Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Nill posted:

You may as well try forwarding Belzac's referral to nyxnyxnyx and see if they can use it.
Yeah, I just thought of this too. I forwarded it to him and we'll see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

One thing that should probably be indicated is that you don't even have to be brand new to apply a RAF code - as long as you have not purchased any subscription time in any way (so crysta, steam wallet, cards, etc.), you can still apply someone's RAF code.

So, for example, if you quit a long time ago and never subbed but want to come back, ask for someone's code.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
I have no subscription time, using only the free 30 days that came with the base game.

I'll be glad to help out a fellow Goon!

lokk
Nov 18, 2005
i'm legit.
I hit 50 and completed Praetorium a few days ago. Now I feel like I'm floating in a sea of quests everywhere and have no idea which ones to do, which dungeons to do, etc. etc.

I've read guides like "You just hit 50, do this poo poo!" but I feel like some of them are outdated. I'm up to running Moogle Mog (Hard) in the main story and at Garuda HM for my relic weapon quest. Are any of the other hard mode dungeons worth doing for loot, considering that myth gear is ilvl 90?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

lokk posted:

I hit 50 and completed Praetorium a few days ago. Now I feel like I'm floating in a sea of quests everywhere and have no idea which ones to do, which dungeons to do, etc. etc.

I've read guides like "You just hit 50, do this poo poo!" but I feel like some of them are outdated. I'm up to running Moogle Mog (Hard) in the main story and at Garuda HM for my relic weapon quest. Are any of the other hard mode dungeons worth doing for loot, considering that myth gear is ilvl 90?

The most important things at level 50 are:

1) Hildebrand quests
2) Getting your relic
3) Completing the main storyline
4) Unlocking all your roulettes

In that order.

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

ActionZero posted:

My temperatures don't look great, but I am hosed if I can work out how to make my fans work better. The case I got was allegedly good for cooling but I've never been able to work the loving thing out.

Rig cooling is twofold: good airflow, and more importantly how big your heatsink fan is. I built my system about a month ago and started with the stock Intel HSF:

My Haswell CPU was breaking 100°C while playing XIV which is really bad, so I picked up one of these for $30 (Hyper 212 EVO):

My temps dropped from 100°C+ to < 55°C while playing, which is pretty dramatic. $30 will go a long way when it comes to a HSF.

Your 5970 can only benefit from better airflow (unless you want to break your warranty and DIY a heatsink onto it), that's where better case fans can help. edit: cooling the 5970 is going to hit a wall since it's an older card before they were smart enough to implement 2+ fan cooling on the card itself, so don't worry about it too much.

dangersandwich fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

nyxnyxnyx posted:

Email is nyxnyxnyx91 [at] gmail. Thanks a lot if you do select me!

Let me know when you get it nyx and if you use it etc. I have the card coming in the mail next week so you should use your free time and get in Excalibur.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

dangersandwich posted:

My Haswell CPU was breaking 100°C while playing XIV which is really bad

:stare:

Another cooling tip; dust out your pc every few months. Depending on how dirty it is, you can dropyour cpu/gpu temps by 5-10c

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

General Morden posted:

I have no subscription time, using only the free 30 days that came with the base game.

I'll be glad to help out a fellow Goon!

Well, I won't complain if you want to apply a code of mine. Gimme your email? :3:

dangersandwich
May 18, 2014

I know, though it shouldn't be surprising when you think about it. Haswells run hot and the Intel HSF is worse than poo poo.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

lokk posted:

If you want an updated "what to do at 50" list, it's basically the same as any you can find but I would probably add this as step #1:

1) Collect 300-400 Allied Seals from hunt parties, buy a full set of i90 gear.

Then do anything else they ask. It'll save you a significant amount of time. Even if you don't like hunts I'd suggest gritting your teeth and getting even that amount because it'll put you at a proper gear level for an awful lot of content and will make the collection of better gear much smoother.

Hard Mode dungeons are worth doing primarily for capping Myth and Soldiery if you are not super keen into hunts. Even then, they have a use for some of the challenge logs for quick cash, for GC seals from random gear turn ins, and for Glamour options which should be your primary goal throughout endgame.

Remember, it's not what you do, it's how stylish you look when you do it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I play this on an imac that's a couple years old. It plays great. I just wish there was an OS X port so I wouldn't have to use windows.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Well, I won't complain if you want to apply a code of mine. Gimme your email? :3:

How exactly do the bonuses work? Do I need to buy more subscription time? I don't want to screw this up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

General Morden posted:

How exactly do the bonuses work? Do I need to buy more subscription time? I don't want to screw this up.

You do, at least 30 days.

Personally, I have plans to at least get the time regardless, and my 30 day trial just ran out, so whomever wants to give me their code has nothing to risk. :v: (And the more I can play on 'free' time the faster I can migrate to Gooncalibur)

Also, I'd like to restate my idea of making a list of people who want codes and people who have them, for better organization.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

General Morden posted:

Just be sure not to buy subscription time before you get and apply the referral code!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Since I know nothing about PVP in this game and the tutorial for it didn't really explain it well, what are the benefits of PVP and is there a reason I should ever do it other than beating up catbois?

Also man the NPCs on this boat

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Multi person mounts have been in the game since forever. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. :confused:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

General Morden posted:

Yeah, once I send you the email, you go to the Mogstation, apply the code (the button says "Enter Recruitment Code"), and then buy subscription time and we'll both get the leveling hat. :3:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meiteron posted:

1) Collect 300-400 Allied Seals from hunt parties, buy a full set of i90 gear.

Don't do this, buy i90 gear with myth, and save allied seals for sands/oils of time.

CJacobs posted:

Since I know nothing about PVP in this game and the tutorial for it didn't really explain it well, what are the benefits of PVP and is there a reason I should ever do it other than beating up catbois?

Also man the NPCs on this boat

You haven't run into Captain Longhaft yet, have you.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, once I send you the email, you go to the Mogstation, apply the code (the button says "Enter Recruitment Code"), and then buy subscription time and we'll both get the leveling hat. :3:

Apologies for having to make you wait, but would it be ok for you to wait until I can make a character on Excalibur?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

General Morden posted:

Apologies for having to make you wait, but would it be ok for you to wait until I can make a character on Excalibur?

Well, you could put my RAF code in at any time, and then buy your subscription time whenever Excalibur is open. But you can't put a RAF code in once you've bought subscription time.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't do this, buy i90 gear with myth, and save allied seals for sands/oils of time. GC cosmetic gear and minions.
Better advice. :colbert:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

CJacobs posted:

Arena PVP is a sidegame that rewards gear that's better for PVP, so you can ignore it if it's not your thing. Frontlines PVP at lv.50 rewards endgame currency, so it's worth checking out even if you don't particularly like PVP.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

ActionZero posted:

My temperatures don't look great, but I am hosed if I can work out how to make my fans work better. The case I got was allegedly good for cooling but I've never been able to work the loving thing out.

PM me a picture of the inside of your case and make sure your fans are all pointing in the right directions. Don't be afraid to crank the AC in your place either. If it's too cold, put a drat jacket on.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

CJacobs posted:

There's two types of PVP in the game, the wolves' den (4v4, lvl30 unlock I think) and Frontlines (24v24v24, lvl50 unlock). I believe wolves' den is obsolete now due to Frontlines(?) and there's no reason to do them unless you enjoy PVP although Frontlines is fun, gives a decent amount of myth and soldiery tomes, which are used to buy gear at lvl50, and gives lots of wolf marks, a currency to buy PVP (glamour) gear.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reminder that PvP is the only way you can look like a double bear.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

dangersandwich posted:

Rig cooling is twofold: good airflow, and more importantly how big your heatsink fan is. I built my system about a month ago and started with the stock Intel HSF:

My Haswell CPU was breaking 100°C while playing XIV which is really bad, so I picked up one of these for $30 (Hyper 212 EVO):

My temps dropped from 100°C+ to < 55°C while playing, which is pretty dramatic. $30 will go a long way when it comes to a HSF.

Your 5970 can only benefit from better airflow (unless you want to break your warranty and DIY a heatsink onto it), that's where better case fans can help. edit: cooling the 5970 is going to hit a wall since it's an older card before they were smart enough to implement 2+ fan cooling on the card itself, so don't worry about it too much.

I just gave myself a heart attack by dusting my insides with some compressed air. PC wouldn't turn on and I thought I'd broken it somehow cause can of air was soaking.

Turned out the wet was just condensation on the surface of the can, needed to just unplug and plug back in my RAM cause the connections got messed up or something, think a chunk of dust caught in the side of one of them when I did the dusting.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Eej posted:

Reminder that PvP is the only way you can look like a double bear.

THE MULTI-BEAR

I'm still mad that the DRG gear is so lame. That snake outfit is so dumb-looking, almost all of the other ones are better. :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, I'd sure like that hat and two-person chocobo. I'm on Cactuar, send me a PM if you want a recruit code.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Whichever one of you is Kyrosiris in that horrible thread, I applaud you for trying to talk sense to those people, but you're pretty much wasting your time in their little echo chamber.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

Zereth posted:

Well, I'd sure like that hat and two-person chocobo. I'm on Cactuar, send me a PM if you want a recruit code.

Is there a Goon presence on Cactuar?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pksage posted:

THE MULTI-BEAR

I'm still mad that the DRG gear is so lame. That snake outfit is so dumb-looking, almost all of the other ones are better. :(

Oh man August is tomorrow I'm so hyped.

Anyway there are like 4 good looking PvP sets anyway so if you're not a Bard, White Mage, Warrior or Paladin then you don't to worry about grinding to rank 38 ever.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Eej posted:

Anyway there are like 4 good looking PvP sets anyway so if you're not a Bard, White Mage, Warrior or Paladin then you don't to worry about grinding to rank 38 ever.

I mean I guess you could grind to rank 38 as a Bard or you could just get Amon's gear. :v:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Eej posted:

Why did you not include Power Ranger Monks set?

big sperma shot
Jan 13, 2011

Big Cock Jerk Off with MASSIVE cum shot.
is excalibur worth 18 bucks

iKissChicks
May 1, 2008

Serperoth posted:

You do, at least 30 days.

Personally, I have plans to at least get the time regardless, and my 30 day trial just ran out, so whomever wants to give me their code has nothing to risk. :v: (And the more I can play on 'free' time the faster I can migrate to Gooncalibur)

Also, I'd like to restate my idea of making a list of people who want codes and people who have them, for better organization.

Do you still need someone's code? I'd sure love that hat and mount! You (or someone else, if you don't need it) can email me at babygirl4eva321 -at- yahoo.com

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

iKissChicks posted:

Do you still need someone's code? I'd sure love that hat and mount! You (or someone else, if you don't need it) can email me at babygirl4eva321 -at- yahoo.com

Thanks for the offer, but I believe I'll be getting one. If something goes sour there, I'll be letting you know, thank you very much. :)

In kinda-related news, does anyone know if I can get a server transfer with steambux? I know I can buy playtime like that, but I don't know if it's an option to change servers.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

big sperma shot posted:

Yes, definitely.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

big sperma shot posted:

I definitely wouldn't have played this game for so long if I wasn't in the goon guild, even if you don't actively group up with anyone just having people to chat with is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean I guess you could grind to rank 38 as a Bard or you could just get Amon's gear. :v:

What the Birdsong lacks in feather size it makes up for in quantity. :colbert:

Belzac posted:

Why did you not include Power Ranger Monks set?

It's halfway between hilarious and hilariously awful and I've seen it in game like once so I can't really say for sure. I have seen the DRG set dyed purple though and that was... something.

• Locked thread