Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
http://www.slashfilm.com/tolkien-biopics/

The money quote

quote:

“Lewis becoming the poster boy for Christianity upset Tolkien,” explained Wernher Pramschufer of Tolkien & Lewis producer Attractive Films. “And obsessive genius Tolkien is blocked, terrified of finishing The Fellowship of the Ring, for fear of the strange, psychotic visions which torture him.”

The first part is just factually wrong of course. Tolkien's objection was that Lewis didn't become Catholic. But the rest of that paragraph is just amazingly out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Sad news incoming:

http://www.thetolkienist.com/2014/07/30/tolkiens-favourite-tree-oxfords-botanic-garden-cut/

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Commemorative wood hardback edition of Leaf By Niggle?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Is there a decent authoritative description of which texts are in which versions of The Lord of the Rings?

Wayne and Christina have some notes on their website. They indicate that the three-volume set sold with the Reader's guide has the original 50th anniversary text (but the reader's guide is updated), while the single volume 60th anniversary edition contains at least some further corrections. But the publisher says both contain the 50th anniversary text

And is it possible to even know which versions the kindle ones are based on?

Also I'm a little bummed that I just bought the reader's guide new and apparently only the boxed version is updated.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Melkor was clearly "bad" before that though. From the minute he played his own chords in the creation song. I think he represents aspects of a whole and will always play to those aspects. It's his nature.

I just re-read the beginning of The Sil and I'll quote the relevant part, from the Valaquenta, regarding Varda:

quote:

Out of the deeps of Ea she came to the aid of Manwe; for Melkor she knew from before the making of the Music and rejected him, and he hated her, and feared her more than all others whom Eru made.

This directly implies Melkor courted Varda, and she rejected him, before the Music. That alone is enough motivation to explain everything else Melkor does.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

redshirt posted:

This directly implies Melkor courted Varda, and she rejected him, before the Music. That alone is enough motivation to explain everything else Melkor does.

She rejects him because she can tell he's an evil shitlord. Once again you're blaming a woman for a dude turning evil.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

rypakal posted:

She rejects him because she can tell he's an evil shitlord. Once again you're blaming a woman for a dude turning evil.

I'm not blaming her, I'm positing a motivation for Melkor's actions.

He gets rejected, he gets mad, he leaves the other Valar and in his absence from them, turns dark. He returns, they sing, and Evil is created in the world.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
The text always implied to me that Evil - or at least a lot of the things that the Elves perceived as evil - was sort of built-in.

quote:

Then Ilúvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Ilúvatar, those things that ye have sung and played, lo! I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.'

quote:

And thou, Melkor, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt perceive that they are but a part of the whole and
tributary to its glory.'

Ilúvatar has some sort of grand plan for the world, and all of what Melkor did was somehow part of it. It's just that all the people telling the story* take those things as Evil and believe they somehow came wholly from Melkor.

*)

quote:

This was made by Rúmil of Túna in the Elder Days.
It is here written as it was spoken in Eressëa
to Ćlfwine by Pengolođ the Sage.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

rypakal posted:

Wow. For all the hand-wringing over "lack of female characters", someone goes and provides an(other) example of a female Tolkien protagonist showing greater wisdom than her male counterparts, exercising her free will in opposition to the will of a male, and you respond with this? Please tell me you're trolling.

Regarding treechat, what would Sam do? He'd probably make some nice furniture out of it and give it to his cousins or something, and then he'd plant another tree. They should plant another tree there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He'd make one of those Fletcher capstan tables out of it.

Oh I know, someone should buy the wood and make it into a wardrobe. Just to gently caress with everybody.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

Wow. For all the hand-wringing over "lack of female characters", someone goes and provides an(other) example of a female Tolkien protagonist showing greater wisdom than her male counterparts, exercising her free will in opposition to the will of a male, and you respond with this? Please tell me you're trolling.

The person I was replying to said Melkor did bad things because Varda rejected him. I was applauding her ability to read Melkor's jerkface intentions and disgusted by even the notion that his actions would be laid at her feet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rypakal posted:

The person I was replying to said Melkor did bad things because Varda rejected him. I was applauding her ability to read Melkor's jerkface intentions and disgusted by even the notion that his actions would be laid at her feet.
Well, he didn't just hate her - he also feared her. That's an interesting fact, isn't it?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

rypakal posted:

My apologies for misunderstanding, then (and for sounding so snarky).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I haven't reread the Lord of the Rings in a while and decided that, instead of starting a massive book read-through when I don't have much time, I would instead give the audiobooks a shot on my commute. They are mostly good but christ it gets weird listening to the jolly old english narrator actually singing all the songs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I loved Rob Inglis. He was a fantastic Saruman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz5WVmpvYp0

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I don't disagree with you, he's a good narrator. I had just forgotten how many times the hobbits say "this was one of bilbo's favorite (eating/drinking/walking/bathing(?!)) songs" and then just start singing, and that was sort of a weird way to be reminded.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That's true and there are many more songs to come. I think, I could be misremembering, that Fellowship is the "worst" in terms of songs. There's one or two in TTT and I don't recall any in ROTK. I might be entirely wrong though.

Glad you like him though. I can't see that well so reading stuff as long as LOTR is just not reasonable for me. As such, the audiobooks were a godsend.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
When I last reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (a year or two ago), I got the idea in my head that I could actually see details of the different authors of the Red Book of Westmarch. There and Back Again is referenced, by Bilbo, as the book he's writing in Rivendell. In The Hobbit, everything speaks and everything sings. In Fellowship, you see people going "Oh god it's Bilbo. Run, or we might get caught up listening to another one of his songs/poems." ... but who wrote Book I? Frodo and the rest show up in Elrond's house and Bilbo begins interrogating them for details, because now he has to write another book.

This also gave me the mental picture of the first few scenes of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas in The Two Towers being written by Frodo, sitting in Bag End, thinking "Okay, I know they told me what happened, but what do I actually say they said and did?" (I was trying to explain to myself why Aragorn had no internal voice. I decided it was either Frodo writing the scene in an overly formal style, or that Aragorn had spent so much time alone in the wilderness that he'd lost all inhibition against talking to himself.)

Of course, it also makes a lot of sense from the exterior perspective: The Lord of the Rings is the sequel to The Hobbit, so it begins with writing that's very much like The Hobbit's, starting both the reader and the characters off in very familiar ground before going on a long journey to a different style/place.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

NikkolasKing posted:

That's true and there are many more songs to come. I think, I could be misremembering, that Fellowship is the "worst" in terms of songs. There's one or two in TTT and I don't recall any in ROTK. I might be entirely wrong though.

Glad you like him though. I can't see that well so reading stuff as long as LOTR is just not reasonable for me. As such, the audiobooks were a godsend.

One thing that he really nailed (if my consumption of british TV period dramas is any indication) is making the hobbits actually sound like english peasants rather than generic british-accented actors.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
Is this off-topic? I hope not.

Anyone pick up the recently released Tolkien translation of Beowulf? I'm reading it along with the extensive commentary and it's absolutely fantastic. I feel like I paid 20 bucks for a seminar with led by Tolkien himself. The commentary is a combo of close reading, historical context, and philological arguments that are written in his easy style.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JohnnyDangerously posted:

Is this off-topic? I hope not.

Anyone pick up the recently released Tolkien translation of Beowulf? I'm reading it along with the extensive commentary and it's absolutely fantastic. I feel like I paid 20 bucks for a seminar with led by Tolkien himself. The commentary is a combo of close reading, historical context, and philological arguments that are written in his easy style.
I'm shocked it took this long to release it, wasn't it his life work, academically?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Nessus posted:

I'm shocked it took this long to release it, wasn't it his life work, academically?

Not really any more than his other translation work.

I really wish we could get thoroughly updated electronic editions of supplemental works. Would love to have a Readers Guide inline with the text of lord of the rings. I could make it myself if I had an ebook of the readers guide. Also why are only two volumes of HoME in ebooks. Stupid publishers take my money!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nessus posted:

His critical essay on Beowulf is what launched his academic reputation. This volume doesn't include that, though, just the translation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Re: narrator's voice, I wrote an essay years ago on the topic. Other than the hobbits, there are only a handful of instances in LotR where we see the mind of a character. There's a fox in FotR , Legolas in TTT, and one other I can't recall at the moment. (Gandalf, perhaps?)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We are in Sauron's head for a brief moment.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

rypakal posted:

Not really any more than his other translation work.

Ehh I'm not so sure. The New Yorker review of this translation mentioned that the reason this translation wasn't published in Tolkien's lifetime is that he considered it a life work, i.e. "if I finish (publish) this, I'll have to shift my efforts elsewhere - something I'm not very interested in doing"

Sure, there are other translations that also went unpublished, but the author of the article attributed this to just bad timing (got a new job, focus shifted)

I'm not sure I agree 100% with the article because it's very difficult for me to say that anything other than LOTR was Tolkien's life's work/purpose, but Beowulf definitely demanded more of his attention than say, Pearl

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

euphronius posted:

When is this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think when Frodo puts on the Ring at Mt. Doom or thereabouts. I know he at least gets to be the focus character briefly here and there in the Silmarillion, though that's more of a mythic mode really.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I think it's when Frodo claims the Ring; Sauron realises his mistake and scrambles the Ringwraiths. But it's hardly stream-of-Sauronic-consciousness.

Vavrek posted:

When I last reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (a year or two ago), I got the idea in my head that I could actually see details of the different authors of the Red Book of Westmarch. There and Back Again is referenced, by Bilbo, as the book he's writing in Rivendell. In The Hobbit, everything speaks and everything sings. In Fellowship, you see people going "Oh god it's Bilbo. Run, or we might get caught up listening to another one of his songs/poems." ... but who wrote Book I? Frodo and the rest show up in Elrond's house and Bilbo begins interrogating them for details, because now he has to write another book.

This also gave me the mental picture of the first few scenes of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas in The Two Towers being written by Frodo, sitting in Bag End, thinking "Okay, I know they told me what happened, but what do I actually say they said and did?" (I was trying to explain to myself why Aragorn had no internal voice. I decided it was either Frodo writing the scene in an overly formal style, or that Aragorn had spent so much time alone in the wilderness that he'd lost all inhibition against talking to himself.)

Of course, it also makes a lot of sense from the exterior perspective: The Lord of the Rings is the sequel to The Hobbit, so it begins with writing that's very much like The Hobbit's, starting both the reader and the characters off in very familiar ground before going on a long journey to a different style/place.

I remember convincing myself that Bilbo wrote Book I, Frodo wrote the rest (and probably revised Bilbo's work) except the end, which Sam wrote. Or perhaps it was all edited together later... Either way the narrator isn't too interested in internal perspective, so it's not because he was being formal.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That was the same breakdown I had come to. The first printings of The Hobbit were Bilbo's original drafts, the post-LotR editions of The Hobbit are Frodo's revised version, with the honest retelling of Riddles in the Dark...

As a tangential aside, does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to get a copy of the pre-LotR The Hobbit? I've never read it, and would like to examine the differences and have it as part of my collection. I've wondered about it for years.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm sure if you know the right people it can't be that hard. My family has what I think is a fairly old edition of The Hobbit with Tolkien's 'Conversation with Smaug' cover. I suspect it doesn't pre-date LotR, though. I've had my own newer version with the original cover since I was about 11 or 12.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

euphronius posted:

I think I know the section you meant. I always wondered if it was because Frodo was in Sauron's thoughts, so to speak. Sauron spoke to Pippin directly via the Palantír, and several other times characters seem to communicate with their thoughts (e.g. Frodo hearing Gandalf on Amon Hen). Now I need to go re-read that chapter.

Edit: VVV I wasn't clear. I was using the Palantír as an example of the mental communications. I understand the "inside Sauron's head" part is at Mount Doom.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 15, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No it's when Frodo claims the ring in Mount Doom.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Greetings Tolkienailures, does anyone have the requisite experience to advise me on how to deflect a friend's well-meaning and persistent recommendation to read The Wheel of Time? He's one of those "Tolkien's fine and all, but Robert Jordan was a real soldier and really understood how battles worked :smug: " types. I've tried to give it a halfhearted go once or twice, but it's always struck me as some kind of Dune/Narn i Hîn Hurin mishmash with lots of gratuitous sex, but then again I haven't exactly been fair or gone about it in good faith.

Should I try harder at it, or anyone have any witty rejoinders I can use in defending my willful ignorance?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Data Graham posted:

Greetings Tolkienailures, does anyone have the requisite experience to advise me on how to deflect a friend's well-meaning and persistent recommendation to read The Wheel of Time? He's one of those "Tolkien's fine and all, but Robert Jordan was a real soldier and really understood how battles worked :smug: " types. I've tried to give it a halfhearted go once or twice, but it's always struck me as some kind of Dune/Narn i Hîn Hurin mishmash with lots of gratuitous sex, but then again I haven't exactly been fair or gone about it in good faith.

Should I try harder at it, or anyone have any witty rejoinders I can use in defending my willful ignorance?

It's a stupid fantasy series and you shouldn't read it, tell him the internet said so if you really want an excuse.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's ok I guess but it's more like a guilty pleasure compared to other stuff.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Have you tried just telling him you didn't like it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's so crazy it just might work.

Oh wait, no it won't, not unless I can convince him I read all 39,000 pages or whatever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Tolkien fought at the battle of the Somme and lost many of his friends in WWI so if they're comparing military service dicks I'd say they're at least equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

As a fan of The Wheel of Time, that's a pretty good description of it. When describing it to people, I usually use LotR analogies for three books, then start referring to every character by their equivalent in Dune for the fourth book. (Five and six ... I know stuff happens, but it doesn't get summarized quite as well. Then it's four books of "He had writer's block and no one bothered telling him no anymore..." capped off by "His writer's block ended! Then he died.")

I looked up Rigney's (Jordan's) biography (was unaware he was a veteran) and it turns out he was a helicopter gunner in Vietnam, so I guess the too-pointed-to-be-helpful reply would be to counter that Tolkien was a footsoldier, clearly he knew better how pre-gunpowder battles worked.

Thinking about it, there's a pretty decent case to be made for the difference in prose styles as a simple matter of taste. I know what I like about each of them, in terms of writing style, is radically different.