Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

The past couple of weeks has been annoying enough that I think the grey in my hair is increasing at an increasing rate.

About a month ago the government tv station I work at switched over to a brand new digital video router, playout system, etc. While I'm not the only person in my department, I'm the only one that did any of the work since my coworkers pretty much refuse to do any work or have any interest in learning how everything goes together. In fact one of them threw a mini fit when I told him that I probably wouldn't be keeping this ancient dvd recorder that has a built in hard drive because in my opinion it's a piece of poo poo. Never mind the fact that the recordings look like crap, its analog only, and we'd have to dedicate about $1k in hardware to get it working with our new stuff.

The main issue we are having right now is some of the cable stations in the outlying areas aren't receiving our signal due to our video encoder slowly dying. We bought a new one, but turns out no cable station in our area supports a mpeg-4 h.264 stream. So I called around and found a used encoder that will do the job for $2500. What I should have done was just purchase it, what I actually did was ask my bosses what they would like me to do.

One of them never responded, another said go for it, and one wanted to wait till he got back from vacation in early August to set up a meeting to discuss the purchase of the encoder and why I was going to buy a used one. Considering that a new one is about $15k and for that kind of money we have to get the county board of supervisors to approve it, which would take about two months.

Now it appears that the encoder is totally dead so we have to swing into high gear and get everything up as soon as possible. Thats fine, but where was this urgency last week? So I get the vendor going, explain we have a rush order, get a call from the tech at noon, and get a shipping confirmation at 2 p.m. But I can't get it configured tomorrow because I have to go to a mandatory new employee orientation that is about thirty feet from my desk with all the equipment. Could I count on my coworkers to help out? Nope, they'll be loving around on the internet or taking long lunches.

After working for county government for almost a year I have an appreciation for the private section or at least how my old station was run. No meetings to discuss what needs to happen at the next meeting, no endless amounts of stupid metrics (quarterly goal and employee reviews), being asked "why are you rushing around? You work for the county now, you don't have to work so hard," etc. If I wasn't getting paid more, I'd jump ship and go back to my old job where I was appreciated and had coworkers that were willing to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Our web filter is god awful.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: I returned to my apartment after 2 months in exile, and apparently I packed down my mouse somewhere in a Good Place. I am now stuck with an apple trackpad.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Me: Just a heads up, at some point I'll be receiving a call from X about a production issue, when I get that call I'll have to drop off this call

A short time later - rriiinnnggg.

Me: Oh that's him, let me grab that.
Them: No problem, I'm going to continue working on X and after that I'll Y and hey if you have a chance can we... (etc etc etc)

Tell me, first time phone user, how many rings do you suppose I have to play with here? If you said "not bloody many", you are correct.

This wasn't a one time issue today, either. The first time, it went roughly as above and I had to hang up on him. The second time, I did that "talk really fast so as to indicate your rush" thing, no luck, he still talked and I had to hang up on him. The third time, I just hung up outright. Come on.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Our web filter is god awful.

We had to get a special exception for http://www.msexchange.org/ but then again, I can see how mSexChange.org might get caught up in the filters.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Me: Just a heads up, at some point I'll be receiving a call from X about a production issue, when I get that call I'll have to drop off this call

A short time later - rriiinnnggg.

Me: Oh that's him, let me grab that.
Them: No problem, I'm going to continue working on X and after that I'll Y and hey if you have a chance can we... (etc etc etc)

Tell me, first time phone user, how many rings do you suppose I have to play with here? If you said "not bloody many", you are correct.

This wasn't a one time issue today, either. The first time, it went roughly as above and I had to hang up on him. The second time, I did that "talk really fast so as to indicate your rush" thing, no luck, he still talked and I had to hang up on him. The third time, I just hung up outright. Come on.

I have one of these too and I end up doing the same. Unsurprisingly, this guy basically just loves the sound of his own voice and will talk for the sake of talking. Not only do his own meetings never achieve anything, he will hijack other people's meetings and once he gets going he will. Not. Stop.

It's all I can do to maintain my composure sometimes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
e: It is funny to be that it seems to be your button. I whine about a lot of stuff on here as a release, but someone who just refuses to shut up is probably my #1 button, so I do believe we share that.

rolleyes posted:

I have one of these too and I end up doing the same. Unsurprisingly, this guy basically just loves the sound of his own voice and will talk for the sake of talking. Not only do his own meetings never achieve anything, he will hijack other people's meetings and once he gets going he will. Not. Stop.

It's all I can do to maintain my composure sometimes.
Exactly and absolutely. These people drive me insane. Same guy, same call today, someone asked him a question which had a numerical answer. It was a guess, but the answer was to be in the form of a number. So just say 17 or 21 or something, it's a guess, just say something. It took him probably five minutes to answer this question.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 30, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That horrible woman in Marketing came to me with a design sketch for a showroom that's being built. She says "the CEO wants to see what's represented in this sketch scrolling on these two monitors. How do we do that?"

Long story short, someone approved a quote for a $5,000 video display system which appears to be two TVs and a server of some sort. I asked for the make and model of the display system as well as the name of the server software so I can find out the specifics and she says "Well basically you just put the video on the server. So how do we do this?"

I repeated that I need the details on the system and software they purchased. Without that info I can't tell them how to do it.

She sends me the quotes, which have no info other than TV/SERVER/SOFTWARE. I ask for the details I requested.
She sends me wall mount instructions for the TVs. I ask for the details I requested.
She sends me the TV manual. I ask for the details I requested.

FFFFfffffuck I can't stand this person. I also can't stand that they'd spend that much money on something I'm supposed to support without getting me involved. I told her we don't have any way of creating the scrolling animations ourselves and we have to work with a production house and now she's even more pissed off.

Some people poison any process they touch.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

How much do you want to bet that it's two TVs hooked up to an Extron distribution amplifier with a VGA input. "What do you mean they both have to show the same thing?"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

"Well basically you just put the video on the server. So how do we do this?"
Well, basically, all you'll need to do is set everything up and plug it all in, and then you just put the video on the server.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Oh man it's supposed to go live in two weeks. :smithicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not sure the systems that can do that and 2 displays of a decent size are doable for $5000

Unless you're going to use some TVs in which case good luck.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm not sure the systems that can do that and 2 displays of a decent size are doable for $5000

Unless you're going to use some TVs in which case good luck.

Maybe they forgot a zero on the end.

http://www.superiorlighting.com/Gre...=googleproducts

That's just the server by the way, the output devices are all added cost.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I was thinking more digital sign player than media server, but even then you're looking at 10k just in server and player licensing before you've bought any hardware.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

I was thinking more digital sign player than media server, but even then you're looking at 10k just in server and player licensing before you've bought any hardware.

It might be Samsung's MagicInfo software. Don't know for sure yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm betting it's just two consumer grade TVs and an off the shelf PC and they just overpaid by about $3500 because the reseller slapped a sticker on it.

e: And the software is the free Powerpoint Viewer.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

It might be Samsung's MagicInfo software. Don't know for sure yet.

Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think when I was under contract to Kodak our main door receptionist used to have a PowerPoint presentation on infinite loop and would just make up a new slide for whichever client or vendor was coming in that day and played it on the 55" LCD we had hooked up to a dedicated computer.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Not sure if I remember correctly, but I think when I was under contract to Kodak our main door receptionist used to have a PowerPoint presentation on infinite loop and would just make up a new slide for whichever client or vendor was coming in that day and played it on the 55" LCD we had hooked up to a dedicated computer.

This is exactly what we used to do at an accounting firm I used to work at when I was just starting out in IT.

We also had another PC with VLC that would play our companies TV commercials on repeat throughout the day.

It seemed to work well enough - cheap, too. :shrug:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooky posted:

This is exactly what we used to do at an accounting firm I used to work at when I was just starting out in IT.

We also had another PC with VLC that would play our companies TV commercials on repeat throughout the day.

It seemed to work well enough - cheap, too. :shrug:

I once worked at an ad agency that just used a DVD player and a splitter to put our reel on display in the lobby. Including the spot where an art director stopped listening whenever I told her "that orange isn't just not NTSC-safe, it's actively dangerous." Hideous. And it aired nationally too. I got a good chuckle every time that spot played.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

I once worked at an ad agency that just used a DVD player and a splitter to put our reel on display in the lobby. Including the spot where an art director stopped listening whenever I told her "that orange isn't just not NTSC-safe, it's actively dangerous." Hideous. And it aired nationally too. I got a good chuckle every time that spot played.

If it's in YouTube, we would love to see it :allears:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Never Twice the Same Colour

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 31, 2014

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you run out of ideas, the ASCII production of Star Wars: A New Hope is still available via telnet at towel.blinkenlights.nl :shobon:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Roargasm posted:

If you run out of ideas, the ASCII production of Star Wars: A New Hope is still available via telnet at towel.blinkenlights.nl :shobon:

This is magical. :allears:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

RadicalR posted:

This is magical. :allears:

I have never even seen any of the star war movies, but still find this awesome.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's not the full episode :( Cuts out right as Luke meets Leia.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Moey posted:

I have never even seen any of the star war movies

How does this happen in 2014?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Some of us have taste.

In other news, a customer refuses to read documentation and submits a brand-new urgent ticket - which now auto-escalates to critical if not answered within eight hours - every ten minutes. Every other ticket is just "PROBLEM" as the subject, with "HOW DO I REMOVE YOUR SOFTWARE" as the body.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hell it's 2014 and I know some people who haven't even seen 12 Angry Men or Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages. I mean, come on people.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hell, I don't even own a TV.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Roargasm posted:

I met the guy who made that at a LAN party.. 14 years ago? It's still as magical as it was back then.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

This is smart. More reception desks should just do this.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Moey posted:

I have never even seen any of the star war movies, but still find this awesome.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This blog is for you: http://somewonderfulkindofnoise.blogspot.ca/, Star Wars OT, both liveblogging and after-reports of each film by an injured college(?) athlete living with his grandparents who is (increasingly was) pop-culture impaired.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 31, 2014

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Factory Factory posted:

This blog is for you: http://somewonderfulkindofnoise.blogspot.ca/, Star Wars OT, both liveblogging and after-reports of each film by an injured college(?) athlete living with his grandparents who is (increasingly was) pop-culture impaired.

Sure is interesting that people take the time to do crap like this, and even more interesting that other people take the time to read it.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So, an exploit came out that is going to make life very difficult for Security folks.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/usb-security/

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I am out of Peppridge farm goldfish. This is affecting production.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Dick Trauma posted:

Long story short, someone approved a quote for a $5,000 video display system which appears to be two TVs and a server of some sort. I asked for the make and model of the display system as well as the name of the server software so I can find out the specifics and she says "Well basically you just put the video on the server. So how do we do this?"

I hope for your sake it isn't Symon Targetvision SDA. If they bought consumer grade TV's your price sounds just about right. It's a networked digital signage device that's really just a P4 windows (Vista on ours!) box with some custom software. At my job they use them to send company information to monitors at the various coffee break stations. It's pretty much a glorified power point that also has a news crawl at the bottom and weather information that it pulls from Symon's servers. Besides the fact that Symon's support is less than good and their news and weather feeds just randomly break, we have had a just under 50% hardware failure rate with their boxes.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Moey posted:

Sure is interesting that people take the time to do crap like this, and even more interesting that other people take the time to read it.

I meant for the person who was shocked that someone could miss Star Wars, not for the grumpus who's ready to take the piss out of a teenager blogging to keep his spirits up after he got mangled and is going through a series of painful surgeries. :colbert:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Moey posted:

:iceburn:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have contractors pulling cables for some infrastructure upgrades. Work was scheduled to be completed upwards of two weeks ago and they are not especially near done. We called the lead to a status meeting to get them back on track. He arrived 40 minutes late to it.

I am not an unreasonable guy. I understand delays happen and not everything can be foreseen. But for some reason no one is able to pick up a phone or send an email to tell people about them. I loving hate contractors.

EDIT: I am peripheral on this, they didn't tell our lead guy on it either. We had to call and ask.

guppy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I love vague assignments.

:airquote: Write a knowledgebase article on boot from SAN for linux.
:eng101: Why?
:airquote: because ${manager} asked for it.
:eng101: ok, but why does he want it. What purpose does this article need to serve?
:airquote: Just write it.

So I ask ${manager} what he wants in the article.

:eng101: what does this kb article you requested need to say?
:cop: I need you to document the config for boot from san.
:eng101: there is really no config required for linux, its supported natively, along with multipath. What purpose do you want this article to serve? is it so the support folks know what boot from san is? Do you want them to be able to replicate it if necessary? Do you just want a basic article explaining how it works?
:cop: I really don't have time to tell you how to do your job.

So the article I wrote just says "${customer} uses boot from san on all their physical blade servers."

I'm sure that's not enough, but i'll get yelled at for lack of content and maybe then they'll tell me what they really want.