Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Semper fi ban the white borders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

I vaguely remember when I was a kid in 6th grade hearing that there was a rule that all the cards in your deck had to be the same language. Was there ever actually a rule like that anywhere?

I don't think so. That would have screwed over a lot of people with Legends cards, because there were more packs of Legends printed in Italian than in English.

LaTex Fetish posted:

sometimes I used foreign language cards because they have different art.

if you don't have a deck made around anime jace and chandra and break it out every now and again then you're stupid

I own a Magic card in every language available except Phyrexian (judge foil Elesh is at least $400). Anime Jace is my representative Japanese card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The Duel Deck reprint should have anime Jace and Chandra in it just for amusement purposes.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
They should print more cards in Phyrexian.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

They should print more cards in Phyrexian.

So long as I can figure out more of that language, yes please. Wizards, you teases, Norn was not enough! :argh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I own a Magic card in every language available except Phyrexian
Are you including Pig Latin?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that wizards had someone design an actual phyrexian language, and people have figured out some of the letters and linguistics via the english Elesh Norn.
Then wizards/Doug Beyer says that speaking it is impossible for a human, since we dont have the right vocal cords or something like that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gyshall posted:

Jeux Traditionnels > Magic: The Gathering: Le Megathread: Dixième édition

I believe you mean "Magic: l'assemblée".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'd find the Phyrexian stuff more interesting if they weren't just the Magic Borg.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

That is not "arguably cheating." That is cheating.

If someone asks you "that guy has islandwalk and shroud, right?" you're not required to tell them it also has trample. If anyone's going to argue that then they shouldn't play foreign cards, it's the same as seeing an English card across the table and not bothering to read it and instead asking your opponent.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ramos posted:

So long as I can figure out more of that language, yes please. Wizards, you teases, Norn was not enough! :argh:

Clearly we should solve the language issue by making every card in Return to New Phyrexia all be in Phyrexian.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

OneDeadman posted:

Clearly we should solve the language issue by making every card in Return to New Phyrexia all be in Phyrexian.

This, but about Return to Kamigawa and Japanese.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

If someone asks you "that guy has islandwalk and shroud, right?" you're not required to tell them it also has trample. If anyone's going to argue that then they shouldn't play foreign cards, it's the same as seeing an English card across the table and not bothering to read it and instead asking your opponent.

If the card is not readable without reference to outside materials or persons, I think its unsportsmanlike conduct to lie and say it has different abilities.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I'd find the Phyrexian stuff more interesting if they weren't just the Magic Borg.
I think they're sort of progressing towards being the Magic Cyber-Catholic church now, really.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I think they're sort of progressing towards being the Magic Cyber-Catholic church now, really.

Well, I guess they do have a Magical Robot Pope. :v:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

Shuffling:
- Did they pile-shuffle in 5 piles, twice consecutively, then hand you the deck? This is called a Double Nickel, call a judge immediately if you see this.
I does not matter how many piles they use or how many times they do it. If all they do is pile "shuffle", the deck is not properly randomized as piles don't affect the randomization of the deck.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Here's a hilarious interaction someone found:

quote:

Rule 712.5:

While controlling another player, a player makes all choices and decisions the controlled player is allowed to make or is told to make by the rules or by any objects.

quote:

Rule 100.6b:

Players can use the Magic Store & Event Locator at Wizards.com/Locator to find tournaments in their area.

Judging from Tabak's Tumblr it seems like this really does allow you to use Mindslaver to force your opponent to search for tournaments in their area.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Here's a hilarious interaction someone found:

Judging from Tabak's Tumblr it seems like this really does allow you to use Mindslaver to force your opponent to search for tournaments in their area.

A question came after that, saying you can use Mindslaver to waste their money if they're using mobile internet.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

If the card is not readable without reference to outside materials or persons, I think its unsportsmanlike conduct to lie and say it has different abilities.

Magic allows for a certain amount of "casual deception" and in the story the player doesn't actually lie. The card does have Islandwalk and Shroud, they simply fail to say it also has Trample. Does the player have an obligation to remind his opponent he forgot? Or it simply enough that he answered the question truthfully. The opponent didn't ask "What abilities does the card have?" or "What does the card say" they simply asked "It has Islandwalk and Shroud right?" and in that case "Yes" is a perfectly truthful answer.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Serperoth posted:

This, but about Return to Kamigawa and Japanese.

If we go back to Kamigawa I will totally buy Japanese packs/cards because :spergin:.

Gonna try to convince my LGS to pick up a French box of Khans instead of his usual Korean/Japanese if he can just because.

Spiderdrake posted:

Is the Space-Pope reptilian?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

If we go back to Kamigawa I will totally buy Japanese packs/cards because :spergin:.

A perfectly justifiable reaction.
I'm still sad that Theros block didn't have anything in Greek. Come on Wizards, you did it with Questing Phelddagrif! Although, if they made Greek cards with the same language quality as on Questing Phelddagrif, I'm not sure if that'd have been good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Magic allows for a certain amount of "casual deception" and in the story the player doesn't actually lie. The card does have Islandwalk and Shroud, they simply fail to say it also has Trample. Does the player have an obligation to remind his opponent he forgot? Or it simply enough that he answered the question truthfully. The opponent didn't ask "What abilities does the card have?" or "What does the card say" they simply asked "It has Islandwalk and Shroud right?" and in that case "Yes" is a perfectly truthful answer.

Still dickish.

This is why you should just ask "what is the oracle text of this card?", because people are dicks.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Serperoth posted:

A perfectly justifiable reaction.
I'm still sad that Theros block didn't have anything in Greek. Come on Wizards, you did it with Questing Phelddagrif! Although, if they made Greek cards with the same language quality as on Questing Phelddagrif, I'm not sure if that'd have been good.

I absolutely love my Hebrew Glory. It looks so... portentous.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Entropic posted:

Are you including Pig Latin?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't know whether there is a rule or not that would cover that kind of thing, but there probably should be; that's the kind of thing I'd expect a scummy lawyer to do. I just think its unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of competition to intentionally conceal something that isn't readily ascertainable, but normally would be.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 31, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I know this wasn't actually a great concern of theirs, but I think it's funny that in light of Atinlay Igpay's cumbersome "drawback" its stats really aren't anything remarkable. 6cc 3/3 double strike would most likely be playable in Limited but still not great.

:spergin:

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know whether there is a rule or not that would cover that kind of thing, but there probably should be.; that's the kind of thing I'd expect a scummy lawyer to do. I just think its unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of competition to intentionally conceal something that isn't readily ascertainable, but normally would be.

Why is it scummy lawyering not to actively volunteer pertinent reminders about your cards when your opponent doesn't ask for them?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

Still dickish.

Hugely, and flirting so closely with cheating that I would scour the MTR and try to slap that player with a warning for a communication violation and check to see if they haven't gotten some in the past.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't know whether there is a rule or not that would cover that kind of thing, but there probably should be; that's the kind of thing I'd expect a scummy lawyer to do. I just think its unsportsmanlike and not in the spirit of competition to intentionally conceal something that isn't readily ascertainable, but normally would be.

The problem is we would then need to treat every instance that someone makes a mistake and verbalizes the wrong information, as Unsporting Conduct and that's not really any better.

That's why we have a Communications Policy Violation as a softer penalty, so we can stop players from abusing vague and ambiguous answers or "forgetting" things when its perfectly convenient. If someone is making a habit of "forgetting" and telling their opponent the toughness of their Tarmogoyff was 4 only to then "remember" it was 5 during blockers, we have a record and punish people gaming the system.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 31, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

What language is the bottom left one? Sanskrit?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah there was a pretty long debate about it afterward. If an invite was on the line what would you do? If I'm being truthful and not breaking the rules and I'm at comp rel I think I would probably give myself every advantage I could. I think we can all agree that it's scummy, but also that whether it's scummy or not isn't really the point.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Prism posted:

Looks like it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah there was a pretty long debate about it afterward. If an invite was on the line what would you do? If I'm being truthful and not breaking the rules and I'm at comp rel I think I would probably give myself every advantage I could. I think we can all agree that it's scummy, but also that whether it's scummy or not isn't really the point.

If an invite was on the line, I still would not have done that. I guess I feel like telling an intentionally misleading half-truth is about as fair as quoting Ralph Macchio saying "I shot the clerk."

Prism posted:

Its the Apocalypse prerelease promo Fungal Shambler printed in Sanskrit.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

JerryLee posted:

I know this wasn't actually a great concern of theirs, but I think it's funny that in light of Atinlay Igpay's cumbersome "drawback" its stats really aren't anything remarkable. 6cc 3/3 double strike would most likely be playable in Limited but still not great.

:spergin:

Speaking of drawbacks on Unhinged cards, Carnivorous Death-Parrot has a really well designed one in the context of the set. Saying his flavor text triggers the whole cycle of uncommon Gotcha cards.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The biggest flaw in Unhinged was the number of cards that punished speaking. Once a Gotcha card entered a graveyard, the best move is to play the rest of the game silently.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

The biggest flaw in Unhinged was the number of cards that punished speaking. Once a Gotcha card entered a graveyard, the best move is to play the rest of the game silently.

MaRo said as much in his Unhinged podcast, Gotcha! was an amazingly unfun mechanic.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I can remember two times Gotcha! led to a good story. Once it led to both of us speaking in French, and then I shifted into German because of Keeper of the Sacred Word. Another time, I had 3 Number Crunch in my graveyard, and I discretely told a friend to walk up behind my opponent and ask him for the time. Otherwise, it just led to competitive people being careful not to talk and casual people losing horribly when they tried to have a fun conversation during the game.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

To be fair, anytime that happened it's because people would batten down the hatches in "must win this parody game of a nerdgame :reject:" mode.

I suspect they envisioned people just yukking it up with their buddies as normal, and occasionally someone getting nailed by Gotcha! and it being like slipping on a banana peel, but they didn't envision just how serious business it would still be treated.

A good compromise might have been to have Gotcha work like flashback, as in it casts itself one more time when you gotcha someone and then gets exiled. But I'm sure people would still have chosen to play their super important Unhinged game in morbid silence because god forbid some feelbads occur.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

JerryLee posted:

To be fair, anytime that happened it's because people would batten down the hatches in "must win this parody game of a nerdgame :reject:" mode.

I suspect they envisioned people just yukking it up with their buddies as normal, and occasionally someone getting nailed by Gotcha! and it being like slipping on a banana peel, but they didn't envision just how serious business it would still be treated.

A good compromise might have been to have Gotcha work like flashback, as in it casts itself one more time when you gotcha someone and then gets exiled. But I'm sure people would still have chosen to play their super important Unhinged game in morbid silence because god forbid some feelbads occur.

Really I think the Gotchas like Stop That and Cardpecker were fine since they were more subtle habits you don't really notice you do.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Chorocojo posted:

Really I think the Gotchas like Stop That and Cardpecker were fine since they were more subtle habits you don't really notice you do.

For sure. Also, in the case of Stop That, it was actually a habit that many people would probably have enjoyed having some negative pressure against.

They should have had a card that gets amplified if your opponent puts land in front of spells, and so forth.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JerryLee posted:

They should have had a card that gets amplified if your opponent puts land in front of spells, and so forth.

Why would people be punished for playing Magic properly? :smug: :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Not to get back to "foreign" card chat, but I am an English speaker not living in an English speaking country. I am lucky enough to get about a 50/50 split of English/Traditional Chinese cards in the stores here. Every pre-release I play in uses non-English cards. About 80% of the packs people play with in FMN are non-English. I was just at a GP where the top 8 had people from 5 different countries (Taiwan, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Hong Kong.) Even though the GP was in Taiwan, I would say...about 1/2 of the people playing in it did not speak Mandarin as their first language and a 1/3rd don't use Traditional Chinese to read. Just playing in a Standard side tournament, I faced people using English, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, and Spanish cards. If I were unable to use my non-English cards in FMN and other things when I go back to the US to see my family, I don't think I could make any...deck. At all. If I was not able to use cards in whatever language I have, I wouldn't be able to play Magic at all. So gently caress that.

• Locked thread