Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

rivals posted:

Agree. Play uniel. It's a Good Game (Henaki-endorsed!*)

* Not actually Henaki-endorsed until 8/22/2014.

"I'm never going to play Aquapazza."

> Proceeds to play Aquapazza

"I'm done with this game forever now."

> Plays it again

The Henaki Fighting Game Experience™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

NecroMonster posted:

This.

I like the game but I won't actually play it yet because it just changes too drat much at this point.

The combo system has not changed in literally 8 months

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

RickoniX posted:

The combo system has not changed in literally 8 months

Tons of small details keep getting changed and shifted around and I just don't have the patience to pay attention right now.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

NecroMonster posted:

Tons of small details keep getting changed and shifted around and I just don't have the patience to pay attention right now.

No they don't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brett824 posted:

People were talking about how combos were only long in the past, and I looked into the future and saw that future characters still have long rear end combos and are also still weirdly sexualized.
dude that's an impractical training mode styling combo

like i dont like sg either but come on

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

interrodactyl posted:

"I'm never going to play Aquapazza."

> Proceeds to play Aquapazza

"I'm done with this game forever now."

> Plays it again

The Henaki Fighting Game Experience™

every video game i ever play in a nutshell

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Please stop talking about That Game™

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Actually playing games is the poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Buhbuhj posted:

Please stop talking about That Game™
aquapazza isnt that bad man

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There have been some character-specific changes since then. Fortune lost a lot of bullshit that impacted the length of her combos. And I certainly don't blame anyone who doesn't want to play a game in flux like that because it made me quit for like four or five months because I was sick of it.

It's a necessary sacrifice to make the game better though. What do you want them to do, release a new game version at full price with a new name every six months? :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well I mean there's a reason most competitive games limit major, gameplay-affecting patches to once every couple of months.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Man I came here to talk about fightin sticks, tournies, and button punchin. Instead everyones just game punichin. Ya don't punch the games you punch the buttons folks!

Anyways last fighting game I played was SF2 Turbo for the SNES now I got SF4 Arcade for PC with the prepurchase for Ultra after watching EVO.

Was pretty cool to watch. I tried Chun-li and Sagat, but finally settled on Vega. Really liking him. Just gotta master that izuma dunkin.

Also I am very much hoping for TE2 PS4 controller reveal before mid august! Cause drat does the XBONE one look sweet

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
People don't play Skullgirls because the offensive game is so braindead-easy and reset-heavy that matches feel like guessing games once you really anything past intermediate level. Let's say a Filia clips your toes and does the standard combo on you. At many (any?) points during that combo, you have to guess anything up to a 5-way (or more!) reset attempt. She could do a low, an overhead, a grab, an air grab, a cross-up, a cross-under, a burst-bait, a reversal bait, a super bait and so on. If you guess wrong, then you have to eat another combo leading into (you guessed it) another game of guess-the-reset.

This was just my experience with it though. I just didn't like that my losses boiled down to 'well, I guessed wrong'. It was like rock-paper-scissors on crack.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Brett824 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRxt6qwqMNY

This is literally the only skullgirls footage I've happened upon in the past 4-5 months and the combos really still seem too long just not literal minutes like vanilla.

Let me help you out there son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8QCj2jYfM0

*lights some birthday candles*

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Al Borland posted:

Man I came here to talk about fightin sticks, tournies, and button punchin. Instead everyones just game punichin. Ya don't punch the games you punch the buttons folks!

Anyways last fighting game I played was SF2 Turbo for the SNES now I got SF4 Arcade for PC with the prepurchase for Ultra after watching EVO.

Was pretty cool to watch. I tried Chun-li and Sagat, but finally settled on Vega. Really liking him. Just gotta master that izuma dunkin.

Also I am very much hoping for TE2 PS4 controller reveal before mid august! Cause drat does the XBONE one look sweet

Big thread for that game here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622531

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

illezt posted:

Skullgirls is literally maybe 50% the speed of MvC2; the combo system is also incredibly obtuse (MvC2, for all its executional requirements, is fairly straightforward and intuitive once you learn it). And even though they're both teams of 3, the way team dynamics work (from what I understand) are vastly different.

Skullgirls combos:
Magic series, normals cancel into specials and supers, specials cancel into supers
Everybody has a unique launcher that is jump cancellable
If you link into a move you've used before, the opponent can burst out unless you have done less than 3 links.
If you link after filling up your green bar, the opponent can burst out unless you have done less than 3 links.
Assists cannot be put into a burstable state.
You get 1 otg per combo with a lenient window and a red indicator, all further knockdowns are techable with a blue indicator.
Assists that cause the first knockdown of a combo have a green indicator, have a shortened otg window, and are techable.
Various moves are limited to once-per-combo on an individual basis.
If you snap an assist and opponent off the edge of the stage (the corner) simultaneously, the assist will wallbounce while the point character leaves. The opponent will generate meter until their next playable character enters.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 combos:
Magic series, normals cancel into specials and supers, specials cancel into supers
Since there are only 4 buttons, light chained into itself will produce a medium normal of that type.
Everybody has a unique launcher that is jump cancellable. 3HP and 3HK are universal launcher shortcuts.
If you normal jump, you only get a single attack. Normals are cancellable like ground chains but chain lengths are reduced. You cannot cancel specials into supers. Airdash cancels disallow further use of normals. Teleporting while airborne resets these limitations. You cannot alpha counter from any airborne state. Blocking will use your attacks and can only be done once per jump.
If you super jump, chains are just like when you're grounded, but connecting a heavy normal (or certain specials that weren't immediately preceded by a throw) may cause knockdown + Fly Screen.
A move that can cause Fly Screen will only do so if your combo consists of 3 or more hits AND at least 2 consecutive airborne hits OR those requirements were achieved by a single character during a previous combo who switched out while the opponent was in hitstun then switched back in and is performing their first new combo on the opponent.
After causing Fly Screen, you cannot superjump, dash, airdash, special, super, tag, fly, or call assist despite being in a visually grounded state.
You have a 1 frame otg window on knockdowns, all knockdowns are techable.
Connecting 50-60 normals (using a hidden stun value) in a single combo will cause the opponent to fly out of your combo in a invulnerable spinning state that leads to a techable wakeup.
Various moves will alter your jump state on an individual basis (like switching you or your opponent between normal and super jump).
Mashing the buttons during various moves will increase the damage, number of hits, or allow a character to escape a combo and return to neutral.
If you snap an assist and opponent at the same time anywhere, the screen locks in place (creating an instant corner and also forcing the camera to stay low during superjump attempts), and the assist will wallbounce while the point character leaves.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 1, 2014

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Broken Loose posted:

Skullgirls combos:
Everybody has a unique launcher that is jump cancellable
If you link into a move you've used before, the opponent can burst out.
If you link after filling up your green bar, the opponent can burst out.
Assists cannot be put into a burstable state.
You get 1 otg per combo with a lenient window and a red indicator, all further knockdowns are techable with a blue indicator.
Assists that cause the first knockdown of a combo have a green indicator, have a shortened otg window, and are techable.
Various moves are limited to once-per-combo on an individual basis.
If you snap an assist and opponent off the edge of the stage (the corner) simultaneously, the assist will wallbounce while the point character leaves. The opponent will generate meter until their next playable character enters.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 combos:
Since there are only 4 buttons, light chained into itself will produce a medium normal of that type.
Everybody has a unique launcher that is jump cancellable. 3HP and 3HK are universal launcher shortcuts.
If you normal jump, you only get a single attack. Normals are cancellable like ground chains but chain lengths are reduced. You cannot cancel specials into supers. Airdash cancels disallow further use of normals. Teleporting while airborne resets these limitations. You cannot alpha counter from any airborne state. Blocking will use your attacks and can only be done once per jump.
If you super jump, chains are just like when you're grounded, but connecting a heavy normal (or certain specials that weren't immediately preceded by a throw) may cause knockdown + Fly Screen.
A move that can cause Fly Screen will only do so if your combo consists of 3 or more hits AND at least 2 consecutive airborne hits OR those requirements were achieved by a single character who switched out while the opponent was in hitstun then switched back in and is performing their first combo on the opponent.
After causing Fly Screen, you cannot superjump, dash, airdash, special, super, tag, fly, or call assist despite being in a visually grounded state.
You have a 1 frame otg window on knockdowns, all knockdowns are techable.
Connecting 50-60 normals (using a hidden stun value) in a single combo will cause the opponent to fly out of your combo in a invulnerable spinning state that leads to a techable wakeup.
Various moves will alter your jump state on an individual basis (like switching you or your opponent between normal and super jump).
Mashing the buttons during various moves will increase the damage, number of hits, or allow a character to escape a combo and return to neutral.
If you snap an assist and opponent at the same time anywhere, the screen locks in place (creating an instant corner and also forcing the camera to stay low during superjump attempts), and the assist will wallbounce while the point character leaves.

~fart~

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

(MvC2, for all its executional requirements, is fairly straightforward and intuitive once you learn it)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Please bring Guilty Gear to PC with GGPO so I never have to think about assist games again, tia.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Broken Loose posted:

(MvC2, for all its executional requirements, is fairly straightforward and intuitive once you learn it)

Yes I'm glad you agree.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Did KOF13 end up sucking?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

interrodactyl posted:

Yes I'm glad you agree.

It is actually pretty easy if you ignore 85% of the stuff that restricts combo length, but at that point it's identical to Skullgirls.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Did KOF13 end up sucking?

KOF13 is good and doesn't cause Skullgirls-level arguments.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Potsticker posted:

speaking of long rear end combos

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Potsticker posted:

That said, Evo top eight was super boring this year. A lot of people blame the commentators, I blame Kim and Iori.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lessail posted:

speaking of long rear end combos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gca2gAUyybA

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfemN9fET6I

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

I'm never sure which of those combos is dumber

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

That said, Evo top eight was super boring this year. A lot of people blame the commentators, I blame Kim and Iori.

I agree it's more a case of people funneling to focus on the top popular characters.

Damnit, I thought this was going to be a KoF combo video. I don't want this poo poo on my recently watched list. :argh:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

This was just my experience with it though. I just didn't like that my losses boiled down to 'well, I guessed wrong'. It was like rock-paper-scissors on crack.

That's why I don't play Marvel-like games either.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

The shame of it is that while it's a pretty good game, XIII doesn't represent the rest of the series (especially with combos therein, crippled movesets, etc). Sadly, most folks won't ever know that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The only good thing about Skullgirls are big band song videos.

Everyone should stop talking about games no one likes and instead complain how Capcom needs to make a new Project Justice instead.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
KI stream from Max. Been learning some Injustice from his vids.

http://www.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

The only good thing about Skullgirls are big band song videos.

Everyone should stop talking about games no one likes and instead complain how Capcom needs to make a new Project Justice instead.

Project Justice is only for pedophile pigs and all the artists should be fired and jailed

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Gutcruncher posted:

Project Justice is only for pedophile pigs and all the artists should be fired and jailed

That's an oddly-specific picture to just stumble across.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I haven't seen the stream but I thought Tokido's Chin resets were hype as gently caress this year and when I hear people complaining about KOF being boring this year it makes no sense to me.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

ZerodotJander posted:

I haven't seen the stream but I thought Tokido's Chin resets were hype as gently caress this year and when I hear people complaining about KOF being boring this year it makes no sense to me.

The commentators really really blew it.

Blazeblue was the best even if Dacidbro kept getting the names mixed up.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

This year's best event for me was probably either Ultra finals or Blazblue finals

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
i like the boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

mango gay touchies posted:

This year's best event for me was probably either Ultra finals or Blazblue finals

I liked the cutie blazblue player in a dress who played the top 8.

• Locked thread