Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bad Munki posted:

I think like half of us are. It's this sort of game, man.

The biggest illuminating factor for me was the day I downloaded the Liberal Crime Squad source code and tried to see about giving it a bit of an update or a port into a more modern language than C++.

Yeah that project lasted about a day. LCS is a god damned mess and it's about 5% of the complexity of Dwarf Fortress, so I imagine the DF code is pretty horrifying even accounting for how much better of a programmer Toady likely is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Met posted:

Why are they always called Bronze Colossus if they can be made of slade? Can't it just be renamed to a Colossus?

Yeah I must have hosed up when I made the race and forgot to change a bronze to slade somewhere.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Is there other materials of colosi? Iron colossus? Gold colossus? ADAMANTIUM COLOSSUS?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Motherfucker posted:

Is there other materials of colosi? Iron colossus? Gold colossus? ADAMANTIUM COLOSSUS?

Without modding your game, they only come in bronze.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Without modding your game, they only come in bronze.

Disappointing.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want to do something really fun, it's possible to take a creature, replace the bones with slade, and replace the tissue with adamantine.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

my dad posted:

If you want to do something really fun, it's possible to take a creature, replace the bones with slade, and replace the tissue with adamantine.

Honestly, the fact that you can do this and it works pretty much perfectly is a sign that maybe Toady isn't as bad at all this coding poo poo as people like to pretend.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Dwarf Fortress' coding reminds me a lot of how movies present hacking. You can duct tape virus A with worm B and put it on satellite C and suddenly you've created a super virus. Whereas in the real world, the moment two different systems don't talk to each other purposefully, everything breaks in terrible ways and you get Exception: Eat Dicks.

In Toadys world, every piece of the puzzle is modeled in its own simulation and then ducttaped together, and somehow it works (mostly).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

code:
related to 	0004763	new	 	Nobles with multiple bedrooms gain unhappy though from sleeping in inferior one
Nobles are such assholes.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

OH HELLO

Bug tracker posted:

- 0004616: [Dwarf Mode -- Jobs, Farming/Farmer's Workshop] Spinning stacks of wool only produces a single yarn thread (Toady One) - resolved.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I loving love the post-release bug fixes. "Hey guys it's time to fix all the bugs in the new version!" *fixes a shitload of old bugs like whatevs*

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Zurai posted:

Honestly, the fact that you can do this and it works pretty much perfectly is a sign that maybe Toady isn't as bad at all this coding poo poo as people like to pretend.

He's definitely gotten better at it over the years, but it's still the same project so the bad old stuff has the new things sitting on top and weirdness shows up here and there.

The RAWs are great, but he has SO MUCH unneeded redundancy and repetition in them. I kind of want to sit down and simplify things out (I think Masterwork has something similar?) but that would take so much horrible time. I understand how the RAW bugs end up there because gently caress trying to edit those without going insane.

I did go and make better standardized bodies and such way back before the major body rewrites but I can't really be arsed to go into all that detail. Also I lost my custom language syntax for Notepad++ and can't be arsed to recreate it.

E: The problem with all the news of bugfixes is I keep wanting to put off starting a new fort once I gently caress one, because the new version will be just around the corner...

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 31, 2014

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I just wish that somewhere in the two years between releases he would go on a bug fixing spree. Take a break from the new stuff, just fix old bugs. He would probably be distracted by something and start simulating creatures nightmares.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's what he does after each big release, no? It's what he's doing now, afaict.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Selklubber posted:

I just wish that somewhere in the two years between releases he would go on a bug fixing spree. Take a break from the new stuff, just fix old bugs. He would probably be distracted by something and start simulating creatures nightmares.

But that's literally what he's been doing for the last three weeks

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I think he means instead of spending two years on a bunch of new features he spends two years fixing ALL the outstanding bugs and making the game overall more efficient and poo poo.

But gently caress that, it's boring.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, I'd love to read about all the niggling bugs that are like thumbtacks under my heel being fixed knowing that I can't get at the improved version dangling just out of reach. For months.

Years.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Selklubber posted:

I think that you mean that you would want Today to take a break from new feature creation every few month to fix the current version's bugs, correct? If so, our thoughts are aligned.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

You can defeat an adamantium colossus by hitting it with a baseball bat so it flies off the map, or just wait for a stiff breeze.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Now i'm trying to use the "exterminate him" command in DFhack, but it keeps asking me to select a target ingame despite me having my cursor over the dwarf. Any tips?

EDIT: Nevermind, i suspect the newbie pack lacks this script.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 31, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

You can defeat an adamantium colossus by hitting it with a baseball bat so it flies off the map, or just wait for a stiff breeze.

its strikes would also feel much like giant marshmallow gently tapping you.

not exactly fearsome.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It would also be completely indestructable, and more than capable of strangling your dwarves or snapping every bone in their body.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Can anybody help me with the best way to train up some military dwarves?

I can never seem to get above Novice rank in anything useful and they all die horrible deaths fighting anything (including going fully armoured with training swords against unarmed goblins).

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Squads of 3-4 men at most, lectures stretch out to infinity otherwise. Try to make sure there's at least one guy with some weapon skill or fighting experience in each one, wait for migrants or bring along an educated teacher. Let them keep at it uninterrupted, don't cycle them in and out of service every month.

Or just chase down and pummel wildlife. That's even easier now that dwarves can sprint down their targets.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my dad posted:

It would also be completely indestructable, and more than capable of strangling your dwarves or snapping every bone in their body.

You could flick it off you with your fingers and its surface area to weight ratio would probably send it floating into the sky. I shouldn't play Kerbal and DF at the same time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The funny bit is that falling damage doesn't look at density or even the mass, but the straight volume of the fall-ee. The poor bastard would shatter if it fell into a stone pit.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

KEHITYSVERKKOPÄIVÄKIRJA

Toady One posted:

I was interviewed for this Uusi Suomi article by Teemu Kammonen. It is in Finnish.

Shorter programming day today as we have month-end bookkeeping stuff to do, but there was some progress. Thread spinning no longer gobbles up entire stacks of wool. Animal traps will no longer be baited with entire stacks of food. Custom reactions should respect raw material (globs/bars/etc.) amounts now (thanks for spotting the problem, ag), though reactions that use a small amount of a raw material will still use at least one from a stack (unless there are other ingredients to use or it is the lone reagent, then it'll multiply it up). Reactions will also trim away pieces of bodies properly. All jobs that affect body components (anything that uses bone, for example) will now carve away pieces of the body component, which'll leave a "partially butchered" wound type on the limbs etc. that were used in jobs if the skeleton is animated. Leather from skins is still not computed according to size, though -- that's a slightly more difficult problem since they use a custom product tag for tanning.

I probably should translate that, huh.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
I just got the starter pack for the new build, and I can't get dfhack to work with it. It just quits instantly when I try to run it separately, and the DFHack tab in the Starter Pack launcher is just a completely blank spreadsheet field. Am I missing something?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Elven caravan just brought a breeding pair of Grizzly Bears.

:getin:

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Playing Adventure, I raided a cave packed to the gills with all kinds of dragons, and at the end, I found three dragon eggs. There are three pertinent questions:
  1. Is it possible that they are fertile?
  2. If so, will they ever hatch?
  3. How long will it take, as in, what are my chances of getting killed gruesomely before they do hatch?
  4. If they will hatch, and in a timely manner, will they maul me as soon as they come out, or will I get to lead a trio of baby dragons around like little ducklings? :3:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tinkerttoy posted:

Playing Adventure, I raided a cave packed to the gills with all kinds of dragons, and at the end, I found three dragon eggs. There are three pertinent questions:
  3. How long will it take, as in, what are my chances of getting killed gruesomely before they do hatch?
  4. If they will hatch, and in a timely manner, will they maul me as soon as they come out, or will I get to lead a trio of baby dragons around like little ducklings? :3:

They will recognize you as the mother of dragons...

Khaleesi.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

But you need to set yourself on fire first. Toady is a big fan of a song of ice and fire you see...

I wish I know how to gen a world with more than one drat dragon.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Shadowlz posted:

But you need to set yourself on fire first. Toady is a big fan of a song of ice and fire you see...
You also need to burn a necromancer and the zombie corpse of your lover.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spoggerific posted:

Is there any point to designating a dormitory? I usually just let my roomless dwarves sleep in the spare hospital beds. Does it get rid of the "slept without a proper room" thought, but not give a "slept in own bedroom" thought?

I usually have a dormitory as the first sleeping area. I'd rather have the starting 7 just do that and spend time getting the fort going rather than digging out individual bedrooms that early.

Also as a temporary overflow bed area when you get those 30 dwarf migrant waves.

Usually the dorm lasts a year or so before I get on top of individual bedrooms.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

tinkerttoy posted:

With a lot of dragons in the area, presuming some were male, they could be fertile!
In theory, they should hatch if you don't touch them. Eggs take three months to hatch. They will almost certainly try to kill you.

Maybe you could embark a fort on the cave? Then you might be able to tame the baby dragons.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I think he means instead of spending two years on a bunch of new features he spends two years fixing ALL the outstanding bugs and making the game overall more efficient and poo poo.

But gently caress that, it's boring.

Well not two years fixing bugs. After some months doing new stuff he could take a break from that, spend some weeks fixing bugs then going back to the new stuff. The bug where dwarves stand on the tile they're trying to build a wall on for example.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Selklubber posted:

Well not two years fixing bugs. After some months doing new stuff he could take a break from that, spend some weeks fixing bugs then going back to the new stuff. The bug where dwarves stand on the tile they're trying to build a wall on for example.
That one was fixed a few days ago.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I know, it was just an example of a bug he fixed in a day, when it's been existing for at least two years.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Is there any way in worldgen to increase the number of goblins? I've generated a few worlds now, keep finding a decent spot and the only nearby civs are humans and dwarfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Tenebrais posted:

With a lot of dragons in the area, presuming some were male, they could be fertile!
In theory, they should hatch if you don't touch them. Eggs take three months to hatch. They will almost certainly try to kill you.

Maybe you could embark a fort on the cave? Then you might be able to tame the baby dragons.

Thanks! On the off-chance that my picking them up and taking them away from their nest doesn't screw things up, which it probably will, it'll be pretty drat funny to suddenly unleash several small dragons upon a random hamlet.