Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Tony Todd, Martok, Ellen Tigh, Apollo/Tom Zarek... the list just goes on :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Wow, that was really impressive! Great design on that Ares class ship, too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow! Like seriously, wow. They should just keep doing Star Trek documentaries. That format works out surprisingly well for the universe...

apophenium posted:

Wow, that was really impressive! Great design on that Ares class ship, too.

Definitely some sexy ship designs. I liked that one that had two chunky stardrive hulls with nacelles above them. These people have good eyes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, the guy behind the VFX in that documentary is Tobias Richter, the guy who used to do the Ships of the Line calendars. All of his Trek work is pretty much amazing.

Is this Kickstarter for this project still running?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Drone posted:

Yeah, the guy behind the VFX in that documentary is Tobias Richter, the guy who used to do the Ships of the Line calendars. All of his Trek work is pretty much amazing.

Is this Kickstarter for this project still running?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar?ref=discovery

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So tempted to contribute to it, if for nothing else than the sweet patches.

Oh, and the fact that this project is really great.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Definitely some sexy ship designs. I liked that one that had two chunky stardrive hulls with nacelles above them. These people have good eyes.

That one (and a few others) are from JJTrek ;)

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I think historical documentaries probably work better for fanfilms because they're a series of interviews rather than actors... well... acting or interacting with people, so it comes across as less hokey than most.

That said, I think those Star Trek Continues episodes are the best fanfilms I've ever seen given that they perfectly capture the look and writing of TOS even though the acting is not so great. The vast, vast majority of fanfilms are total poo poo. These are actually watchable in spite of seeming like a vanity project for the guy who plays Kirk.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Drone posted:

He's come a long way...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QFOKVOp2rs&t=516s

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I watched For the Uniform last night. I think it's my favorite Sisko episode.

YOU BETRAYED YOUR UNIFORM!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Subyng posted:

That one (and a few others) are from JJTrek ;)

Oh! Well, it looks drat good.

I think this is possibly what I'm appreciating the most about this fan-film: the aesthetic has seamlessly blended together Enterprise, TOS, and JJTrek into a cohesive development spurred by the pressures of war.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

revtoiletduck posted:

I watched For the Uniform last night. I think it's my favorite Sisko episode.

He played me all right. And what is my excuse? Is he a CHANGELING? NO. Is he a being with SEVEN lifetimes of experience? NO. Is he a wormhole alien? NO. He's just a man, like me. AND HE BEAT ME!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The directing in that is a little off. All the deliveries in the interviews are Really. loving. Slow. It has to be direction because they're all doing it. I agree the visual design is superb.

Also I don't buy Apollo as a Klingon. He has zero energy although again, direction.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why does Hide And Q not get more attention for how absolutely holy loving poo poo hilarious it is?

It's half TOS and half "was this written by the highest bastard to ever write a television script?" I mean Q is always awesome but holy poo poo. I started cracking up at Worf and made up Klingon women taking like 90 seconds out to hiss at each other in the middle of Riker having a psycho attack and Picard approving dead children.

EDIT: I submit my evidence, exhibit A:

Worf's line about the "vicious animal things" is my favorite part. And their very flattering prediction about how Wesley would turn into a lantern-jawed jock.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I think Star Trek did set one unfortunate thing in sci-fi: The several-hundred-person-starship norm.

While I'm sure there would be some larger military ships, honestly, most ships wouldn't really need massive crews. The only show where this is the case seems to be Firefly; the rest either go for the "huge number of people ships" or have a living/augmented/special ship designed for hundreds of people, but it's only a skeleton crew on board.

Honestly it even has the benefit of needing less locations and fakery to make things look huge if they're not meant to be. And less need for constant generic background people who come off as such. Seriously the Enterprise would be far better off with like 30 people on it than massive functioning schools when they're out on the fringe dicking with aliens all the time.

There is no good reason for a spaceship to have humans on it at all, unless the entire purpose of the ship is to move humans, so you might as well go all out and do the city in space thing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LLCoolJD posted:

Worf's line about the "vicious animal things" is my favorite part. And their very flattering prediction about how Wesley would turn into a lantern-jawed jock.

When my wife saw that for the first time, she burst out laughing and said "Will Wheaton wishes!"

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

That documentary looks amazing. Definitely something I never knew I wanted.

revtoiletduck posted:

MAJOR SHUT THAT THING OFF!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

There's so much stuff on the Enterprise-D that you never see because of the budget. It's mostly just the bridge, hallways and ten foreward. I want to see a ship that is a literal city in space that has big, wide open areas with courtyards, stadiums and restaurants. Have entire forests growing in your ship. I'd like to see like, the Enterprise-H as an enormous ship that is a mobile space colony. I'd also love to see AI become commonplace in Trek and see a race of Soong-type androids in the Federation.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gamma have you read the Culture novels yet?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

There is no good reason for a spaceship to have humans on it at all, unless the entire purpose of the ship is to move humans, so you might as well go all out and do the city in space thing.
I actually think Trek backed into a decent excuse for having manned craft, although I can certainly see the point that having such ridiculous numbers are, well, ridiculous. Didn't the Enterprise novels say the apparent downgrade in computer poo poo was because, spoilers, the Romulans started hacking everyone's starship cores and being incredibly smug about it, so instead of simply rolling over to their new Romulan overlords, Starfleet started building with more limited network/computer poo poo?

This would be a funny recurring thing in any future Trek: "Captain Sulu, the race we've just encountered is broadcasting - let's see, we have override virus types theta, gamma, and gamma-three." "Gamma-three? Now there's a rare one. Any success?" "Firewall's bouncing them." "Well, we might as well call them up."

Anyway, they also seem to have rugged and durable force fields and life support and poo poo, so carrying around some repairmen and scientific types, as well as people capable of strategic or diplomatic thinking that isn't just "how many kinetic kill warp bombs can I drop on your civilization before you notice I'm here?" What seems like a good way to use the concept without totally going full Culture would be if just about every Federation starship had probes they sling out whenever they're in an area and recall when they leave (or just leave in place), like the whisker things on seaquest. The Excelsior (or whatever) serves as a central vehicle for them, etc.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thom12255 posted:

The guys doing that TOS Kickstarter released a mini-film the other day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Uywy0iflc

It seems pretty high quality and it's structured as a Federation TV Historical Documentary which is a nice touch.

Pro-click.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I submit to you, Star Trek thread, that the worst character in all of Star Trek is Kes. Everything about her is bad. If you are ever watching Voyager and she appears on screen, just skip it, unless it's a scene involving Tuvok because Tuvok might secretly be the best character in Trek.

I know people hate on Neelix but he really does change throughout the series. He starts off as Jar Jar Binks but he ends up just being a super-nice guy that people have a tendency to pick on. So basically he's the nerd insert. In the later seasons he's just a regular dude, nothing that crazy or eccentric about him. He's actually one of the better characters. Kes, however, never grows. She just sucks.
She got like two episodes to develop her character before they put her on a bus. If they'd got rid of Harry Kim like they were planning to before he ended up on a list of pretty people then she'd probably have had more character development.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It may surprise you to learn that Kes was on Voyager for 4 3 of its 7 seasons. That's over half the show.not quite half the show. The episode where she's going back in time was pretty OK I will admit, but everything else is just terrible.

edit: whoops!

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 31, 2014

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Whoa, it's almost like the difference between a slickly produced fan film and one that's actually watchable was real actors. God that made the trailer for Renegades look embarrassingly bad (yes I know there were a few Trek actors in that mess).

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Phy posted:

Gamma have you read the Culture novels yet?

No, I've just heard people talking about them and read a bit about the universe on wikipedia. It does kind of seem like the sorta thing the Federation would be like after a few centuries.

If you do a Star Trek series that takes place a couple decades in the future, you need to show some technological advancement. If not, then it's just the same poo poo with a different paint job. However, if you make said society too advanced, you run the risk of making a future culture that's totally alien and difficult for people to relate to. I can't see a Star Trek show working where everyone is a bunch of transhuman brain-uploaded AIs or incorporeal space-gods or Q or what have you. The Federation seems to be really opposed to the idea of modifying the human body through genetic engineering and cybernetics after Khan and the Borg, too.

I don't really like the idea of a Star Trek series where they all have easy access to time travel with a push of a button, because then people can go back and rewrite history whenever they feel like it. Someone died? Let's go back and make that never happen. I know they have the temporal prime directive but that can't account for everyone with access to time travel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Thom12255 posted:

The guys doing that TOS Kickstarter released a mini-film the other day - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Uywy0iflc

It seems pretty high quality and it's structured as a Federation TV Historical Documentary which is a nice touch.

Holy poo poo. No speech from Archer in that stadium, and then this. Best non-canon thing I've ever seen, Galaxy Quest excepted.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It may surprise you to learn that Kes was on Voyager for 4 of its 7 seasons. That's over half the show. The episode where she's going back in time was pretty OK I will admit, but everything else is just terrible.
I thought Warlord was okay, since we got to see a side of her we didn't normally see.

(She was only on Voyager for three seasons - one episode in season 4 to leave the series doesn't count.)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

I actually think Trek backed into a decent excuse for having manned craft, although I can certainly see the point that having such ridiculous numbers are, well, ridiculous. Didn't the Enterprise novels say the apparent downgrade in computer poo poo was because, spoilers, the Romulans started hacking everyone's starship cores and being incredibly smug about it, so instead of simply rolling over to their new Romulan overlords, Starfleet started building with more limited network/computer poo poo?

If they did, they or Battlestar Galactica may have a valid lawsuit pending.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, that was pretty drat good. I'm in for $25.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Nessus posted:

I actually think Trek backed into a decent excuse for having manned craft,

The oft-quoted excuse in sci-fi is that seeing the action take place with humans is more exciting, but I think the same reasoning can work in-universe. Sure, we could build a fleet of unmanned ships to do the job, but we'd rather be there ourselves, close to the action. Hence, manned ships.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Subyng posted:

The oft-quoted excuse in sci-fi is that seeing the action take place with humans is more exciting, but I think the same reasoning can work in-universe. Sure, we could build a fleet of unmanned ships to do the job, but we'd rather be there ourselves, close to the action. Hence, manned ships.

This came up on Voyager, but damned if I can remember the context. I think it might have been the episode where the warhead becomes sentient and attempts to fulfill its mission of blowing up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blazing Ownager posted:

Why does Hide And Q not get more attention for how absolutely holy loving poo poo hilarious it is?

It's half TOS and half "was this written by the highest bastard to ever write a television script?" I mean Q is always awesome but holy poo poo. I started cracking up at Worf and made up Klingon women taking like 90 seconds out to hiss at each other in the middle of Riker having a psycho attack and Picard approving dead children.

EDIT: I submit my evidence, exhibit A:

Gene Roddenberry was senile and ripped out of his mind on drugs by that point. His lawyer was literally doing rewrites on scripts.

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I think Star Trek did set one unfortunate thing in sci-fi: The several-hundred-person-starship norm.

That's just space opera and the naval analogy.

I think I see a "copyright 1988" notice in the bottom right there. I'm guessing those animations took hours or days to render.

Gammatron 64 posted:

There's so much stuff on the Enterprise-D that you never see because of the budget. It's mostly just the bridge, hallways and ten foreward. I want to see a ship that is a literal city in space that has big, wide open areas with courtyards, stadiums and restaurants. Have entire forests growing in your ship. I'd like to see like, the Enterprise-H as an enormous ship that is a mobile space colony. ...

Star Trek: Macross, eh? :v:

Nessus posted:

This would be a funny recurring thing in any future Trek: "Captain Sulu, the race we've just encountered is broadcasting - let's see, we have override virus types theta, gamma, and gamma-three." "Gamma-three? Now there's a rare one. Any success?" "Firewall's bouncing them." "Well, we might as well call them up."

Ugh. You might as well go full retard cyberpunk and have a whole crew section (or one plucky teenager, whatever) dedicated to "cyberdecking the enemy's cybercore through cybersubspace" or something like that.

Star Trek doesn't do fully AI-driven combat because that's not what the series is going for. People pulling up the grating in the torpedo room in Star Trek II happened because Nicholas Meyer said he wanted a scene where they rolled out the guns, despite already knowing it was totally anachronistic and impractical. Spock says straight-up in The Ultimate Computer that an AI fought the ship more effectively than a fully trained and experienced crew could.

(i haven't read any enterprise or post-DS9 or w/e novels)

Blazing Ownager posted:

If they did, they or Battlestar Galactica may have a valid lawsuit pending.

are you seriously loving arguing that nobody wrote a story about a robot hacking a starship computer until the early 2000s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Besides, that's still dumb as poo poo, because you can't copyright ideas.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I was always amazed that there is apparently a code you can input and take control of a Federation ship. Kirk did it in WoK, Picard did it in Pegasus, Sisko did it in the ep with Thomas Riker, etc. So there is apparently an easy way to just drop someones shields or stop their engines and all you need is a code, that apparently every other Captain has.

:wtf:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Star Trek: Macross, eh? :v:

As I typed that out, I was actually thinking of the SDF-1 Macross, so yeah. And you know, it kind of works because a lot of stuff from TNG was cribbed straight out of anime including Macross and Space Battleship Yamato.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The whole idea of hacking ship computers and "tapping into" enemy systems and such is pretty stupid anyway. Like, all you have to do to prevent that is disconnect your computer from the space internet.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

I was always amazed that there is apparently a code you can input and take control of a Federation ship.
There is also a code you can input and take control of my computer. I bet your computer has one too!

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burning_Monk posted:

Sisko did it in the ep with Thomas Riker

Didn't Thomas perform the crazy solution of changing the password?

ED: Also we're talking about the Federation here. If they're going on a suicide mission to the neutral zone, drat it, they're bringing the kids! The same people who didn't even passlock the PA system or sensors or access to the room with the giant warp core. Security is not their strong area.

And I forgot the "I don't take changlings seriously, sorry" President that was so incompetent he started an equally insane response. It wouldn't surprise me if the Earth master power grid had a password of Password.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Earth's power grid's password was briefly changed to REDSQUADREDSQUADREDSQUAD before being reset to the default "admin"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crosscontaminant posted:

There is also a code you can input and take control of my computer. I bet your computer has one too!

Does your computer hold a thousand people inside it and also have dozens of multi-megaton weapons it can fire?

• Locked thread