I'm going to use some Special B, Vienna and Pilsener malt to make a darker saison. I'm having a hard time finding decent percentages to use--some say no more than 5% for special B, some say up to 10%.

Anyone have experience trying to raisin-up a paler ale?

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

ocrumsprug posted:

Yeah it sounds easier and faster for sure. I probably am going to need to spread out my outlay a bit though. (And come up with a keg system that will fit in my place, and not drive the missus crazy.)

Keg, Force Carb, Counter Pressure Fill into CO2 purged bottles, Cap on Foam. This is effectively what the big boys do just with awesome automated bottling machines.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Just tasted my first homebrew attempt. Wife got me a Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA kit for my birthday. I may have slightly messed up the mash as it turns out that my cast iron dutch oven retains heat quite well :pseudo: but it all went fairly well. I was kind of surprised that the kit was a BIAB not extract, but that just means I'm more prepped to do all-grain brews later. The beer itself is pretty decent, friends like it, I wish it was hoppier, but quite frankly I'm just amazed that it turned into beer at all.

I can see why people move up to larger setups, this 1 gallon setup only got me a few boston rounds and a swing top bomber.

Considering that, does anyone have tips for scaling down a recipe? I've seen a few recipes on brewtoad that look awesome, but I'm not sure how much I trust the scaling feature.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Man, the Belgian Amber batch turned out awesome! Neat dark orange/red color, really fruity and peppery, light body, big fluffy head.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Zaepho posted:

Keg, Force Carb, Counter Pressure Fill into CO2 purged bottles, Cap on Foam. This is effectively what the big boys do just with awesome automated bottling machines.

I bought a Beer Gun over a year ago. So much nicer than CP, just for the one-hand operation.

Dry hopping my Zombie Dust sort-of-not-really-clone today. Didn't have Citra/couldn't get it in time at a price I was willing to pay ($5/2 oz, hell no, not when a pound was 29) so I took that base and used Falconer's Flight instead.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Man. I know that airlock activity is not a great indication of what is going on in your fermenter, but this beer is insane. It is only like 1.070OG and it EXPLODED in the first 6 hours, and basically, now a week later is still bubbling about once every 30s or so.

I guess this is what happens when you pitch onto a yeast cake of 3711 and brett. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Thinking about a sour mash sour ale similar to an Oud Bruin. What are peoples experiences with sour mashing and is 24 hours at 110F enough time? I could maybe push it to 28/29 hours tops if I start early the day before. But basically it would start early Saturday and I'd be boiling by 4pm Sunday. Thoughts?

3 Gallons-
5.75 Pounds Golden Promise
.5 Pound Crystal 75
.2 Pound Chocolate
.75 Pound Uncrushed 2 Row for sour mash

.33oz Amarillo @60
.67oz Amarillo @5

S-04