Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I've found much of the time they don't know what they want, won't understand the document anyway and will accept whatever you throw together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

sanchez posted:

I've found much of the time they don't know what they want, won't understand the document anyway and will accept whatever you throw together.

But if it is only a couple of sentences they will tell you it needs more. If you ask what is missing they won't be able to say, just that it needs more information.

Maybe throw in a few paragraphs of bacon ipsum so that it looks long/wordy and they will glance an eye at it and say it is good.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

nitrogen posted:

I love vague assignments.

:airquote: Write a knowledgebase article on boot from SAN for linux.
:eng101: Why?
:airquote: because ${manager} asked for it.
:eng101: ok, but why does he want it. What purpose does this article need to serve?
:airquote: Just write it.

So I ask ${manager} what he wants in the article.

:eng101: what does this kb article you requested need to say?
:cop: I need you to document the config for boot from san.
:eng101: there is really no config required for linux, its supported natively, along with multipath. What purpose do you want this article to serve? is it so the support folks know what boot from san is? Do you want them to be able to replicate it if necessary? Do you just want a basic article explaining how it works?
:cop: I really don't have time to tell you how to do your job.

So the article I wrote just says "${customer} uses boot from san on all their physical blade servers."

I'm sure that's not enough, but i'll get yelled at for lack of content and maybe then they'll tell me what they really want.

To play devil's advocate, your manager probably doesn't know what it entails. When I get requests like this I usually just assume they want me to start from zero and go from there.

Something like assumptions:
1. Storage has been provisioned and masked to the host
2. Host is in a single initiator zone with the required storage ports

Then your basic system level poo poo:
1. Enable HBA option ROM
2. Specify boot LUN
3. Do a shot

Then your boilerplate:
This poo poo natively works with CentOS/RHEL version X.Y and greater!
Add any config stuff that should actually be done before calling it a day.

Throw in some links to existing KB articles and then loop in the people that asked to see if that met their needs.

This is a situation I often find myself in so I've just come to take that approach with a lot of ambiguous requests for documentation then solicit feedback. From there they'll usually say something like "oh hey actually I wanted a bill of materials we'd support in this config and X as well"

Those sorts of managers will always exist so I've found I've had to learn how to become a bit of a mind reader for these sorts of things.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Why the gently caress is Remedy so god drat slow? It shouldn't take 5 minutes to save a single update to a ticket

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

sanchez posted:

My ex-boss kept asking me for more documentation on the company network even after I'd given him diagrams, address assignment lists, management credentials, etc. You know, all the things a competent admin would need to begin familiarizing him/herself with a network built by someone else. I think he really wanted me to write "how to network admin for dummies non-technical managers who know enough to royally gently caress everything up" so he could avoid hiring another competent admin after I left.

This guy's approach to IT was, and probably still is:
1. Identify Problem
2. Talk to sales people who sell appliance that "solves" Problem (and ignore whatever advice his technical underlings provide)
3. Buy expensive appliance, but not support
4. Half-configure it and put it into production
5. Get frustrated when it doesn't work exactly the way he thought it would, but spend no time trying to configure it properly or explore its capabilities
6. GOTO 1

Putting out easily-avoidable fires constantly gets old really really fast.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 31, 2014

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Why the gently caress is Remedy so god drat slow? It shouldn't take 5 minutes to save a single update to a ticket

It's slow as poo poo for us when using the client. I've been working on a Java app though that submits tickets through their API and it works perfectly well through that :shrug:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

1000101 posted:

To play devil's advocate, your manager probably doesn't know what it entails. When I get requests like this I usually just assume they want me to start from zero and go from there.

See, that's reasonable. So here's part two.

I asked that manager and he honestly responded, "I don't know. Ask [the technical people responsible for the account] what they want.

so I asked them.

"Document anything you think will aid in troubleshooting."

So the document I wrote is a single line that links to redhat's documentation on boot from san.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Fellatio del Toro posted:

It's slow as poo poo for us when using the client. I've been working on a Java app though that submits tickets through their API and it works perfectly well through that :shrug:

.... We might have to go to Remedyforce. Anyone know anything about this ticketing system?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Holy poo poo developers piss me off.

Apparently when our build server isn't building fast enough, it's OK to email 300 people in the company with a critical escalation.

An hour later, the build finishes without any issues, the dev takes credit for solving a problem that didn't loving exist.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

RFC2324 posted:

Is it hosted offsite or are you hosting? That can make all the difference.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A ridiculous storm meant that sleep was hard to come by last night, which meant that my wife would be exhausted, which meant she'd be in bed by 9, which meant I'd have the run of the place after that, which meant I didn't need to do some tedious work which is due tomorrow until late tonight, which meant that I could cut out of work early and pass out on the couch because I was tired too, which meant that I'd have no problem staying up tonight and knocking out the work that my boss is going to want in his inbox tomorrow.

The plan fell apart around 12:45am when, as I walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth I realized, holy potato, I forgot all about work! Cue staying up until 3am. Classic.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tango alpha delta posted:

Is it hosted offsite or are you hosting? That can make all the difference.

Its hosted in this data center, but the load on it must be pretty high. We generate 10k+ tickets a day globally, which likely explains it.

Still, put more horsepower behind it!

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

nitrogen posted:

I love vague assignments.

During an office migration:
:black101: "We want to set up a TV on a wall to show stuff"
:allears: What do you need it do?
:black101: "Just get the equipment ready ASAP!"
:allears: right ok *Orders the cheapest 50" TV, cheapest Dell box, and HDMI over ethernet adapter kit*

Move in the office > decide they want the TV somewhere else > adapter kit now not even needed > management blow off all demos and information about wallboard software > TV remains not even mounted onto the wall > Months later it gets hung up and I put on open office and UltraVNC to show manager how to remote into it > Next week he leaves the company.

A month ago:
:black101: "We want a survey, go find some software"
:allears: There's tons to choose from, but Surveymonkey and Surveygizmo look good
:black101: "Go with what you think is best"
:allears: I made a sample customer satisfaction survey using Surveygizmo, it'll also plug into our CRM for cool monitoring stuff

Radio silence > hello? > anyone? > bueller?

And of course today:
:black101: "I want all of this new comer's equipment and accounts ready so she can work as soon as she walks into the building!"
:allears: OK

New person turns up > All her poo poo is ready to go > Nobody's told me about what phone lines shes supposed to be on > Literally nobody even has a loving scooby-do about what she's even supposed to do let alone carry out any training.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
More poo poo that pisses you off: Holy potato, I forgot all about work!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

I think everybody has days like that - cue in couple of repos with stuff not integrated into the main one, because they were needed "now now now" and then hm... Most of the stuff with functionalities that would really be handy if it were to be approved.

Today I'm pissed off at myself because a) work experience kid tested the website I was doing for the last month and found quite a bunch of issues b) I've tested the website and found even more. This being at the point where I was quite happy with the project and not expecting for it to be that troublesome. I feel like I can't trust myself, even with the tolerant mindset of "everybody makes mistakes" at my workplace.

On the upside - I've went through everything I could have, fixed everything I was able to find, closed all of my tickets, closed all of my tasks, responded to all of my emails.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
:) We made some back-end updates to {Data Set A}. Can you please check to see if had any unexpected results on your calculations.
:j: Sure thing! I checked {Data Set B}, it it looks great!
:cripes:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Me: Hey everybody heres that documentation on how to foo the bars, note that there are two parts to the instructions, paragraph 1 is about how to actually foo, paragraph 2 is what to do with the bars when you are done fooing.
Idiot: Hey I followed your instructions to the letter but it's not working!?!?
Me: Did you do the thing with the bars I told you in the 2nd paragraph?
Idiot: No I only read the 1st paragraph.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
At least they read your emails, you lucky duck.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

eithedog posted:

I think everybody has days like that - cue in couple of repos with stuff not integrated into the main one, because they were needed "now now now" and then hm... Most of the stuff with functionalities that would really be handy if it were to be approved.

Today I'm pissed off at myself because a) work experience kid tested the website I was doing for the last month and found quite a bunch of issues b) I've tested the website and found even more. This being at the point where I was quite happy with the project and not expecting for it to be that troublesome. I feel like I can't trust myself, even with the tolerant mindset of "everybody makes mistakes" at my workplace.

On the upside - I've went through everything I could have, fixed everything I was able to find, closed all of my tickets, closed all of my tasks, responded to all of my emails.

I know how you feel, but this is exactly why you do testing. No one's infallible and that's why you have these processes. The system is working as intended, so just take a deep breath, be glad you have a testing process and these issues were identified, and make plans to do something fun this weekend. :)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasn't it Sickening who a while ago got fired and had to be hired back at like $10,000 to do something simple like update a router config because his old boss claimed he didnt leave any documentation? Even though he did it just wasnt step by step this is a router this is the CLI type walk through.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wasn't it Sickening who a while ago got fired and had to be hired back at like $10,000 to do something simple like update a router config because his old boss claimed he didnt leave any documentation? Even though he did it just wasnt step by step this is a router this is the CLI type walk through.

Yes, but the best part was the ensuing discussion about the pros and cons of spending that money on a vacation with your wife versus a boat. I still don't know which one won.

(I hope it was the boat.)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cenodoxus posted:

Yes, but the best part was the ensuing discussion about the pros and cons of spending that money on a vacation with your wife versus a boat. I still don't know which one won.

(I hope it was the boat.)

Spoiler, the boat didn't win. :(

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm just a colossal dork at 3am. :)

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Dick Trauma posted:

mods!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Documentation always comes last on the project list, it would be terribly inefficient to do it any other way :eng101:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Pissing me off: email signatures.

We us a very roundabout way to generate email signatures for users, which I'm trying to streamline and use native tools for. But between the inadequacy of said tools (Microsoft and HTML/CSS never seem to play nicely) and executive red tape, I might just be better off forgetting the whole thing.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My company finally decided to remove the fax number from the required email signature. However we are now required to include the company's linkedin page. Augh.

Also my new boss just walked in and told us the story about how the Americans spent millions of dollars on a space pen and the Russians used a pencil, and acted surprised when everyone in the office said 'wait that's not true'.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

xiw posted:

Also my new boss just walked in and told us the story about how the Americans spent millions of dollars on a space pen and the Russians used a pencil, and acted surprised when everyone in the office said 'wait that's not true'.

It's an allegory.

Engineers don't understand jokes.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

evol262 posted:

It's an allegory.

Bosses who tell stories like that don't know that they're allegories either.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
It's also an allegory about how doing something properly can sometimes take a surprising amount of money and effort.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It's not even that applicable to IT, either.

Don't buy an EMC SAN because a row of external hard drives has as much capacity?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It's not even that applicable to IT, either.

Don't buy an EMC SAN because a row of external hard drives has as much capacity?

You know better than to jokingly say that in the 30-drive RAID0 array forum.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

evol262 posted:

It's an allegory.

It's not an allegory, people literally believe it's true. If it were an allegory, bosses wouldn't be repeating it, because if it's an allegory for anything, it's an allegory for how eschewing proper R&D in favor of implementing "obvious" solutions without consulting with your engineers often creates dangerous situations that undermine every other dollar you've put into a project and risk total failure of a mission*, just so you can save a proverbial nickel, and that's not how middle managers see the world.

*implementation/deployment/contract/whatever is applicable to your situation

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

beepsandboops posted:

Pissing me off: email signatures.

We us a very roundabout way to generate email signatures for users, which I'm trying to streamline and use native tools for. But between the inadequacy of said tools (Microsoft and HTML/CSS never seem to play nicely) and executive red tape, I might just be better off forgetting the whole thing.

At my last place we used signature-making and calendar-sharing as a kind of first-day "how well can you follow simple directions" test. We had nice, extensive documents explaining precisely how to do the entire thing.

I'm still impressed we had a 75% success rate.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sir_Substance posted:

It's not an allegory, people literally believe it's true. If it were an allegory, bosses wouldn't be repeating it, because if it's an allegory for anything, it's an allegory for how eschewing proper R&D in favor of implementing "obvious" solutions without consulting with your engineers often creates dangerous situations that undermine every other dollar you've put into a project and risk total failure of a mission*, just so you can save a proverbial nickel, and that's not how middle managers see the world.

*implementation/deployment/contract/whatever is applicable to your situation

People believing it's literally true (and the actual story is pretty interesting anyway, even though it's not at all similar) doesn't change that telling such a story (true or not) is allegorical.

If you wanted to teach the "R&D matters!" lesson you'd tell a different story (there are a number of car and military analogies which work).

If you wanted to teach "penny wise, pound foolish" or a similar idiom, you could also find better analogies.

The space pen bit isn't true. But it doesn't need to be. The lesson is "sometimes the best solution is something you already have". It's not overtly about saving money. It's about re-examining the tools available to you for new roles.

Bringing up the Soviets also using space pens and NASA using pencils until a disaster just muddles it up unless you're Dwight from The Office. Are you Dwight?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

evol262 posted:

The space pen bit isn't true. But it doesn't need to be. The lesson is "sometimes the best solution is something you already have". It's not overtly about saving money. It's about re-examining the tools available to you for new roles.

Bringing up the Soviets also using space pens and NASA using pencils until a disaster just muddles it up unless you're Dwight from The Office. Are you Dwight?

Apparently I am, because if that's the lesson you are trying to impart you are loving failing. No one uses pencils in spacecraft, because the (sharp) tips break off and float around the cabin, and when you accelerate they lodge in soft-but-important places in the crew and ship.

So my point remains it's a stupid thing to say whether it's a story or an allegory, what was yours again?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Also graphite dust is a pretty bad thing to have in a spacecraft interior.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
It doesn't even matter; I'm going to miss the point either way. Not because I'm not sharp enough to get the allegory, but because as soon as you start reciting a story from any random Howe To Middle Manager book, I'm going to completely check out until sounds stop coming out of your head.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sir_Substance posted:

Apparently I am, because if that's the lesson you are trying to impart you are loving failing. No one uses pencils in spacecraft, because the (sharp) tips break off and float around the cabin, and when you accelerate they lodge in soft-but-important places in the crew and ship.

So my point remains it's a stupid thing to say whether it's a story or an allegory, what was yours again?

The point is that it is an allegory teaching a less :spergin: lesson. You're being purposefully obtuse due to your misguided belief in your own rectitude.

Also, please go look up the facts. NASA did use pencils and didn't even drive development of the space pen. It was privately developed, at which point both NASA and the Soviets adopted it. Everybody used pencils in spacecraft.

I see you still haven't gotten over yourself.

evol262 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
You know the feeling of dread you get when the thread is about to devolve into a useless semantic argument? I got that feeling.

Content: 30gb .ost file. Mailbox is only 5gb. What gives?