Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I finished Broadchurch and it was great. It's everything we wanted The Killing to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Putrefaction posted:

HBO has picked up David Simon's miniseries about public housing that he talked about doing years ago.

Yay, more David Simon TV. :allears:

Man, seeing credits for Star Wars Episode VII is causing some weird reality-disassociation poo poo. It's like being a kid in June 2003 finally, after three agonizing years, getting to see a new Harry Potter book "in the wild", only moreso. It's a number that shouldn't be.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Whenever the new Random Reviews thread happens, tonight's animated special ep of Hot in Cleveland needs to be on the list. I'll leave it at that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes!

https://twitter.com/danger5tv/status/494725984969445376

I'll make a new thread for the show sometime soon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about Sharknado 2 was how many people were using the hashtag #Sharknado2TheSecondOne. That's a total waste of nine characters, ya morons!

(I haven't seen it)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just finished season 1 of Utopia. I really enjoyed it but some of the stuff involving kids was hard to watch. Soundtrack and shooting style was pretty rad.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I have a feeling Alan Sepinwall wouldn't have so many health issues if he weren't morbidly obese.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

drunkill posted:

Yes!

There is a god...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Was just thinking about making a thread myself! Can't wait to see the 80s aesthetic in action. One page that they tweeted out might imply that the big bad is going to be Khrushchev.

So pumped.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

I have a feeling Alan Sepinwall wouldn't have so many health issues if he weren't morbidly obese.

This a general statement of fact, or did something happen?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I don't see any indication he's having any new health issues, dude just finished up two busy rear end weeks of work and is taking a vacation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

This a general statement of fact, or did something happen?

Just an observation I made after listening to his last podcast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sharknado was supposed to be "so bad it's good" but it was actually just boring and bad, did they actually make Sharknado 2 funny? Most Asylum movies aren't really worth watching over any other random bad movie from the 70s or whatever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

Sharknado was supposed to be "so bad it's good" but it was actually just boring and bad, did they actually make Sharknado 2 funny? Most Asylum movies aren't really worth watching over any other random bad movie from the 70s or whatever.
I thought Sharknado was pretty funny, personally, but yeah, Sharknado 2 is even better. I agree, most Asylum movies are just a waste of time, but this one was actually an enjoyable experience.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Asian School Girls is a pretty funny Asylum movie (it's on Netflix right now), probably because it's not really a direct ripoff of anything. I think it's supposed to be a Tarantino/anime mashup. Anyway, it's better than Sharknado.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Here were my impressions from 1, which I saw at the special Rifftrax event a couple of weeks ago: Tara Reid can't act for poo poo. Like, there are different types of bad performances and I want to respect that, but one should not be allowed to call somebody's acting "terrible" until they've seen the veritable Badlands that is Tara Reid's emotional range in this movie. Other than that, the slapdash VFX lent it an ephemeral charm but not to the level of, say, Birdemic. In no universe would I call Ian Ziering an underrated actor but I thought he held his own in the lead. In what I could only describe as a magic trick (and what Irish Joe might describe as "hormones"), Cassie Scerbo managed to make me care about her apparent death and shocking survival despite delivering line readings that sounded like she's perpetually 15 minutes from clocking out for the day. So between the two of them and some other "good-but-not-good-enough-to-be-recognized" performances, they were able to sell it just enough to not make me want to hurt myself. Also, though I instinctively realize that it's a bad song, I could not get "WEATHERMAN SAAAAAYS" out of my head.

So I thought it was a bad movie, but a good social event. Compare your reaction to mine and get a baseline.

Got it? Good. I thought Sharknado 2 was pretty much the same deal, except it was (naturally) willing to embrace the pop cultural impact it had. So you've got this movie stacked to the gills with celebrity cameos, and a more obvious parody streak running through the film. This self-awareness obviously robs the film of some of that ephemeral charm, but I thought the comedy they got out of it worked for the most part. So take that as you will.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, and if you'll forgive the double post, go look at Alexandra Daddario's Twitter feed from last night. I saw some retweets; she apparently went on a modest-yet-ridiculous Twitter rant about wanting to cameo in Sharknado 3 and the Rambo-type poo poo she'd want to do in it. A taste:

quote:

I'd wrestle a shark for sharknado 3. I'd wrestle a shark in Times Square w/ one hand tied behind my back while baby sharks gnawed on my feet

There're only five tweets but they're all ridiculous.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Just caught up on Hell on Wheels after a year or two of not watching it. I like it, save for a very odd/dumb plot point in the S3 Finale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An interesting article about prop money. The Secret Service has some rules like the money is supposed to only be one sided and either 75% or 150% of the size of real bills.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

drunkill posted:

Yes!

One of the things that I appreciated about Danger 5 was that it had the good sense to end before it ran out of steam, I'm hoping they can keep season 2 going strong.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I started watching Sherlock Cumberbatch edition. It's pretty fun, just not very serious. Detective Autist is too annoying sometimes but Moriarty is awesome. Wasn't this also Tumblr's favorite show because of all the gay jokes or something?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Selklubber posted:

Wasn't this also Tumblr's favorite show because of all the gay jokes or something?

That, and Cumberbatch is a lithe, non-threatening male for young women to get hot over.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Yeah, Sharknado was lame poo poo that was trying to be "funny" bad and incompetent, which almost always leads to "not funny" bad and incompetent. The Rifftrax of it was pretty funny, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ABC's latest crazy reality/game show is on right now.

It's some kind of LARP/Fantasy TV show/game show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

That, and Cumberbatch is a lithe, non-threatening male for young women to get hot over.

Also, it's a good show. Just because tumblr likes a thing doesn't necessarily make that thing bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Brought to you from A PRODUCER OF THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRIOLOGY!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thrawn527 posted:

Also, it's a good show. Just because tumblr likes a thing doesn't necessarily make that thing bad.
Just most of the time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Aphrodite posted:

What's it called?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rarity posted:

What's it called?

The Quest.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Selklubber posted:

I started watching Sherlock Cumberbatch edition. It's pretty fun, just not very serious. Detective Autist is too annoying sometimes but Moriarty is awesome. Wasn't this also Tumblr's favorite show because of all the gay jokes or something?

Irish Joe posted:

Going off of the Dashcon panels there are a lot of internet women with a fetish for cheekbones.

The internet and real life converging posted:

British Men with… Cheekbones!: Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, David Tennant…we all know how addicted you are to those faces and those impeccable cheekbones. Fangirl with others over how much you can’t live without those, and others, beautiful faces.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Going off of the Dashcon panels there are a lot of internet women with a fetish for cheekbones.

Why not write some fanfic with sexy pathologist woman? Or sexy detective woman? :heysexy: or sexy landlord woman...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm Asian and I've never had women throw themselves at me because of my cheekbones!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, and David Tennant. Is "tall, pale, and angular" the physical ideal for creepy obsessive internet types?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also the Hannibal guy

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I'm only a few minutes into The Quest but it's already a tough sell. The producers went to great lengths not to cast a single sweaty LARP neckbeard in their LARP reality show, in fact just about everyone is downright attractive. I know it's TV but....MY IMMERSION!

And why is everyone a Paladin? Can we get a couple fighters or clerics or magic-users up in here? I'd hate to be in the D&D group where everyone is the same class.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Sober posted:

I'm Asian and I've never had women throw themselves at me because of my cheekbones!

British accent? That's the other common denominator of

raditts posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, and David Tennant. Is "tall, pale, and angular" the physical ideal for creepy obsessive internet types?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

NBC renewed Undateable because why the hell not I guess.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Something I thought about Sherlock now: Sherlock says he hasn't got any friends, but he has. Watson, pathologist lady, his landlord, police chief guy, his brother (sort of). The only friend Watson has is Sherlock. No army buddies, medschool friends or anything. I don't think he has talked to anyone not related to cases except for the failed dates. He's not even an annoying show-off savant!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Selklubber posted:

The only friend Watson has is Sherlock. No army buddies

He did have that one army buddy who came out of hiding for his wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Deadpool posted:

NBC renewed Undateable because why the hell not I guess.

I like Ron Funches so I will continue to support things that support him even if the thing I'm supporting isn't really that funny

support.

• Locked thread