Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not sure it's relevant, but Auguste was another Austrian noblewoman.

Wife of Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria, daughter of Grand Duke Leopold II of Tuscany.

Luitpold ran Bavaria around the turn of the 18th century because his nephews, the actual kings, were ruled mentally unsound - though in one case that may have been political. Auguste descended directly from both Louis XIV of France and William the Conqueror. She died of tuberculosis after having four children with Luitpold and was a major supporter of her husband, politically. In all likelihood the two were in love - Luitpold's father actually opposed their marriage because Auguste was showing signs of tuberculosis even then. She died aged 39 in 1864, after just a week or two over twenty years of marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Auguste Reymond, also known as ARSA, is the name of a Swiss watchmaker.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Could it be that the timepiece refers to the Famous Auguste family who were gold and silversmiths? Because he also did work for Napoleon and works for the city of Paris!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Could it be that the timepiece refers to the Famous Auguste family who were gold and silversmiths? Because he also did work for Napoleon and works for the city of Paris!

http://www.statueofliberty.org/statue_history.html

And then Frederic Auguste Bartholdi is the guy mainly responsible for the Statue of Liberty - a woman in a robe if ever there was one. Classic Carmen to go after a bigass target like this, no?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sighence posted:

http://www.statueofliberty.org/statue_history.html

And then Frederic Auguste Bartholdi is the guy mainly responsible for the Statue of Liberty - a woman in a robe if ever there was one. Classic Carmen to go after a bigass target like this, no?

So Paris should definitely be our next location!

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Auguste Reymond, also known as ARSA, is the name of a Swiss watchmaker.

The watch is a Rolex. You can see the tip of the Rolex crown behind the diamond.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Also potentially totally irrelevant: Auguste Albert was a French sailor who crewed a medal-winning boat on the French rowing team in 1900. Silver and bronze.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault
What's the date on the watch set to? Can't see it past the pin.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Magrov posted:

The watch is a Rolex. You can see the tip of the Rolex crown behind the diamond.

There is an Auguste Picard linked to Rolex, but the time period is fifty years off.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Guys, the diamond pin is FAKE. This is the WRONG DESTINATION. We have to think about the previous clue and move from there. The heart/guts clue.

Not that I can figure it out, but a fake diamond means this is a red herring destination. The motherfucker is taunting us, and some other V.I.L.E. agent planted it here in order to laugh in our faces.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Iunnrais posted:

Guys, the diamond pin is FAKE. This is the WRONG DESTINATION. We have to think about the previous clue and move from there. The heart/guts clue.

Not that I can figure it out, but a fake diamond means this is a red herring destination. The motherfucker is taunting us, and some other V.I.L.E. agent planted it here in order to laugh in our faces.

I have to agree.

So, the heart could be the wedding, or it could be the area where she was assassinated. Maybe it was a point where Elisabeth was particularly fond of?

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault

Chewbot posted:

Maybe. I'm starting to wonder how far back they did this heart burial thing.

Wonderslug posted:

Hm. The source Wikipedia cites for the information that Elisabeth's heart was sent to the Augustinkirche not only does not say that, it rather implies her bits stayed together:

I have a feeling that, while we're on the wrong track, Fast Eddie still left some sort of calling card here. It's not the break we're looking for but it's a clue nonetheless.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Duckbehindcover posted:

What's the date on the watch set to? Can't see it past the pin.

Fake diamond? You think that means something?
I don't know. Maybe it's not supposed to be there.
It's stuck tight... think I got it...

There's something disturbing about a watch with no hands.
Like we're running out of time.

poo poo. Now I'm starting to get a creepy feeling like someone's watching us.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
poo poo, I wasn't convinced we were on the wrong track until that. That day is almost certainly the number of times we can gently caress up.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Kövesd a szíved, nem a bél

Follow your heart, not your gut

We followed HER heart, not our heart. Consider that the clue's meant for us, not the deceased Elisabeth.

Maybe they mean to follow that which is not our gut. Which is to say where her non-heart organs are interred: St. Stephen's Cathedral, in Vienna.

After that edit, now I don't know what to feel.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Something about August 3rd, maybe?
Although the date is a bit too far off to be meaningful right now. The time limit, I guess?

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
If the clues are "Diamond" and "August", there is a "Archduke Joseph Diamond", named after Archduke Joseph August Viktor Klemens Maria of Austria, who was married to Princess Auguste of Bavaria.

Plenty of Augustes in that story.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The number 3 there is also on top of the 3 o'clock position as well. Not sure if that matters though.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

1601 – Long War: Austria captures Transylvania in the Battle of Goroszló.

:drac:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Slaan posted:

The number 3 there is also on top of the 3 o'clock position as well. Not sure if that matters though.

That space is meant to show the day of the month.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably not going to be it, but maybe check urn #38? Yeah, I'm fixated on organs in jars.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
It looks like the 3 is stuck on a piece of tape or something. Can we peel it off?

e: :downs: Whoops, nevermind. For some reason it just reminded me of tape instead of the space for the date...

Nondevor fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 31, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I wonder, does anything happen when you put the pin back in, and then wind the watch?

Wind it without putting the pin in too, I guess.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault

Slaan posted:

That's just where they put the date on wristwatches

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
August 3rd is the Feast Day of a bunch of folks, but notably Lydia Pupuraria, a female seller of purple cloth, and also St. Dalmatius of Constantinople. The Lydian Empire once encompassed all of western Asia Minor.

Perhaps Istanbul (not Constantinople, but that's nobody's business but the Turks).

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

AnoHito posted:

Something about August 3rd, maybe?
Although the date is a bit too far off to be meaningful right now. The time limit, I guess?

Yeah. I'd wager we have ~4 days to crack the case.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Its a date wheel. It counts forwards, not backwards. "3" is a clue, not a warning.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

paragon1 posted:

I wonder, does anything happen when you put the pin back in, and then wind the watch?

Wind it without putting the pin in too, I guess.

Sighence posted:

Its a date wheel. It counts forwards, not backwards. "3" is a clue, not a warning.

Crupper takes the watch and tries to wind it, but the dial just spins effortlessly.

No good, it's just a shell. The gears have been gutted.
Then he just wanted us to see the date. Wait, what day did you say it was?

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 31, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Well, Crupper said it was July 2nd. So something big could happen tomorrow.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, not only do we have the clues in the dialog to contend with, but you are indeed even hiding clues in the pictures themselves.

Devious.

EDIT: Is there significance to July 3rd in Hungarian holidays? All I could find was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Heart_of_Mary#Roman_Catholic_feast_days, which sounds pretty metal for a Catholic Feast and does involve hearts...

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 31, 2014

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

The anniversary of a wedding between Auguste and... someone, perhaps? Google is failing me thus far, but that's the easiest fit between all the clues that I can think of.

Duckbehindcover
Oct 21, 2010

Hold A to vault
Maybe there's something inside the watch? Probably nothing. What else is in the room? Maybe there's a set of 3 somewhere?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Nondevor posted:

If it is meant to be July 3rd and it is indeed a clue, a quick search tells me that exactly one thing happened on that date involving Austria (and way too much with France to narrow down) in any meaningful way:

quote:

1866 – Austro-Prussian War is decided at the Battle of Königgratz, resulting in Prussia taking over as the prominent German nation from Austria.

Probably wrong, since I have no idea where to go from there though, and everything else is just a bunch of births/deaths that are presumably completely meaningless.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Diamond is timeless?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Diamond is timeless?

Except it's not, is it? The diamond is fake. Do we know if that's even a real Rolex?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Ok, while I'm thinking about what the significance of "Auguste to his perfect Wife" is, a few things I want to check, on the off-chance they hold a clue.

Chewbot posted:

The small church is packed full of altars and monuments, an enormous pipe organ sits at the back of the church, and a number of elaborate chandeliers dangle from the ceiling. Rows of traditional wooden benches form two columns down the center aisle, each holding numerous bibles. A variety of paintings hang in the alcoves built into the walls. Hale stops in front of an elaborate scene of statues to the right side of the building.

Can we take a look at those paintings? I think they're the only thing in that description that we haven't taken a look at. Might as well check for anything unusual.

Also, it looks like one of the statues is holding a jar. Can we look inside it?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Nondevor posted:

We're world detectives, chum. Our clock currently says 8 PM. If it's 8 PM GMT, then it's almost the 3rd in Vienna already. If it's 8PM local, then it's the third for Eastern Ukraine, Eastern Russia, India, and most of East Asia.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Shieldhill posted:

Ok, while I'm thinking about what the significance of "Auguste to his perfect Wife" is, a few things I want to check, on the off-chance they hold a clue.

Can we take a look at those paintings? I think they're the only thing in that description that we haven't taken a look at. Might as well check for anything unusual.

Also, it looks like one of the statues is holding a jar. Can we look inside it?

The paintings in the various alcoves depict various rulers who don't particularly stand out. They're all from the same royal family who only appear to have a loose affiliation to Empress Elisabeth, if any.

Back at the cinotaph, Hale puts some pressure on the jar being held by the statue representing Maria Christina. It quickly becomes apparent that it was carved as part of the statue and is not an actual jar that can be opened.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Added Space posted:

If it's 8PM local, then it's the third for Eastern Ukraine, Eastern Russia, India, and most of East Asia.
Maybe we can narrow it down to countries of these timezone.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
The wording on the Cenotaph for Maria Christina ought to say "Albert to his perfect wife", referring to Prince Albert Casimir. The modified text says Auguste in place of Albert.

Prince Albert was the son of King Augustus III of Poland, who reportedly had a happy marriage to Maria Josepha of Austria. Maria Josepha died in 1757, so she falls within the period when the Habsburg hearts were being stored in the Augustinerkirche, though she isn't on the list here. According to Wikipedia, Maria Josepha is buried in the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Dresden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

inflatablefish posted:

The wording on the Cenotaph for Maria Christina ought to say "Albert to his perfect wife", referring to Prince Albert Casimir. The modified text says Auguste in place of Albert.

Prince Albert was the son of King Augustus III of Poland, who reportedly had a happy marriage to Maria Josepha of Austria. Maria Josepha died in 1757, so she falls within the period when the Habsburg hearts were being stored in the Augustinerkirche, though she isn't on the list here. According to Wikipedia, Maria Josepha is buried in the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity in Dresden.

Well, drat. That fits.

• Locked thread