Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DStecks posted:

It's almost like a device designed specifically for playing games is better for playing games than a text-entry device and a menu-navigation device. :v:
It's purely a matter of personal preference. I hate gamepads, I can't use them at all. Keyboard and mouse is always the easier and better option for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The best and most correct way to play games on PC is with a one-handed joystick for movement and the mouse for mouselook. :spergin:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Have any of Crytek's games been good in the sense that people would play them for fun, and not just for the shiny graphics? They seem to have set up a lot of studios and bought up a lot of IPs for a company that hasn't made that many games.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Far Cry 1 - the original, dunno about the weird Xbox spinoffs - was a great game up until the annoying supermutant poo poo. Would've been better with quicksave, definitely, but it's a fine FPS.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I seem to recall hearing that the console version was actually better. Even though the premise was a touch goofier, having powers made all the bullshit in FC1 more bearable. :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

3rd person games and platformers are the only things I find gamepads to be better for as a rule.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Far Cry 1 - the original, dunno about the weird Xbox spinoffs - was a great game up until the annoying supermutant poo poo. Would've been better with quicksave, definitely, but it's a fine FPS.

John Murdoch posted:

I seem to recall hearing that the console version was actually better. Even though the premise was a touch goofier, having powers made all the bullshit in FC1 more bearable. :v:
In the Xbox spin offs, you got the supermutant poo poo (To fight the supermutants with). Regenning health, super speed, super strength, super vision.
It even got a sequel, Evolution. It had a tree-village gun fight.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Have any of Crytek's games been good in the sense that people would play them for fun, and not just for the shiny graphics? They seem to have set up a lot of studios and bought up a lot of IPs for a company that hasn't made that many games.

Crysis was very good, Warhead was ace, Crysis 2 was OK and I really enjoyed Crysis 3 but I think I'm in the minority there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Farcry 3 was good, so was Blood Dragon.

But not because of the story or anything, but because there's not really any other games that let you hunt folks through a jungle like a cossack.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Farcry 3 was good, so was Blood Dragon.

But not because of the story or anything, but because there's not really any other games that let you hunt folks through a jungle like a cossack.

Crytek didn't do FC3.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

The best and most correct way to play games on PC is with a one-handed joystick for movement and the mouse for mouselook. :spergin:

When I was 8 I played Doom with a flight stick.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

The Lord of Bones won't talk to you until you prove yourself in the Arena by killing the Champion. Okay, you head to the Arena.

The Champion won't come out to fight you until you find three MacGuffins nearby. Whatever. Find the MacGuffins, kill the Champion, go back to talk to the Lord of Bones.

Well, he'll talk to you, but you can't get what you need until you find and return his three Dread Lords spread around the rest of the realm.

You head out, two of them are straightforward enough, but the third one won't submit until you find three different MacGuffins for him! Like, what the gently caress, this is Padding: The Game. At least the game is mechanically fun as hell, otherwise I would have tossed it a while ago.

Also, once you do bring back the Dread Lords to the dude, he just kills them on the spot anyway. What an rear end in a top hat!

I've never played this game, but that DOES sound like something an evil demonic entity named The Lord of Bones would do.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

10 Beers posted:

I've never played this game, but that DOES sound like something an evil demonic entity named The Lord of Bones would do.

Maybe he was ribbing you !!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Maybe he was ribbing you !!

So humerus!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

kazil posted:

This is silly the keyboard is such a poor tool for most types of video games.
Haha, nope.

The only games that are actually better with a controller are platformers, certain third person games, and rhytmn games. I will never get people who play FPS games with controllers, it's like trying to eat soup with a fork, so constraining. For most quality genres, the keyboard and mouse are vastly superior.

I've been playing a lot of War Thunder, and I dislike how annoyingly high cost the skilled gunners are in experience. It's probably one of those things deliberately high to push people to buy experience, but still, annoying. You have to have an equal number of skilled gunners as actual gunners on your plane or else you can't really level up their gunning above stormtrooper level accuracy, that I've seen anyway.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sardonik posted:

For most quality genres, the keyboard and mouse are vastly superior.

:pcgaming:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

10 Beers posted:

He's the king of the underworld, and he's not really evil or demonic, just kind of a dick. Darksiders is pretty silly with its character design.

e: Also in the third realm (so just after all the Lord of Bones stuff), in the first dungeon your objective is to find three pieces of a rod.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

John Murdoch posted:

You joke but with certain games, using mouse with your right hand and this:

In your left hand actually is pretty awesome. Best of both worlds.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

John Murdoch posted:

I only play my Japanese dating sims with my one handed joystick

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think it boils down to what you're more comfortable with. I grew up playing fps games on consoles, and as a result I'm a nervous wreck with a mouse.

It may be a gratuitous amount of aim assist talking, but when I use my game pad in multiplayer shooter games on the pc I'm still in the top three most of the time.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

bilperkins2 posted:

What is that? Because that seems like a good idea.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

SpookyLizard posted:

What is that? Because that seems like a good idea.

It's the Playstation Move Navigation Controller, usually coupled with the PS Move controller similar to a Wii Nunchuck:

But they both independently sync via Bluetooth so you can connect just the Navigation Controller to your PC and use it without the PS Move controller. I use this with some shooters, mostly ones that have only a few buttons you'd need to press. It has two triggers on the back, for like a duck and jump button.

edit: this isn't me, but here's a vid of someone using this setup on Battlefield 3, with links to how to set it up and whatnot in the description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVQE0fekdds

bilperkins2 has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Jul 31, 2014

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 2.

Also, a ton of the sidequests are collectathons with no map markers. I have one to find various specters that I can't even see unless I'm wearing a certain amulet, another one to find four pieces of a giant golem, and several for finding various generic tokens that I can turn in for rewards. gently caress that, I'm not wasting my time without even some clues. Darksiders 2 is a fine game, but it's got so much of this filler, especially compared to the first game that was so tightly made and overall better.

Playing Dark Siders 1, it felt like a God of War or Ninja Gaiden or any number of games like that (which I love), but it was just missing some small touches. Darksiders 2 comes along a fixes a ton of those, and it was great; but then out of no where, they toss in MMORPG-style items, quests and areas. Nothing kills it for me more quickly than this. I could tolerate it in Kingdoms of Amalur, but that too got excessive with the fetch quests - also, it's more in the RPG genre to begin with.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Captain Lavender posted:

Playing Dark Siders 1, it felt like a God of War or Ninja Gaiden or any number of games like that (which I love), but it was just missing some small touches. Darksiders 2 comes along a fixes a ton of those, and it was great; but then out of no where, they toss in MMORPG-style items, quests and areas. Nothing kills it for me more quickly than this. I could tolerate it in Kingdoms of Amalur, but that too got excessive with the fetch quests - also, it's more in the RPG genre to begin with.

Darksiders 1 is a Zelda game, and it's brilliant. The fighting isn't quite as fleshed out as God of War or something, maybe, but the combination of exploration and puzzle solving and fighting was right up my alley. Darksiders 2 staples on a lot of more standard RPG elements and I don't think they mesh that well together.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SpookyLizard posted:

The PSX had a solid gamepad to begin with, but they added the sticks, and then didn't move the other face buttons to somewhere where you could use them AND retain use of the only really good thing about gamepads (the sticks).

Face buttons and thumbsticks are both operated with your thumbs though. You only got so many thumbs. That's what the triggers are for.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Darksiders 1 is a Zelda game, and it's brilliant.

Yeah definately, Darksiders 1 was the best Zelda game that's been released in years.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

swamp waste posted:

Face buttons and thumbsticks are both operated with your thumbs though. You only got so many thumbs. That's what the triggers are for.

Thats my point. It is dumb that they changed the design to include something youd always want (joysticks!), and then still have a bunch buttons that you cant use while using the sticks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

bilperkins2 posted:

That would be pretty drat good for fighting games. I've found with a controller I can't hit the buttons properly, but with a fighting stick I have trouble reliably hitting diagonals.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

Thats my point. It is dumb that they changed the design to include something youd always want (joysticks!), and then still have a bunch buttons that you cant use while using the sticks.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd rather have that then a setup which doesn't utilize my most powerful opposable digit at all unless I've got a specialty mouse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Do you mean your only opposable digit? I dont find my thumbs integral to my gaming with my mouse hand. I have a bunch of thumb buttons i use basically only when web browsing and in the occasional game when i remember they exist.

I also wouldnt consider a mouse thumb buttons a speciality mouse. Not that there arent mice with thumb buttons that are speciality mice , just that they arent mutually inclusive. For gaming, flexible and customizable DPI settings are more important than a couple of extra buttons on the mouse.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is there a video on how you would use this?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It looks pretty straightforward, it clips onto the controller and you push the triggers up with your index fingers or the side of your hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fjIE-cKdAw

I didn't watch the video but it probably explains it better than I can.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

im pooping! posted:

I didn't watch the video but it probably explains it better than I can.

Nope. It doesn't.

Don't bother. That poo poo's unwatchable. Just go with whatever you assume as far as how it works.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They're generally great games, with Crysis 2 being the exception. If you play them on the harder difficulties they're also genuine, non-bullshit challenges, and they give you enough freedom to use different methods that getting through situations using your own tactics is satisfying.
Generally, I think they did a better job of the multi-approach gameplay than FC3, namely because you stick your thumb up your rear end, run into the middle of an encampment in FC3, spinning your mouse around in a circle while screaming, and end up managing to kill everything, so there being a "variety" of ways to approach situations in FC3 is pretty pointless since you can walk over any encounter without much effort.

Speaking of that, I generally prefer FC2 for that reason, it was startlingly easy to die (although not brutally retarded like FC1), and there were some fantastic mechanics like guns jamming and the buddy system, along with the fact that the AI was generally competent and clever and had tons of little tricks.
The pacing was off (as many people will tell you) but the core gameplay of FC2, along with its mechanics are generally better to me and more in line with what Crytek was trying to do with the original FC (and ended up accomplishing generally in Crysis), which was to provide a bevy of options and make using those options well necessary because the game wasn't so easy as to let you just walk right through it.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm just gonna say that I think the GameCube controller is the best console controller - mainly because it doesn't support "Stick-click" controls. I really don't get why game developers think its a good idea to have the player run by having to hold in a control-stick and yet it seems to show up in a lot of fps'.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Most GameCube games had the controller's slightly non-standard face button layout in mind when designing it, so it worked out fine. However, it was awkward using them to play SNES games on the Wii's virtual console. Lots of games have you run with Y and jump with B, so you often had to stretch your thumb a long way, partly over the A button when playing Super Mario World, Super Metroid, or Donkey Kong Country.

Later Nintendo controllers also forgot that the GameCube had those analog R and L triggers that measured how you pushed on them. The Rogue Squadron games were the only ones I remembered that made use of that, but it's still annoying to need that controller for those games and another ideally to play virtual console games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

scarycave posted:

I'm just gonna say that I think the GameCube controller is the best console controller - mainly because it doesn't support "Stick-click" controls. I really don't get why game developers think its a good idea to have the player run by having to hold in a control-stick and yet it seems to show up in a lot of fps'.

R1 or L1 are far better run buttons. I hate the stick click in any scenario you have to hold it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This was made so that kids with motor problems and deformed hands could play videogames, so making fun of that is kind of dick move.

Actually the one I posted is commercially marketed to provide an "advantage" by freeing the players' thumbs from button presses.

There is a company called Special Effect(as far as I can tell, it is a not-for-profit charity) that designs custom controllers for gamers with motor disibilities. You may have read about it in GI magazine a few months back, but here is a link to the article. It's pretty informative and also kinda :3: