Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

So are they straight up bribing the playerbase? Are things really that hosed?

I don't know man, I kinda want to be bribed.

Hey R5: :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Charge rifles are hilarious if you slot recharge reduction on the modules. Also, where is the L20 dragonborn cannon? It's not in shanty town and I want a flamethrower on my firecat.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

xxEightxx posted:

Those were supposed to be handed out for a event they were running where as you level at certain points a reward chest was given, nothing major mostly 1 use consumables.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm still pretty low level, but having a hard time choosing between Recluse and Firebat (or some other frame?). How do all the frames look in the upper levels?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

xxEightxx posted:

Lost and Found might be the item recovery process for lost or missing rewards.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Lemon King posted:

Enable particle and veg shadows too using the console making everything even better.

Hey LK, Do you have a list of console commands to do your citrus magic like the above? I bet you know all kinds of cool things to make the game look even better.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
That can't be it. They obviously 'lost' this loot off the back of a truck, and now it 'found' its way to your inbox.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
So why is the ammo capacity on the Fusion Cannon so low? It's the only weapon in the game that I have to burn ammo packs on in nearly every mission. Other weapons store enough ammo to take down an entire army.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Fina posted:

So why is the ammo capacity on the Fusion Cannon so low? It's the only weapon in the game that I have to burn ammo packs on in nearly every mission. Other weapons store enough ammo to take down an entire army.

There are a bunch of weird little tweaks like that which are sort of hangers on from previous Balance passes that are not really applicable anymore. See Bombs Away having very little damage as another example where the numbers are not quite working in the new setup.

For now I would get used to making sure you make the most of your damage, something has a sliver left just pull out your secondary and put a couple shots in.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah the balance on that weapon is really weird. I feel like it should be doing about 20% more damage than it does. It gives up the AOE of the Plasma but barely increases the single target damage to compensate for that.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Other than the mix-and-match of secondary weapons, is the primary weapon of each class static? Am I essentially stuck with one main gun for the whole game, the only difference being how many numbers pop up when I hit something?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Kaincypher posted:

Other than the mix-and-match of secondary weapons, is the primary weapon of each class static? Am I essentially stuck with one main gun for the whole game, the only difference being how many numbers pop up when I hit something?

The advanced frame can equip the primary of that class or the accord stock variety.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
I see. So the advanced frames can use 2 weapons, the base class only one. How about abilities, essentially same question: Is my level 10 Engineer going to be using the same skills as the level 40, only with higher power levels?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Kaincypher posted:

I see. So the advanced frames can use 2 weapons, the base class only one. How about abilities, essentially same question: Is my level 10 Engineer going to be using the same skills as the level 40, only with higher power levels?

Basically yes, and same as the weapon, the advanced frame can use its abilities and the abilities of the stock accord.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Nymix posted:

Just looking through my stuff - looks like I only ever played Recluse since that's the only non-level-1 frame... Despite owning all of the frames. Am I good to carry on playing Recluse?

That may just be a visual bug. Go through and equip every frame you own for a couple seconds, wait a minute, and then do it again. There's a script that goes through and updates the XP totals for all your frames after you log in.

Gerdalti posted:

I'm still pretty low level, but having a hard time choosing between Recluse and Firebat (or some other frame?). How do all the frames look in the upper levels?

The looks don't change enough to be a decision factor. Having said that, the Recluse is hard to beat right now.

dromer posted:

Charge rifles are hilarious if you slot recharge reduction on the modules. Also, where is the L20 dragonborn cannon? It's not in shanty town and I want a flamethrower on my firecat.

You're right! I've updated the wall-o-text to reflect it not being there. I see it doesn't show up again until 30 so I'm curious if one of those also gives the level 20 version or if it's just not in game.

Fina posted:

Yeah the balance on that weapon is really weird. I feel like it should be doing about 20% more damage than it does. It gives up the AOE of the Plasma but barely increases the single target damage to compensate for that.

It does give a 20% damage bonus over the plasma and gives up 1m of splash. I agree that it may need some tweaks to feel special. I'm sure there's a thread about it on the official forums. If so, add a post to it to give it more weight.

Nymix
Mar 3, 2013

Inimicul posted:

That may just be a visual bug. Go through and equip every frame you own for a couple seconds, wait a minute, and then do it again. There's a script that goes through and updates the XP totals for all your frames after you log in.

You were right, got a couple level 7s, a level 5 and a bunch of level 3s.

Had a bit of fun earlier just zooming about the place on my bike-thing, helping pubs with thumpers and doing random missions. It's actually so much more fun now than I seem to remember it being, despite there being nothing glaringly obvious in regards to changes. -Though that could just be poor memory.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
For as many people as we have in the armies and as wonky as the chat servers have been as of late, I'm surprised we haven't had more people in Mumble.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Kaincypher posted:

Generally speaking each Frame has a Weapon, Perk, HKM and 3 Abilities tied to it, but there are some Archetype Abilities you can get as well. These are generally modified Abilities like Rocket Turret being a Heavy Turret Modification but there is stuff like Burn Jets for all Assault Archetypes that is unique.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

MadHat posted:

Generally speaking each Frame has a Weapon, Perk, HKM and 3 Abilities tied to it, but there are some Archetype Abilities you can get as well. These are generally modified Abilities like Rocket Turret being a Heavy Turret Modification but there is stuff like Burn Jets for all Assault Archetypes that is unique.

Yeah it really feels like if they don't want to add more primary weapon types (which is fine and makes sense) then they really need to increase the number of abilities you have to choose from. Seems like each frame needs at least 6+ abilities with maybe 2 variations (ala Rocket Turret) for each of those. Then it's more like GW2 or WS with the LAS and you can have different builds and stuff.

I'm really liking the new direction the game is going, but it does feel like I'm in the 'real' beta now. They need another 6 months or so to polish and churn out content now that they have a stable path to follow.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
There was no way patch 1.0 wouldn't have had that feeling, it completely turned so many things upside down that it will take probably a year before things smooth out.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Nalin posted:

Last I remember, frame unlocks were going for about 8000 credits, which equals out to about 200,000 crystite.
I just checked the market. Frames are going for about 4500 credits, which is 45 beans @ 100 cred/bean or 112,500 crystite. Some frames are even cheaper. You can easily get that amount of money by salvaging items, refining resources, and selling modules.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fina posted:

The only conclusion is that Red5 hates the Fusion Cannon. That's why it has such a low ammo count and the alt-fire has been broken more often than it has worked.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Nalin posted:

The only conclusion is that Red5 hates the Fusion Cannon. That's why it has such a low ammo count and the alt-fire has been broken more often than it has worked.

At least it does not kill you randomly now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Has anyone tried OWPVP extensively yet? It sounds pretty cool but someone mentioned population issues earlier.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

There was no way patch 1.0 wouldn't have had that feeling, it completely turned so many things upside down that it will take probably a year before things smooth out.

But at least now the game has some forward progress instead of random great ideas that get worked in for a while only to be scrapped when someone figures they are terrible or impossible to get them working.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Sphrin posted:

But at least now the game has some forward progress instead of random great ideas that get worked in for a while only to be scrapped when someone figures they are terrible or impossible to get them working.

Yea, I just think the fun factor took a hit in the recent patch, and wont get back to those pre-patch levels until everything is given a few passes.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
It sounds like the fusion cannon might be an exception, but for the Biotech bio needler at least it's hard to get a secondary weapon that can compete with the damage it puts out once you can start slapping in modules for them, disregarding a secondary weapon's role like crowds or single targets or the like. I'm going to guess it's to compensate for your primary weapon being constrained to ammo and secondary being infinite. Not that I terribly mind that is, it does like three times the damage an equal level assault rifle does per shot, the alt fire burst just disintigrates poo poo at a good range, using one with a clip size of 73 is pretty satisfying at the moment.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I've been using a grenade launcher secondary on my engineer... it seems kind of poo poo. Am I doing it wrong?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sard posted:

Has anyone tried OWPVP extensively yet? It sounds pretty cool but someone mentioned population issues earlier.
Myself and some other goons have been playing it. Before recently, it was the only way to get uranium. I would bet that people are starting to avoid it because of how overpowered the Raptor battleframe is. That and there isn't much to do really. All the people who were there for the uranium have probably migrated to the PvE zones now that you can find uranium there and don't have to worry about being ganked. BP does have free squad 3 thumpers, though, and vehicles with weapons you can use while thumping. I think that ultimately it needs more exclusive content and rewards. It is so easy to take the safe route and just stick to the PvE zones, especially when all the high end gear is earned in those PvE zones. It is a zone for level 40 players, and at level 40 the only way to progress further is to upgrade your equipment. If you can't earn that in the PvP zone, there is not much incentive to stay.

EDIT: If the PvP zone had lots of elite chosen, that would probably be a good incentive for people to hang around in there. Elite chosen are a good source of drops.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The PVP seems pretty half assed at the moment. The idea is decent but execution is poor. As-is the whole mode is practically useless for anyone who isn't a decked out level 40. Of the fraction of the playerbase who actually want to play PVP, an even smaller fraction actually can compete.

I miss the old structured PVP mode that forced everyone on the same level and allowed you to just jump in from anywhere in the world and play a few rounds.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

E-Tap posted:

It sounds like the fusion cannon might be an exception, but for the Biotech bio needler at least it's hard to get a secondary weapon that can compete with the damage it puts out once you can start slapping in modules for them, disregarding a secondary weapon's role like crowds or single targets or the like. I'm going to guess it's to compensate for your primary weapon being constrained to ammo and secondary being infinite. Not that I terribly mind that is, it does like three times the damage an equal level assault rifle does per shot, the alt fire burst just disintigrates poo poo at a good range, using one with a clip size of 73 is pretty satisfying at the moment.

Assault frames have usually suffered in PvE because they were powerful in PvP. While the Assault toolset can burst out enough damage to kill another frame in two or three seconds with abilities, their abilities have relatively little staying power against groups of enemies. Dealing 25% of an enemy's health pool instantly was pretty strong in PvP when it was around; adding 1 second worth of damage every 60 seconds is pretty poo poo for PvE, and that's a functional description of the same assault skill. Which is most of the assault skills.

It has been better or worse at various times depending on how wide or small the area of assault abilities is. The best time was when shockwave was a really short cooldown regular skill, and fusion cannons caused massive knockback. The worst time was when shockwave, thermal wave, and distortion all had a radius of about 0.5m. Things are kind of in the middle right now.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nalin posted:

It is a zone for level 40 players, and at level 40 the only way to progress further is to upgrade your equipment. If you can't earn that in the PvP zone, there is not much incentive to stay.

I don't think they'll ever succeed with it if they allow players to earn regular resources there. If they removed that, then there would be nothing in the way of letting anyone join in. To keep players on a technical level playing field, give free access to generalized OWPVP-only premade battleframe setups, with the ability to buy gear for build specialization at PVP token vendors. That'd open it up to PVP-focused communities and newer players, rewarding participation and victory instead of doing PVE things in a PVP area. Maybe game-wide bonuses for everyone depending on which corporation is dominant, to draw in otherwise PVE-only players, but at the very least single-use buff items to carry back into PVE grinding, or tokens to buy exclusive cosmetics.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Bringing back arena PVP will hopefully help with that. I hope they do it sooner than later.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I've been using a grenade launcher secondary on my engineer... it seems kind of poo poo. Am I doing it wrong?

i've noticed that most secondary weapons are massively underpowered. Use only when out of ammo for your "real" weapon, as it were

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
sup nerds, i heard chat and stuff were broken so im going to dump my old notes here if anyone wanted to try figuring out the updated systems.

crafting notes -
probably super out of date with the numerous changes since last year or whenever i did this
https://pastee.org/rh2h

session authentication -
i took a quick look at the new stuff and it seems like it is just the old method with a third token calculated and appended to the red5 header. i didnt actually verify this, but that is just a matter of capturing a few requests with fiddler or a debugger and verifying it manually.
https://pastee.org/3tsyu

chat stuff -
im not actually sure why this isnt working, the authentication scheme seemed to be the same from what i saw. the urls in the paste are probably out of date though. it could be that they have changed the secret generation method used when authenticating to the xmpp server, might be worth looking into.
https://pastee.org/fhmtk

easiest way to figure out the updated systems would probably just be to trace through execution, but red-handed complicates that slightly. you could probably bypass it easily enough though. i dont really have the time to work on it, so i figured i would throw all this stuff out there in case anybody else wanted to pick it up and bring it back up to speed.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Thanatosian posted:

A direct hit with the grenade launcher does some very good damage and with some modules it can turn into a real death machine for swarms of enemies like aranha or the chosen wave during S3 thumping. Not all secondaries are created equal though so having a 3 slot secondary allows you to put in the coveted Widening module. A blue one adds 30% AOE size plus the critical Power Rating number. Hybrid modules for the yellow and red allow you to increase AOE even further.

Since it's unlimited ammo, you can use it for fun situations like being in a mission and luring a cluster of mobs below you and just using the arc or bouncing the alt fire off a wall to kill them all without taking a single wound.

Kaincypher posted:

i've noticed that most secondary weapons are massively underpowered. Use only when out of ammo for your "real" weapon, as it were

They will almost never be as good as the primary weapon that defines your frame, but they aren't far behind. They're meant more as a backup and a way to fill any roles your primary doesn't do well. There are some unique versions that are very powerful and I wind up using them over my primary on many frames.

One example is the necro weapons. The 7.5% damage bonus from the melding chamber it has does some nice damage and the burst rifle functions like it did pre-patch so you can aim down the sights and just harvest headshots at range for one and two bursting chosen to death.

Another example is the hilariously broken experimental weapons you get from the Broken Shores job board. How hilariously broken? How about a shotgun that has the same spread as the bio needlers primary fire? Not broken enough? How about an assault rifle that does twice the damage per bullet than the burst rifle and has no spread at all? Did I mention that these also have a burning dot on them like the Firecat passive? Bro ken as gently caress. Yes, I've submitted a bug report on it but I don't expect it to be a high priority to fix just yet so enjoy them while you can.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am in Mumble now, and there is one other person there.

Motherfuckers should just idle there, dammit.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
ed: nm my network poo poo itself.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 1, 2014

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

It's still pretty early for me but I enjoy it. Pretty much I spend all of my time in the air raining grenades down. Probably this pool will dry up as primary weapons get more powerful down the line but I am enjoying it for now. The bioneedler is a great gun for precision strikes and everything but I can count on one hand how many times that need has come up so far. Plus what other choice is there? A shotgun that will be a lot worse than the alt fire on the needler?

Probably I'll transition to an SMG or AR for secondary because I miss ADSing even if it's a bad choice overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The needler alt fire is just badass, I'd say it is more useful than the primary fire most of the time. I went with the grenade launcher as my secondary on my biotech. Your needler primary fire will work just as good if not better than the SMG, AR, or BR, and your secondary fire is better than any of the shotguns. The GL at least gives you some extra AOE damage for those crowds of bugs and other bastards.

The GL still sucks compared to AOE primaries, but if you're playing a class that doesn't have an AOE primary, or many good AOE skills, the GL can help fill in that role.

• Locked thread