Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
New chapter is out, for those that missed it: http://mngacow.com/The-Gamer/48/1/?all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, OK yeah this guy's power is getting just ridiculous.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gooood loving drat it Jee-Han, you're a bullshit character.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hahahaha that wisdom gain, trolling the gently caress out of this thread

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was going to say; it's like the author read the last couple of pages.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So he can now passively with no negative consequences train his defensive and summoning skills and since he is always regenerating mana that skill might also always be increasing. A week from now he will be unstoppable.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's like watching Cookie Clicker in the form of a human being. :stonk:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Shugojin posted:

Gooood loving drat it Jee-Han, you're a bullshit character.

I think the kicker is that the only thing that really gives him an edge is being able to see some of the underlying mechanics on which the world seems to operate. Everything else is stuff that other people could totally do, and in many cases they would definitely do it better, if they were on equal ground. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual proper antagonist had an equally viable infinite loop using stuff that Jeehan doesn't have, or just straight up better than what he's using, but had to work really loving hard to figure out that it was doable, how it would work and even that it was a perfectly sustainable loop in the first place. Without knowing the numbers going on under the hood, there's no real easy way to figure it out and that's where Jeehan's sheer bullshit lies. He has that information and can shortcut so much of the hard work and effort that anyone else would have to put in to even come close.

All that said, I can't wait for him to fight someone who just immediately throws out some kind of sleeping gas and it knocks him right out on the spot. He's getting a wee bit too cocky now that he's figured out his infinite MP trick, and the thing with the shield not stopping gasses is implying that's going to be important at some point.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, OK yeah this guy's power is getting just ridiculous.
I read this comment and then read the update expecting something new to happen, and I guess I was disappointed? I dunno, abusing magic leveling with strong magic regen is normal and we already knew he could manually raise his stats like a pleb. This was always going to happen, he just needed the base strength and tools to really abuse his leveling ability. This guy's power has always been ridiculous, he's just starting to tap into that.

Dragonatrix posted:

All that said, I can't wait for him to fight someone who just immediately throws out some kind of sleeping gas and it knocks him right out on the spot. He's getting a wee bit too cocky now that he's figured out his infinite MP trick, and the thing with the shield not stopping gasses is implying that's going to be important at some point.
Yeah, he's getting very smug when he has the exact same weaknesses he's always had. It doesn't matter if you can keep your mana shield up for 30 minutes or forever, a mana shield doesn't handle everything. Neither does Gnome. At least he's expanding his arsenal rather than just continuing to focus on Int.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This was the first chapter to make me go, "oh that's bullshit!" out loud.

Dragonatrix posted:

I think the kicker is that the only thing that really gives him an edge is being able to see some of the underlying mechanics on which the world seems to operate. Everything else is stuff that other people could totally do, and in many cases they would definitely do it better, if they were on equal ground. I wouldn't be surprised if an actual proper antagonist had an equally viable infinite loop using stuff that Jeehan doesn't have, or just straight up better than what he's using, but had to work really loving hard to figure out that it was doable, how it would work and even that it was a perfectly sustainable loop in the first place. Without knowing the numbers going on under the hood, there's no real easy way to figure it out and that's where Jeehan's sheer bullshit lies. He has that information and can shortcut so much of the hard work and effort that anyone else would have to put in to even come close.

I think one of his main bits of OP-ness is his ability to grind. Grinding doesn't work in real life, or for others that aren't near him. He and his party members get to hit weak things for a few hours and then allocate gains arbitrarily. I doubt anyone else in that world can turn punches into brains.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The barrier lets light pass as well.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Grinding doesn't work in real life

Go lift stuff.

(punches into brains is still bullshit)

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES

Dragonatrix posted:

Next thing he's going to get will be an air elemental.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Congrats, idiot Jeehan, youre a wizard with more MP than HP. Hope you dont meet someone with mana burn.

e: Sorry for the slur everyone.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'm interested in seeing psychokinesis in action. It'd be nice if it was an Int based no MP attack he could pull out.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Fellis posted:

Hahahaha that wisdom gain, trolling the gently caress out of this thread

I laughed like hell at that wisdom gain. One of the best moments of the comic so far!

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

Dragonatrix posted:

I don't think the world works this way for anyone else. Sure he can see the numbers, but he also gets straight up stat points he can use however he wants, regardless of what skills he uses to level. Also how he mentions he doesn't feel prolonged pain or tiredness anymore, his HP just goes down and then he feels fine. He'll be able to grind his physical ability pretty crazy fast now, especially if his heal can be used to speed up his recovery.

I want to see what the other elementals are going to be.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eagerly awaiting the battle where he gets completely clowned and dies, only to respawn in bed

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bybus Slago posted:

I want to see what the other elementals are going to be.

Every single one will be a little girl.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Wind should be a big burly dude that's surprisingly light on his feet.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ytlaya posted:

Every single one will be a little girl.

Barf. I wasn't sold on gnome until she executed that ogre with her earth spear, but after that I guess I can deal with a single cutesy little girl character. Please no more though.

Laughed like an idiot when wisdom was raised up.

Also, the writer has been hinting that you can gain stat points just through hard work and that for where our guy is, he may be of a decent level, but stat points only get you so far. I like that you actually have to put in the work beyond ogre slaying. In fact I think he may be overleveled, but understatted if that makes sense.

Still waiting for all of this level up nonsense to take a back burner to plot again though. I like plot, but I'm not getting much of it.

Still hoping his cocky rear end gets demolished by trained fighters to show the difference between experience and EXP if you get my meaning.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Dude works on RPG rules. Also all of his skills require vocalization to work. Watch him run into another mage that can cast a silencing spell.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ice Phisherman posted:

Still waiting for all of this level up nonsense to take a back burner to plot again though. I like plot, but I'm not getting much of it.

I think this series is just gonna be hundreds of chapters of descriptions of how the MC levels up and everyone else complaining about how unfair he is

They will throw a chapter or two in there that seems plotty, or like things are gonna happen, but its just gonna go right back into MC realizing some new way to munchkin himself into godhood

I mean, we haven't even really gotten into craft skills yet, besides confirmation that they do exist

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Willias posted:

Dude works on RPG rules. Also all of his skills require vocalization to work. Watch him run into another mage that can cast a silencing spell.
He'll have a stack of x999 Echo Herbs in his inventory.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nahxela posted:

He'll have a stack of x999 Echo Herbs in his inventory.

GOTTA SAVE UP ELIXIRS. Never know when you need one.

And then he has three stacks of full heals. Jee han hammerspace net worth: untold trillions.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't know why people keep saying he needs vit or agi or whatever. I think it's obvious that a permanent mana shield is just better, assuming it actually blocks anything worth blocking (has he tested it against attacks?). And if it doesn't now, it probably would at higher levels. Honestly I think that's the most OP skill he has right now. Having more vit or agi wouldn't help him against a gas attack anyway. Maybe wisdom.

I kind of wonder why he decided to do his running without mana shield or gnome up though. Didn't he just say that he could grind them at the same time?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 1, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

GOTTA SAVE UP ELIXIRS. Never know when you need one.

And then he has three stacks of full heals. Jee han hammerspace net worth: untold trillions.

And if someone murders him, does the loot drop EVE style?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Raise int to 300, drop the wizard motif, go super science, upload your brain to a computer and bootstrap your way to digital godhood.

Becoming an immortal lich is so last century.

Clarste posted:

I don't know why people keep saying he needs vit or agi or whatever. I think it's obvious that a permanent mana shield is just better, assuming it actually blocks anything worth blocking (has he tested it against attacks?). And if it doesn't now, it probably would at higher levels. Honestly I think that's the most OP skill he has right now. Having more vit or agi wouldn't help him against a gas attack anyway. Maybe wisdom.

I kind of wonder why he decided to do his running without mana shield or gnome up though. Didn't he just say that he could grind them at the same time?

Perma mana shield is great until someone blows through it, nullifies his magic, teleports a bomb inside of it, drains his mana by skill or by a prolonged fight...

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 1, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

Perma mana shield is great until someone blows through it, nullifies his magic, teleports a bomb inside of it, drains his mana by skill or by a prolonged fight...

None of which a tiny amount more vit or agi would help him with either. If he turned into the hulk maybe he could tank a teleport bomb. But that's less "put a bit of points into vit" and more "I'm completely useless at everything but tanking teleport bombs". And how would vit help him take a hit that his ridiculous int-boosted mana shield wouldn't? Agi's a slightly different story, but it's kind of obvious on its face that having a permanent barrier always going to be faster than any reaction speed.

And the solution to running out of mana is to have more mana, not to create a terrible hybrid build that's useless at everything.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

Agi's a slightly different story, but it's kind of obvious on its face that having a permanent barrier always going to be faster than any reaction speed.
And he's keeping up this impenetrable shield 24/7, at school, at the shop, etc.? No matter what, reaction time is always going to help his magic perform better, in that it'll allow him to perform the magic when he needs to.

As far as vitality goes, this could easily be one of those systems where vitality increases your resistance to negative status effects. 10 vitality and get hit by a silence attack? 100% success rate, you're dead. 50 vitality and get hit by a silence attack? 0% success rate, still living. I usually like going with some kind of equipment to handle status effects though, so I'm not that big on the vitality aspect.

Clarste posted:

And the solution to running out of mana is to have more mana, not to create a terrible hybrid build that's useless at everything.

Meme Emulator posted:

Congrats, idiot Jeehan, youre a wizard with more MP than HP. Hope you dont meet someone with mana burn.

That actually might be a reason to get vitality, assuming it raises HP. Prevent him from being one shotted by a very common ability that exists in many games.

EDIT: I guess what this really comes down to is a question of what magic can do for him. If this game has stat boosting spells and magical abilities that prevent magical abilities from being tampered in some way (I mean I guess it could exist), he could literally cover all his bases with just Int. The question is what ways he can support and protect his plan A and what plan B can he possibly rely on.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Twiddy posted:

And he's keeping up this impenetrable shield 24/7, at school, at the shop, etc.? No matter what, reaction time is always going to help his magic perform better, in that it'll allow him to perform the magic when he needs to.

Why not? He regens more mana per second than it costs. I thought that was the point of his "bwahahahaha I'm so OP" speech just now. He even got bonus wisdom for figuring out the combo.

quote:

As far as vitality goes, this could easily be one of those systems where vitality increases your resistance to negative status effects. 10 vitality and get hit by a silence attack? 100% success rate, you're dead. 50 vitality and get hit by a silence attack? 0% success rate, still living. I usually like going with some kind of equipment to handle status effects though, so I'm not that big on the vitality aspect.

I suppose, but it's always important to remember that the world doesn't actually work like a game, he just forces everything he touches to work like a game. So it's unlikely there's actually a "silence" spell in existence because that's kinda weird, people would just aim for your throat or control the air around you or whatever. Poison is probably the most likely to be affected by something like that.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Clarste posted:

Why not? He regens more mana per second than it costs. I thought that was the point of his "bwahahahaha I'm so OP" speech just now. He even got bonus wisdom for figuring out the combo.
Can paper pass through it? Can he write an essay through his impenetrable mana barrier? How about social interactions? People suddenly run into a barrier about a foot away from him. Obviously air can pass through the barrier, but by definition it has to be actively excluding some things, and that is inherently unnatural. He can't keep it up 24/7 because otherwise people would take notice.

Clarste posted:

I suppose, but it's always important to remember that the world doesn't actually work like a game, he just forces everything he touches to work like a game. So it's unlikely there's actually a "silence" spell in existence because that's kinda weird, people would just aim for your throat or control the air around you or whatever. Poison is probably the most likely to be affected by something like that.
I mean, silence is just a generic name for a status that causes the inability to use spells or skills. Maybe magic works through some chakra type system in this world and the person can shut it off with some kind of shock, therefore applying a "silence" effect that vitality could protect against. That's really far into the speculation tank, and as I said I'm not big on the Vit stat. You're right, poison's probably the big one. I wonder if there's a poisonous gas that inhibits magical ability in this world?

EDIT: Okay, you know what I think is a lot more important than increasing other stats right now? Buying every magical tome and reference book possible so he has a clear idea what magic can protect him against and what kind of anti magic methods exist. He can't find research for game stats anywhere, but he sure as hell can find out what he has to fight against.

One reason I'm mentioning this is because I usually don't treat poison like a big deal, and that's because passive poison resistance/immunity is relatively common. Poison is a much bigger deal in real life, so it would be nice if he could find some kind of bs poison immunity passive.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 1, 2014

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
guys as far as we know he doesn't have a limit to his stats, he's not wasting any resource but time and he's not wasing that either because he can train his wizard poo poo and physical stuff at the same time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elfgames posted:

guys as far as we know he doesn't have a limit to his stats, he's not wasting any resource but time and he's not wasing that either because he can train his wizard poo poo and physical stuff at the same time.

He's training "normally" for physical stuff though, meaning he can't really be any better than a normal person, manhwa super martial arts aside. He'd actually have to put, like, effort into it. By contrast he magically gets floating stat points for beating up monsters, allowing him to pump things to extreme superhuman levels. The other side of the coin about his new training regimen is that he's now too smart to actually learn anything by studying. He literally cannot get smarter by mundane means.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Nah, he got an int point for diligent studying once. Of course, that was when his int was low. I assume it gets harder to raise your stats the normal way as they get higher. Luck is the one stat I am not sure how he would raise by legit real world grinding.

Int seems like it was the right choice. Int controls magic and magic is way more versatile than any of the physical stats. Put another way, he would need strength, vitality, and agility to be a powerful physical fighter, but he only needs int to be a great wizard. I do wish he'd make better use of his social resources, though. He wanted to develop a teleportation skill at one point, but he never asked his informed friends if such a skill existed and if a skill manual was available on the black market.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

He's training "normally" for physical stuff though, meaning he can't really be any better than a normal person, manhwa super martial arts aside.

He recovers back to 100% after 30 minutes of rest due to his gamer body ability, so he can theoretically cram up to 12 days of normie training into 24 hours, assuming he could work out some kind of insane 30-minute exercise regimen.

edit: Speaking of which, does he need to sleep for 8 hours anymore?

Law Cheetah fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 1, 2014

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Law Cheetah posted:

He recovers back to 100% after 30 minutes of rest due to his gamer body ability, so he can theoretically cram up to 12 days of normie training into 24 hours, assuming he could work out some kind of insane 30-minute exercise regimen

Now I want the next chapter to begin with a "two months later" tag and Jee-han's become maximum swole patrol

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

Law Cheetah posted:

He recovers back to 100% after 30 minutes of rest due to his gamer body ability, so he can theoretically cram up to 12 days of normie training into 24 hours, assuming he could work out some kind of insane 30-minute exercise regimen.

edit: Speaking of which, does he need to sleep for 8 hours anymore?

With time compression it's probably more like 1 month of training in one day.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

He's training "normally" for physical stuff though, meaning he can't really be any better than a normal person, manhwa super martial arts aside. He'd actually have to put, like, effort into it. By contrast he magically gets floating stat points for beating up monsters, allowing him to pump things to extreme superhuman levels. The other side of the coin about his new training regimen is that he's now too smart to actually learn anything by studying. He literally cannot get smarter by mundane means.

No he's training normally for that day he's going to be training with Sun-Il "tomarrow" using his family's training methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zahrkon posted:

With time compression it's probably more like 1 month of training in one day.

All of that, and also consider that it's unclear what the upper limits of his stat grinding is. Like, if he's already at the very upper limits of human strength, and he does a half hour of strength training, will he just keep getting strength bonus points anyway like some crazy DBZ character? It seems very possible to me.

It's entirely possible that within a month or something crazy like that he'd have absurd super-human physical stats just from the work-out benefits, even if he still puts all his level-up points into int or whatever. (since he'd probably still level from fitness training, even if at a lower rate)

Of course, that doesn't mean that he should do that, just that he could. I think you guys have me convinced that VIT might (might) not be worth it, but I think some AGI would still be useful, at the very least for spell reaction/cast time.