Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

The presence of nontrivial Christian populations in Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Turkey, etc. got me wondering: are there any middle eastern states (aside from Israel, obviously) states with a significant Jewish population? If so, does anybody know what their role/relationship with the rest of society is there?

The vast majority of Jews in the non-Israel Middle East left, sometimes voluntarily and sometimes not, in the 10 or so years following the founding of Israel. There were some significant Jewish populations in the Middle East before that, for example there were something like 150,000-200,000 Jews living in what would become Iraq in 1945.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gregor Samsa posted:

The presence of nontrivial Christian populations in Syria, Palestine, Egypt, Turkey, etc. got me wondering: are there any middle eastern states (aside from Israel, obviously) states with a significant Jewish population? If so, does anybody know what their role/relationship with the rest of society is there?
Essentially? No. The largest non-Israel Jewish population in the greater Middle East region is Azerbaijan with 8,800 people, which make up less than .01% of its population. Within the actual Middle East, Egypt reports a Jewish population of 100 and it just goes down from there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gregor Samsa posted:

Iran:

quote:

Iran's Jewish community is officially recognized as a religious minority group by the government, and, like the Zoroastrians, they are allocated one seat in the Iranian Parliament. Siamak Moreh Sedgh is the current Jewish member of the parliament, replacing Maurice Motamed in the 2008 election. In 2000, former Jewish MP Manuchehr Eliasi estimated that at that time there were still 60,000–85,000 Jews in Iran; most other sources put the figure at 25,000.[48] The United States State Department estimated the number of Jews in Iran at 20,000–25,000 as of 2009.[49]

Today Tehran has 11 functioning synagogues, many of them with Hebrew schools. It has two kosher restaurants, an old-age home and a cemetery. There is a Jewish library with 20,000 titles.[45] Iranian Jews have their own newspaper (called "Ofogh-e-Bina") with Jewish scholars performing Judaic research at Tehran's "Central Library of Jewish Association".[50] The "Dr. Sapir Jewish Hospital" is Iran's largest charity hospital of any religious minority community in the country;[50] however, most of its patients and staff are Muslim.[51]

Chief Rabbi Yousef Hamadani Cohen is the present spiritual leader for the Jewish community of Iran.[52] In August 2000, Chief Rabbi Cohen met with Iranian President Mohammad Khatami for the first time.[53] In 2003, Chief Rabbi Cohen and Maurice Motamed met with President Khatami at Yusef Abad Synagogue which was the first time a President of Iran had visited a synagogue since the Islamic Revolution.[54] Haroun Yashayaei is the chairman of the Jewish Committee of Tehran and leader of Iran's Jewish Community.[54][55] On January 26, 2007, Yashayaei's letter to President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad concerning his Holocaust denial comments brought about worldwide media attention.[56][57][58]

The Jews of Iran have been best known for certain occupations like making gold jewelry and antique dealing, textiles and carpets.

Conditions

Jews are conscripted into the Iranian army like all Iranian citizens. Many Iranian Jews fought during the Iran-Iraq war (1980–1988) as drafted soldiers, and about 150 were killed.[59]

Most Iranian Jews say that they view Iran as their home and are allowed to practice Judaism freely.[60]

After Israel, it is home to the second-largest Jewish population in the Middle East.

:ironicat:

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Yeah, I knew about the exodus (:rimshot:) of Jews to Israel after 1948 or so, I was just wondering if many/any stuck around.

Wikipedia just informed me that Iran has a large Jewish population, which I find surprising.

e;fb

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

kalstrams posted:

I hope the lion is fine. :ohdear:

He's waging a one-cat war against the Taliban now.

Soon to be a major motion picture.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

Yeah, I knew about the exodus (:rimshot:) of Jews to Israel after 1948 or so, I was just wondering if many/any stuck around.

Wikipedia just informed me that Iran has a large Jewish population, which I find surprising.

e;fb

Yeah, given the rhetoric directed at Iran, you'd expect them to eat jewish babies for lunch.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Gregor Samsa posted:

Iran has a population of nearly 76.5 million; I would not define 25,000 as a "large" population, although I will certainly agree that it's noteworthy.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
Yeah people tend to forget that Iran has guaranteed parliament seats for recognized religious minorities. It's still (obviously) a theocratic system that suppresses secular and minority religious beliefs (not to mention unrecognized religious groups), but it's worth noting that it still provides most of them with official recognition and representation. Even the Zoroastrians (alongside Armenian Orthodox and Catholics) get a seat :psyduck:

Iran: not a good country, but definitely not the psycho of the middle east that Fox makes it out to be

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Elyv posted:

Iran has a population of nearly 76.5 million; I would not define 25,000 as a "large" population, although I will certainly agree that it's noteworthy.

Right, it's large relative to the Jewish populations in other middle eastern states, not relative to the population of Iran. Egypt, for example, has a population of ~80 million and (Wikipedia claims) about 100 Jews. I mean, that could be explained by the census takers happening to catch a big tour group visiting the pyramids.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

suboptimal posted:

Well, if you had pms, I'd tell you that this wasn't directed at you, but at legendary shitposter BabyChoom's parachute account. This is the same guy who accused BM of inspiring people to join IS via his blog, after all.

I agree that "activist" is a sometimes problematic and nebulous word.

My parachute account? I guess you are dumb enough to not notice registration dates. Maybe you should stop trolling so we can get some answers.

Rukeli
May 10, 2014
There's still seven Jews in Baghdad. :smithcloud:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, it's the demise of a community that's existed in Baghdad since the city's founding. It's a shame Mossad may have contributed directly to its destruction, and its members' absorption into Israeli society as second-class Mizrahim.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

GuyinCognito posted:

My parachute account? I guess you are dumb enough to not notice registration dates. Maybe you should stop trolling so we can get some answers.

Judging by its watermark the image appears to come from the pro-Sunni insurgent Iraqi Revolution group's social media and made it to the Western press via Belgian analyst @green_lemonnn.

It appears the activists are then anti-Maliki and pro-Sunni, but I'm not in a position to say if they favor IS or what.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

zeal posted:

Yeah, it's the demise of a community that's existed in Baghdad since the city's founding. It's a shame Mossad may have contributed directly to its destruction, and its members' absorption into Israeli society as second-class Mizrahim.

Yes Israel does destroy Jewish communities elsewhere in the world to boost their ranks. Before it was Iran with decades of threats to bomb it so the jews their would flee. Now it's the entire population of France that is the threat to french jews to instill fear in those jews so that they leave to israel.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GuyinCognito posted:

You pack your parachute before you have to jump, hence the metaphor.

GuyinCognito
Nov 26, 2008

by Ralp

MothraAttack posted:

Judging by its watermark the image appears to come from the pro-Sunni insurgent Iraqi Revolution group's social media and made it to the Western press via Belgian analyst @green_lemonnn.

So that is the "activist". A facebook page called "Iraqi Revolution". It's funny how people call sectarian traitors and murders "activists" here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GuyinCognito posted:

Yes Israel does destroy Jewish communities elsewhere in the world to boost their ranks. Before it was Iran with decades of threats to bomb it so the jews their would flee. Now it's the entire population of France that is the threat to french jews to instill fear in those jews so that they leave to israel.

Yeah, it's the Zionists that have been attacking Synagogues in France. :rolleyes:

Had the Iraqis sufficiently appreciated their Jewish community they would have encouraged them to stay; had they actually cared about the Palestinian refugees, they definitely wouldn't have required the former to renounce their Iraqi citizenship in order to leave, as that made it more likely that they would settle in the latter's cleansed households and land on a permanent basis.

I met several elderly Iraqi Jews who harkened back to a better time in Baghdad, but also ones who were very jaded with a society that so easily dispensed with them for the acts of provocateurs.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

GuyinCognito posted:

So that is the "activist". A facebook page called "Iraqi Revolution". It's funny how people call sectarian traitors and murders "activists" here.

I had to dig a bit. Even the major media that covered it just cited "Iraqi social media" since it pretty much got spread by all sides once it broke. I think it's fair in a roundabout way to credit an amateur analyst (sometime activist) like @green_lemonnn with its discovery in regards to Western exposure.

I think it's also at the point where "activist" has taken on a broad meaning. Few would deny that @ShamiWitness is an activist, but just using that term doesn't suggest that it's a good type of activism. I'm sure BM can speak for himself, though, that's just my interpretation.

edit: It's also a testament to the lack of nuance in general regarding non-IS Sunni insurgent groups in Iraq, which don't get much press or proper attention.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gregor Samsa posted:

As others have said there used to be significant Jewish populations in many Middle Eastern coutnries, most notably Iraq and Yemen I think, but they almost all left, mostly for Israel I think, in the years following 1948. This gave a huge boost to the Jewish population of Israel (which still included some numbers of Palestinians), in the first 10 years or so many of these Middle Eastern Jews were housed in refugee camps before they got proper houses and poo poo. Still somewhat around 50 % of Israeli Jews are "Sephardis" most of whom are of Middle Eastern origin (even though Sephardi originally meant Iberian Jews).

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

zeal posted:

Exodus of Jews goes back farther than that, at least to early 40s as a result of

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011
There might be even less Jews living in the middle east in future, since Spanish Parliament is set to approve a law that will allow people with Sephardi ancestry to apply for dual citizenship. Portugal is about to do the same. This is an extension of laws that already allowed a lot of people of Spanish descent to apply for dual citizenship.

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Spain-moves-one-step-closer-to-granting-Sephardic-Jews-right-of-return-355567

The Jerusalem Post posted:

The law, which was first unveiled in February, potentially allows an estimated 3.5 million Sephardic Jews whose ancestors settled in countries such as Israel, France, the United States, Turkey, Mexico, Argentina and Chile to apply for Spanish nationality.

Giving expelled Muslims the same rights appears complicated however.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/24/spain-sephardic-jews-islam-muslim

The Guardian posted:

Antonio Manuel Rodríguez Ramos suggested another reason. The hundreds of thousands of Muslims who left in the early 1600s couldn't possibly have been the only Muslim descendants in the country, he insisted. "The majority of these people didn't leave when they were expelled," he argued. "They stayed and they created a culture that can be described as most authentic and most Hispanic."

Extending the right of return to the descendants of Spanish Muslims would shine a spotlight on a truth that most in Spain would like to ignore, he argued. "The danger is that we will have to recognise that the majority of the Spanish population is of Muslim descent," said Rodríguez Ramos. "It's an effort to hide our history, to hide our memory."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trotski Icepick posted:

[quote]
Giving expelled Muslims the same rights appears complicated however.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/24/spain-sephardic-jews-islam-muslim

Guardian posted:

Antonio Manuel Rodríguez Ramos suggested another reason. The hundreds of thousands of Muslims who left in the early 1600s couldn't possibly have been the only Muslim descendants in the country, he insisted. "The majority of these people didn't leave when they were expelled," he argued. "They stayed and they created a culture that can be described as most authentic and most Hispanic."

Extending the right of return to the descendants of Spanish Muslims would shine a spotlight on a truth that most in Spain would like to ignore, he argued. "The danger is that we will have to recognise that the majority of the Spanish population is of Muslim descent," said Rodríguez Ramos. "It's an effort to hide our history, to hide our memory."

That's a strange argument. The Muslim invasion only happened in the 8th Century, and Muslims were expelled/converted by the 13th Century. So most of the people with "Muslim heritage" were likely converts from Christianity, rather than exemplars of some "Ur-Muslim" descent.

Trotski Icepick
Mar 20, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's a strange argument. The Muslim invasion only happened in the 8th Century, and Muslims were expelled/converted by the 13th Century. So most of the people with "Muslim heritage" were likely converts from Christianity, rather than exemplars of some "Ur-Muslim" descent.

I think his point is that they have a shared culture and history that really doesn't have a prominent place in Spanish society.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.latimes.com/world/great-reads/la-fg-c1-syria-aleppo-20140730-story.html#page=1

Under the renewed government onslaught and the stepped-up barrel-bombing campaign deliberately targeting civilians, the last remaining holdouts of civilians is fleeing Aleppo. They are also fearing the starvation that killed so many in rebel held suburbs of Damascus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPy2QZn7ok

I don't speak Arabic but allegedly this video is reporting the merging of all Islamic Front groups in Aleppo into a unified command structure under Abdelaziz al-Salameh.

http://eaworldview.com/2014/07/syria-daily-insurgents-close-major-military-airport-near-hama/

Hama's airport is under Grad rocket fire by the rebels, who have advanced to within striking distance of it. They are hoping to destroy its stocks of barrel bombs and aircraft.

http://www.bnowire.com/2014/07/29/jihadists-in-northern-iraq-execute-hundreds-in-tikrit-massacre/

That video of all the mass-executions that's been circulating lately apparently took place in Tikrit.

IS soldiers are advancing South from Tikrit and making an attempt to take Samarra. Many civilians are fleeing Samarra.

http://www.mei.edu/content/news/iraqs-mosul-resistance-rises-rubble

An insurgency against IS has begun in Mosul in response to all the destroyed shrines, holy sites, etc.

Sergg fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 30, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, rebels are making strong advances toward the Hama airport and in rif Hama generally. It's basically the main barrel bomb-making hub for the area. The SAA has also so far failed to retake the strategically important village of Morek.

Also interesting is that some tribes in rural Deir Ez Zour rebelled against ISIS today, reportedly killing 11 fighters and capturing several others. ISIS supporters vow revenge.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Trotski Icepick posted:

I think his point is that they have a shared culture and history that really doesn't have a prominent place in Spanish society.

The Muslims were mostly driven out or reconverted over 500 years ago. I'd say it's been awhile since there's been a shared history there. The influences certainly linger though.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

New Division posted:

The Muslims were mostly driven out or reconverted over 500 years ago. I'd say it's been awhile since there's been a shared history there. The influences certainly linger though.

Ojalá.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Trotski Icepick posted:

They did, or at least had a visible place in spanish society before being expelled or forcibly converted. But as another poster already said, it's been 500 years. Maybe it's no longer relevant to their perceived modern identity.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Big protests kicking off this evening outside the UN mission in Tripoli. "No to terrorists. No to militias."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

here's a piece about work the Carter Center has been doing tracking armed groups in Syria using social media. It really demonstrates how much you can do with this information, mapping out aspects of the conflict that would otherwise be impossible

quote:

By aggregating data from armed groups and mining conflict events from social media, activist blogs, news sites, and humanitarian organizations, the Carter Center has documented over 11,000 events and tracked almost 6,000 armed groups and 100,000 fighters. They used Palantir’s Gotham platform to do visual analysis of events including a hierarchal view of opposition groups’ relationships to each other, which McNaboe uses to see who the main actors are.
I've also been working with them to track the weapons being used by armed groups, using the information they already have to understand which groups are receiving them, and who their foreign benefactors are.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
I've been watching some of the Vice videos from Syria and am repeatedly struck by what utter knobs the Western jihadis sound like whenever they speak.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://news.yahoo.com/iraqi-militias-execute-hang-15-people-police-160154011.html

Shiite militias kill and string up 15 Sunnis in Baquba, Iraq. Their bodies were left hanging from utility poles in the town square, in an attempt to deter the Sunni populace from supporting ISIS. They kidnapped the victims over the past week and shot them all, and are refusing to let the local police take the bodies down.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gregor Samsa posted:

I've been watching some of the Vice videos from Syria and am repeatedly struck by what utter knobs the Western jihadis sound like whenever they speak.

Tells you something about the kind of people the job attracts.

Sergg posted:

http://news.yahoo.com/iraqi-militias-execute-hang-15-people-police-160154011.html

Shiite militias kill and string up 15 Sunnis in Baquba, Iraq. Their bodies were left hanging from utility poles in the town square, in an attempt to deter the Sunni populace from supporting ISIS. They kidnapped the victims over the past week and shot them all, and are refusing to let the local police take the bodies down.

Wonderful, yet another clusterfuck where the factions are murderous assholes, even more murderous assholes, and moderates who'd get murdered.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sergg posted:

:smithicide: The spiral downwards continues...

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Nothing says "winning hearts and minds" like displaying the corpses of murdered civilians in public spaces.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

New Division posted:

Nothing says "winning hearts and minds" like displaying the corpses of murdered civilians in public spaces.

Somehow I think they were going for the fear rather than the love side of the equation.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2014/07/31/iraq-pro-government-militias-trail-death

Human Rights Watch has a more detailed breakdown of the sectarian killings by Shiite militias all around Iraq in this article:

“These reports of militia murders, often in plain view of security forces, indicate a pattern of sectarian killing that appears to be government-sanctioned,” Stork said. “The takeover of state security by militias is a sure sign that the remnants of the rule of law in Iraq are falling apart.”

23 Sunnis from Muqdadiyya, a town south of Baghdad in the “Baghdad Belt” area where there has been considerable sectarian conflict. “It appeared to be a mass execution of tribal sheikhs, because they were all killed at the same time during a meeting,” said one doctor.

Another neighborhood resident, a government employee, said a militia runs an informal detention center in the neighborhood

On July 9, police announced they had found 53 bodies in a ditch in an area north of Hilla. Their hands were all bound and they all had gunshot wounds in the head.

Etc. etc. etc.

Basically it's right back to the widespread ethnic cleansing of 2006.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

blowfish posted:

Tells you something about the kind of people the job attracts.

We comin' for all you Mancs next, bruv!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

GuyinCognito posted:

BabyChoom posted:

I also blasted the coup.. but under another alias.. which was guyincognito.. I told them to not trust the juntas!

You were saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

suboptimal posted:

You were saying?

A mod (Xandu) said they weren't the same dude, so I'm willing to bet that was just BC trying to take someone down with him. A suicide posting, if you will.

• Locked thread