Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously? That's the worse version of Derby Stallion. I guess they're going to keep doing horse racing games regularly then. I suppose it was bound to happen once Arino turned 40.

Maybe he'll start drinking One Cups of cheap sake on camera by season 20.

Fooley posted:

How old is how now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I know it sucks for you guys but I'd be alright with more adventure games.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is against "Family Jockey", another horse racing game on the Famicon.

Oh COME ON

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
The machine noises when Yanai walked killed me

:iiam:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Do the ADs sometimes tell him what order to do the levels in? I was surprised he knew to start with Chill Penguin, when he himself said that ice levels are usually the hardest.

Katayama gave him the order in Mega Man 4 challenge, but I think that's the only time. It's amazing how he managed to guess his way through the correct boss order in MM3 though.

And yes I was kinda sceptic about how he knew to make that jump in Storm Eagle stage. Guess we can pin on his natural curiosity? At least I'd like to believe it's the Kacho spirit that makes him do stuff like that and succeed in the end.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Seconding the love for the machine noises. It's no ponkoron, but then, what is?

Also, anyone know what the deal was with the mystery fourth subtank? The only mention I saw of a subtank glitch in a quick Google indicated that the tank produced by that method would vanish, and take the third tank with it, if it was overfilled--and there's no way Arino would have avoided overfilling it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Katayama gave him the order in Mega Man 4 challenge, but I think that's the only time. It's amazing how he managed to guess his way through the correct boss order in MM3 though.

And yes I was kinda sceptic about how he knew to make that jump in Storm Eagle stage. Guess we can pin on his natural curiosity? At least I'd like to believe it's the Kacho spirit that makes him do stuff like that and succeed in the end.

Play enough video games and you end up learning that if there are bonuses and optional upgrades to be found, then they're likely to be out of the way or hard to reach or just plain the wrong direction.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

In the MMX part 2 arcade trip Golgo 13 game, I laughed about the fact that there's ONE person visible in the plane and Arino says he can't find the target and ends up failing.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

On one of the latest GCCX Channel app clips they say why Kibe forgot to write the script for Super Mario Land.

Turns out he usually writes them the night before they shoot, but he was drinking that night, so going with his 'No writing while drunk' policy, he didn't write it.

After that, Kan made him stand up so he could yell at him, like with Arino in Derby Stallion when he asked "Do we need a script?"

In a related note, apparently Inoue was out drinking all night with "a female TV producer", and fell asleep on the train going to work the next morning and didn't wake up until he got to Saitama. And not on the train, but the platform, so he moved/was moved some how.

Is this show making the staff into alcoholics?

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 31, 2014

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

SAGCCX rules. Thanks, all of you!

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Yay, another episode. Thanks a lot.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

I'd like to thank SAGCCX for all the work they've been doing, we appreciate it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Is this show making the staff into alcoholics?

Actually, Arino doesn't drink regularly. Hamaguchi is a teetotaler and that rubbed off on Arino. He will drink on occasion, but dislike of alcohol is so notable that it shows up in his biographies.

I was actually wondering about that since one of the major causes of a lung abscess like Arino had is alcoholism. Turns out barely any drinking, and no smoking. He's an odd one in the world of Japanese entertainment.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Azazell0 posted:

I dunno, natural curiosity can be a pretty strong driving force. I did the exact same thing out of curiosity the first time I got to that stage.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh wow, I wasn't expecting the second part so soon---and with yet more seemingly coming? Might as well go ahead an internally cue up the Sonic drowning music.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, Arino doesn't drink regularly. Hamaguchi is a teetotaler and that rubbed off on Arino. He will drink on occasion, but dislike of alcohol is so notable that it shows up in his biographies.

I was actually wondering about that since one of the major causes of a lung abscess like Arino had is alcoholism. Turns out barely any drinking, and no smoking. He's an odd one in the world of Japanese entertainment.

I know, but Arino's not staff. He doesn't suffer through editing and directing.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

It might be selective memory, but I can't recall a time when the room cracked up as much as when the Machine revealed his nickname, at least not in a while.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Azazell0 posted:

He didn't use the dash at all in Spark Mandril's stage but then dash jumps off the highest peak in Storm Eagle's stage. It's a work but given the context I think it was a necessary one. Arino would be unable to bumble through the game with the starting life gauge. In general, I think they give him slight hints but then let him play on his own even if slight hints to dash or slide would make things significantly easier. Mario World is a good example, they show him how to get infinite 1ups but with a method that requires a certain amount of skill.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Turns out barely any drinking, and no smoking. He's an odd one in the world of Japanese entertainment.
He makes up for it with gambling.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TEHJOE posted:

He didn't use the dash at all in Spark Mandril's stage but then dash jumps off the highest peak in Storm Eagle's stage. It's a work but given the context I think it was a necessary one. Arino would be unable to bumble through the game with the starting life gauge. In general, I think they give him slight hints but then let him play on his own even if slight hints to dash or slide would make things significantly easier. Mario World is a good example, they show him how to get infinite 1ups but with a method that requires a certain amount of skill.

You would think, and yet he beat the final boss with three sub-tanks and a half-upgraded lifebar. He is a Super Player.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

He makes up for it with gambling.

That does explain the horse racing games...

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I still wonder how much of that is played up for a joke, or if he actually see's 50:1 odds and thinks he'll win a ton of money.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fooley posted:

I still wonder how much of that is played up for a joke, or if he actually see's 50:1 odds and thinks he'll win a ton of money.

I think it's a showbiz thing. He's just imagining "man, it'd be great if I could hit the jackpot live on camera".

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Mega Man X is really easy compared to the NES games. That is the main thing I realized. I never played any of the other X series games, do any of those games raise the difficulty bar?

Also the helmet is nearly useless.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

So was the source video for MMX 60 fps too or what? Is the show usually 30 or 60?

Japanese TV shows are generally at soap opera-like 60 fps with surprisingly few exceptions. Basically all video games prior to 3D being a thing run at least partially at 60 fps especially if there's flickering and similar things going on.

Probably the best classic videogame example is Ninja Gaiden 2: the red shadow ninjas you can get flash at 60fps.

Krakhan posted:

I'm really liking the Mega Man X episodes at 60 fps. If you guys can keep getting the source videos at that frame rate, please keep offering that for future releases. Thanks a bunch!

Duly noted. Most of our future releases should offer 60fps as an option. Our next release, however, won't, due to not having an adequate source to work from. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MAMESHIBAAAA

Man, this cleanup is taking forever. Suddenly, something that looks like a sausage on the floor catches my eye. Wondering how a pipe overflow could cause something like a sausage to appear, I approach and pick it up, holding it in the palm of my hand. "Kachou On!" a tiny voice cries out from the sausage. It rolls over, alive.

"What the gently caress?" I cry out, still holding my palm out to allow the sausage to stand.

KACHOU SHIBA

I am mesmerized by its cute little button eyes and I gaze into them intensely. I swear I can hear an angelic female voice singing.

"Ano, shitteru?" the impossible sausage dog says, using a long-forgotten language I don't recognize at all. Fortunately, our intense gaze has granted me subtitles somehow.

["Hey, do you know?"]

I bring my palm closer to my face, wordlessly signaling that I am ready to hear the answers to the great life mysteries about to be bestowed upon me.

"The original Super Game Boy runs games 2.4% too fast."

Our gaze shatters, violently interrupting the singing I heard. Despite the banality of the news, or perhaps because it was so banal, the shock hits me like a ton of bricks. I turn deathly pale, picturing the uncanny valley of not-quite-perfect-but-so-close gameplay, like an old pictureless television you can tell is on due to a faint high-pitched sound only you seem able to hear. A few seconds later, I turn violently ill.

~FIN~

Game Center CX Episode 184 - Super Mario Land

https://mega.co.nz/#!TdNSnIZR!jgu_qCNxUpBNV2PLMsfSpR26BlWIqTZHIm94DajX_N0

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

:stare: God drat that's fast. Part of me wants to bitch about not finishing off older seasons before starting on episodes that just aired, but honestly, as long as the stuff keeps coming, I suppose we'll get there eventually.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

univbee posted:

"The original Super Game Boy runs games 2.4% too fast."
It's okay. I linked to the 4.194304Mhz crystal in the other thread.

FanofPortals
Sep 22, 2006

BILL FILLMAFF'S GREATEST DISAPPOINTMENT
Good God, it's a glorious shower of Kacho! :dance:

Thanks to everyone at the SA-GCCX team for all your tireless work. :)

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

FanofPortals posted:

Good God, it's a glorious shower of Kacho! :dance:

Thanks to everyone at the SA-GCCX team for all your tireless work. :)

It's like gold! A golden shower!

Wait, that came out wrong...

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thank you so much for all of these new Arinos. My week's been kinda lovely, but nothing cheers me up faster than watching this middle-aged gamer struggle against the odds. :unsmith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheMcD posted:

:stare: God drat that's fast. Part of me wants to bitch about not finishing off older seasons before starting on episodes that just aired, but honestly, as long as the stuff keeps coming, I suppose we'll get there eventually.

Older episodes are being worked on. They will come. There's one that's being worked on that I've been looking forward to for a while but because the segments are incredible.

I'm pleased that we've got about half of the clown episodes done (following recent patterns they should be finished in two more episodes).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man, I'm glad I decided to check the last page instead of just looking at the OP because I missed that Mega Man X episode.

I love how they let Arino go so far without giving him access to the last two sub tanks and the armor, he even missed a few hearts.

Speaking of the sub tank, did Arino accidentally bug the game into getting two sub-tanks or did they get the third off screen without Arino knowing?

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Woo woo, another episode. I'm loving this.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I get off work in 90 min, but now that seems so far away...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I love how I spoiled myself regarding the scenes where Arino phones Kibe, and they were still some of the most hilarious poo poo I've ever seen in the show. It seems like whenever Arino gets mad at somebody over the phone, hilarity ensues.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The thing that really gets me about Arino in Megaman X is he doesn't seem to figure out what makes the weapon effective. If it just does damage, he considers it fine and spams it. It's so frustrating to see him do a small amount of damage and yell out "Switch your weapon!"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Xelkelvos posted:

The thing that really gets me about Arino in Megaman X is he doesn't seem to figure out what makes the weapon effective. If it just does damage, he considers it fine and spams it. It's so frustrating to see him do a small amount of damage and yell out "Switch your weapon!"

My brother is the same way. Come ON, Arino. You've played HOW many Mega Mans now?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pleased that we've got about half of the clown episodes done (following recent patterns they should be finished in two more episodes).

Awesome. I hope the king can lift the curse. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Oh dang, three Arinos in three days; this is really brightening up my stressful week. Thanks again, guys!

And now I wish Kachou Shiba was a thing. :colbert:

Kirbychwan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 1, 2014