Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

The best part about the Spit 22 is that it's really loving easy to continuously circle around the front of B17s and murder them in head ons :allears:

Except for that single .50 cal round that blackens your wing and makes your plane unflyable...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Mr. Wookums posted:

With floats or certain naval maps load up bombs to start regardless, drop them, then land since with the air start you cannot change loadouts mid map.
It's really frustrating that they have air restarts at all when it's not appropriate (landing a non-Naval plane on a carrier being the appropriate case).

I'll have to remember from now on to bring "just in case" bombs first spawn since I've definitely lost rounds (usually as Japan) due to not having a bomb or two to finish out the game and not being able to get them due to air respawn on land-based runways. Or, if they weren't :gaijin:, they could implement the better solution that would be maps with air respawn kicking you back to the spawn screen between finishing repair/rearm and launching you into the air.

YellerBill posted:

Note to self: flying British planes with BR 3.3 guarantees I will face Ki-84 Ko Hayates. :suicide:
So long as Fauxkaido exists, I find this utterly impossible to believe.

Have they done straight 2x RP ever before? That is a neat thing and perhaps better than 4x first wins (since having a lovely win doesn't infuriate you, not to mention it still counting for all matches played including losses).

Have/don't want most of the premium rewards; :911: Zero and :hitler: La-5 seem the only intriguing exceptions, if they don't have ridiculous requirements. That said: if you don't have the :ussr: A-10, :britain: Mustang, or :911: Spit IX, then you should try for them because they're all pretty great.

Anyone recommend trying to snag the Jagdpanther/Su-122P or are they basically identical to their in-tree companions?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Could be a world of change once they take care of the bullet/shell damage issues that apparently, they just figured out. No more single .50 taking out a wing or a click-burst of them taking out a Korean top tier jet, no more Italian .50 being uncooked pasta, no more spark cannons unless it is an actual splash of a tracer, no more 20/30mm or bust for most countries, no more 37mm being the only thing you need to instagib any plane ever when 50mm to 75mm makes dents nine out of ten times.
And mineshot actually becoming something you don't want to get hit by again :unsmith:

(Pultzerstorer 50mm shots actually hit and hurt pretty well with the default belt, it's just an overtiered slow fartknocker that only gets bombers in AB with 80k of mod research required you can get belts that make you a threat against non-bombers.)

A world of change where US and Russian BR will continue going down.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

MrLonghair posted:

Could be a world of change once they take care of the bullet/shell damage issues that apparently, they just figured out. No more single .50 taking out a wing or a click-burst of them taking out a Korean top tier jet, no more Italian .50 being uncooked pasta, no more spark cannons unless it is an actual splash of a tracer, no more 20/30mm or bust for most countries, no more 37mm being the only thing you need to instagib any plane ever when 50mm to 75mm makes dents nine out of ten times.
And mineshot actually becoming something you don't want to get hit by again :unsmith:

(Pultzerstorer 50mm shots actually hit and hurt pretty well with the default belt, it's just an overtiered slow fartknocker that only gets bombers in AB with 80k of mod research required you can get belts that make you a threat against non-bombers.)

A world of change where US and Russian BR will continue going down.

Not sure how you expect any jet to survive a burst of 50cal.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bUm posted:

It's really frustrating that they have air restarts at all when it's not appropriate (landing a non-Naval plane on a carrier being the appropriate case).

I'll have to remember from now on to bring "just in case" bombs first spawn since I've definitely lost rounds (usually as Japan) due to not having a bomb or two to finish out the game and not being able to get them due to air respawn on land-based runways. Or, if they weren't :gaijin:, they could implement the better solution that would be maps with air respawn kicking you back to the spawn screen between finishing repair/rearm and launching you into the air.

So long as Fauxkaido exists, I find this utterly impossible to believe.

Have they done straight 2x RP ever before? That is a neat thing and perhaps better than 4x first wins (since having a lovely win doesn't infuriate you, not to mention it still counting for all matches played including losses).

Have/don't want most of the premium rewards; :911: Zero and :hitler: La-5 seem the only intriguing exceptions, if they don't have ridiculous requirements. That said: if you don't have the :ussr: A-10, :britain: Mustang, or :911: Spit IX, then you should try for them because they're all pretty great.

Anyone recommend trying to snag the Jagdpanther/Su-122P or are they basically identical to their in-tree companions?

SU-122P at least is amazing, unlike the ISUs it gets 2 spawns, and the cannon is only sliiightly less good than the SU-100's.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Confirmation bias strikes again.

Except for the sparkle 50-75mm.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Michaellaneous posted:

A click of 50cal, not a burst, so <10 bullets that one expects a jet to survive.

They do not survive 50mm hits to the front from challenging the Narwhal head-ons and losing and god loving damnit, I just ruined the BR.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Azran posted:

Except for the sparkle 50-75mm.
30mm sparks are also definitely a thing.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

AceRimmer posted:

30mm sparks are also definitely a thing.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

I have so much more faith in German 30mm than their 20mm. Mineshots doing what they're meant to do.

Still wondering what the hell the M4 37mm shells are made out of and exactly what the 75mm duck projectiles carry.

e: SM79b bombing requires the plane to be moving slowly, not far above ground, not moving in any direction or things will go awry, confirm/deny. Having terrible precision despite maxed maintenance bombing with it in AB and RB unless I'm lawnmoving.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 1, 2014

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Not-Bad bias!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MrLonghair posted:

I have so much more faith in German 30mm than their 20mm. Mineshots doing what they're meant to do.

Still wondering what the hell the M4 37mm shells are made out of and exactly what the 75mm duck projectiles carry.

e: SM79b bombing requires the plane to be moving slowly, not far above ground, not moving in any direction or things will go awry, confirm/deny. Having terrible precision despite maxed maintenance bombing with it in AB and RB unless I'm lawnmoving.

Italian bombs are just flat out inaccurate. You can miss bases from 2km up because :italy:.

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.

Michaellaneous posted:

Real saber pilots often reported that the .50 cals were very insufficient for reliably downing migs, let alone better fighters. There's a reason noone has used .50 cals as a primary weapon since korea and the americans wanted a replacement by mid ww2. The .50 cals in war thunder are probably doing too much damage by at least a factor of 2 or 3 according to the best available info.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Now THAT would be a good way to discourage people from playing America. :v:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

[head slowly unscrews, thousands of miniature Yer-2s pour out of neck cavity and immediately fly towards bases]

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Real saber pilots often reported that the .50 cals were very insufficient for reliably downing migs, let alone better fighters. There's a reason noone has used .50 cals as a primary weapon since korea and the americans wanted a replacement by mid ww2. The .50 cals in war thunder are probably doing too much damage by at least a factor of 2 or 3 according to the best available info.

quote:

Under Lt.Col. John England, Chief of the Fighter Gunnery Section, a Gun Evaluation (GUN-VAL) Committee was formed - which included many 4th FIG combat veterans. Among the evidence they reviewed was a paper written by Maj. Martin Johansen, which was supported by his gun camera film showing a MiG-15 absorbing multiple hits from .50 caliber bullets without any evidence of mortal damage to the pilot, airframe, or engine.
:eyepop:

Wooper posted:

LAME.gif
I'm just mad I can't mount 20mm on the K4 109 because I'm a bad shot I admit it. :qq:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
For the sake of gameplay, I think that a few .50s should be equal to a 20mm cannon. If you get hit enough to be shot down in this game, it has less to do with shot damage and more to do with shot placement and overall positioning. Let the belt sperging begin!

For real though, don't get hit!

Adrian Owlsley posted:

There's a reason noone has used .50 cals as a primary weapon since korea

Also being able to engage people BVR totally changes everything.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

Italian bombs are just flat out inaccurate. You can miss bases from 2km up because :italy:.

Aw man. At least I now have the Italians all unlocked and ready for the day (this year) they get their own full country selection.

Thief posted:

For the sake of gameplay, I think that a few .50s should be equal to a 20mm cannon.

I agree and I look forward to the day it equals a German 20mm cannon (unless slotted with APHE), hit and miss with Japanese cannons (as if projectile size was tiny) but no problem with Hispanos.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MrLonghair posted:

I agree and I look forward to the day it equals a German 20mm cannon (unless slotted with APHE)

You seem to be seriously hating on German 20 minengeschoß. poo poo owns. Wreck planes all day.

edit: for a big cannon that actually does seem hit or miss, I nominate Russian 23mm, other than those found on the IL-2(M)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Raw damage values and lag sparkles aside, the ballistics in this game are actually really good. They make DCS - the game that spergs literally jerk their joysticks off to - look like a joke when it comes to the way MGs and cannons are handled.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I just tried the PBJ. Do any of you weird European countries allow people to marry virtual planes or anything?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Plan Z posted:

I just tried the PBJ. Do any of you weird European countries allow people to marry virtual planes or anything?

The best PBJ moments are when it pukes and shits at the same time and two German planes catch fire.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

bUm posted:

The Jagdpanther Befehlswagen is just a regular Jagdpanther with an extra antenna and Zimmerit coating. It's a good TD in terms of vehicle performance but suffers from only having one respawn (thanks germany for classifying it as a heavy tank destroyer :argh:).
The SU-122P is a monster, it's a SU-100 with a long barreled D-25S 122mm gun. It retains the two respawns of the T-34 based soviet TDs and it carries a gun that will obliterate pretty much anything while offering a rather flat trajority and both good penetration and great behind armor effect. The SU-122P is certainly worth spending some time to grind it... the Jagdpanther is nice if you like the Jagdpanther and want one with a bit more income and/or different looks, but it's pretty much the exact same vehicle as the regular Jagdpanther.

INKRO
Feb 7, 2012
Welp, looks like I was wrong about there being daily challenges for the prem tanks, hit 90 kills with Soviets about 10 minutes ago and got my Mod 43.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Is the 75mm on the PBJ as fun as I'm imagining or am I going to be severely disappointed?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Is the 75mm on the PBJ as fun as I'm imagining or am I going to be severely disappointed?

Yes, but you have to be a decent shot with it. Every big gun takes practice.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

The hitbox for light pillboxes is broken, so it can be hard to hit them. Also the default 75mm belt is AP/HE, and the HE does nothing to hard targets. So if you're after ground targets only, you'll be wasting every other shot.

Besides those gripes, once you get good at aiming it, you'll wreck poo poo left and right. Especially if you go up against Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5je-xA3r1fI

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

The Door Frame posted:

No, you will not be disappointed by the PBJ.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Lee Outrageous posted:

No, you will not be disappointed by the PBJ.

Excellent

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I am legitimately worried about the arrival of US ground forces because the PBJ exists. It will probably end or at least seriously challenge the dominance of the IL-2/Yak-9T.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
My first baby mode match with the PBJ ended up with someone flying a biplane, and I couldn't stop laughing when I managed to nail it with the bloop gun. Then again I only play arcade and have A Thing about heavy fighters and attackers, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

In RB/SB can attackers still hold their own against fighters, or are they just relegated to lawnmowing?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Darksaber posted:

My first baby mode match with the PBJ ended up with someone flying a biplane, and I couldn't stop laughing when I managed to nail it with the bloop gun. Then again I only play arcade and have A Thing about heavy fighters and attackers, so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

In RB/SB can attackers still hold their own against fighters, or are they just relegated to lawnmowing?

If it's got guns on the front it can hold its own against fighters.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

This is such a ridiculously glorious video for our beloved cartoon videogame :patriot:

xblackdog
Dec 19, 2013

Organic Lamb Sauce.
Made for angels, by angels.
Can't stop American steel!

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
The first time I flew the Ki-43 I crashed headon into another one and we both flew away undamaged :3:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

xblackdog posted:

Can't stop American steel!

That's one hell of an engine!

even with the zookz on if zookz are an option mount them

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

lmao I think that is the best video of War Thunder that I've ever seen

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I made a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xesnqM_yQg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Well it can clearly be seen why Ki-84s have the BR they have. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I just got a 150k battle trophy. Kinda glad I couldn't sleep and decided to play a round or two.

• Locked thread